As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Washington]🦀Tim Eyman fined $2.6M, banned from directing political cmte finances🦀

1919293949597»

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    The other issue is that when enough money is thrown at you (and the number varies per person), what's a piece of your soul worth?

• Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Orca wrote: »
    The other issue is that when enough money is thrown at you (and the number varies per person), what's a piece of your soul worth?

I wouldn't paint all of tech with that brush.

However, it is definitely an issue that somewhat Amazon, but especially Facebook is running into. There are enough opportunities that yield 90% the same pay elsewhere, so why even bother with all the ethical compromises you'd need to make to work there?

What happened is that they just replace the person who passed on the job or quit with someone on a H1B visa who understandably cares much much more about keeping their job than broader questions about what the right thing to do is.

This is all anecdotal, but I've heard the same thing from multiple people, especially about Facebook.

• Options
    Doc wrote: »

I wouldn't paint all of tech with that brush.

However, it is definitely an issue that somewhat Amazon, but especially Facebook is running into. There are enough opportunities that yield 90% the same pay elsewhere, so why even bother with all the ethical compromises you'd need to make to work there?

What happened is that they just replace the person who passed on the job or quit with someone on a H1B visa who understandably cares much much more about keeping their job than broader questions about what the right thing to do is.

This is all anecdotal, but I've heard the same thing from multiple people, especially about Facebook.

Much of the public side of tech is based on ads, and frankly, yes, I would paint all of ad-supported tech with that brush.

I would also do the same for those working on automation, but at least you can make an argument for it.

Military contractors it's very obvious what you're doing.

If you're writing code for traffic lights that's one thing, but at best I've worked on consumer electronics which are merely a waste of resources (albeit cool).

Facebook is just publicly worse than most right now. But they're not alone.

• Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I mean, I guess you can. I just said I wouldn't.

• Options
    *shrug*

I passed over that job working on traffic lights to chase the bigger dollars.

I know where that chunk of my soul went, and I found out the dollar amount was less than I would have thought when I was younger. No it's not Facebook, but all of these big companies are frankly evil in aggregate. The main difference is in degree.

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    *shrug*

I know where that chunk of my soul went, and I found out the dollar amount was less than I would have thought when I was younger. No it's not Facebook, but all of these big companies are frankly evil in aggregate. The main difference is in degree.

Yeah, it's one thing to say "don't work at Facebook." But all the big tech companies, and most of the smaller ones, have morally dark aspects.

There aren't all that many "clean" tech jobs in WA state

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    kime wrote: »
    *shrug*

Yeah, it's one thing to say "don't work at Facebook." But all the big tech companies, and most of the smaller ones, have morally dark aspects.

There aren't all that many "clean" tech jobs in WA state

I own a stupid amount of Microsoft stock, and I got my Voting Recommendations for all the board positions and issues before the shareholders. It’s really rather telling.

Regarding the people nominated for board positions, recommend voting FOR
    Regarding executive compensation and employee stock purchasing, recommend voting FOR
    Publish Report on median pay gaps RE races and gender, recommend voting AGAINST
    Report on sexual harassment policy effectiveness, AGAINST
    Prohibition on sales of facial recognition software to governments, AGAINST
    Report of Fair Business Pledge, AGAINST
    Reports on Lobbying, AGAINST

• Options
    nusunusu Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Not politics, unless you dig into climate change/etc.

Hey, I live in WA to avoid tornadoes, not get warned about them.

That was a fun 30 minutes of hiding down on the first floor of the house because who has storm shelters/basements in WA?

nusu on
  • Options
    MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    And that doesn't mean the storm won't be severe still, it's just not severe enough to be classified as a tornado any longer.

Hooray!

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    AimAim Registered User regular
    It's interesting, i never got a notification.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Aim wrote: »

Man imagine finding out the state gov hates you like this. Whew.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    Aim wrote: »

Man imagine finding out the state gov hates you like this. Whew.

Maybe this is the state's way of telling him he is mighty and has no need to fear petty things like an ambitious breeze.

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    WA is issuing QR codes that one can use as proof of vaccination. Just need to request one here.

This discussion has been closed.