Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

So I Need a Pillow, Google is an Unreliable Source of Info

BouwsTBouwsT Wanna come to a super soft birthday party?Registered User regular
The wife and I are getting new bedding, we have a moderately comfortable mattress that well be replacing when we move, but we'd like to splurge and get some REALLY nice pillows and comforter in the mean time.

What do y'all use / recommend for quality pillows? I'm typically and side/back sleeper, wife is typically a side/stomach sleeper. I'm using this as a jumping off point, but all the Google / YouTube "reviews" appear to be pretty biased and shady.

Do you all use a comforter? I love a big heavy blanket, wife doesnt really care. It's nice for our Canadian winters...

Also, our next mattress combo might be a King, so thoughts on getting a king sized comforter for our queen size bed for the next 6 months to a year? TIA all.

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

• CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited January 26
    I prioritize heat dissipation over everything else, so I wen't with a full Tuft & Needle bedroom set. Their return policy is great and you can buy their products in Lowes if you don't feel like waiting for a delivery.

I'm currently wrestling with comforters. I'm a hot-blooded man and I'm waiting for a Kickstarter comfortable to be released.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    I'd prefer a quilt to a comforter if you like a heavy blanket. I've had expensive pillows, seemed like a waste to me and I now generally just go get something that's sized right for my shoulder width.

A good body pillow is awesome though. Especially if you have any body parts that need to be kept propped up for comfort.

• SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    I'm also a side/back sleeper and I require a super-extra-firm pillow to be comfy. I swear by my bamboo memory foam pillow that I found at Canadian Tire of all places. The problem is that it has no tags and I can't tell who the heck made it. I know it's not one of those "Miracle Memory Foam" pillows with the super "As Seen on TV" branding. It might be by Alwyn Home, which are the pillows that look the closest to what I have.

Two years later and it's still super-extra-firm. I have to flip it on occasion, but it always poofs back up.

We also have a duvet. Husband looooves it for staying warm in our semi-Canadian southern BC winters. I've started menopause and have found it to be a bit too much some nights, so I guess it depends on how soon your wife starts getting hot flashes. :) A pile of blankets/quilts is easier for waking up too hot/cold in the middle of the night and being able to quickly adjust.

Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • mtsmts Registered User regular
    yea i like the memory foam pillow that has a cool side thing that I got at costco a while back.

camo_sig.png
  • CelloCello Registered User regular
    edited January 27
    I haven't got much to contribute here because I'm also a back/side sleeper and I have been struggling to find a good pillow for years

I got a pillow at Sleep Country that was a standard latex pillow that tested well and cost a hundred bucks, but after a few weeks it compressed, is now too low and cricks my neck one way. I got another one that is memory foam you stuff yourself but it's too stiff and it cricks my neck the other way, and the stuffing only shipped to Canada because they didn't realize Amazon shipped me one of their products and felt bad they couldn't follow through on the free softer stuffing promise (that should be US only), so I paid them to send it to me only to make the pillow worse

So uh I'll be watching this thread, basically

Cello on
    Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    I have a Casper pillow and it's not great. It does not hold up to my hot self; Completely squishes down into nothing.

Mugsley wrote:
    So now I need to get it trimmed and adjusted, and all in.

Steam:MichaelLC
  • QuidQuid I don't... what... hnnng Registered User regular
    edited January 27
    Preference for pillows can vary wildly between people. I'd say the best first step would be going to a department store and feeling the pillows there to get an idea of what you'd want.

We love comforters and even more we love weighted blankets. We use this brand that not only keeps us warm but feels amazing to sleep under.

Quid on
    MichaelLCShazkar Shadowstorm
  • CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    We have buckwheat pillows, they use buckwheat shells for stuffing. They seem odd because they're heavy and the shells are firm, but once you sort of work your head in you can get a great night's sleep. Also I run hot at night and don't have any problems with it dissipating heat.

• BlindZenDriverBlindZenDriver Registered User regular
    I am a very big fan of natural materials, so pillows and duvets with natural fill is a must. How much, the shape and all then depends on how you sleep and the temperature you bedroom. If it isn't just abut the same all year round then go for a light insulating duvet for the warmer season and a heavier one for the cold season.

Here is a link to a page with goon info: https://ringsted-dun.dk/en/duvet-selector/

It is also a company that makes pillows and duvets, but I think their advice section is really giving straight honest info.

The whole area with pillows, blankets, duvets and more has some regional differences. It seems in some countries it is blankets and in others it is duvets, for me the later is the right choice. A blanket is more for cuddling under in front of a fire place on a really chilly day.

Bones heal, glory is forever.
  • PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    Costco sells great pillows. They are heavy, firm, heat dissipating. I think they have a few online but i'm not seeing the ones we bought two years ago. If you have a membership or one near you it might be worth checking out.

• iRevertiRevert Tactical Martha Stewart Registered User regular
    @BouwsT A good resource that might help you is SLTD: https://www.sleeplikethedead.com/

Just like any other "review" site I just use it as a bit of extra info when I do my research so take it as you will.

• NaphtaliNaphtali Null Registered User regular
    edited January 28
    I've been using these for a few years (reversable gel memory foam pillow, has a firm and a soft side), and they're pretty comfortable if you don't need a ton of pillows under your head (I usually side sleep or sleep on my back, it works for both). Had one for two years and it held up really well, got a second about six months ago when I thought the pillow was starting to go on me but in reality it was my old mattress.

I've also been trying a Casper pillow lately as well (since I just switched over to a Casper mattress last month), and I'm not a big fan of what the pillow offers for the price. Might be better if you stack two of them together, but I find I can sleep on just one of the foam pillows above without too much issue. I can do the same on the Casper somewhat as its good at molding to your head, but it does become pretty flat in the process. FWIW I find I re-position a lot in my sleep so the foam one is usually really good at handling that, the Casper less so even though they claim it does. The Casper is pretty nice feeling, if you want to try them you might gamble on two (they do have a generous return policy).

Naphtali on
    B.net: Naphtali#1830 | Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | PSN: EI-Naphtali | Wish List
    Pailryder wrote: »
    Costco sells great pillows. They are heavy, firm, heat dissipating. I think they have a few online but i'm not seeing the ones we bought two years ago. If you have a membership or one near you it might be worth checking out.

yea. That is where my current one is for. They sometimes sell this "bamboo" foam one that has a panada and bamboo on it. I tried it. As a side/back sleeper it didn't work for me. somehow too high and not high enough at the same time. the one I have has a small notch in it that I supposes is for your shoulder to slot in so your head is in the center.

camo_sig.png
  • ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    I picked up an Oreous pillow from the very troubled Kickstarter. I was all set to link a new site they could be bought from but I still don't think they've secured a reliable distribution channel. They mentioned in a backup update that they'd be using Amazon to process their remaining shipments, so maybe they'll show up on the site at some point. It's the best pillow I've ever used.

• SimpsoniaSimpsonia Registered User regular
    edited January 28
    I went through pillows for years always having neck pain in the morning. Feathers sucked for me, memory foam (bamboo, shredded, and solid) sucked for me, buckwheat, etc. What I found eventually was that solid latex pillows were the best. They had the neck support I needed, had none of the heat retention issues of foam, and were nice and springy. The pillow I went with was just from Amazon, Brooklyn something or other latex pillow. It did compress a little bit after the first month, but I just put an old hand towel in pillowcase on the underside of the pillow and it has been just the right height since then (2 years and going strong).

Simpsonia on
  • TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    I got a pillow from Pillowise on the advice of my physical therapist and that help a lot with my neck.

steam_sig.png
  • BouwsTBouwsT Wanna come to a super soft birthday party? Registered User regular
    Man, the pillow ecosystem is as diverse as I feared. I was really hoping for all of you to just shout in chorus a single brand. I guess we aren't all so lucky. :hydra:

I really appreciate all the info so far, I'm tossing some options at the wife and will report back once a decision has been made.

@iRevert , I checked out that website, I'm impressed with the information but I'm leery of shill reviewers and it seems the pillow/mattress community is full of them. Even an aggregate reviewer pulls their reviews from online retailers will likely be disproportionately affected by paid reviews... Anyone know of a TRULY independent source, or is it pretty wild-west out there?

I shall be telling this with a sigh
    Somewhere ages and ages hence:
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.
    Thro
  • zepherinzepherin Registered User regular
    I’ve been using my pillow premium which are shredded memory foam. Those are good, the Costco memory cool memory foam are good too.

• ClipseClipse Registered User regular
    I'd highly recommend Brooklinen's down pillows (I can't personally vouch for the down alternative, though the company in general seems pretty dedicated to quality); they also do an excellent job breaking down the actual details of how stuff is constructed and why -- see their pillow breakdown, for example. They're quite good for sheets and comforters/duvets as well.

And if your definition of splurging extends into the stratosphere, Frette has fantastic down pillows. Just... don't look at the prices if you're faint of heart.

• djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    I have one of these shaped memory foam pillows, which is pretty danged solid but if you like a solid pillow I can recommend it. (the rest of my family thinks I may as well be sleeping on some 2x4s, mind you, so it may not be for everyone)

so we bought a casper mattress this weekend and went to a physical store to test them out first. They have their own pillow line and its not bad. its definitely on the softer side but it is a 2 layer pillow. soft outer core and a firm support layer in the middle. I didn't try it out too long, but my wife bought one and she seems to really like it based on one night of sleeping.

she is more of a back sleeper. I thought it might have been a touch too soft for a side sleeper. I was intrigued though, need to give it some time when she isn't looker

camo_sig.png
    BouwsT
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    I bought a buckwheat pillow at the advice of this thread and it's my jam. Just like sleeping with a packed backpack under your head, but better posture. Softness fucks up my back so I like having the pillow hard as tiny rocks.

What is this I don't even.