Options

[MCU] Far From Home Is Close At Hand (Endgame Spoilers All Up Ins)

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited May 2019
    I love that the story he regretted not finishing (while he was fired) was Rocket, and not the typical hero/heroine in Starlord and Gamora.

He got to do that in Infinity War. He was heavily involved with the Guardians parts, from what I understand

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Great interview. I wish we could all be so self-aware and accountable.

I will give him that much.

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Before reading that interview I hadn't realize that James Gunn wrote the script for Zack Snyder's Dawn of the Dead remake.

Zack Snyder's movies tend to pretty bad, mediocre at best. He's got great visual style, but that's about it. I've never particularly cared for any of his movies. Except for the Dawn of the Dead which I always thought was great, and that's been confusing the heck out of me for a long time now. Why is it that this one movie of his is so good when the rest of them are so bad?

And to think that all this time I could've figured it all out just by paying a little more attention to the credits.

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    I love that the story he regretted not finishing (while he was fired) was Rocket, and not the typical hero/heroine in Starlord and Gamora.

He got to do that in Infinity War. He was heavily involved with the Guardians parts, from what I understand

I thought the whole kerfuffle happened months after they finished shooting IW?

EDIT: yeah, they wrapped shooting up in january 2018, and the firing was in july

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Spoit wrote: »

EDIT: yeah, they wrapped shooting up in january 2018, and the firing was in july

Yeah, my point was that he was, in fact, able to do the stereotypical hero/heroine stuff.

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Spoit wrote: »

Yeah, my point was that he was, in fact, able to do the stereotypical hero/heroine stuff.

Ah, I thought you were saying that he was able to do [the rocket stuff he regretted not finishing] in IW

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    In my head she's telling Brie how hard Captain Marvel would punch an old lady in the face.

Well that explains it. Capt Marvel is such a Kelly Sue.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Far From Home spoiler clip:

Yes! I was worried that MJ wouldn't be able to add 'Spider-Man appears everywhere we go' and 'Peter vanishes every time Spider-Man appears'.
    This just leaves Flash as the only apparently smart person who really should be able to figure it out.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    klemming wrote: »

Yes! I was worried that MJ wouldn't be able to add 'Spider-Man appears everywhere we go' and 'Peter vanishes every time Spider-Man appears'.
    This just leaves Flash as the only apparently smart person who really should be able to figure it out.

Spider-Man Clip Spoiler Talk:
    Should be able to, but character wise, of course Flash would never in a thousand years be able to even consider the possibility that Peter is Spider-Man.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Mvrck wrote: »

Should be able to, but character wise, of course Flash would never in a thousand years be able to even consider the possibility that Peter is Spider-Man.
    It'd be funny if flash already figured it out, but is deluded enough to think he's the only one and so he continues to treat Peter like shit to help maintain his cover,
    but he still feels obligated to constantly praise Spider-Man around Peter

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular

This reminded me of a good bit in Ms.Marvel's comic
    Kamala reveals her identity as Ms.Marvel to all of her friends, every single friend is basically "Ya I know, I was just waiting for you to finally tell me, took you long enough"

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    Mvrck wrote: »

It'd be funny if flash already figured it out, but is deluded enough to think he's the only one and so he continues to treat Peter like shit to help maintain his cover,
    but he still feels obligated to constantly praise Spider-Man around Peter
    So basically Kong from Ultimate Spider-Man

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    Captain Ironsides Captain Ironsides Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    I haven't seen it posted anywhere else, so I'll just leave this here: https://images.app.goo.gl/Bfg7cDmm36bGtzQs6

Captain Ironsides on
    zpv0bcg8hta5.jpg
  • Options
    lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    More Spider-Man: Far From Home spoilers. This time it's from the toys.

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    So, confirming what everyone who's at all familiar with Spider-Man already knew.

• Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    edited May 2019
    How do people feel about Captain Marvel in this thread. A lot of folks I talk to about MCU think it’s one of the worst of the bunch but I really like it. It has a great message for everyone and especially women and girls, which is that, at the end of the day, we have nothing to prove to anyone else.

Also I’m not sure how I could not like CM
    trashing an entire kree fleet by herself, and then (Endgame spoiler)
    single-handedly destroying Thanos’s ship.

GoodKingJayIII on
    Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    How do people feel about Captain Marvel in this thread. A lot of folks I talk to about MCU think it’s one of the worst of the bunch but I really like it. It has a great message for everyone and especially women and girls, which is that, at the end of the day, we have nothing to prove to anyone else.

I liked Captain Marvel a lot, yeah.

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    It feels a little time shifted. It would have been a great Phase 1 movie. For the end of the big arc phase we're currently wrapping up it felt a little under connected. That feels like a consequence of the fact that we're going to be entering a rebuilding phase and will see a few more movies like this.

That's compounded by the arc not being super obvious. The climax of the film is Carol's conflict with the Supreme Intelligence and a lot of folks miss that. Of course the rest of the film feels kinda low stakes, it is low stakes now that Carol understands just how strong she is.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    I liked Captain Marvel a lot more than I expected to. The arc being more about her discovering her enormous power was good and, though vague and depoliticized, had at least the flavour of feminism. The dialogue and chemistry with SLJ was strong, and her affable cockiness was really charming and fresh. Action scenes were decent to good, though one was too dark and the big CG battle at the end was pretty floaty.

But I felt the climax, her confrontation with the SI, was weak. It was a sort of typical "believe in yourself" generic moment. They they were very excited about the (quite affecting) sequence of her getting up after being knocked down throughout her life, but it was empty of meaning. There was a disconnected "only human" line, which didn't attach to any of the themes in the film and in fact clashed with some of them (her humanity has nothing to do with what makes her so powerful; she is basically a cosmic god, having transcended most mortal beings by far), and then they had the traditional, cheesy beam vs beam contest, which is always disappointing.

To make that scene land, I think they needed to focus more on the idea that her enormous, incalculable power is restrained not by the inhibitor but by their manipulation and conditioning. I was really interested in this angle because, again, it seemed to connect to a feminist position on how emotion is villified, that women who are "too emotional" need to control themselves and be controlled, that women's emotions are a threat to power if they're accepted as valid, etc. Instead the framing made it seem like her victory was just a triumph of pure will, because 1) the Intelligence's manipulation was pretty crude and obvious, which didn't give much purchase for a thematic resistance of its influence, and 2) her ability to resist wasn't grounded in anything aside from her will, and they didn't linger on possible alternatives. It came off as cheesy rather than profoundly triumphant; I was more moved by her friend's speech.

• Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    I thought the scene between her and Jude Law where he tries to goad her into fighting sans powers and she just knocks him across the fucking field was pretty effective. I mean yeah the message is generic but we’ve rarely seen it from the perspective of a woman, and never seen it in the MCU.

The kree spend the whole movie telling her what she can’t do, just like when she was growing up people told her what she can’t do and she fucking did it anyway to prove them wrong. But the message is that proving people wrong is worthless because they will still doubt you or at least ignore you. When she knocks the piss out of her handler it’s the culmination of the take charge of self moment. She answers to no one but herself, despite the hardships of being a woman and a kree outsider. The only person who decides what she can and can’t do is herself.

Like I said I think that’s a critical message for young women and girls, because it hasn’t been wrapped in the trappings of this pop culture juggernaut until now.

• Options
    The weird thing about Captain Marvel is that it's basically a prequel for the Avengers and Phase 1 (aside from First Avenger.) but it came out right before the big finale of the last ten years.

• Options
    I also think it’s weird that CM was largely sidelined in Endgame. If hers is the penultimate film before the end of the core Avengers, I think she warranted a bit more screen time. Especially because of her friendship with Fury.

• Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    Captain Marvel understood something a lot of prequels don't: just because a movie is largely tensionless doesn't mean it can't be entertaining.

• Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    I liked CM. That said, I feel the movie should have shown us more of the heroic Kree and Carol's friendship/mentoring with Jude Law. That would have made the twist a lot more surprising and gut-punchy.

I do look forward to seeing what they do with her next. She can literally punch a war fleet into dust, and I'm sure MCU writers are smart enough to avoid a Superman-style power-creep, so I hope we get some interesting movies where where she faces problems that need more than just stronger punching to be solved.

sig.gif
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular

I work with a guy who considers himself ‘politically incorrect’. He didn’t like Black Panther much because it was ‘just catering to black people’ (he’s pretty openly racist), so I was expecting the same reaction to Captain Marvel and catering to women. He didn’t disappoint. I was expecting it because he ranted about Brie Larson in Kong (‘the woman in King Kong is supposed to be beautiful’).

Every other person I’ve asked about the film enjoyed it, even if some thought it wasn’t as strong a movie as it’s message.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Wait he's racist, sexist, and also somehow thinks Brie Larson is not beautiful?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular

That's the part that's shocking to you? I had no idea Larson was the woman in Kong.

sig.gif
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Richy wrote: »

That's the part that's shocking to you? I had no idea Larson was the woman in Kong.

Oh i didn't either but I'm rarely shocked to find out I didn't know something.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular

I’ve given up trying to navigate his mental gymnastics.

• Options
    Wait, which Kong are we talking about?

• Options
    Kong: Skull Island, which ditches the "we're making a film" plot in exchange for "We're explorers looking for cryptids"

Larson plays a photographer.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular

Yes because she's shown a propensity for not dealing with your (royal "your") shit so automatically that'll knock her down a few pegs.

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Shadowen wrote: »
    Captain Marvel understood something a lot of prequels don't: just because a movie is largely tensionless doesn't mean it can't be entertaining.

Maybe it was tensionless to people who read the comics, but to me who never read any of the comics there was tension all the way up until she went full Super Saiyan and showed nope, she can fuck EVERYBODY's shit up.

But yeah, still entertaining as hell.

I do wish they were a little less "CHECK IT OUT IT'S THE 90S!" and just let it be the 90s.

I do wish I'd seen it a second time in theaters. Guess I'll have to buy it when it comes out and see it again.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    The best thing they could've done for the Captain Marvel film was release it back with the other Phase 1 films it should've been with, yeah; then had Danvers popping up now and again, either by name or appearance, in the following years of the MCU (along with her own films). They clearly have her working against the Kree for her future films, which would've been excellent to have when the GotG stuff started rolling; instead of the Kree being blue bad people or something, we could've known by then, via the Captain Marvel films, just why it's a big deal the Kree suddenly agreed to peace. And her being occupied with the Kree would've also helped explain why she's not around to help with big Earth-, Asgard-, or galaxy-shattering problems elsewhere.

It's just a dang shame that her intro movie took place years after the MCU moved away from intro movies, because it makes it sort of stick out in comparison to the likes of Spider-Man and Black Panther where the movie can just get moving instead of burning a ton of time on origin stories. Danvers with some MCU time would've been even better when she
    made her appearance in the final fight in Endgame and had nothing more than a disapproving look to say about Thanos headbutting her.
    That stuff was still awesome and I'm glad we got to have her there for that, but it would've been so much better if we'd had Danvers around for a film or two first, integrated with other MCU material.

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    I think Captain marvel as a phase one film would have been a huge risk! I don't think it fits well earlier in the movie release sequences... it's believable because it comes when it does, after all the world building is effectively complete.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Yeah, there's no way it would've ever actually been a phase one film, because they were definitely still feeling things out back then. They had absolutely not yet committed to the massive-scale interconnection between the different heroes, and Iron Man was still considered a "less known" hero to experiment with; in that regard, Danvers would've been virtually unheard of by most people and likely wouldn't even have realized Marvel has a Captain Marvel.

But in terms of the feel of the film, it would've fit right in for Phase One where the films were pretty mono-focused on their own characters.

At the very very least, I do wish we'd gotten at least one other film in her franchise in before Infinity War. We spend a ton of the Captain Marvel film just waiting to find out who Danvers is, and a second film where she got to really flesh out the character the whole time would've been great.

• Options
    TarantioTarantio Registered User regular
    I think it would have been more difficult to make a movie where one of the main characters needs to look ~16 years younger in 2011, than it was to make a movie where one of the main characters needs to look 24 years younger in 2019.

• Options
    spool32 wrote: »
    I think Captain marvel as a phase one film would have been a huge risk! I don't think it fits well earlier in the movie release sequences... it's believable because it comes when it does, after all the world building is effectively complete.

That's been the general wisdom but it turns out movies starring women sell. (Star wars, WW). I think they could have done it. Iron man was kind of a b list character until 2007.

• Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »

That's been the general wisdom but it turns out movies starring women sell. (Star wars, WW). I think they could have done it. Iron man was kind of a b list character until 2007.

Nah, Iron man was D-list at best. That is the secret of the MCU, it took a bunch of characters that nobody though would make great solo movies and then proved everybody wrong.

Every character in the original Avengers except Hulk was a non-entity in the wider world before the MCU. Now they are A-list.

The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    The current MCU is the result of Marvel mortgaging everything they had to make a movie about one of the few bigish* name characters they still had rights to starring an actor that nobody would insure.

*And as others have noted, he wasn't that big a name.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
This discussion has been closed.