As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Miss Universe National Costumes: The Cosplay of Nations 2018 (NSF56K)

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Swords were lacking this year

• Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    The Philippines is a decked out player in a fps doing a post kill taunt.

7NAmG9B.jpg

having the costume rolling round on casters behind you seems like cheating somehow

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    I've appended most of my earlier posts to include a higher quality image of the dresses.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    edited December 2018
    When I first saw France in the gallery I assumed USA, since star boob-kini, but I missed the soccer shoulder pads, world cup earnings, and Eiffel tower charms.

Ae6mrku.jpg

Cambiata on
    "If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    Georgia is wearing a wedding dress. She seems to do that a lot.

d5pOni5.jpg
    A4Nd2eI.jpg

• Options
    edited December 2018
    Germany is somehow meant to represent the freedom of its citizens because they are a Democratic Republic. Your guess is as good as mine. The belt has LEDs!

2Us9FQ2.jpg

Edit: Ooooh, it represents the dove of peace, I missed that somehow. Here's hoping, Germany.

Double edit: I see how I missed it now. I heard "double peace" the first time. And she does have two peace symbols on her:

USKKMeP.png

Cambiata on
  • Options
    Ghana has come to fuck your shit up, ya'll.

ZMigE4d.jpg

• Options
    Great Britain somehow represents women's suffrage. I mean, I get that the sash and ballot box do, I just don't understand how the purple and green feathers apply. (ok, reading tells me that these were the colors adopted by the suffragettes. )

jtMnoND.jpg

• Options
    Greece is wearing an historical replica of a queen's outfit from the mid to late 1800's

ZNT2fbn.jpg

• Options
    edited December 2018
    And here comes Guam with another national flower. See what I mean? They must get together beforehand! This is a Bougainvillea.

4N6BJq1.jpg

Cambiata on
  • Options
    Was spoiled on Guatemala earlier. She's supposed to represent the moon or some such.

AjP785c.jpg

• Options
    Y'know if one theme is national flowers, the other is DEFINITELY vengeful sun gods/goddesses

Haiti:

y5VTf3s.jpg

• Options
    edited December 2018
    Honduras came dressed as... an Orlesian noble?! Or possibly a fancy murderer. (porque no los dos)

HFNZUOU.png
    hpKDiJ3.png
    hNjlbEF.jpg

Cambiata on
  • Options
    Hungary wore a swimsuit. Yawn.

2FAkVgw.jpg

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    omg i love this time of year.

happy belated birthday, Cambi!

• Options
    Iceland is wearing the national flower, Lupine. IT'S A CONSPIRACY, I TELLS YA. I can't wait for the breath of fresh air that is Japan.

Wq38JVX.jpg

• Options
    edited December 2018
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    Also, India carried a GODDAMN THRONE WHAT IS EVEN HAPPENING?

Nehal-Chudasama-509x713.jpg

Her dress is carrying ACTUAL FURNITURE ON STAGE.

Ok when you said she was carrying furniture I didn't realize that IT'S A THRONE SHE ACTUALLY SITS ON, WTF.

Dp9vf0T.jpg
    Lka3xRz.jpg

Announcers: "This costume weighs 105 pounds."

Edit: Oh, she has a sword, too.

Cambiata on
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    Indonesia, bird of paradise, blah blah blah

RGG4QMt.jpg
    EAxoBcL.jpg

Edit: Oh, she made the birds wings flap.

Cambiata on
  • Options
    Ireland's costumer just got high and threw something together with an LED clover on it.

vhalk18.jpg

• Options
    edited December 2018
    Thailand doing another floor show, right on.

Edit: I don't know what they're dressed as and I don't care. MORE PLEASE.

H03gyrg.png

sbWiQ6p.png

Uh oh, is Thailand introducing the Queen of Cray?

m0MVaD8.png

No, she's a little too toned down for that. She must just be a minor official of Cray.

Now is the time when we dance:

idQ5U7D.png

Oh they brought some glitter boys to dance also:

wxeo4pr.png
    iKNQNQ7.png

Seriously, I love this.

QUliXO7.png

Cambiata on
  • Options
    Israel is inspired by a mountain. Bring back the glitter boys, make them dance around the more boring contestants!

u0uSPaW.jpg

• Options
    Jamaica is an Olympic show girl. Thank God Japan is next.

q8xCinq.jpg

• Options
    edited December 2018
    Oh cool. Japan's outfit at 1:00:36 is a samurai out... PSYCH! IT'S SAILOR MOON!

https://youtu.be/S6NxMMLgHPc

Ok as mentioned earlier JAPAN KILLED IT. Ever since the year America dressed as Optimus Prime, I've been saying that the only way anyone could top that is if Japan wore Sailor Moon or Gojira and she WENT AND DID IT. THIS IS PEAK MISS UNIVERSE NATIONAL COSTUMES. Unless she does Gojira next year in which case YES PLEASE.

(also small correction, her first costume is not a Samurai, it's a female ninja, a kunoichi. Yes, I am a fucking weeb, shut up.

yiq7MHB.jpg
    zOQ9dmw.jpg

Edit: And Miss Japan is so clearly jazzed about this costume too, I love her.

Cambiata on
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    Kazakhstan got tired of people making fun of her bride dresses and did... a gold eagle sun-god tower?

UYzziaU.jpg

Cambiata on
  • Options
    I like how smooth Japan was about changing it from kunoichi to Sailor Moon in a few steps
    It went from coat to cape in a few steps

• Options
    edited December 2018
    I unironically love Kenya's costume:
    16c80e339d32487f9820ce9b58b3f119.jpg

It's a fun and classy look that you don't normally see in fashion.

Ooh, added context:

"nspired by the Umoja village. This all female village is a sanctuary for women against violence, forced marriages and genital mutilation. Founded in 1990 with only 15 women with no craft or farming knowledge, who had had to flee themselves. Today, it has survived filed court cases and being attacked, (the former husband of one of the founders attacked in 2009).

The Village takes in women and runaway girls, and raises orphans, abandoned children and children with HIV. As of 2015 there were 47 women and 200 children living in the village. The village now has its own kindergarten and primary school, and funds itself with traditional Samburu, colourful bead work, home-brewed alcohol and vegetables.

Miss Kenya is wearing the traditional beadwork of the Samburu people that all people in the village must wear. Uses the beading technique, which the women sell to fund the village."

Fucking rad.

qb2pGYk.png
    F8zGooj.png

It feels like a secondary theme, after the abundance of flowers, is women's empowerment.

Cambiata on
  • Options
    I do not understand what they did to Korea. She looks pregnant even after she removes her jacket.

4YpQPz4.png
    BG1FoNl.jpg

• Options
    Ok Kosovo's shit is gorgeous. Far too understated for the event, but gorgeous.

TVpWN9q.jpg

• Options
    Kyrgyzstan attempts to demonstrate the popular dance known as "dabbing", but is defeated by her shoulder ornaments.

Lkpa6sV.jpg

• Options
    Laos at 1:05:00

On-anong-Homsombath.jpg

Sand people always ride single file to hide their numbers...

Yes, this continues to be badass.

9woan0w.jpg

Laos don't need no stinking casters.

• Options
    edited December 2018
    Cambiata wrote: »
    I do not understand what they did to Korea. She looks pregnant even after she removes her jacket.

4YpQPz4.png
    BG1FoNl.jpg

It's a Japanese influenced hanbok

5mkqwktrvohh.png
    qgu9mt8vblui.png

Brainleech on
  • Options
    Brainleech wrote: »
    Villain in a children's cartoon
    drvzppu8kbcp.png

This is Lebanon, by the way. Per the announcers it represents strong women. Strong women who are enacting a three part plan to rid themselves of She-Ra once and for all.

MbwNzE9.jpg

• Options
    Cambiata wrote: »

4YpQPz4.png
    BG1FoNl.jpg

It's a Japanese influenced hanbok

5mkqwktrvohh.png
    qgu9mt8vblui.png

No, I know it's traditional costume, this one just seems wider and lumpier than I'm used to seeing.

• Options
    Malaysia is a bit interesting. I wondered why they gave her a pooch, but it's apparently supposed to be a traditional boat carving.

B4Xk2LN.jpg

"In a costume inspired by Bangau Perahu, designed by Salleh Hamid and created over six months.
    The woodcarving of ‘bangau perahu’ (boat’s crane or sail guard) is commonly seen on traditional fishing boats by the Malay community in the East Coast. The Bangau Perahu, is believed to provide protection to fishermen.

The costume inspired by the boat’s crane (sail guard), commonly seen on traditional fishing boats in the East Coast. Salleh applied the “bangau” (on the right shoulder), “okok” (on the left shoulder), and caping on the neck.

A corset shaped like an armour is laden with wooden carving in a traditional Malay pattern known as “Awan Larat.”
    The handcrafted 3D element of the front shield resembles the front of the boat, while the playful shimmer of the skirt was inspired by the glistening sea water as the boat cuts through the water. The boots are designed to be the waves, designed by local shoemaker Rhea Tan Yen Yen.
    “I am excited and proud to be able to wear these beautiful creations to represent my country,” said Teoh, 21. "It’s iconic and rich in Malay culture, making it uniquely Malaysian. Definitely feeling strong, bold and confident donning it.""

• Options
    I found a video explaining it but it's in hangul so

• Options
    Malta: 'nother country, 'nother national flower. This flower is called "Il Widnet il Bahar."

rS3fpUD.jpg

• Options
    Poor Mauritius, they just found an old drum major costume and made her wear it.

py7tWYO.jpg

• Options
    edited December 2018
    Mexico is carrying not one, not two, but three FIVE jaguars on her costume.

AakkJQ5.png
    8009DbT.jpg

Cambiata on
  • Options
    Mongolia joins Lebanon in her plans, and offers her entire henchman army for the cause.

K9v8Ahb.jpg

• Options
    I found a video explaining it but it's in hangul so

And weird it's not the first time they have done that look
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZG0ju2qM6M