As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

That's the [Anthem], y'all got to play me. Get your gun, suit up!

• Options
    Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    asofyeun wrote: »
    Man, Tyrant Mine is much, much harder now than it was in the demo (on hard mode)

Lots of groups getting wrecked in the first area and then giving up at the second

Strongholds are at least a half level of difficulty higher than other missions.

I’m ok with it, but add it to the list of things that could be communicated better.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Options
    RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    I was a Colossus with defensive components when I did Heart of the Tyrant and two sniper shots totally destroyed my shield and another one put me at critical health. It was pointless. The only viable thing for the mission was super long range damage to peek and snipe the turrets and snipers.

• Options
    dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    Out of curiosity, when y'all are hitting 30 and selecting "Hard", are your javelins at the recommended rarity level? (I've got 2 hours of trial left, I'm not getting close by Friday, so like I know?)

• Options
    soylenthsoylenth Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    Beezel wrote: »
    image0.jpg

Stupid, sexy Matthias.

Hello new phone wallpaper!

• Options
    htmhtm Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    Like I'm kind of split myself...keep in mind I haven't played the game as I'm on PS4 so just going on what I've watched and played of the demo.

And the strongholds were fun, like really fun. But honestly everything I've seen of freeplay and non-stronghold missions seems like the blog standard looter shooter stuff(go somewhere, shoot a bunch of things, get loot). Which you can argue is how most games work but I find it especially rote in these kind of games.

Like I'm not one of those grinding for the sake of grinding people, there has to be a hook. We'll see.

I'm still getting it cause I have money to burn rn and not much it coming out that interests me. But the whole "you have to wait a year before the game gets interesting" thing that these kind of games seem to have going on is pretty annoying.

Reddit has certainly soured on it. Read /r/AnthemTheGame, and you'd think the only two measures of a quality game are load screens (or, preferably, the lack thereof) and the design of the menu system. I mean... I love me some nitpicking on QoL issues, too, but the level of hate spewing out of /r/ATG for non-gameplay, non-story issues is pretty over the top.

But yeah, I'm not sure how the reviews will fall out. I find it loads of fun as a shooter and a good but not great BW story experience. In theory, that makes for a pretty good game. But it's also sort of irrationally irritating that BW seems unable to learn anything from other games, even their own. You'd think that after ME:A, they'd devote some effort to an efficient, streamlined UI. You'd think after DA:I and ME:A, they'd really work hard on designing filler content that's varied and interesting. You'd think that after maintaining SWTOR for 7 years, they'd be able to effectively mix single-player and group questing in a multi-player game. You'd think that after 5 years of working with Frostbite, they'd have figured out how to make character hair that doesn't look like it was scalped off a soldier in a Battlefield game. Etc., etc. Anthem's flaws are a lot of the same shit that BW's been getting wrong since DA:I.

htm on
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    I'd like to think all the furor will make EA go "maybe BioWare should stick to single player, non open world games" but really it will just result in BW getting closed because EA management are pants-on-head.

• Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    One of the frequently recurring complaints I hear about now is the whole "why did they limit flight like this why can't I fly forever this is awful" arguments, and I think it nearly summates the problems Anthem has had and will continue to have

Is that people saw other games and other elements in Anthem, drew their own conclusions as to how the game would behave (should behave) from those elements, and disappointed themselves when they didn't behave how they expected them to
    Flight is deliberately limited as such so that the sky box and playable space doesn't become overly expansive to the point where its scale makes everything seem laughably small, or restrictive in the way of invisible walls
    The cooldown mechanic has better suspension of disbelief than a stamina-bar style fuel gauge and ties player movement to navigation through the environment so players aren't completely disconnected from the window dressing

• Options
    SeGaTaiSeGaTai Registered User regular
    See I'm in the opposite boat where I wished they dumped all the conversation - and just double downed on team fight aspects - more designed encounters were your really want a colossus up front soaking shots - storm up top freezing things - enabling ranger/interceptors to get in to actually finish off hard to kill targets.

But instead most fights are just pick off a blob of mobs - or just wittling down an ash titan as he cycles through his 4 attacks.

PSN SeGaTai
  • Options
    BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    htm wrote: »
    image0.jpg

Stupid, sexy Matthias.

Matthias' story arc really makes me wish he...
    they

...were romanceable. >.>
    SPOILER_1550458112353.png
    teamwork makes the dream work.

PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • Options
    SeGaTai wrote: »
    See I'm in the opposite boat where I wished they dumped all the conversation - and just double downed on team fight aspects - more designed encounters were your really want a colossus up front soaking shots - storm up top freezing things - enabling ranger/interceptors to get in to actually finish off hard to kill targets.

But instead most fights are just pick off a blob of mobs - or just wittling down an ash titan as he cycles through his 4 attacks.

As an Interceptor, I can't even on an Ash Titan, except to pop my ultimate and stab him in the shins for 30s. I still have no idea what optimal tactics are for those things.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular

As an Interceptor, I can't even on an Ash Titan, except to pop my ultimate and stab him in the shins for 30s. I still have no idea what optimal tactics are for those things.

There aren't any. You just hang out and wait until their back/chest opens and then get some damage in. They're very, very poorly designed.

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    dporowski wrote: »
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    3clipse wrote: »
    Two missions after finishing the tedious Tomb bullshit, there's a mission with a fight that's easily 20 minutes if you happen to be doing the campaign on solo hard as a lot of us are.

Why, BioWare. Why.

This game's going to get a lot of middling or low review scores and I'm not even sure they won't be deserved. It's a truly amazing core gameplay experience with solid writing and everything else about it is just terribly designed :(

I mean... It's designed and balanced for MP. They said it's designed and balanced for MP, and they start you on Normal and suggest you start Hard when your gear is at such and so. Honestly, why ever would you think that Solo + Hard would be a great experience 2 days into the prerelease?

Like I legitimately don't get it. Why would one do this? It is not a thing that would ever occur to me, so I wonder what I'm missing.

Well apparently if you load in faster than the rest of your team, you get a bunch of dialogue that they don't get. Load in and get attacked immediately? Party might show up after everything is already dead. So Solo is a perfectly reasonable thing to want, aside from just not wanting to deal with other people. I'm not playing solo but I've definitely loaded in before teammates and they've likely missed dialogue.

Huh. This does not seem to be a thing on Xbox, that I have seen. The worst thing I've seen has been "Oh I guess one dude got dropped" in a segue from combat -> RP -> combat, and I only knew because "well this seems more challenging than usual" and only 3 people on the victory screen.

It's a thing on PC because PCs aren't a standard box that everyone else has, like on a console. Earlier in the thread, someone said their group had varying loading speeds because of what storage they were using. NVMe SSD's loaded in a few seconds before other SSDs, and mechanical HDDs loaded in 30+ seconds later. This is expected when you use an SSD of any kind, but this is also why multiplayer games have staging screens where it waits for everyone to load in before launching the game.

Feels like yet another thing Bioware overlooked for PC gamers, but that is starting to feel about normal for this game.

• Options
    I think the game will do fine. Reddit over reacting is pretty much par for the course.

While it seems a great many people would have preferred a SWTOR experience with a more fleshed out story and SP main missions, thats not what Bioware wanted to do; for better or worse. I don’t doubt that things will smooth out over time. Bosses that take 40 minutes solo will probably be nerfed/fixed, UI will improve, and hopefully the in mission systems get tweaked.

Just like the demo, Bioware did themselves a disservice releasing the PC version early. This game was clearly developed for consoles first and for most. Take the controls and UX that is console friendly and combine that with PC technical issues that always seem to happen with frostbite, it’s not surprising that the reception so far is mixed.

Overall the core gameplay is amazing though. It reminds me a lot of ME3 MP where i just get an itch to jump in for a bit to fight some things, maybe do a quest or 2.

• Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    Mmmm....
    Late-ish Game NPC conversation spoiler
    I'm pretty sure if you say I'm glad to be back, Mom you're Satan

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    edited February 2019

There aren't any. You just hang out and wait until their back/chest opens and then get some damage in. They're very, very poorly designed.

I gave up on a lesser titan on hard freeplay because of this. All i could do was pot shot it in the head. Without it’s spawns i would have ran out of ammo before getting it to half health.

These things remind me of the articles that came out about some of the rocky development that was going on around this game. Like did nobody internally take an Interceptor out to fight a titan on hard or above? Do they just assume you’ll have support from other people/javelins?

Same freeplay session i found 2 world events I tried to voice chat folks to come over and help with, but got no response or reaction. For a game that really wants you to work with others, there in game communication systems really could use some work.

Edit: to be fair, i was setup for melee. I imagine with higher damage glaives and and explosive sniper i might have done better.

Trajan45 on
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Trajan45 wrote: »
    Just like the demo, Bioware did themselves a disservice releasing the PC version early. This game was clearly developed for consoles first and for most. Take the controls and UX that is console friendly and combine that with PC technical issues that always seem to happen with frostbite, it’s not surprising that the reception so far is mixed.

That's EA, not Bioware. EA are pushing Origin Access hard, because there's a lot of money to be made (and Premiere harder, because its cost is ludicrous and this was a game that should drive it).

But yeah, Bioware made a console game, not a PC game. So the early access is irritating as many people as its impressing.

• Options
    Cobalt60Cobalt60 regular Registered User regular
    Reddit by design is an echo chamber. The most popular opinions are reinforced through upvotes and any opinion that dissents from that is downvoted such that is never seen by a large percentage of people.

Heaps of people actively wish for this game to fail for whatever reason; punishment for Bioware not making the game they wanted, simply just hating EA etc, even if they had no intention of playing it themselves. Reddit being sour on it is something that I'm not shocked by.

• Options
    One of the frequently recurring complaints I hear about now is the whole "why did they limit flight like this why can't I fly forever this is awful" arguments, and I think it nearly summates the problems Anthem has had and will continue to have

Is that people saw other games and other elements in Anthem, drew their own conclusions as to how the game would behave (should behave) from those elements, and disappointed themselves when they didn't behave how they expected them to
    Flight is deliberately limited as such so that the sky box and playable space doesn't become overly expansive to the point where its scale makes everything seem laughably small, or restrictive in the way of invisible walls
    The cooldown mechanic has better suspension of disbelief than a stamina-bar style fuel gauge and ties player movement to navigation through the environment so players aren't completely disconnected from the window dressing

Interestingly, since I discovered how waterfalls work, outside of combat I only have to land when I screw up, and it's FUN. Once I get a heat sink or two in, it's going to be zoom city! The whole heat/flight/diving/water game is pretty slick. In combat, playing as a Storm, if I never had to hit the ground, it'd be boring as hell, and I'd be MORE of a god. Drops to cool off are about the only balancing factor.

And yep, agreed, "I think it will work like X, it doesn't work like X, it is therefore bad!" is kind of... Endemic, nowadays.

• Options
    Cobalt60 wrote: »
    Reddit by design is an echo chamber. The most popular opinions are reinforced through upvotes and any opinion that dissents from that is downvoted such that is never seen by a large percentage of people.

Heaps of people actively wish for this game to fail for whatever reason; punishment for Bioware not making the game they wanted, simply just hating EA etc, even if they had no intention of playing it themselves. Reddit being sour on it is something that I'm not shocked by.

Eh, /r/ATG was a pretty big hypefest even after the demo. So either the people who were there who like the game are all busy playing it or else a lot of them have done an about-face.

Not saying that reddit is good or right, just the tone of /r/AnthemTheGame has undergone a massive change since last week.

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    I dunno, I'm not a fan of having to land and wait a second as I fly out to story missions. The flying is fun and I've been enjoying storm when I switched over at level 8. I can understand the complaints of it feeling a bit limited.

I'm having fun but the stuff in between the combat missions is boring and slow, the UI is pretty clunky. Definitely feels like it could use more time in the oven and I'm glad I didn't drop 60 for it. It'll be interesting to see where the game ends up in six months or so.

• Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular

Their arms also become crit spots during many of their attacks.

As a storm, I use guns on the arms during it's attacks, use abilities on the stuff they spawn (for health/ammo and ult charge), Dodge attacks, and Ult.

• Options
    edited February 2019
    Flight feels balanced around combat and not travel. Not sure there is a solution. If they doubled flight, it would give me more cushion against over heats and such in battle. While more travel flight time would be nice, i’ve never had it be an annoyance.

One tough battle i had today on hard was particularly tense as the Scars heavy kept hitting me with flame shots causing me to overheat. So I couldn’t just fly out of battle and had to use terrain to help me dodge till my shields came back.

Trajan45 on
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    I feel like people have largely forgotten that there's a new story episode slated for March. I think this is really only the beginning...

• Options
    VladimerVladimer Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Gotta say, after getting a few MWs and really trying to embrace the grind post 30: this game has a bit of polish left to go.

A lot of the quality of life stuff has been covered, but going into a GM1 Stronghold and 1) getting a revive bug so no one can be revived on the team 2) someone AFKing halfway through because they're sick of the slogfest 3) enemies shoot you through walls because of your "streaming quality" (also, random mooks who spawn behind you constantly do the most damage and never have to aim?) 4) the instance itself "shutting down" randomly after a few attempts, thus making me waste consumables I used just to give myself a boost

also: the UI has been bagged to hell and back. I just have one question: IN AN RPG WHY DO YOU HAVE TO GO OUT OF YOUR WAY TO SEE ANY GODDAMN NUMBER VALUES?

yeah. I might wait out a few months and play Apex/Destiny 2's new season instead.

Vladimer on
  • Options
    spool32 wrote: »
    I feel like people have largely forgotten that there's a new story episode slated for March. I think this is really only the beginning...

At this point there are enough Live Services style looter games that you cannot afford to have your release be just the beginning. You make a big 'ol splash or you die.

• Options
    edited February 2019
    What the hell kind of expectations are people having when "And our first free content release is a couple weeks after launch!" is a negative?

Edit: Re: Flight, you almost never have to land. Start out high, do a dive to drop your heat when you need to, and as you fly look for a waterfall. Skim the crest/top of it to drop heat again, and give yourself a cushion of Cooled as you climb, then just repeat. I like to perch every now and again to re-orient in freeplay, but on a mission, you'll probably make it most of the way between encounters without needing to land.

dporowski on
  • Options
    I would guess the number of games you can play of this exact style that already have an enormous amount of content.

"More coming soon!" only works as a draw for games that are a) the first in a genre or b) single player.

• Options
    To phrase your question in a different way, how utterly fucked is the AAA games industry that the main draw isn't "look at our rad feature-complete game" but instead "here are all the things coming in the future for the game we want you to buy today."

• Options
    I would guess the number of games you can play of this exact style that already have an enormous amount of content.

"More coming soon!" only works as a draw for games that are a) the first in a genre or b) single player.

What other scifi power-based shooters with flight are there? Warframe is VERY MUCH not it; that's a musou bar-filling simulator with guns. (And I mean I love it, but I'm just saying.)

• Options

What other scifi power-based shooters with flight are there? Warframe is VERY MUCH not it; that's a musou bar-filling simulator with guns. (And I mean I love it, but I'm just saying.)

I doubt there are enough people who want that incredibly specific subgenre to support a game with EA money behind it :P

The game's light on release content post-story. There's no real getting around that. More coming soon is great, but this exact thing nearly killed Destiny 2 and that had the momentum of Destiny 1 behind it. You cannot launch a Live Services game without stuff for people to do, you just can't.

• Options
    LilleDjevelLilleDjevel Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Out of curiosity, when y'all are hitting 30 and selecting "Hard", are your javelins at the recommended rarity level? (I've got 2 hours of trial left, I'm not getting close by Friday, so like I know?)

I'm level 25 atm @300+++ gearscore, and the hard mode stronghold is more than doable now.

The main problem is people unlocking it and instantly jumping into hard, it's pretty normal to be 1 or 2 people at 300+ and then 2 or 3 at level 10 with sub 120 score.
    As you might imagine they die... a lot....

For me atm, 1 or 2 shots with the right weps (devestator, railgun etc) will kill a turret if you hit it in the weakspot. And the main problem are the legendarys with autocannons. Cause man they WILL kill you.

Um, no. They have plenty of weakspot openings... The main one is their back, which is easiest to hit if you have a meatshield.
    If not you just camp around behind cover and shred his arms everytime they glow, and nuke his adds with your abilitys for ammo/hp.

The hard part isn't do dmg, it's not getting hit by aoes that ignore cover! ;)

LilleDjevel on
    Grass Grows,
    Birds Fly,
    'til there's Fire in the Sky...

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    watching Datto and pals scum the first chest in one of the strongholds and resetting over and over again is just kinda sad to watch.

PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • Options
    watching Datto and pals scum the first chest in one of the strongholds and resetting over and over again is just kinda sad to watch.

People still haven't learned from 2012 Diablo 3 somehow.

• Options

I'm level 25 atm @300+++ gearscore, and the hard mode stronghold is more than doable now.

The main problem is people unlocking it and instantly jumping into hard, it's pretty normal to be 1 or 2 people at 300+ and then 2 or 3 at level 10 with sub 120 score.
    As you might imagine they die... a lot....

For me atm, 1 or 2 shots with the right weps (devestator, railgun etc) will kill a turret if you hit it in the weakspot. And the main problem are the legendarys with autocannons. Cause man they WILL kill you.

Um, no. They have plenty of weakspot openings... The main one is their back, which is easiest to hit if you have a meatshield.
    If not you just camp around behind cover and shred his arms everytime they glow, and nuke his adds with your abilitys for ammo/hp.

The hard part isn't do dmg, it's not getting hit by aoes that ignore cover! ;)

I'm just gonna short circuit the whole discussion here:

Does your boss have limited vulnerability phases? Is it a weekly raid boss that gives very strong rewards? If no, you fucked up, start over.

I'm 30. I'm out of patience for games that want me to spend my time staring at some rando monster for it to become vulnerable to attack.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular

I doubt there are enough people who want that incredibly specific subgenre to support a game with EA money behind it :P

The game's light on release content post-story. There's no real getting around that. More coming soon is great, but this exact thing nearly killed Destiny 2 and that had the momentum of Destiny 1 behind it. You cannot launch a Live Services game without stuff for people to do, you just can't.

I think "let's be Iron Man!" Is an incredibly attractive genre

• Options
    Fencingsax wrote: »

I think "let's be Iron Man!" Is an incredibly attractive genre

No yeah it's super dang fun. But is running the same 3 dungeons over and over going to hold people on that premise?

I think the game will sell copies. I'm not sure it'll retain folks.

• Options
    KyanilisKyanilis Bellevue, WARegistered User regular

Destiny and Destiny 2 would like to have a word with you.

This is literally how the "game as a service" model works. Unfortunately, if your marker for release is "release with as much content as a game that has been out for years" then you'll just never release your game. You gotta start somewhere. You release your game when it's ready and you think it provides a somewhat unique enough experience, which I think Anthem does. Some would argue it probably could have sat for another year and released with even more content, and sure, they probably could have, but I think the campaign was complete, it had a beginning, a middle, and an end with hooks for future content. There's plenty of side quests, which I'm still working through. When all is said and done I'll have about 40-50 hours of time BEFORE I start any grinding.

I've absolutely spent $60 on games I've gotten less time out of. Why is the standard here that it has to have 200 hours of content before it starts the live service? That's what I don't understand.

And yeah, the game has some issues, the UI is a mess. But if they've been looking at that same UI for the last few years and didn't think "oh man this UI just isn't all that great" I guarantee sitting on the game for any amount of time wouldn't have fixed that. But now that it's in the hands of however many people and there's constructive feedback coming in? I guarantee we'll see some improvements. It's functional now, it's just not good. I think there's a hundred fixes they need to make, and soon, to keep people playing it. Good news is they've been receptive to that! But judging from my own playtime and the list of people I have on Origin who I've also seen put a good chunk of their weekend into the game? I feel like it's as good as any other game of this type on launch.

• Options
    Kyanilis wrote: »

Destiny and Destiny 2 would like to have a word with you.

Two games that famously had to get back on good terms with playerbases that had abandoned the game after a content-poor launch (I should know, I was there for the full lifecycle of both games to date).

• Options
    soylenthsoylenth Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited February 2019
    I'm not sure using streamers as the measuring stick for how quickly people should run out of stuff to do has been great for gaming. to whatever degree they get catered to it's bad for the rest of us. Their needs (to deliver content in the terms of many hours a day of playing), not to mention time constraints, are very different from the rest of us.

Also: I'm going to be bummed if the hype train runs out of steam before I even get to play.

soylenth on
  • Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    Perfect end to the perfect conversation
    XvCLnL5l.png

Bless your heart.
This discussion has been closed.