Options

The [Movie] Thread: Where the term "projection" is A-OK!

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    TehSpectre wrote: »
    Gottfried is blacklisted, so nope!

He'll be at the Gathering of the Juggalos this year, though!

Huh?

• Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    shryke wrote: »

Huh?
    He made a 9/11 joke on Twittera week after it happened at a roast and disappeared from everything.

https://www.vulture.com/2016/02/gilbert-gottfried-on-his-911-joke-too-soon.html

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    edited May 2019

Huh?

Tsunami jokes just after the Japanese Tsunami/Fukushima stuff.

examples:

“I just split up with my girlfriend, but like the Japanese say, “They’ll be another one floating by any minute now.”

“I was talking to my Japanese real estate agent. I said ‘is there a school in this area.’ She said ‘not now, but just wait.’”

edit: there is worse if you care to go looking.

Aridhol on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Eh Gilbert has always been a shock comic (I mean the voice alone) It's how he makes his moneys.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Man, that's it? I mean, they aren't the greatest jokes but a couple of them are chuckle-worthy.

• Options
    Man, that's it? I mean, they aren't the greatest jokes but a couple of them are chuckle-worthy.

The jokes cost him his aflac duck thing. Because apparently aflac is big in japan, and yeah they didn't take kindly to the humor.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    Eh Gilbert has always been a shock comic (I mean the voice alone) It's how he makes his moneys.

It's sort of like blacklisting Dice for saying bad words at an awards show. Like, Aflac clearly didnt do any fucking research before hiring him.

Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Options
    Capt Howdy wrote: »

It's sort of like blacklisting Dice for saying bad words at an awards show. Like, Aflac clearly didnt do any fucking research before hiring him.

The way these things work, it's more likely they were fine with him till someone made a stink about it and then they cut him loose solely for PR reasons.

Same as, say, James Gunn and Disney.

• Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    Aflac does like, half of their business in japan and their spokes... duck mocked their country a day or so after a national tragedy, so Aflac make the absolutely correct decision to fire him

it's not really comparable to digging through someone's past and exposing stuff they said years ago.

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular

Hard pass.

(On Aladdin, that is)

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    Aflac does like, half of their business in japan and their spokes... duck mocked their country a day or so after a national tragedy, so Aflac make the absolutely correct decision to fire him

it's not really comparable to digging through someone's past and exposing stuff they said years ago.

It's comparable in that in both cases they only give a shit because there were enough complaints that they were scared they might lose business.

Aflac may well have known exactly the kind of comic Gottfried was but as long as he didn't generate any complaints, it's all good. In the same way, Disney was well aware of what Gunn had said but since no one complained, they didn't care. And then someone did and they cut them loose to avoid bad PR.

• Options
    I can recall when Gottfried lost the contract he wasn't surprised. I'm sure if anything he was surprised how long it took. Dude has been offensive since day 1.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular

The way these things work, it's more likely they were fine with him till someone made a stink about it and then they cut him loose solely for PR reasons.

Well, with James Gunn it was a single action ~10 years ago, he hasn't done similar behaviors since, and he apologized sincerely (or at least, it appeared to be sincere) before it was a public "scandal".

Based on the responses here, that doesn't sound like Gilbert. So in very important ways (to me, at least) these aren't very equivalent situations.

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    A lot of Gottfried's most controversial jokes (the tsunami stuff, the 9/11 stuff) always struck me as the type of humor that's around because the only other thing to do is cry. That avenue of humor has fallen out of fashion recently among comics and the public, it seems, but I understand its purpose.

• Options
    Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    I’m not (and may never be) ready to say the new version is better, but it does do some things better than the original.

From what I understand, when Will is not trying to be Robin is much, much better than Will trying to be Robin.

Yes, the film is at its strongest when it does its own thing such as Smith’s genie basically being a match maker similar to Hitch.

And I quite enjoyed seeing a different Iago as well.

I did find it really odd that the film seems to speed up some sequences; in the last dance they seem to be going at 1.5 speed (the dance is pretty quick anyway). It just seems really jarring in how tacky it looks.

PSN Fleety2009
  • Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    Yep. Gottfried told the Aristocrats joke a week or so after 911 simply because shit felt to serious at a roast(?).

Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    Gottfrieds standup / non movie stuff always came across to me as an asshole just saying whatever to be shocking. Never liked it and no great loss imo.

• Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    Aridhol wrote: »
    Gottfrieds standup / non movie stuff always came across to me as an asshole just saying whatever to be shocking. Never liked it and no great loss imo.

I agree, and I would never want to hire him.

My beef comes in when it gets to the point where others are discouraging potential employers because they dont like his material/shctick.

I guess my line is where offensive crosses into hurtful. Perhaps Gottfried has crossed it, but I dont like his offensive stuff, so I doubt I will ever come across any hurtful material if it exists unless i went looking for it.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    Between the trailers and the soundtrack, I was already turbo hype for Godzilla but MovieBob's review might be the most pure thing I've ever seen and my hype is now stratospheric:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGfF0re2-GY

It's worth watching just to see a grown man implode from hype leaving only his inner child behind to try and finish the review.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    Things that are impossible:

Turning off Desperado once it's begun

Help, I'm trapped in a sequence of one great scene after the next

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    kime wrote: »

Well, with James Gunn it was a single action ~10 years ago, he hasn't done similar behaviors since, and he apologized sincerely (or at least, it appeared to be sincere) before it was a public "scandal".

Based on the responses here, that doesn't sound like Gilbert. So in very important ways (to me, at least) these aren't very equivalent situations.

It was literally the day after the tsunami he made a bunch of jokes about it.

• Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    Astaereth wrote: »
    Things that are impossible:

Turning off Desperado once it's begun

Help, I'm trapped in a sequence of one great scene after the next

It's ok. Selma Hayek is there to help you through.

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    I just saw Gottfried on Netflix playing Hitler doing a comedy roast of Anne Frank (seriously) so apparently he's still getting work. Also it was actually pretty funny.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    Ummm what the fuck.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    I just saw Gottfried on Netflix playing Hitler doing a comedy roast of Anne Frank (seriously) so apparently he's still getting work. Also it was actually pretty funny.

:confused:

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    RickRude wrote: »
    Just finished watching the first two 90's TMNT movies with the kiddos. The first movie is superb. Good story, great effects, the suits look primo, the music is awesome, Casey Jones is perfect, and the voice actors knocked it out of the park. That was as good an introduction to the Turtles as one could hope for.

The fuck happened with Secret of the Ooze? The first one made bank. Why replace the original voice actors, get a new April, shitcan Casey, go cheaper on the suits, kidify the action, lighten the atmosphere, and go small with the story? Introduce more mutants like they did (preferably Bebop and Rocksteady), and end the movie with Krang and the technodrome as the stinger.

Way to waste a great setup.

Blame our parents at the time. Turtles was too dark and too edgy so patents complained abd that led to the sequel. Believe it had a hard pg-13. While the sequel may have just been pg.

The turtles never use their weapons in part 2 if I remember right. I know Mikey never uses his nunchucks.

I'm pretty sure the first was just PG.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    Between the trailers and the soundtrack, I was already turbo hype for Godzilla but MovieBob's review might be the most pure thing I've ever seen and my hype is now stratospheric:

It's worth watching just to see a grown man implode from hype leaving only his inner child behind to try and finish the review.

Yeeeesss, gooooood.

The first film was alright, but the posters I've been seeing for this have been giving me a very very strong classic Godzilla vibe. And it seems like they figured out to dump the overwrought human crap in favor of lots more monsters smashing shit. Really interested in seeing where this franchise goes with what we know from Skull Island.

• Options
    NobeardNobeard North Carolina: Failed StateRegistered User regular

My taste align pretty closely with Moviebob, so him being this excited has me about to pop with anticipation. I haven't looked forward to a movie like this year's. Not even Marvel gets me like this.

• Options
    edited May 2019

This is a real thing you can watch on Netflix right now. In case you just thought I was making a shitty joke.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/historical_roasts/s01/e03

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular

This is a real thing you can watch on Netflix right now.

Yeah I dont fucking think I want to thanks a bunch tho

• Options
    Ooooooo kay.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options

This is a real thing you can watch on Netflix right now.

Yeah I dont fucking think I want to thanks a bunch tho

Let me clarify. I thought your initial response was because you thought I was making a shitty joke and the show wasn't real, because frankly the premise is absurd and it sounds like a shitty joke. I provided the link to prove the show was real. The link gives information on the show. That's all.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    Doing a comedy roast of Anne Frank just sounds really gross and antisemitic. Casting a guy who was making 9/11 jokes before the airports reopened as Hitler is not helping.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    Nobeard wrote: »

My taste align pretty closely with Moviebob, so him being this excited has me about to pop with anticipation. I haven't looked forward to a movie like this year's. Not even Marvel gets me like this.

Yeah, I'm getting some major Pacific Rim vibes from this in the sense that it's something so pure and unadulteratedly in love with its source that it embraces it warts and all. Even the soundtrack has grabbed me the same way the Pacific Rim OST did and I've been listening to it non-stop since buying it yesterday. It's rare that a movie just speaks to me on an almost spiritual level and I have a feeling I'm gonna leave Godzilla having the same sort of excited 5 year old reaction I had when leaving Pacific Rim.

If you haven't listened to the main theme from the movie yet it's fucking glorious. If you wanna be surprised don't click play but HOLY FUCKING SHIT DID IT MAKE ME EVEN MORE HYPE! The entire OST is just pure god damn fire and is easily sitting with the Pacific Rim OST for evoking a sense of scale and raw stompy destruction. The whole soundtrack has me spending every waking moment just anticipating this god damn movie.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qBvXSv2qoY

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Not actually a mod. Roaming the streets, waving his gun around.Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Oh man, Pacific Rim is one of the most purely fun movies I've ever seen, and if Godzilla can capture that, they can have all my monies. Like I will just put their name on my bank account and get them their own Visa check card and tell them to have at it.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    I'm wondering just how much giant monster action the movie is going to have. All the trailer bits I've seen with humans show all the same footage, but I keep seeing loads of new monster bits and scenes in the trailers. Is it possible they will actually give the majority of the movie over to giant monster footage instead of bogging it down with human scenes?

Because Pacific Rim did okay on that score, but it still spent a quite a lot of time on people stuff that could've been spent on giant robots smashing giant monsters.

• Options
    edited May 2019
    To my back is every single Pacific Rim figure ever released along with the Comic Con and Loot Box exclusives. I don't say that to brag but to make a point. No movie has ever grabbed me the way Pacific Rim did. Period. Full stop. Etc.
    I.
    Fucking.
    Love.
    Pacific Rim.
    The lead up to it, the soundtrack, and the final product hit me in an incredible way so when I say Godzilla is pushing those buttons all over again I want you to understand what I mean when I say that. Just hit play on that main theme and tell me that something special isn't about to happen this week (or not if you want to avoid spoilers). The trailers and soundtrack know what they are and love what they are and the soundtrack in particular is just...ugh...it's so good y'all. I can feel the movie just sitting here listening to it the same way you can feel Gipsy Danger punching Leatherback's lights out or Cherno Alpha delivering that drop elbow. The trailers have wisely avoided using any of the cues from the actual OST because y'all, your brain is gonna BSOD when you hear this in the theaters. Movie Bob fucking adored Pacific Rim but Godzilla made him completely and thoroughly melt down into a blabbering mess.

I honestly don't know if my body is remotely ready for this. I sincerely apologize in advance for the in thread meltdown I'm almost assuredly to have after seeing this.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    I really, really don’t want wall to wall kaiju action (unless you can pull off some kind of Terence Malick shit). A giant lizard isn’t giant unless a human being is looking up at him. For all its faults, Pacific Rim and Godzilla 2014 both captured that sense of scale that I think is so vital to the genre.

So I think people are important (more important than the monsters even—look at Colossal, or Shin Godzilla). They just need to be written better.

I get why it’s hard. Godzilla is a force of nature, he’s not really a character but his (or other monsters’) presence in the movie determines what happens to every character. You have to find a way to give them meaningful narratives in a situation that largely removes their choices, and does so in such a LOUD way that it’s hard to discount that factor (the way, for example, Cast Away feels like a movie that’s just about Tom Hanks, much more so than if the island spent the movie trying to eat him).

This is why, I’d argue, there really hasn’t ever been a truly great work of cinema that’s a disaster movie. (The Birds, maybe? I’m struggling.)

I think you have to in a certain sense find a story to tell that is about the human response to an implacable Fate, and I don’t think we have the narrative knack anymore. You’d have to go back to like, Shakespeare, or the Ancient Greeks. The culture doesn’t want stories about helplessness and cinema is practically ingrained against such things. We just don’t have Gods anymore.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular

This is why, I’d argue, there really hasn’t ever been a truly great work of cinema that’s a disaster movie. (The Birds, maybe? I’m struggling.)

I think you have to in a certain sense find a story to tell that is about the human response to an implacable Fate, and I don’t think we have the narrative knack anymore. You’d have to go back to like, Shakespeare, or the Ancient Greeks. The culture doesn’t want stories about helplessness and cinema is practically ingrained against such things. We just don’t have Gods anymore.

I’m always a fan of the Poseidon Adventure as far as “people in the face of disaster” and for more recent fare Melancholia is a hell of a ride. Maybe the first 2/3rds of Sunshine?

Unless you’re specifying Giant Monster/Creature Disaster movies which is probably a much harder sell. For everything the original Godzilla’s and King Kong have to say they’re still hokey stop-motion Man-in-suit movies. Cloverfield is an incredible experience the first time. I’m also a big fan of the 2014 Godzilla. I thought it had a lot of little touches that worked on subsequent watches, like how nature is just maliciously fucking with the military and the humans from the word go, blinding them with fog and rain and storms. And how the MUTO are monsters but Godzilla is something much muchier. Everyone runs screaming from the MUTO but when Godzilla shows up they’re all stock still and dead quiet.

• Options
    edited May 2019
    I'm wondering just how much giant monster action the movie is going to have. All the trailer bits I've seen with humans show all the same footage, but I keep seeing loads of new monster bits and scenes in the trailers. Is it possible they will actually give the majority of the movie over to giant monster footage instead of bogging it down with human scenes?

Because Pacific Rim did okay on that score, but it still spent a quite a lot of time on people stuff that could've been spent on giant robots smashing giant monsters.
    The thing is, the human aspects of Pacific Rim are what make it work. It's all about its messaging about working together and learning to let people in to your life to help heal past trauma. We may love the stompy robot parts but what lets them all gel is that very human aspect. Likewise, a good kaiju movie still needs that broader tether to very human stories for it to really work. A big punch up with just monsters/stompy robots/etc. ends up being pretty soulless.
    I really, really don’t want wall to wall kaiju action (unless you can pull off some kind of Terence Malick shit). A giant lizard isn’t giant unless a human being is looking up at him. For all its faults, Pacific Rim and Godzilla 2014 both captured that sense of scale that I think is so vital to the genre.

So I think people are important (more important than the monsters even—look at Colossal, or Shin Godzilla). They just need to be written better.

I get why it’s hard. Godzilla is a force of nature, he’s not really a character but his (or other monsters’) presence in the movie determines what happens to every character. You have to find a way to give them meaningful narratives in a situation that largely removes their choices, and does so in such a LOUD way that it’s hard to discount that factor (the way, for example, Cast Away feels like a movie that’s just about Tom Hanks, much more so than if the island spent the movie trying to eat him).

That's something the trailers have me hopeful for. They definitely seem to be pushing the idea that this is the world of monsters and we just need to hope for the best.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
This discussion has been closed.