Options

Goose! and YaYa Present The Oscars Pool for 2019 or the Into The Spider-Verse Hope Thread

145679

Posts

  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    DJ Eebs wrote: »


    here's the screenwriters of Green Book, after having failed to even mention Don Shirley, asking each other if they forgot to thank anyone, and going "no, I think we got everybody"
    Also the director decided to shout out Shinola, a luxury goods company founded by a white man based out of Detroit, as "saving Detroit".

    Winning anything at all is embarassing but it is incredible how everyone except Ali has handled this in the most laughable way possible

    It's because Ali is the only one who actually cares.

  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    DJ Eebs wrote: »


    here's the screenwriters of Green Book, after having failed to even mention Don Shirley, asking each other if they forgot to thank anyone, and going "no, I think we got everybody"
    Also the director decided to shout out Shinola, a luxury goods company founded by a white man based out of Detroit, as "saving Detroit".

    Winning anything at all is embarassing but it is incredible how everyone except Ali has handled this in the most laughable way possible

    Well, the thing is, they clearly didn't have to give a fuck about any of this, so they didn't

  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    I'm so pissed off. I'm just going to leave it at that.

  • Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    Incredible movies from last year that got precisely jack shit and will be remembered far more fondly and make far more of a cultural impact than Green Book or Bohemian Rhapsody:

    - Annihilation
    - Blindspotting
    - Eighth Grade
    - First Reformed
    - Paddington 2
    - Sorry to Bother You
    - Support the Girls
    - You Were Never Really Here

    Performances from last year that got precisely jack shit and will be remembered far more fondly and make far more of a cultural impact than Green Book or Bohemian Rhapsody:

    - The Toni Collette dinner scene in Hereditary

  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    As per the custom of married life I'm going to bed very disappointed.

    Tonight though... It's the Oscar's fault

  • Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    bohemian rhapsody will probably stick around until they make another queen movie

    no one will give a shit about green book in six months

    6vjsgrerts6r.png

  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    they should have given best picture to Lady Bird to make up for how Lady Bird didn't win any oscars last year

    #JusticeForLaurieMetcalf

  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    bohemian rhapsody will probably stick around until they make another queen movie

    no one will give a shit about green book in six months

    nobody will give a shit about Green Book in six days

    nobody gives a shit about Green Book now! who goes hard for Green Book! people's grandparents?? nobody likes that movie!

    6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    bohemian rhapsody will probably stick around until they make another queen movie

    no one will give a shit about green book in six months

    nobody will give a shit about Green Book in six days

    nobody gives a shit about Green Book now! who goes hard for Green Book! people's grandparents?? nobody likes that movie!

    My grandmother actually did get very upset with me when I was shittalking it

  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    I mean, to be fair, nobody really gives a shit about the Shape of Water anymore either

  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    DJ Eebs wrote: »
    I mean, to be fair, nobody really gives a shit about the Shape of Water anymore either
    I do! That movie fuckin rules and that fishbutt is eternal

    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
  • Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    I saw the first like 5-10 minutes of Crash. That was fucking painful and awful. If y’all are telling me Green Book is somehow in that class, alright then, I trust you. I mean, I at least saw the trailers and those were infinitely better than what I saw of Crash.

    Fawst on
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    Fawst wrote: »
    I saw the first like 5-10 minutes of Crash. That was fucking painful and awful. If y’all are telling me Green Book is somehow in that class, alright then, I trust you. I mean, I at least saw the trailers and those were infinitely better than what I saw of Crash.

    Crash might be terrible, but it's not terrible in a way that fucks up someone's actual life story to glorify a white guy who knew him

  • Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    Shit, Toni Collette crying on the floor after that scene in Hereditary was one of the best acting scenes I’ve seen in a long time. That movie got robbed.

  • Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    happy black history month

  • Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    Goose! wrote: »
    Final scores
    0dtbuwcft55t.png

    Full results: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1c0yT8qRCa15jXZpajVTPr_JeOzql4LG0Ce2j2vUeTRw/edit#gid=7013258

    Congrats @Fishman! You live in the not US right...I wanna say NZ?

    Are you sure you don't want your award? If you just tell me your favorite cinema's name I can probably figure something out?

    I feel like DarkPrimus and JayKaos are the real winners here.

    I like how the ones I did get were all Black Panther, Spider-Verse, or "oh I remember people saying the editting in Bohemian Rhapsody is terrible that'll prolly win"

    Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular


    Green Book: A Disaster in Almost Every Way

    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    BogeyBogey I'm back, baby! Santa Monica, CAModerator Mod Emeritus
    Bogey wrote: »
    Sorry I was so late to this, I'm out of town visiting family.

    A lot of the categories are so wide open this year, it's going to be super difficult. Anyway, I'm just going to put my picks in this thread without entering the contest.
    Best Picture - Green Book

    Best Actress - Glenn Close, The Wife

    Best Actor - Rami Malek, Bohemian Rhapsody

    Best Supporting Actress - Rachel Weisz, The Favourite

    Best Supporting Actor - Mahershala Ali, Green Book

    Best Director - Alfonso Cuarón, Roma

    Best Adapted Screenplay - Charlie Wachtel, David Rabinowitz, Kevin Willmott, and Spike Lee, BlackKklansman

    Best Original Screenplay - Nick Vallelonga, Brian Currie, and Peter Farrelly, Green Book

    Best Foreign Language Film - Roma (Mexico)

    Best Production Design - The Favourite

    Best Visual Effects - First Man

    Best Editing - Bohemian Rhapsody

    Best Cinematography - Roma

    Best Animated Feature - Spider-Man: Into The Spider-verse

    Best Documentary Feature - Free Solo

    Best Costume Design - The Favourite

    Best Makeup And Hairstyling - Vice

    Best Original Score - Black Panther

    Best Original Song - “Shallow,” A Star Is Born

    Best Sound Editing - First Man

    Best Sound Mixing - Bohemian Rhapsody

    Best Animated Short Film - Bao

    Best Documentary Short Subject - Lifeboat

    Best Live Action Short Film - Marguerite
    LOL, I would have won this year with a score of 17 :o

    Fitocracy: Join us in the SE++ group!
    XBox LIVE: Bogestrom | Destiny
    PSN: Bogestrom
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited February 2019
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »

    Holy fucking shit.

  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    How in the blazing hell did I pick up 11 points after having watched all of two movies last year

    Madican on
  • Options
    darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Sounds like you are an Academy member.

    darunia106 on
    pHWHd2G.jpg
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    darunia106 wrote: »
    Sounds like you are an Academy member.

    Can't be, I actually saw Spiderverse

  • Options
    darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    I mean Spider-verse won so...

    pHWHd2G.jpg
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Ain't no rule you have to see the movie you're voting for

  • Options
    WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    Spider-Verse won, but probably should have been nominated in more categories. I think there's a strong argument to be made that it's more deserving of Best Picture than several of the actual nominees.

  • Options
    pookapooka Registered User regular
    stolen from the Spider-verse thread

    i no longer invest in the Oscars, so i don't get nearly as mad at the pants-on-head they truck with, but it is heartwarming seeing people who care get recognition they deserve. more of that, please and thank you.


    and don't fucking cut cinematography for time, you goddamn. . . just. . . bad at what makes film a medium!

    lfchwLd.jpg
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Does Bryan Singer get more money because of those BR wins?

  • Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    As this year's winner of BE
    Goose! wrote: »
    Final scores
    0dtbuwcft55t.png

    Full results: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1c0yT8qRCa15jXZpajVTPr_JeOzql4LG0Ce2j2vUeTRw/edit#gid=7013258

    Congrats @Fishman! You live in the not US right...I wanna say NZ?

    Are you sure you don't want your award? If you just tell me your favorite cinema's name I can probably figure something out?
    Bogey wrote: »
    Bogey wrote: »
    Sorry I was so late to this, I'm out of town visiting family.

    A lot of the categories are so wide open this year, it's going to be super difficult. Anyway, I'm just going to put my picks in this thread without entering the contest.
    Best Picture - Green Book

    Best Actress - Glenn Close, The Wife

    Best Actor - Rami Malek, Bohemian Rhapsody

    Best Supporting Actress - Rachel Weisz, The Favourite

    Best Supporting Actor - Mahershala Ali, Green Book

    Best Director - Alfonso Cuarón, Roma

    Best Adapted Screenplay - Charlie Wachtel, David Rabinowitz, Kevin Willmott, and Spike Lee, BlackKklansman

    Best Original Screenplay - Nick Vallelonga, Brian Currie, and Peter Farrelly, Green Book

    Best Foreign Language Film - Roma (Mexico)

    Best Production Design - The Favourite

    Best Visual Effects - First Man

    Best Editing - Bohemian Rhapsody

    Best Cinematography - Roma

    Best Animated Feature - Spider-Man: Into The Spider-verse

    Best Documentary Feature - Free Solo

    Best Costume Design - The Favourite

    Best Makeup And Hairstyling - Vice

    Best Original Score - Black Panther

    Best Original Song - “Shallow,” A Star Is Born

    Best Sound Editing - First Man

    Best Sound Mixing - Bohemian Rhapsody

    Best Animated Short Film - Bao

    Best Documentary Short Subject - Lifeboat

    Best Live Action Short Film - Marguerite
    LOL, I would have won this year with a score of 17 :o

    Any prize I could claim would feel hollow, like claiming I was Heavyweight champion during the time Mohammed Ali couldn't fight. I think we all know the real winner today.

    After last year's run where I missed out by 90 seconds (and 2016 where I put in a decent effort) I'm feeling pretty comfortable with my so-close-but-denied-by-a-slim-margin status. A few more of these and it'll be like I'm the Oscar's pool thread own Leonardo Dicaprio.

    X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Next year I should just vote full-on cynic.

    The last couple of years fooled me into thinking the Oscars still cared about good films instead of films that patted themselves on the back.

  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    The only movie I saw was BoRhap and I had fun watching it but it was not a skillfully made movie

    I picked based on my expectations of the Academy trying to virtue signal and falling on its face

    Captain Inertia on
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Oscars tonight! Should be interesting.

    I had this terrible dream last night that they ACTUALLY made Green Book Best picture.

    Terrifying.

  • Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    Oh no.


    Oh no.

    Raijin's stuck in nega-Groundhog Day. We're all going to be reliving the same day over and over, and our memories will carry on, ever aware of what is going on. His will not. So every day we will get to see his first-time reaction to Green Book winning Best Picture.

    I'm soo sorry, Raijin.

  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    How is this terrible?

    Raijin don’t worry there’s no way Green Book will win. Why, what hilarious and/or horrifying thing would you do if it did win?

  • Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    Because we are now cursed to watch Raijin live a nightmare every single day. I fear for our long-term morale

  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Oh god... My life is so BORING! I'm sorry.

Sign In or Register to comment.