As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

StackOverflow: Impact, Ethics, Personal Responsibility?

If you don't know what StackOverflow is, it is a very popular - almost ubiquitous - question and answer site for software developers. Almost any programming-related search on Google will turn up one or more results on S.O. (usually in the top three). Members both ask questions and answer them, gaining reputation points for upvotes from other members. It has been around for a long time (a little over 10 years).

In the last few years, the culture of the site has come under fire by diversity advocates (especially those working for female representation in tech). The article https://medium.com/@Aprilw/suffering-on-stack-overflow-c46414a34a52 pretty much lays it all out there. If you want something much shorter, try https://medium.com/@josephmeirrubin/stack-overflow-is-cruel-and-lazy-426be2d5d661.

Personally, I have complicated feelings about S.O. As an almost-daily contributor (+500 rep in January so far), I'm currently struggling with whether I even want to participate anymore. My rep on the site, which a few years ago would have been bragging rights (even if it is all fake internet points), is now something I won't even mention in certain circles.

This is open-ended, but I'm interested in hearing other people's experiences with S.O., or perhaps sites like it. Or, other communities where you eventually became aware (years after everyone else...) that it was not as welcoming as you thought. And finally, what to do about it, if anything, when the site is entrenched in developer culture and the owners and primary decision makers like things the way they are.

Are you a Software Engineer living in Seattle? HBO is hiring, message me.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    If you don't know what StackOverflow is, it is a very popular - almost ubiquitous - question and answer site for software developers. Almost any programming-related search on Google will turn up one or more results on S.O. (usually in the top three). Members both ask questions and answer them, gaining reputation points for upvotes from other members. It has been around for a long time (a little over 10 years).

In the last few years, the culture of the site has come under fire by diversity advocates (especially those working for female representation in tech). The article https://medium.com/@Aprilw/suffering-on-stack-overflow-c46414a34a52 pretty much lays it all out there. If you want something much shorter, try https://medium.com/@josephmeirrubin/stack-overflow-is-cruel-and-lazy-426be2d5d661.

Personally, I have complicated feelings about S.O. As an almost-daily contributor (+500 rep in January so far), I'm currently struggling with whether I even want to participate anymore. My rep on the site, which a few years ago would have been bragging rights (even if it is all fake internet points), is now something I won't even mention in certain circles.

This is open-ended, but I'm interested in hearing other people's experiences with S.O., or perhaps sites like it. Or, other communities where you eventually became aware (years after everyone else...) that it was not as welcoming as you thought. And finally, what to do about it, if anything, when the site is entrenched in developer culture and the owners and primary decision makers like things the way they are.

I mean, an excellent example would be here, where there was a dedicated mod and admin attempt to clean it up. Is it perfect? No. But it is better than it was, and will be better tomorrow, hopefully.

• Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    stack overflow does feel very techbro elitist and not very welcoming or compassionate in the answers. I'm not too bothered by it personally, as I'm mostly looking for one exact fact when it shows up in a google search, but it seems unnecessary and gendered and bad for society. I think they probably do have some responsibility to make it welcoming, and some of the stack overflow blog posts linked from that medium post suggest that they're going to make some effort.

Unfortunately making a site with so much content actually genuinely kind probably costs a lot of money. Well over a million dollars for paid moderators to comb through ancient posts editing them to meet the new code of conduct. I don't know that anyone cares quite that much.

sig.gif
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    stack overflow does feel very techbro elitist and not very welcoming or compassionate in the answers.

My first impression when I tried to both ask questions and contribute answers was that there was a ton of sideline sniping and downvoting for even the slighest deviation from the largely unspoken standards of posting.

No community that eats its young will survive.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    The core problem is, simply put, that management doesn't actually care about cleaning up things. This is an actual quote from Joel Splotsky, co-founder and CEO of StackExchange:
    We can’t change everybody and we can’t force people to be nice.

There's a litany of things wrong with that statement, but first and foremost is that he's absolutely wrong. It's his house, and he can very much set standards of conduct for people there and show those who don't abide by them the door. But instead, he chooses not to, and then tries to act like his hands are tied.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    "we can't force people to be nice"

Considering the changes that this forum has made and the improvement those changes have made to the atmosphere here at PA, fuck that guy.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    I have never had any problem with SO, or other stackexchange sites. Other than just not being able to find a solution because rmy problem is something weird that no one else has had. It's a great resource for debugging.

While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    The community seems very hostile to “thread necromancy” which doesn’t seem to take into account how people use it - by googling a question and following a stack overflow link. I’ve got in trouble for answering out of date questions .

• Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    I've never actively engaged with the community aspect. If it pops up as a first search result I check the upper few answers, but generally I avoid posting because it always seems uninviting.

And while I've consulted answers thousands of times, I can't imagine asking a question directly. It feels like an invitation to be told I'm an idiot. Particularly because the sort of thing I wind up searching for is simple stuff like how do you strip the blanks from a string in this language again or even just how do I print or something.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    edit: I've never really used it so I'm just going to withdraw this

SummaryJudgment on
    Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    Contentless “you are an idiot” posts deserve downvoting. As a coder I always feel like an idiot right up until I figure it out. I’m a woman, which could be relevant here.

• Options
    I've never actively engaged with the community aspect. If it pops up as a first search result I check the upper few answers, but generally I avoid posting because it always seems uninviting.

And while I've consulted answers thousands of times, I can't imagine asking a question directly. It feels like an invitation to be told I'm an idiot. Particularly because the sort of thing I wind up searching for is simple stuff like how do you strip the blanks from a string in this language again or even just how do I print or something.

You probably shouldn't be asking those sorts of questions without searching first. Simple questions have almost certainly already been asked.

While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    The community seems very hostile to “thread necromancy” which doesn’t seem to take into account how people use it - by googling a question and following a stack overflow link. I’ve got in trouble for answering out of date questions .

It's about a third as useful to me as it would be if better curated. I frequently find old questions with obsolete answers higher ranked in Google than the equivalent newer question, and unanswered duplicate questions higher ranked than the answered original.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Whenever I’ve actually asked a question it’s so esoteric I’ve got zero results. There’s a sweet spot where it is a good question to ask but people actually know the answer.

• Options
    Vrtra TheoryVrtra Theory Registered User regular
    Ugh. If there's one thing I could change on S.O., it would be the "duplicate question" dynamic, which right now I think is terrible.

If you answer questions frequently, you will notice "flavor of the month" questions - it's clearly people relatively new to programming, all coming off the same tutorial somewhere, all making the exact same mistake.

Stack wants to be an "encyclopedia of questions and answers" - ideally, we want to boil down all those questions to one canonical Q&A. But the only tool to do that is to "vote to close the question as a duplicate". So the experience for the (presumably earnest) asker is (1) a bunch of negative downvotes at best, (2) a closed question and a "hey idiot try searching next time" at worst.

There's not really a way around it other than to actually answer the question, perhaps by reposting part of the answer and linking to the canonical one. This allows you to control their experience and have it be a gentler, kinder one, but it dilutes the question pool with many answered clones (and doesn't stop a flood of other high rep mods from closing the question anyway).

Are you a Software Engineer living in Seattle? HBO is hiring, message me.
  • Options
    Ugh. If there's one thing I could change on S.O., it would be the "duplicate question" dynamic, which right now I think is terrible.

If you answer questions frequently, you will notice "flavor of the month" questions - it's clearly people relatively new to programming, all coming off the same tutorial somewhere, all making the exact same mistake.

Stack wants to be an "encyclopedia of questions and answers" - ideally, we want to boil down all those questions to one canonical Q&A. But the only tool to do that is to "vote to close the question as a duplicate". So the experience for the (presumably earnest) asker is (1) a bunch of negative downvotes at best, (2) a closed question and a "hey idiot try searching next time" at worst.

There's not really a way around it other than to actually answer the question, perhaps by reposting part of the answer and linking to the canonical one. This allows you to control their experience and have it be a gentler, kinder one, but it dilutes the question pool with many answered clones (and doesn't stop a flood of other high rep mods from closing the question anyway).

I don't see how having your question closed with a link to the same question already answered is some horrible experience.

• Options

wait why isn't there a way around it

why not merge the new question with the old one, so that a link to the new one takes you to the old one, maybe directly to a bot comment at the bottom of the comments with your question and a note that it was merged and that the answers to this one should help that one

this as many other things seems like a thing SO staff could fix if they wanted to

sig.gif
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    Interesting. I often visit stack overflow and wasn’t aware of this - but I’m mostly going for web development questions. I wonder if the web development crowd is younger and more diverse than the average programmer

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    HamHamJ wrote: »

I don't see how having your question closed with a link to the same question already answered is some horrible experience.

Because half the time the linked post is a similar, but different enough that it doesn't actually solve the problem, question. Assuming they even bother to link it, instead of just bitching and closing the thread straight off.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    I'm another one of those folks who generally wind up there via Google, generally either looking up some nuance of an Excel formula or trying to figure out something in VBA. Usually that gets me what I want, though sometimes it doesn't, and I have never really considered just asking my question directly. Mostly because just reading the answers gives me the feeling it's a hostile environment and asking a question would make me an interloper among REAL programmers.

That is probably not the tone they're aiming for.

Or actually, maybe it is.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    stack overflow does feel very techbro elitist and not very welcoming or compassionate in the answers.

It strikes me that the problem is machoism. Which might seem ironic at first if you don't know a lot about tech/nerd/whatever culture but at this point none of us should be surprised. You can take the jock out of the man but you can't take the toxic masculinity.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    I'm in the same boat - I'll browse SO in order to look for obscure issues, and don't use it directly. That said, I'm a huge follower of Tom Limoncelli, who I consider like a mentor these days, as I wouldn't be anywhere near as far in my career if it weren't for his books (not to downplay Christine Hogan and Strata Chalup). He currently works for Stack Overflow, and I know he's very much into diversity and advocacy. Which, of course, doesn't mesh with this conversation given how important ethics is, unless he's trying to change things. So... yeah. I don't see anything on his twitter feed.

I really wish I had more to add to this. I desperately want to see more diversity in my personal workspace, and I'm not sure how to do it.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    I feel that many developers are nursing a sense of inferiority because of the impossibility of being a master of everything in their field, so they lash out at those with less knowledge to disguise their own lack of confidence.

• Options
    edited January 2019
    I feel that many developers are nursing a sense of inferiority because of the impossibility of being a master of everything in their field, so they lash out at those with less knowledge to disguise their own lack of confidence.

In my personal experience, most people I've worked with who were rude programmers really did think they were God's gift to a workplace

Powerpuppies on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    THAC0THAC0 Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Yeah I don't feel this is a toxic masculinity problem as much as it is a people wanting to feel superior problem. I used to use it a lot more when I was newer to software development but have grown to really needing it less now. I imagine that is a fairly large part of the use of the site and like celestial badger said its more about disguising a lack of confidence. We used to joke around the office that the first answer to anything would always be 'why are you even trying to do that, idiot' and it's really not that far off.

Edit- having said that I don't want to rule out the incredibly pervasive sexism that does come out of the wider developer community because I have heard some straight up bonkers shit come out of the mouths of programmers Etc.

THAC0 on
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

I think it's just general jockeying for social status via displays of dominance. Usual stuff.

• Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    THAC0 wrote: »
    Yeah I don't feel this is a toxic masculinity problem as much as it is a people wanting to feel superior problem. I used to use it a lot more when I was newer to software development but have grown to really needing it less now. I imagine that is a fairly large part of the use of the site and like celestial badger said its more about disguising a lack of confidence. We used to joke around the office that the first answer to anything would always be 'why are you even trying to do that, idiot' and it's really not that far off.

Edit- having said that I don't want to rule out the incredibly pervasive sexism that does come out of the wider developer community because I have heard some straight up bonkers shit come out of the mouths of programmers Etc.

Ugh, I hate those answers.

"Instead of answering your question, let me answer a completely different question."

Sometimes there's a reason for doing it a specific way, or using a specific language.

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    Yeah I don't feel this is a toxic masculinity problem as much as it is a people wanting to feel superior problem.

Those aren't exactly without overlap.

• Options
    Zibblsnrt wrote: »
    Yeah I don't feel this is a toxic masculinity problem as much as it is a people wanting to feel superior problem.

Those aren't exactly without overlap.

Of the very few female programmers I have known, none of them have been the kind that sneer at those who know less than them.

• Options
    AtheraalAtheraal Registered User regular
    The really silly thing that strikes me about this kind of 'this was already asked and answered, delete!' approach is that, logically, the new post most likely asks it with different language. So it'd be easier and more effective for future users searching for an answer, for them to just archive the post with a link to the answer, so that it can eventually organically contribute to a lower level of google-fu being necessary to find the answer. Thus fewer 'superfluous' posts for them to complain about! They're shooting themselves in the foot.

• Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    Mortious wrote: »

"Instead of answering your question, let me answer a completely different question."

Sometimes there's a reason for doing it a specific way, or using a specific language.

It depends on whether the goal is to answer questions to to help with writing better code. Questioning the method is important for the latter

What's more likely? That an expert user of a language has chosen to do something in a way they don't understand for a good reason, or an inexperienced user posts about their exact current problem with the code they have written or found that may or may not even be a good way of doing things?

"I am having trouble with string pointer manipulation in C++" can usually rightly be answered by "Don't do that, use std::string" 99% of the time

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Atheraal wrote: »
    The really silly thing that strikes me about this kind of 'this was already asked and answered, delete!' approach is that, logically, the new post most likely asks it with different language. So it'd be easier and more effective for future users searching for an answer, for them to just archive the post with a link to the answer, so that it can eventually organically contribute to a lower level of google-fu being necessary to find the answer. Thus fewer 'superfluous' posts for them to complain about! They're shooting themselves in the foot.

Part of the issue is illustrated in a tweet by co-creator Jeff Atwood in his retrospective on Stack Overflow:

I wish more people understood that the goal of Stack Overflow is not "answer my question" but "let's collaboratively build an artifact that will benefit future coders". Perhaps SO could be doing more to educate people about this.

I will give Jeff some credit here - he's framing this as "we're failing to educate users as to how this works," rather than "users are too stupid to understand how this works." But, he's missing the bigger point - if you say "this system is meant to be X," and your users keep saying "we really want it to be Y," at some point you're failing your users by insisting that it should be X.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    I would probably find it more useful and less alienating if they phrased it more as "if you really want to do X, here it's how. But generally, doing X might be a bad idea, so here's an alternate method."

There are plenty of times when I see "you would never want to that, do this instead," but "this" doesn't work in my circumstances, and I really would like to know how to do "that".

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Phyphor wrote: »
    Mortious wrote: »

It depends on whether the goal is to answer questions to to help with writing better code. Questioning the method is important for the latter

What's more likely? That an expert user of a language has chosen to do something in a way they don't understand for a good reason, or an inexperienced user posts about their exact current problem with the code they have written or found that may or may not even be a good way of doing things?

"I am having trouble with string pointer manipulation in C++" can usually rightly be answered by "Don't do that, use std::string" 99% of the time

If they want to do that, they can answer the question, and then suggest an alternative.

Because I encounter a lot of "how do I do this in language A?" with "Don't use language A, use language B" or "Install this 3rd party plugin/library to do it for you" as an answer.

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    centraldogmacentraldogma Registered User regular
    I've never asked or answered a question on StackOverflow. I don't even have an account. But time and again, when I turn to Google to search for answer to a programming issue, it is a StackOverflow page that has my solution or leads me in the right direction. While I am not a user of their platform in a traditional sense, I find them indispensable as a resource, as I image many others do.

Take that for what you will.

When people unite together, they become stronger than the sum of their parts.
    Don't assume bad intentions over neglect and misunderstanding.
  • Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    It's an indelible part of the internet that unlike social media has a purpose in disseminating knowledge

You kind of have to engage in it if you want something like its services because it's too much effort to make your own database when they've got such a head start

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    Everytime a google search brings me to stackoverflow, the question is summarily rejected by people downstream of the question and in a vicious manner. Stackoverflow is largely inscrutable to me. The rejections I do encounter seem more pedantic than a wikipedia talk page if that is saying anything about this website.

• Options
    cckerberoscckerberos Registered User regular
    But, he's missing the bigger point - if you say "this system is meant to be X," and your users keep saying "we really want it to be Y," at some point you're failing your users by insisting that it should be X.

I don't know that I'd agree with that. It certainly says there's a demand for Y but I don't think that is inherently a reason to have to change.

cckerberos.png
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    I think that generally speaking a lot of these people are displaying the unprofessionality and cliquey behaviour that they'd display in the workplace if they could, and in a lot of benighted offices, do.

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Honestly a big piece of it is developer arrogance, which exists separate to SO. They could take a bigger role in fixing, but I'd argue they're more a symptom than a root problem.
    If anything, they're leaving money and influence on the table by just mailing in the culture component as "not my problem" rather than enforcing some simple "glorious edict" style stufff to move the discourse in a better direction.

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    Atheraal wrote: »

Part of the issue is illustrated in a tweet by co-creator Jeff Atwood in his retrospective on Stack Overflow:

I wish more people understood that the goal of Stack Overflow is not "answer my question" but "let's collaboratively build an artifact that will benefit future coders". Perhaps SO could be doing more to educate people about this.

I will give Jeff some credit here - he's framing this as "we're failing to educate users as to how this works," rather than "users are too stupid to understand how this works." But, he's missing the bigger point - if you say "this system is meant to be X," and your users keep saying "we really want it to be Y," at some point you're failing your users by insisting that it should be X.

The problem is that if they made StackOverflow into an answers service that did not reject duplicates aggressively, then it would be of dramatically lesser value and swarmed by kids looking for the internet to do their homework for them. It’s already halfway there.

Sometimes it’s overzealous in rejections. One time a guy tried to get my asked and answered question thrown out as a duplicate to his asked and not answered question when mine was months earlier. And better. I’ve seen people say “asked and answered” with a link to something that appears to me unrelated. But these are failures that, like the cliquiness and gender issues, can and should be addressed without changing the site’s format.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.