Options

A diet to feed the planet while not destroying it that you could persuade people to eat

• Options
    FANTOMASFANTOMAS Flan ArgentavisRegistered User regular
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    A major thing too is that a lot of cultures are very, very strongly tied to their traditional cooking, and tend to take food restrictions as an attack on their cultural identity.

I agree with this 100% and I disagree with the guy that PAGES ago said that south american cuisine stretched out meat and implied low consuption.

Out of the 10 countries that consume most beef per capita, 5 are south american, united states is fourth, I live on the second one. To the generation previous to mine, telling them that you are a vegetarian is a shock. A huge part of our social life is the "asado", thats beef over coal cinders, if you want to depict a functional family or a friends gathering its always around an asado.

Our non-meat foods are mostly inherited from inmigrants, we eat fish the way Spain eats fish, we have a lot of pasta and beans stews from the impoverished european inmigrants, mostly italians, and our consuption of meat is despite being a poor country for as long as I can remember, so the cultural angle mentioned by another poster who claimed a mediterranean diet would work better I think is the right angle to take.

The OP diet is not going to work, and if a government tries to press it, that government will fall and be replaced by one that doesnt force crickets down peoples throats.

PS: I also agree with the poster that said theres too much people, and we should work towards lowering the 10 billion people prediction.

Yes, with a quick verbal "boom." You take a man's peko, you deny him his dab, all that is left is to rise up and tear down the walls of Jericho with a ".....not!" -TexiKen
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    Has anyone tried Burger King's impossible burger? It has no meat in it and I'm keen to give it a try, I will gladly pay $1 more and eat more fast food if I could get a burger that tastes legit and has the right mouthfeel

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    Where’s my cricket burgers though

• Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    desc wrote: »

They’re having problems pitching it

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    A while back someone was talking about bodybuilding and manual labour and protein requirements meaning that meat is necessary

I didn't see a response along these lines, so: This is plainly not true, as there are numerous successful bodybuilders and athletes (even a heavyweight boxing champ) who are vegan, let alone vegetarian.

Meat is not required, but it is much easier (and possibly cheaper, because meat is so subsidized and mass produced). A bodybuilder or strongman diet is already kind of gross. A vegan bodybuilder diet is truly grim. But meat is not a requirement.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Has anyone tried Burger King's impossible burger? It has no meat in it and I'm keen to give it a try, I will gladly pay $1 more and eat more fast food if I could get a burger that tastes legit and has the right mouthfeel

I haven't tried it from burger king but I've bought the patties at the grocery store. The texture is near perfect. The flavor is hard to describe though. It definitely doesn't taste like beef. At least that's my own opinion and that of my wife, though she hasn't eaten meat in well over a decade.

If I were making a burger covered in other flavors I'd use it. But as a plain burger with (relatively) standard ingredients like mustard and onions, the "meat" flavor overpowered them.

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    Syngyne wrote: »
    desc wrote: »

They’re having problems pitching it

I tried a brand of cricket protein bars and they tasted poor — not because of cricket, as far as I could tell, but just consistency and overuse of the flavoring. I was disappointed because public opinion on this kind of thing can be very fickle and a negative first impression can torpedo a person’s willingness to give new foods a shot in the future.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    I mean

If climate change has as much effect on crickets as it does fireflies, then they won't be much of an option anyway

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    I usually have a hard time remembering what criticisms of a potential vegan diet are based on current evidence. Vitamin B12 is still an issue that generally requires taking supplements. I still see a criticisms about how a vegan diet is usually lacking in omega-3 fatty acid, but I think the latest state of research is that omega-3 fatty acids in food does not have any clear health benefits.

• Options
    Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    I mean

If climate change has as much effect on crickets as it does fireflies, then they won't be much of an option anyway

Nobody is going to be eating free range crickets. Climate change is going to effect everything in one way or another, but farming crickets will be a whole lot easier than cows.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    I mean

Nobody is going to be eating free range crickets. Climate change is going to effect everything in one way or another, but farming crickets will be a whole lot easier than cows.

I'm actually hoping the impossible burger stuff takes off and I won't have to eat crickets, tbh

• Options
    Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    I mean

I'm actually hoping the impossible burger stuff takes off and I won't have to eat crickets, tbh

I liked the new Bladerunner, not because of the story, but because of the world. I see a guy farming slugs for protien in vats of shit and it gives me hope. How sad is that?

• Options
    NSDFRandNSDFRand FloridaRegistered User regular
    A while back someone was talking about bodybuilding and manual labour and protein requirements meaning that meat is necessary

I didn't see a response along these lines, so: This is plainly not true, as there are numerous successful bodybuilders and athletes (even a heavyweight boxing champ) who are vegan, let alone vegetarian.

Meat is not required, but it is much easier (and possibly cheaper, because meat is so subsidized and mass produced). A bodybuilder or strongman diet is already kind of gross. A vegan bodybuilder diet is truly grim. But meat is not a requirement.

This isn't a new discussion even among athletes. The question that doesn't ever seem to be answered by the vegan athletes is how much time they spent during their athletic development eating meat before they decided to change their diet and how much gear they are using (in the case of BBs).

• Options
    DaenrisDaenris Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    Quid wrote: »

I haven't tried it from burger king but I've bought the patties at the grocery store. The texture is near perfect. The flavor is hard to describe though. It definitely doesn't taste like beef. At least that's my own opinion and that of my wife, though she hasn't eaten meat in well over a decade.

If I were making a burger covered in other flavors I'd use it. But as a plain burger with (relatively) standard ingredients like mustard and onions, the "meat" flavor overpowered them.

https://faq.impossiblefoods.com/hc/en-us/articles/360019099893-Is-it-available-in-grocery-stores-

Impossible Burger isn't available in stores yet as far as I'm aware, only restaurants.

I haven't tried the burger king version of it, but I've had it at a number of non-chain restaurants, and recently at a Red Robin. It's hit or miss depending on preparation, but overall it's pretty damn close to a regular beef burger. If you've got some toppings on there you probably won't notice much of a difference. Definitely has a slight noticeable smell and aftertaste difference, but it's not bad.

The Beyond Burger that Beyond Foods sells in meat cases in grocery stores is also pretty decent, but in my experience not as close a substitute as the Impossible Burger.

Edit: Pricewise though, I'm concerned what they're going to be sold for in grocery stores when they get there. Restaurants typically vary between about $1 and $4 more. The Beyond Burger in stores is like $6.99/pound so it's up there with like organic/grass fed/whatever beef.

Daenris on
  • Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    I haven't had the Impossible burger but I've had the Beyond burger at a vegan food truck and it's very nice. I eat meat but too much and I would like to eat less.

• Options
    I don't know if it's helping but the last few months I've pretty much stopped eating red meat. Occasional steak, rarely a burger.

It's p much white meat for dinner and a ton of veggies/nuts elsewhere.

If I could cut out burgers as a meat source with a good tasting alternative I absolutely would.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    Oh I must have been thinking of Beyond Burger.

Quid on
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    I don't know if it's helping but the last few months I've pretty much stopped eating red meat. Occasional steak, rarely a burger.

If I could cut out burgers as a meat source with a good tasting alternative I absolutely would.

Turkey burgers are fantastic.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    Doodmann wrote: »

I assume there's been advancement in turkey tech since the last time I had one.

Because, lemme tell ya

It wasn't good.

(Turkey is low key the best nacho meat tho)

• Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    If people didn't cook turkey burgers for 30 minutes on full heat they would probably taste better.
    Instead people think "Poultry will murder you unless it's burnt to death" and then they wonder why it tastes like hockey pucks.

• Options
    Aridhol wrote: »
    If people didn't cook turkey burgers for 30 minutes on full heat they would probably taste better.
    Instead people think "Poultry will murder you unless it's burnt to death" and then they wonder why it tastes like hockey pucks.

People do the same for pork.

Getting to appropriate temps with the right cooking additives doesn't take all that long.

• Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    edited April 2019

People also excessively season the meat when they form the patty, including salt which should only go on just before cooking or not at all.

They also won't introduce ant sort of fats because of the reasons they usually switch to turkey. If you cook a turkey burger in a flavorful fat and make it slightly thinner so you can get it cooked quickly all the way through without getting tough.... They're not bad.

The thing though is that I like a garden burgers because I like the taste. I'm not searching for something that isn't meat to taste and chew like meat. I think that's the tough part... not only necessarily reducing meat consumption for it's own sake and suffering, but being okay with seeing a plate of food without an obvious meat or quasi meat and being okay with that.

dispatch.o on
  • Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »

I assume there's been advancement in turkey tech since the last time I had one.

Because, lemme tell ya

It wasn't good.

(Turkey is low key the best nacho meat tho)

Turkey burgers can be ground lean or with dark meat, and lean burgers are hard to make delicious. You might have had a lean burger, but then again, there's no point in eating an unhealthy Turkey burger

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    NSDFRand wrote: »

This isn't a new discussion even among athletes. The question that doesn't ever seem to be answered by the vegan athletes is how much time they spent during their athletic development eating meat before they decided to change their diet and how much gear they are using (in the case of BBs).

Which is a very good question! At least one bodybuilder was a vegan at 15 and still placed in competitions, Robert Cheeke, as opposed to David Haye who is a vegan champion heavyweight boxer but only converted in 2014.

Ultimately, this doesn't matter. If the necessary protein intake to bodybuild is not sustainable, then maybe bodybuilding will have to become more expensive or otherwise change or be abandoned. Human survival and sustainable global food production are more important than any athletic pursuit, obviously

• Options
    Most people are not athletes and eat more meat protein than their body requires. You can’t assume outliers are the norm.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular

People do the same for pork.

Getting to appropriate temps with the right cooking additives doesn't take all that long.

This is why I stopped trying turkey for a lot of things. But the wife got me a sous vide cooker for christmas this year so maybe I'll try again.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options

Which is a very good question! At least one bodybuilder was a vegan at 15 and still placed in competitions, Robert Cheeke, as opposed to David Haye who is a vegan champion heavyweight boxer but only converted in 2014.

Ultimately, this doesn't matter. If the necessary protein intake to bodybuild is not sustainable, then maybe bodybuilding will have to become more expensive or otherwise change or be abandoned. Human survival and sustainable global food production are more important than any athletic pursuit, obviously

Then why bring it up?

I don't have a dog in the fight of competitive bodybuilding in and of itself, but I'm also leery of the argument that animal protein intake should be made more expensive through policy because it's going to do exactly what you're saying it should do: make animal protein intake more expensive so that a diet that includes any animal protein becomes a signal of elite status.

• Options
    DirtmuncherDirtmuncher Registered User regular

Then why bring it up?

I don't have a dog in the fight of competitive bodybuilding in and of itself, but I'm also leery of the argument that animal protein intake should be made more expensive through policy because it's going to do exactly what you're saying it should do: make animal protein intake more expensive so that a diet that includes any animal protein becomes a signal of elite status.

Maybe culture should change and not derive status from money.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    Sure but I think focusing on money here is sort of missing the point, whether it's wealth, knowledge, religious or temporal authority, people who are regarded as cultural elites will invariably have greater access to rarer and more difficult to acquire things, and so they will become symbols of that elite status.

I also favor technological rather than cultural solutions, mostly because I believe they're more achievable honestly, at least within a reasonable timeframe.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    FANTOMASFANTOMAS Flan ArgentavisRegistered User regular

Then why bring it up?

Maybe culture should change and not derive status from money.

It may not be explicit in the OP, but I think the problem is that we are short on time, the water is up to our necks and we cant wait untill we evolve to have gills. There will be gourmet crickets and foodtruck crickets, and cricket tasting tours in exotic locations, I dont expect that to change anytime soon. Oh, and coloured crickets with tiny flags, for the kids.

What I mean by that is that there may be a chance to quickly change the content of what we eat, but the whole industry around it and how we interact with food is not going to be changed so fast.

Yes, with a quick verbal "boom." You take a man's peko, you deny him his dab, all that is left is to rise up and tear down the walls of Jericho with a ".....not!" -TexiKen
  • Options
    If red meat gradually got more expensive so it became a treat for one a week or so rather than every night, we'd all benefit, because aside from being better for the planet, it'd also be better for our health.

If it rapidly got more expensive because of a tax or something, there would be riots. But people can put up with "gradually more expensive." When I was a kid 30 years ago, pine nuts were a very cheap treat that I bought for my pet gerbils. Now, they are really pricy. Obviously this happened gradually. People have got used to it.

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    Most of this is speculation but while yes, it is technically possible to live a meat free diet, meat is perfectly healthy nutritionally and a staple of many diets, and expecting its total elimination is a fantasy even in a 2+ Celsius plus world. People are gonna eat meat as long as there is meat to eat. Hell, we'd likely even bring it back if it went extinct.

Elimination of a sport is counter productive and not practical, especially since people who are physically fit are more likely to survive any global disruption in food! :D We already have a valve for that, it's called supply and demand.

This is also ignoring the larger point that individual diet is only one part of a very, very big problem. Saying Joe Bodybuilder is as big a part of the problem as a multimillion dollar company that dumps its waste and doesn't care about emissions is disingenuous. You have to change your marketing approach.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Most of this is speculation but while yes, it is technically possible to live a meat free diet, meat is perfectly healthy nutritionally and a staple of many diets, and expecting its total elimination is a fantasy even in a 2+ Celsius plus world. People are gonna eat meat as long as there is meat to eat. Hell, we'd likely even bring it back if it went extinct.

Elimination of a sport is counter productive and not practical, especially since people who are physically fit are more likely to survive any global disruption in food! :D We already have a valve for that, it's called supply and demand.

This is also ignoring the larger point that individual diet is only one part of a very, very big problem. Saying Joe Bodybuilder is as big a part of the problem as a multimillion dollar company that dumps its waste and doesn't care about emissions is disingenuous. You have to change your marketing approach.

I don't know that that's true. Or at least, true with the definition of fitness that's going to include bodybuilders. For a somewhat trivial example, look at the death rates between sexes during the Donner party disaster. Women are hardier, though they were likely further from winning deadlift competitions than the men were. An actual food disruption on that scale is going to lead to the skinny and lean men dying off first.

• Options
    Usually kids die first in any sort of famine situation.

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    the comment about contigu
    Quid wrote: »

I'm going to pick some up and cook them in beef fat

so not vegetarian, but using a bit of beef fat is definitely a lot less beefy than using actual beef

• Options
    Shivahn wrote: »

I don't know that that's true. Or at least, true with the definition of fitness that's going to include bodybuilders. For a somewhat trivial example, look at the death rates between sexes during the Donner party disaster. Women are hardier, though they were likely further from winning deadlift competitions than the men were. An actual food disruption on that scale is going to lead to the skinny and lean men dying off first.

The men in the Donner party were also engaging in violence with others and within the party. One of the family heads was exiled from the party for it and then got his commission back and went on to fight in Mexico before getting word about what happened and joining one of the rescue parties.

In a similar situation in which a given group of people are trying to survive the men are going to be engaging in the more dangerous necessary activities and if violence happens they will be engaging in the violent tasks too.

I think that's important to keep in mind if we want to compare "fitness" in this way: men are more likely to be involved in necessary violent incidents.
    "

• Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    Oh, for -

Body building has nothing to do with general fitness, physical or otherwise. Men who do physical work for a living - and are healthy - look nothing like body builders.

• Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    Calica wrote: »
    Oh, for -

Body building has nothing to do with general fitness, physical or otherwise. Men who do physical work for a living - and are healthy - look nothing like body builders.

“Meat eaters will survive the apocalypse” is ridiculous as actual prediction, but does reflect on cultural associations between meat, masculinity, and virility.

Similarly, countering public health and environmental objections to meat with concern for bodybuilders specifically is ??? in when the average American eats 222 pounds of meat a year and 40% are obese (national center for health statistics). The “use case” for meat driving worldwide environmental catastrophe is not the iron church, and the idea that the entire world should continue to collectively subsidize the ruinous externalities involved in population-wide meat production and consumption so the handful of people who do serious lift can continue to pursue a leisure sport is silly.

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    You're jumping to some very large conclusions that I don't think anyone has actually implied. There is a difference between reducing meat usage and going cold turkey. And "meat shaming" is going to be as about as effective as it has been the past 30 years, which is to say, not at all.

There are also many governments that benefit from keeping their people in starvation, and that is a totally separate issue from food production and sustainability.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    It's not meat thats making people fat. There's plenty of fat vegetarians.

A big beef burger isn't so bad when it isn't accompanied with fries and soda.

PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507