Options

[Nintendo Switch] THIS THREAD IS DEAD. POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited April 2019
    In bulk, a 50GB blu ray costs quite a bit less than 1.25 to press.

There is no way 32GB of flash good enough to run the game off of comes anywhere near that, even in bulk.

edit: looks like you can buy 32gb in bulk, not counting cart manufacturing/plastics/label printing for ~4-5 bucks a pop if you are one of the big players. That is a significant difference in cost when you consider transport, retail margins, license fees, etc.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited April 2019
    Dirty wrote: »
    I just think that if you're not gonna pay for a cart big enough to hold your game, but still want a retail presence, your only option should be POSA cards.

Dunno if I agree with that either.

For people worried about a bandwidth cap, a 4-6GB download is vastly preferable to a 20GB download.

edit: of course, my dream for how we can do stuff during a period where games are getting bigger and bandwidth caps are getting crazy would be the ability to buy digital games from a kiosk that can be encrypted and loaded onto an external flash drive for installation to your switch, xbox, etc. The kiosk downloads the most up to date version of the game, patches, DLC, etc. and the parent company (microsoft, sony, nintendo, valve) could rent space inside best buys, wal marts, etc. for people to show up and purchase / download content.

edit: and those stores can sell the related accessories for this model; console hardware, compatible flash drives, controllers, so on and so forth.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    Should we bring back the Nintendo Famicom disk system and have kiosks at stores that will download digital games to your Switch for you?

I mean, yeah, 4-6GB download is better, but then you still have the inconvenience of swapping the cart in when you want to play, and the inconvenience that if you delete it to save space and then want to play later, you have to redownload. Or knowing that in 10 years when the servers are offline that game is useless, despite being on a cart. I guess we're just rehashing the same arguments for the past two years over and over, but I would also hope that in two years, and with the number of Switch games released, the prices have gotten better?

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Thing is, 32GB carts may be cheap in bulk, but even a minor price difference from Blu-ray becomes very noticeable when you're selling hundreds of thousands or even millions of the things.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    We shouldn't have bandwidth concerns. If telecoms would stop being greedy, comically-villain shithouses, this wouldn't even be a conversation.

10,000% markup on a GB of data should not be a thing.

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    Should we bring back the Nintendo Famicom disk system and have kiosks at stores that will download digital games to your Switch for you?

Oh boy, they used to do this with Atari cartridges back in the day too(Xante). I really don't want to think about how expensive some of the initially less popular, kiosk-onky Switch releases would end up being years down the line.

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Figgy wrote: »
    We shouldn't have bandwidth concerns. If telecoms would stop being greedy, comically-villain shithouses, this wouldn't even be a conversation.

But somebody might use up all the data!!!

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    In the case of empty cases, forcing those releases to be POSA cards cuts down on a lot of plastic waste. There's no good reason for those cases to exist.

In the case of these cartridge/download hybrids, you get all of the downsides of physical along with all the downsides of digital. A cartridge that becomes useless when the servers close? Fuck that.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    In the case of empty cases, forcing those releases to be POSA cards cuts down on a lot of plastic waste. There's no good reason for those cases to exist.

In the case of these cartridge/download hybrids, you get all of the downsides of physical along with all the downsides of digital. A cartridge that becomes useless when the servers close? Fuck that.

The "good news" is that those plastic cases were probably already made anyways. So the only thing being created to order are the paper inserts.

That said... yeah. I'm sure if somebody sat down and did the math, it would turn out that because those cases were already made, the actual environmental impact is zero. It's still a bad optic, especially these days. "Here's a literally empty and worthless piece of plastic garbage.".

It seems like Nintendo is the only one who actually uses the POSA cards, because it's only their games I've ever seen with that option.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    I live in an apartment, I don't have any acres to dig a cellar for empty plastic garbage.

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular

The "good news" is that those plastic cases were probably already made anyways. So the only thing being created to order are the paper inserts.

That said... yeah. I'm sure if somebody sat down and did the math, it would turn out that because those cases were already made, the actual environmental impact is zero. It's still a bad optic, especially these days. "Here's a literally empty and worthless piece of plastic garbage.".

It seems like Nintendo is the only one who actually uses the POSA cards, because it's only their games I've ever seen with that option.

But... they would just use those cases for a different game, yes?

• Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited April 2019
    3125C3D8-2C75-4EE1-8DC5-1B1224001176.jpeg

Solution

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    ok...those are pretty awesome. I want them.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    I've been looking at buying Aragami on my Switch. I've watched/read some online reviews for that game and it sounds pretty good. But one guy who specifically reviewed the Switch version of the game mentioned that shadows don't always load in due to draw distances, which makes shadow-teleporting difficult. Did they ever patch that or add any sort of post-launch improvements to the game?

• Options

I've seen EA, 2K, Capcom, and a bunch of indies.

• Options
    edited April 2019
    Figgy wrote: »

I don't disagree, but that is way outside the scope of what nintendo can solve. So what can we do for now to make a digital marketplace functional for everyone, and I think the answer is having centralized local repos where people can buy, download, etc.

Games are becoming 100GB or more; for many the act of driving/taking a bus to best buy, installing the game to a flash card, bringing it home, and installing it will be 8+ hours faster than downloading from home, if it is even possible. And it drastically reduces ecological waste.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    ok...those are pretty awesome. I want them.

In a perfect world they would be My Nintendo rewards.

Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    I don't want to quest for maps to the eight shards to buy a game.

• Options
    nusunusu Registered User regular
    edited April 2019

I've seen EA, 2K, Capcom, and a bunch of indies.

Bandai Namco uses them too, at least for Dragonball Fighterz and the season pass. I picked up Dead Cells and Hollow Knight at Target with those cards, they have quite a selection.

nusu on
  • Options
    GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    Started West of Loathing on the Switch last weekend and really spent more time with it this weekend. What an absolutely perfect console for this type of experience. Holy shit.

PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842
  • Options
    KasynKasyn I'm not saying I don't like our chances. She called me the master.Registered User regular
    GMaster7 wrote: »
    Started West of Loathing on the Switch last weekend and really spent more time with it this weekend. What an absolutely perfect console for this type of experience. Holy shit.

I find myself saying this about nearly everything I use my Switch for.

It's just the best console.

• Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    Crafted World is the second best Yoshi game and is also the most adorable thing ever. :heartbeat:

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    borschevskyborschevsky Registered User regular
    Another Tetris event this weekend, with a different scoring system that awards points all the way down to 80th place.

• Options
    TDawgTDawg Registered User regular
    TDawg wrote: »
    Doesn't Fortnight do that as well, no physical media in the boxes?

Fortnite is online only (in terms of the only mode people care about), so a "physical copy" is a meaningless concept to begin with.

I mean, some people like to have cartridges for a variety of reasons. Maybe they don't want to invest in extra SD cards for their switch. Maybe they just like having cartridges. Maybe they and their family members have multiples switches but like to share games.
    edzepp wrote: »
    I feel like if you're gonna do that then just make it digital, y'know? Save money on a box and all. You go digital-only people would be upset as well, but this 'empty box with paper inside' always feels a bit dishonest.

And you can't resell it of course.

Even though it is of diminishing relevance, having a physical presence in actual stores is still a valuable thing.

Having a physical cartridge would be meaningless because the game gets constant, LARGE updates. What would the cartridge have it on it exactly? It's like having a CD for WoW.

Ah, fair. I didn't stop and think "Fortnite..."

Another Tetris event this weekend, with a different scoring system that awards points all the way down to 80th place.

Oh, I can actually maybe compete in this one!

Though to be fair, I consider myself pretty crummy at Tetris, and I've gotten 2nd twice.

NNID: ohnoTom || 3DS: 1762-3198-2019 || Steam || Take My Good Pokemon
    Let's Plays of Japanese Games
  • Options
    plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    Oops wrong thread

plufim on
    3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    Well. I caved and bought Outrun on sale. I do not regret this.

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    ...Oh crap King of Cards drops today? I completely forgot about that.

EDIT: Oh wait, it got delayed. I forgot about that.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    edited April 2019
    So not really a shocker but WB opted to use an 8GB card for Mortal Kombat 11. The game is 6.54GB with a 15.9GB day-one update.

https://gonintendo.com/stories/332710-mortal-kombat-11-is-6-54gb-with-a-15-9gb-day-one-update

skeldare on
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    Day 1 updates are why I don't buy physical. There's basically no point. It isn't quite so bad on Switch, especially on first party titles, but there have been games on xbone and PS4 where the day 1 update was almost as big as the installed game from the disc.

If you're having to download an update that's as big as the game itself, might as well buy digital anyway.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    NamrokNamrok Registered User regular
    wunderbar wrote: »
    Day 1 updates are why I don't buy physical. There's basically no point. It isn't quite so bad on Switch, especially on first party titles, but there have been games on xbone and PS4 where the day 1 update was almost as big as the installed game from the disc.

If you're having to download an update that's as big as the game itself, might as well buy digital anyway.

Honestly it's enough for me to not bother getting MK11 in the first place. I was tempted. I've heard so much good buzz around it. But as it happens my storage space is more valuable to me than actual cash. So while I'm willing to spend the money on it, I'm not willing to spend the space. Cart or bust.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular

Yeah telecoms aren't moving fast enough to keep up with this digital era. Especially with caps and whatnot. I can't imagine what the next gen consoles are going to do. Pure 4K out of the box? That's going to make games huge and it'll take us weeks to download and play them.

• Options
    infernalsummerinfernalsummer Registered User regular
    I really thoroughly enjoyed Baba Is You's Forest of Fall levels. I found an alternate solution for Dead End to the ones I found listed on hint sites.

"there's no way this is how you're supposed to do this.. right.. so this is not at all how you do this, but it works"
    ferusjuitba6.jpg

At this point i could move all the flags at once and made "not me on flag is win" which won the game..

• Options

Day 1 patches don't bother me because I was gonna have to download something and the patches are still usually smaller than the full game (I know there are exceptions).

My problem is this isn't really just a day 1 patch, but all the game they can't fit on the cart because they're being cheap.

• Options
    edzeppedzepp Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INbLPVpMmXw

The marketing of the Switch version of MK11 has been so weird. OK, so the millisecond of footage they show is part of the character intros, That said, even from that angle it seems like a noticeable downgrade from what the higher-end versions offer (the lighting looks flatter and the characters seem less detailed).

Thing is, that doesn't look bad at all, and impressions from PAX were uniformly good so I really don't know why they're so worried about showing anything Switch-related.

edzepp on
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular

The marketing of the Switch version of MK11 has been so weird. OK, so the millisecond of footage they show is part of the character intros, That said, even from that angle it seems like a noticeable downgrade from what the higher-end versions offer (the lighting looks flatter and the characters seem less detailed).

Thing is, that doesn't look bad at all, and impressions from PAX were uniformly good so I really don't know why they're so worried about showing anything Switch-related.

By not showing the Switch gameplay, NetherRealms Studio cheated not only the consumer, but themselves.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    edzeppedzepp Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »

By not showing the Switch gameplay, NetherRealms Studio cheated not only the consumer, but themselves.

Good one.

I know not to trust in trailers, but that really does look like Switch-level gameplay to me. It does look worse, but it looks good enough. Why not show it?

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »

Good one.

I know not to trust in trailers, but that really does look like Switch-level gameplay to me. It does look worse, but it looks good enough. Why not show it?

Commercials traditionally show cutscenes and CG stuff over actual gameplay. It’s all about getting the sale and showing in-game stuff doesn’t excite as much a Madden camera perspective trailers. If they could get away with showing off the fatalities in the trailer, they absolutely would.

And knowing the Switch version will be graphically inferior, they chose to go with the tried-and-true Nintendo hook of having attractive and hip people playing their Switch in non-home locations. Reminds me of the original ARMS trailer without the goofy appeal.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    OBJECTION!

What do you have to say about... THIS?

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    You guys... Romancing Saga 2 is up on the eShop and I can thoroughly recommend it to people looking for a new take on an old school genre. It's got it's claws in me deep. I've probably put in 100 hours at this point and I just started another New Game+.

• Options
    NamrokNamrok Registered User regular
    Taramoor wrote: »
    OBJECTION!

What do you have to say about... THIS?

I watched a review of it today, and something about the HD art turns me off. Looks too much like someone took an MSPaint fill tool or a really sloppy upscaler to the original GBA/DS pixel art. Just some really weird dissonance where the artwork is a much higher resolution, but the level of detail is unchanged making it look really sloppy.