As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Podcats

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    anime culture is famously obsessed with masonry

Anime characters love getting stoned.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    There is a scene where a bridge collapses under Legolas and he falls but somehow runs up a row of falling stones to make it back to solid ground and it felt like some gravity defying Naruto shit or some such

• Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    i hate that i asked

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    There is a scene where a bridge collapses under Legolas and he falls but somehow runs up a row of falling stones to make it back to solid ground and it felt like some gravity defying Naruto shit or some such

It's easily the stupidest thing in all six movies.

Stupider than trying to kill Smaug with molten gold.

Even stupider than the barrel dwarf blitz.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular

It's easily the spirit thing in all six movies.

Stupider than trying to kill Smaug with moltan gold.

Well they forgot to move "Is Melt" over to "Smaug" first.

Bilbo Is You

• Options
    DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
  • Options
    masterofmetroidmasterofmetroid Have you ever looked at a world and seen it as a kind of challenge?Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    There is an underlying idea in the Hobbit movies of making the fight scenes more fantastical, which i think isn't even a bad choice

But i cannot stress enough how bad most (And not all i would say) of the stuff in those movie's fight scenes looks on a basic level that often gets miss-attributed as it being corny or cartoony, when it's something kind of more hard to pin down i think

Legolas stepping up those stairs by all rights shouldn't be that much wilder than him sliding down an elephant's trunk, but something about the execution is just off

masterofmetroid on
  • Options
    Partly because the effect looks like garbage too

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    I adore the barrel ride down the river. Bombur's bullshit nonsense during it is the hardest I have ever laughed inside of a theater.

• Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    the 48 frames thing effectively doubled the cgi team's work

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    That Lindsay Ellis series on the Hobbits is severely demoralising

• Options
    DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
  • Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular

"Looks cool" is way more important than "is physically possible" especially when it's already a fuckin' fantasy story beyond being a movie. Running up stuff as you fall is cool and good.

Now the execution of it was bad because the execution of many things in that movie are bad, but the idea is solid

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    masterofmetroidmasterofmetroid Have you ever looked at a world and seen it as a kind of challenge?Registered User regular
    Hobnail wrote: »
    That Lindsay Ellis series on the Hobbits is severely demoralising
    Yeah i was about five minutes from mentioning the whole bit where the trilogy's whole existence helped create some awful anti-union repercussions

Really sucks out those lingering bits of good will and whimsy for me

• Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular

"Looks cool" is way more important than "is physically possible" especially when it's already a fuckin' fantasy story beyond being a movie. Running up stuff as you fall is cool and good.

Now the execution of it was bad because the execution of many things in that movie are bad, but the idea is solid

It's why, comparatively, the stuff in Lord of the Rings is good

It looks like it works, so you buy it, so it just gets to be cool

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Re: Bad PuTJ jokes, fwiw

Also get it if an apology doesn't do it, but she's at least aware

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Pretty good way to give that feedback IMO

• Options
    CheeselikerCheeseliker Registered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »
    Zonugal wrote: »
    I still want someone to edit down the three hobbit movies into one tight 3 hours max movie.

The only stipulation is that all the songs must stay.

My roommate did this and I believe it came in around 5 hours.

Someone around here did one...I think it's 4 or 4.5?

There was one i saw that was around 4...the guy also put the gandalf side-story into its own short hour-ish movie. The 4 hour hobbit cut was pretty good. Cut out the elf-dwarf relationship altogether, cut out alot of terrible stuff.

• Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    The barrel scene is good.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    Me, in 2014: Oh god, Microsoft just bought Minecraft. I'm super worried about a game that is seen by millions of impressionable minds being handled by a huge corporation with a vested interest in pushing their game platform.

Me, five years later: I'm so fucking happy Minecraft is no longer in the hands of a crazy, transphobic alt-right asshole. Thanks Microsoft!

• Options
    Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    turtleant wrote: »
    The barrel scene is good.

People bagged on the go-pro bit—myself included—but if more of the movie had that sort of ramshackle production feel (as opposed to “jank cgi”) it would only work in the movies favor

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    I spent the entirety of that punch up with my head in my hands and sighing in disbelief

• Options
    Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    after watching episode 7 of the doc, “the incredible sadness of roman grosjean,” I’m deep in it for haas

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    after watching episode 7 of the doc, “the incredible sadness of roman grosjean,” I’m deep in it for haas

It's so unbelievably good

• Options
    LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    ani2lgelbjgh.png

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    ani2lgelbjgh.png

Wow later levels of Baba is you get real crazy, huh?

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    Me, in 2014: Oh god, Microsoft just bought Minecraft. I'm super worried about a game that is seen by millions of impressionable minds being handled by a huge corporation with a vested interest in pushing their game platform.

Me, five years later: I'm so fucking happy Minecraft is no longer in the hands of a crazy, transphobic alt-right asshole. Thanks Microsoft!

Sad he got all that money though.

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    godmode wrote: »

Sad he got all that money though.

he seems like the sort of person that money makes extremely miserable, at least

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    The ennui and misery of wealth is too esoteric and unrelatable to be satisfying it's like the melancholy of a god

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    money doesn't make people miserable

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    I'm willing to test that theory

• Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    I adored riddles in the dark and the Bilbo/Smaug scenes.
    The CGI elsewhere may have fallen short, but the CGI of Smaug trying to find bilbo is exceptional in my memory.
    Martin Freeman is a perfect Bilbo, and Andy Serkis and Benedict Cumberbatch were also great in their roles. I may not like a bunch of Cumberbatch's roles, but I really respect the lengths he went to to portray Smaug as well as he did.

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    DJ Eebs wrote: »
    I'm willing to test that theory

I too volunteer myself to be a second trial

don't try to talk me out of it, I've made up my mind. i'm willing to make this sacrifice for science

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    Hahaha, this chip ranking question is poised to destroy the bombcast.

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Hahaha, this chip ranking question is poised to destroy the bombcast.

That might be the most heated I’ve heard the Bombcast get in a while.

That and this one

https://youtu.be/3MXCW6otqt8

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    So I finally started watching Project BEAST, already episode 2 I'm frustrated because Austin Walker is so clearly...smarter?

https://youtu.be/RbTUTNenvCY

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
    edited March 2019

The movies came out almost 20 years ago

Edit: my bad, i just want to do the oh god we old thing

Peas on
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Peas wrote: »

The Hobbit 3 came out 5 years ago

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    Peas wrote: »

I'm talking about the third Hobbit film specifically, which was 5 years ago, and looks way worse than anything from 2001

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    I don't think Austin is necessarily smarter, but he has a breadth of knowledge and an understanding of that knowledge that eclipses probably most of the crew. I wish he was still around full time. I would love to see a full time dynamic with him and Abby.

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
This discussion has been closed.