As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dinos and Druids, A Tasty Romp through Table Top Games

• Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    I’m putting a lot more questions than answers into this thread, sorry, but what if fighters ate all of the warlord stuff that really should have been brought over from 4e?

Hmm, warlords. Discuss.

• Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    I don't know that I would describe the 5e Wizard as a generalist class, if only because the perks that come with picking your specific subclass definitely encourage you to specialize in a certain school of magic, and a lot of the general use spells that aren't oriented around healing exist on a bunch of spell lists for other classes.

Fighter is absolutely a generalist class, but I think you need at least one of those in a game like D&D, especially when trying to sell it to new players. Sometimes it's nice just to have a class where the conceit is "You hit things real good and you're pretty hard to kill," with a minimum of class mechanics to keep track of. Plus, Action Surge is probably the most versatile class feature in the entire game right now, to the point where just multiclassing two levels of Fighter is almost always a good return on investment.

Fighters are hardly generalists, they're just limited to only fighting, and get a few early perks to reflect that. Paladins, Clerics, even Bards can also fill the role of "hit good" but are vastly more flexible because they get spellcasting

Eldritch Knight is always an option, though. It might not be the best option compared to just multiclassing into a proper spellcasting class, but it'll do in a pinch.

If the fix for a pure martial class being boring and lacking without a spellcasting equivalent is a subclass that gives them spellcasting, there is probably an issue

I mean, I think whether or not you find a pure martial class boring and lacking without some kind of spellcasting component is down to personal taste rather than some mechanical failing.

I'm just saying that I think Fighter fills a valuable niche of giving folks the option of just playing something very simple and straightfoward, with some potential for added utility later on, dependent on which subclass they end up picking.

Having said all that; Champion is by far the most boring subclass in 5e, and I don't think anyone would've been sad if WotC had cut that option out before finalizing the options for Fighter.

My issue is that, according to the publishers of the game, the three pillars of the game are combat exploration and roleplay, and fighters are competitive in one of those and bring nothing to the table in the other two (as a class)

Spell casters still out class materials in every way that matters, it only makes since that martials with spellcasting outshine pure materials

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    SproutSprout Registered User regular
    I liked my Battlemaster fighter a lot, but ymmv.

Aasimar monk does sound tempting for my next character though...

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Warlord would be a good potential fighter archetype.

Really there is no reason, other than tradition, for a fighter to have less options in combat than a wizard. Instead of attack you could just give them different swings that behave differently.

The question then becomes if you want all classes to be as complex as the wizard or if you want some classes to be simpler mechanically.

• Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    I’m putting a lot more questions than answers into this thread, sorry, but what if fighters ate all of the warlord stuff that really should have been brought over from 4e?

Hmm, warlords. Discuss.

Yeah 4e had the best take on fighter

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    A dude who swings a sword good is popular because its very archetypal and intuitive to play, especially for new players

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    In regards to punching in 5e:

How about bare fists deal 1d4 + Strength temporary damage and can only kill if you get the target to 0 HP and choose to be lethal, otherwise the damage is ignored after the fight.

So you could beat up the criminal and knock them out, they wake up in jail with action movie-bruises and a bust lip, but they’re not really harmed.

Or you could punch an ally for 5 temporary damage in the face during a sparring match, with that 5 HP replenished straight after when they take a rest.

What if that, you nerds?!

I think that perpetuates the harmful myth created by movies and punching sports that unarmed violence only causes fake cosmetic physical harm

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    i think just making fists 1d4 + STR, but also they count as dual wielding by default so you can bonus action attack

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular

Hmm, warlords. Discuss.

Warlord was one of my favorite utility classes in 4e, and I would love for it to return, but I think Clerics and Paladins already fill that same niche pretty well. Plus, Battle Master is basically Warlord Lite already, just without the healing utility.

[IMG][/img]
  • Options
    i guess my ultimate point is that each class should bring something unique and meaningful to the table for all 3 pillars of the game, and that fighters don't do that

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    In regards to punching in 5e:

How about bare fists deal 1d4 + Strength temporary damage and can only kill if you get the target to 0 HP and choose to be lethal, otherwise the damage is ignored after the fight.

So you could beat up the criminal and knock them out, they wake up in jail with action movie-bruises and a bust lip, but they’re not really harmed.

Or you could punch an ally for 5 temporary damage in the face during a sparring match, with that 5 HP replenished straight after when they take a rest.

What if that, you nerds?!

I think that perpetuates the harmful myth created by movies and punching sports that unarmed violence only causes fake cosmetic physical harm

You're right, I should quit using DnD to teach my kids about safe roughhousing like a GI Joe PSA

• Options
    Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    i guess my ultimate point is that each class should bring something unique and meaningful to the table for all 3 pillars of the game, and that fighters don't do that

I don't disagree, but as someone who tends to favor very simple Bruiser builds or high survivability options for my characters, I think there's something valuable in just having one class who excels at one pillar, and can bring some degree of utility to the other two depending on how the player wants to build that character.

[IMG][/img]
  • Options
    and like you can declare all your damage nonlethal anyway so a special distinction for unarmed seems pointless

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options

I don't disagree, but as someone who tends to favor very simple Bruiser builds or high survivability options for my characters, I think there's something valuable in just having one class who excels at one pillar, and can bring some degree of utility to the other two depending on how the player wants to build that character.

I guess i disagree, you can build other classes the same way while still having the option to engage with more mechanics as your familiarity with the game grows. Plus i think there is value in the iconic "fight man" class being able to meaningfully participate in all parts of the game with the rules as written

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    Fists should do D2 or D3 damage as what's the point in daggers otherwise?

Oh and it should be that they do non lethal unless you crit

• Options
    it's real hard to come up with shit for the fightperson to have as out-of-combat specialties, I can't think of anything

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    HellboreHellbore A bad, bad man Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    I think this all comes back to that magic is too general in DnD. There's almost nothing in-game that a any class can do that a wizard can't do with magic. So fighters don't need more options, wizards need less.

EDIT: To elaborate, I think this issue comes from traditional DnD, were magic users were very limited in spellcasting, and fighters were not limited in really any way, and finding a new spell was the same as finding a new magic weapon. Now Wizards have less limited spellcasting and can learn many more spells, were the fighter really gets nothing new.

Hellbore on
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I don't know that I would describe the 5e Wizard as a generalist class, if only because the perks that come with picking your specific subclass definitely encourage you to specialize in a certain school of magic, and a lot of the general use spells that aren't oriented around healing exist on a bunch of spell lists for other classes.

Fighter is absolutely a generalist class, but I think you need at least one of those in a game like D&D, especially when trying to sell it to new players. Sometimes it's nice just to have a class where the conceit is "You hit things real good and you're pretty hard to kill," with a minimum of class mechanics to keep track of. Plus, Action Surge is probably the most versatile class feature in the entire game right now, to the point where just multiclassing two levels of Fighter is almost always a good return on investment.

Fighters are hardly generalists, they're just limited to only fighting, and get a few early perks to reflect that. Paladins, Clerics, even Bards can also fill the role of "hit good" but are vastly more flexible because they get spellcasting

Eldritch Knight is always an option, though. It might not be the best option compared to just multiclassing into a proper spellcasting class, but it'll do in a pinch.

If the fix for a pure martial class being boring and lacking without a spellcasting equivalent is a subclass that gives them spellcasting, there is probably an issue

I mean, I think whether or not you find a pure martial class boring and lacking without some kind of spellcasting component is down to personal taste rather than some mechanical failing.

I'm just saying that I think Fighter fills a valuable niche of giving folks the option of just playing something very simple and straightfoward, with some potential for added utility later on, dependent on which subclass they end up picking.

Having said all that; Champion is by far the most boring subclass in 5e, and I don't think anyone would've been sad if WotC had cut that option out before finalizing the options for Fighter.

My issue is that, according to the publishers of the game, the three pillars of the game are combat exploration and roleplay, and fighters are competitive in one of those and bring nothing to the table in the other two (as a class)

Spell casters still out class materials in every way that matters, it only makes since that martials with spellcasting outshine pure materials

I think focusing on Fighters as the problem is missing the forest for the trees: D&D is extremely inconsistent about mechanizing anything besides combat, especially in class features.

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    it's real hard to come up with shit for the fightperson to have as out-of-combat specialties, I can't think of anything

Lovin'

• Options

You just gotta think outside the box a little.

Fighters are the everyman of adventurers, the kind of hero you can grab a beer with. Layfolk might be suspicious or early of the mysterious wizard, but the fighter can walk up to the town guard and be earn their trust in a moment. They are alternatively more obviously heroic or villanous, people trust/fear passively as they grow in strength. Another adventurer might have to smooth talk their way into a discount at the inn, or work to intimidate an uncooperative noble, but a sufficiently powerful Fighter just radiates that Good Dude/ Don't Fuck With Me aura and can do so effortlessly

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options

I guess i disagree, you can build other classes the same way while still having the option to engage with more mechanics as your familiarity with the game grows. Plus i think there is value in the iconic "fight man" class being able to meaningfully participate in all parts of the game with the rules as written

And I disagree that a Fighter is somehow inherently unable to engage with all parts of the game, because that's just a matter of how you go about building them. Just because the Fighter as a class is predisposed towards excelling in combat, that doesn't necessarily mean they're useless when it comes to exploration or roleplay.

Plus, that argument fails to take into account that part of the dynamic of the adventuring party is working to overlap skills as much as possible to cover for potential blind spots that another character might have in terms of skill or combat proficiencies.

[IMG][/img]
  • Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular

Hmm, warlords. Discuss.

Warlord was one of my favorite utility classes in 4e, and I would love for it to return, but I think Clerics and Paladins already fill that same niche pretty well. Plus, Battle Master is basically Warlord Lite already, just without the healing utility.

Rally is way more useful than I was expecting it to be. Had a battle master keep multiple people alive last session by hitting them with rally before they could get knocked out. Commander strike is also pretty fuckin boss when you use it on the rogue or ranger.

• Options

-Lifting heavy stuff.
    -Pushing heavy stuff.
    -Tenderizing meat.
    -Opening up a small bodybuilding studio.

[IMG][/img]
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    For a fighter to do well in exploration in 5E, all they need is decent Wisdom, proficiency in Survival and the Outlander background feature. That really covers everything you need to engage in the exporation part of DnD.

For social, they just need Charisma and the social skills, plus relevent background features for the part of society they wish to have an 'in' with.

Hellbore on
  • Options
    Mechanically what fighters do is consistently inhabit the top level of combat damage, resilience etc without having to rely on long rest resources, specific ways to fight etc. The fighter makes loads of attacks, has loads of actions, gets great stats and is very flexible. If you want to scrap without being some psychotic weirdo/magic bullshitter/sneaky fuck/whatever then the fighter will do that

If I'm honest if I changed the 5e fighter it'd be to give them stuff based on intelligence, make them feel more like they inhabit the role of tactician. Although with all the feats they get, and the battlemaster, they can already do so much as a party leader

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    While they don't get class abilities that directly tie into the exploration or social pillars, that doesn't mean Fighters can't perform in them.

If they take Athletics & Intimidation as class skills, they can still contribute in all three pillars (and their background can also help them in these areas too).

And that's before looking at how each of the sub-classes do offer something for one or both of those non-combat pillars.

Fighters also get more Ability Score Improvement than anyone else in the game, which can be used for non-combat related options like the Ritual Caster or Skilled feats.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    My first character was a Human Fighter. With the Noble background and a decent Charisma, he made a great party face. When I decided he was haughty and imperious, there was the roleplay.

• Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular

-Lifting heavy stuff.
    -Pushing heavy stuff.
    -Tenderizing meat.
    -Opening up a small bodybuilding studio.

Being the party face cause you got persuasion as a skill from your background and gave yourself a decent charisma...

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    In our biweekly D&D game, our Battle Master Fighter is not only the group-elected party leader but also the face of the party due to them having the highest charisma score of anyone in the group (everyone just dropped an 8 or 10 in it).

• Options
    edited January 2019
    these all sound like things literally anyone could do rather than something tied to the class

I don't think there's anything actually wrong with that though
    there's also an element of how much each player wants on their plate in terms of roles and mechanics, it's fine to have some classes that are not doing everything unless they want to be

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Yeah that's my point exactly, you can make a fighter more versatile by dedicating limited resources like ASI to playing catch up with other classes that can do the same shit but better, and at the end of the day it's despite the class as written not because of that

A story about how a fighter roleplayed good is great, but any great thing can happen with a good group/dm. Purely from a mechanical stand point, a fighter is worse at all of these things and has to dedicate resources to being average at them, probably sacrificing the effectiveness of their primary function (fighting) in the process to do so.

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    basically they need to finally officially incorporate baking into the fighter's core mechanics, being the master of bags of flour and all

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    The fact that there are no logical secondary skills for a fighter is largely because the class is too generalized, if you ask me

When it just means anyone who picks up a weapon, it's hard to have a direction that would fit everyone who picks up the class

Whereas a soldier would have skills related to making a long march and pitching a tent and all that, and a brawler might have skills related to their general athleticism and maybe some of that affable local quality

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    basically they need to finally officially incorporate baking into the fighter's core mechanics, being the master of bags of flour and all

I was wondering who would break first. I'm not sure if I'm happy or sad it wasn't me.

• Options
    also the "fighters can swing a sword all day" argument has always rung hollow for me because if the spell casters are out of slots then the party ain't fucking going nowhere unless the dm heavily forces them

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    astrobstrdastrobstrd So full of mercy... Registered User regular
    It bums me out that the sticky defender abilities of 4e mostly died out. You had to work a lot harder to bum rush the squishies.

Selling the Scream Podcast: https://anchor.fm/jeremy-donaldson
  • Options
    Straightzi wrote: »
    The fact that there are no logical secondary skills for a fighter is largely because the class is too generalized, if you ask me

When it just means anyone who picks up a weapon, it's hard to have a direction that would fit everyone who picks up the class

Whereas a soldier would have skills related to making a long march and pitching a tent and all that, and a brawler might have skills related to their general athleticism and maybe some of that affable local quality

This is something backgrounds are for, with both Soldier and I guess either Gladiator or Folk Hero covering your two examples.

• Options
    That's useful but doesn't address the issue with the class

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    Here is a sample 3rd-level Fighter that can contribute to all three pillars of the game:
    McFighter
    ‘Cloistered Scholar’ V.Human 'Eldritch Knight' Fighter 3
    AC: 18 (chain mail & shield); HP: 28; Speed: 30 ft.; Saving Throws: Strength +5 & Constitution +4
    Str 16 (+3), Dex 12 (+1), Con 14 (+2), Int 14 (+2), Wis 10 (+0), Cha 8 (-1)
    Skills/Feats: Arcana +4, Athletics +5, History +4, & Investigation +4; War Caster
    Senses: passive Perception 10, darkvision 60 ft.; Languages: Common, Draconic, Dwarven, & Elven
    Special Abilities
    Racial Abilities: ---
    Background Abilities: Library Access
    Class Abilities: Fighting Style (Dueling), Second Wind (1d10+3/rest), Action Surge (1/long rest), Martial Archetype (Eldritch Knight), Spellcasting, & Weapon Bond (Longsword & Maul)
    Actions
    Dagger. Melee weapon attack: +5 to hit, reach 5 ft., range 20 ft./60 ft., one target. Hit: 7 (1d4+5) slashing damage; finesse, light, thrown (range 20/60)
    Longsword. Melee weapon attack: +5 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 9 (1d8+5) slashing damage; versatile (1d10)
    Maul. Melee weapon attack: +5 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 9 (2d6+3) bludgeoning damage; heavy, two-handed
    Longbow. Ranged weapon attack: +3 to hit, range 150 ft./600 ft., one target. Hit: 5 (1d8+1) piercing damage; ammunition (range 150/600), heavy, two-handed
    ---
    Eldritch Knight Spells -- McFighter’ spellcasting ability is Intelligence-based (spell save DC 12)
    Cantrips Known (at will) -- Booming Blade & Move Earth
    1st-level Spells Known (2/long rest) --- Find Familiar, Shield, & Thunderwave
    ---
    Equipment: a belt pouch (10 gp), a borrowed book on the subject of your current study, chain mail armor, two daggers, an explorer’s pack (included in a backpack: a bedroll, a mess kit, a tinderbox, 10 torches, 10 days of rations, and a waterskin. The pack also has 50 feet of hempen rope strapped to the side of it), a longbow (with twenty arrows in a quiver), a longsword, the scholar's robes of your cloister, a shield, & a writing kit (small pouch with a quill, ink, folded parchment, and a small penknife)

This build can actually contribute more to exploration & social challenges than a Barbarian of equal level.

Zonugal on
  • Options
    By the way, I feel confident I could do that with the Champion as well (I know I could do it with the Battle Master).

The Fighter doesn't have as many obvious or spectacular ways to contribute to all three pillars, but that isn't to say they have none.

It isn't particularly difficult to achieve competency in all three pillars with them.