As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Transportation in 2019

jayh0vajayh0va Registered User regular
edited March 2019 in PAX East
For those noobs or those that need a reminder, parking around the BCEC is crazy expensive. Last year I followed this tip and will be heading to Channel Center again. No In/Out, but affordable, clean, shuttle available and not the worst walk in the world should you need to.
ScoJoMo wrote: »
starNOstar wrote: »
Anyone who has stayed at the Element or Aloft and drove in, have you had any problems with parking? I see they use a public lot with "limited spots allocated to the hotel" as in not guaranteed. That worries me a bit

The past couple of years, we've used Spot Hero and parked at nearby garages for the duration. This year it looks like The Channel Center garage (which we've used the past couple years, and is about 3/4 of a mile from the Element) is $73 for Wednesday thru Sunday. If it's your first time using it, you can find coupon codes online for 15% off. One thing to consider though, if you go that route, there's no "in and out" privileges. So, if you need your car at some point during the convention, that's probably not the best choice for you.

You can easily reserve with SpotHero and there are a few discount codes available for new users (MAR10SH).

npyymaqh3gup.png
jayh0va on

• MephistoN7MephistoN7 Sexual Tyrannosaurus Keene, NHRegistered User regular
    Love it! Any help like this is always the best kind. :biggrin:

As someone who drives into Alewife and just takes the Red Line in to South Station, I'd like to offer something for fellow Alewife-ians:

The MBTA setup a Twitter account @MBTA_parking that gives updates every 30 minutes on available parking at several of their more popular parking garages/lots. As someone who was almost frozen out of staying there last year due to max capacity (I had to wait 20 minutes for someone to leave to be let in), this is a boon to have. And since I'm sure I'm not the only one, I thought I'd leave it here.

For the curious, leaving your vehicle at Alewife from Wed to Mon is $46.

erdub14zr3u2.png

• ScoJoMoScoJoMo Registered User regular
    jayh0va wrote: »
    For those noobs or those that need a reminder, parking around the BCEC is crazy expensive. Last year I followed this tip and will be heading to Channel Center again. No In/Out, but affordable, clean, shuttle available and not the worst walk in the world should you need to.
    ScoJoMo wrote: »
    starNOstar wrote: »
    Anyone who has stayed at the Element or Aloft and drove in, have you had any problems with parking? I see they use a public lot with "limited spots allocated to the hotel" as in not guaranteed. That worries me a bit

The past couple of years, we've used Spot Hero and parked at nearby garages for the duration. This year it looks like The Channel Center garage (which we've used the past couple years, and is about 3/4 of a mile from the Element) is $73 for Wednesday thru Sunday. If it's your first time using it, you can find coupon codes online for 15% off. One thing to consider though, if you go that route, there's no "in and out" privileges. So, if you need your car at some point during the convention, that's probably not the best choice for you.

You can easily reserve with SpotHero and there are a few discount codes available for new users (MAR10SH).

Using it again this year. Still $73, Weds-Sun.

• yutani sanyutani san MaineRegistered User regular
    MephistoN7 wrote: »
    Love it! Any help like this is always the best kind. :biggrin:

As someone who drives into Alewife and just takes the Red Line in to South Station, I'd like to offer something for fellow Alewife-ians:

The MBTA setup a Twitter account @MBTA_parking that gives updates every 30 minutes on available parking at several of their more popular parking garages/lots. As someone who was almost frozen out of staying there last year due to max capacity (I had to wait 20 minutes for someone to leave to be let in), this is a boon to have. And since I'm sure I'm not the only one, I thought I'd leave it here.

For the curious, leaving your vehicle at Alewife from Wed to Mon is $46.

This is actually what I planned on doing this year! Glad to hear the price confirmed for parking. Is is somewhat easy to drive to? Google maps makes it looks easy, but Im pretty nervous to drive to Boston even if its the outskirts.

I didn't want to take the train this year, and be tied to those times. Id rather drive and arrive and leave when I want. Just curious, anything I should know about leaving my car at Alewife, do I have to do anything to stay overnight or just pay when I leave?

Also, is the subway system easy to use? Ive only ever used to green line in Boston, somehow lol. So no idea which train to take to which stops. Will be traveling with a suitcase and a dog so trying to get an idea where I need to go. Staying at the Element so want to drop off my luggage when I arrive.

• MaawdawgMaawdawg CT, USARegistered User regular
    edited March 2019
    For reference, parking directly behind the BCEC in is $18 a day (single entry) so it will cost me $90 for Weds-Sun to park basically on site. They have shuttles but I just walk from the lot. They do not allow overnight parking so it isn't a viable option for people who need to dump off their car for the weekend but I have found it to be the best option for commuting in and out daily the past couple years. I enjoy having the option of walking out to my car to unload stuff that I get, to have a portable game library in my trunk, and/or just to be able to go out and decompress and listen to some music for a bit if needed.

Maawdawg on
    yutani san wrote: »
    This is actually what I planned on doing this year! Glad to hear the price confirmed for parking. Is is somewhat easy to drive to? Google maps makes it looks easy, but Im pretty nervous to drive to Boston even if its the outskirts.

I didn't want to take the train this year, and be tied to those times. Id rather drive and arrive and leave when I want. Just curious, anything I should know about leaving my car at Alewife, do I have to do anything to stay overnight or just pay when I leave?

Also, is the subway system easy to use? Ive only ever used to green line in Boston, somehow lol. So no idea which train to take to which stops. Will be traveling with a suitcase and a dog so trying to get an idea where I need to go. Staying at the Element so want to drop off my luggage when I arrive.

So I use Alewife anytime I go to Boston, which is often. For all my time spent in the city, you couldn't pay me to drive in Boston. :biggrin:

It's very easy to access depending where you're coming from. You pay when you leave. The station does advise against long term parking, but the explanation they gave me was anything over a week. There are disclaimers that even though the facility is monitored they are not liable if something happens (theft, damage, etc). But that goes for just about any parking garage.

As far as where to go, there are two Red Line trains that leave Alewife. Both will pass through South Station, so it doesn't matter which you take. Hop on and get off at South Station (10 min), then hop on the Silver Line and get off at World Trade Center (3 min). You will be right outside the bridge leading to BCEC and near any the hotels that are nearby. Easy peasy!

erdub14zr3u2.png

So I use Alewife anytime I go to Boston, which is often. For all my time spent in the city, you couldn't pay me to drive in Boston. :biggrin:

It's very easy to access depending where you're coming from. You pay when you leave. The station does advise against long term parking, but the explanation they gave me was anything over a week. There are disclaimers that even though the facility is monitored they are not liable if something happens (theft, damage, etc). But that goes for just about any parking garage.

As far as where to go, there are two Red Line trains that leave Alewife. Both will pass through South Station, so it doesn't matter which you take. Hop on and get off at South Station (10 min), then hop on the Silver Line and get off at World Trade Center (3 min). You will be right outside the bridge leading to BCEC and near any the hotels that are nearby. Easy peasy!

Fantastic, all things I was hoping for! I travel to boston a few times a year but I always take the train, green line, and stay at the same hotel. This year I am going a whole different direction, it will be fun.

Question though, the silver line at south station, isnt that a bus? Would that be an issue with a suitcase (large suitcase at that) and a dog? I don't mind walking the distance from south station to the BCEC if its not too long or dangerous to walk. Once I drop off my luggage I have no issues taking any sort of public transit :)

Thanks so much for all your help!

• sfford2008sfford2008 Registered User regular

Fantastic, all things I was hoping for! I travel to boston a few times a year but I always take the train, green line, and stay at the same hotel. This year I am going a whole different direction, it will be fun.

Question though, the silver line at south station, isnt that a bus? Would that be an issue with a suitcase (large suitcase at that) and a dog? I don't mind walking the distance from south station to the BCEC if its not too long or dangerous to walk. Once I drop off my luggage I have no issues taking any sort of public transit :)

The silver line is a bus, but you may not have too many issues depending the time of day.

The T isn't too bad. If you are getting on at Alewife, you can take the red line to south station and its about a mile walk to the element if you dont want to get on the silver line.

edited March 2019

Silver Line is technically a bus, but on a fixed overhead wire system (it's the old trolley). I've only seen issues with congestion in the evening and weekends. But yeah, like sfford said the actual walk from South Station to the Element is maybe a mile.

The only thing I will note is the current forecast for Boston during PAX is rain, rain, and rain. Mid-50s, though, so it could easily be much worse. But either way, come prepared if you plan on taking the scenic route.

MephistoN7 on
    erdub14zr3u2.png

Silver Line is technically a bus, but on a fixed overhead wire system (it's the old trolley). I've only seen issues with congestion in the evening and weekends. But yeah, like sfford said the actual walk from South Station to the Element is maybe a mile.

The only thing I will note is the current forecast for Boston during PAX is rain, rain, and rain. Mid-50s, though, so it could easily be much worse. But either way, come prepared if you plan on taking the scenic route.

Thank you both for the info! I just wasnt sure if they would physically be able to accommodate a large suitcase, I took the silver line bus ONCE but I had just a backpack and I recall climbing up stairs.

Last I checked weather is rain on the weekend, but I am arriving Wednesday so hopefully It will just be cloudy. Noted though! I really should invest in some sort of rain jacket though... rain or sun Im going to be outside a lot regardless haha.

I can't imagine it worse than snowmageddon, and last year was pretty cold if I recall.

Thank you both for the info! I just wasnt sure if they would physically be able to accommodate a large suitcase, I took the silver line bus ONCE but I had just a backpack and I recall climbing up stairs.

Last I checked weather is rain on the weekend, but I am arriving Wednesday so hopefully It will just be cloudy. Noted though! I really should invest in some sort of rain jacket though... rain or sun Im going to be outside a lot regardless haha.

I can't imagine it worse than snowmageddon, and last year was pretty cold if I recall.

Last year was definitely cold. Forecasts for PAX this year are starting to clear up, with most of the rain being Saturday. Either way, a far cry from snowmageddon.

erdub14zr3u2.png

• millerm277millerm277 Registered User regular
    Seems like a good place to put this. Was looking through MBTA's alerts today, and there's some important stuff if you were thinking of using the T/some frequently recommended T parking lots this PAX.

The Red Line will be a bus shuttle between Harvard and Alewife on Saturday and Sunday.

The Green Line C will be a bus shuttle between Kenmore and St Mary's on Saturday and Sunday.

The Green Line D will be a bus shuttle between Kenmore and Reservoir on Saturday and Sunday.

I would recommend you consider not picking Alewife, Woodland, or Riverside parking lots/garages as a place to leave your car for the convention/to park on the weekend days
    , it'll be a tedious trip to deal with the bus shuttles to get back post-PAX unless you're staying until Monday.

https://www.mbta.com/alerts/subway

millerm277 wrote: »
    Seems like a good place to put this. Was looking through MBTA's alerts today, and there's some important stuff if you were thinking of using the T/some frequently recommended T parking lots this PAX.

The Red Line will be a bus shuttle between Harvard and Alewife on Saturday and Sunday.

The Green Line C will be a bus shuttle between Kenmore and St Mary's on Saturday and Sunday.

The Green Line D will be a bus shuttle between Kenmore and Reservoir on Saturday and Sunday.

I would recommend you consider not picking Alewife, Woodland, or Riverside parking lots/garages as a place to leave your car for the convention/to park on the weekend days
    , it'll be a tedious trip to deal with the bus shuttles to get back post-PAX unless you're staying until Monday.

Oh wtf. I am parking at Alewife, and I don't feel comfortable changing my plans for that at this point since its a garage that lets me overnight. I will be taking me own car and can leave anytime on Sunday so I would imagine if Im not in a rush it shouldnt be a big issue? How does using a shuttle even work, will someone be there to help a noob like me? Maybe I could take a taxi or walk or something from harvard to alewife. I have no idea how possible that is, never been to that area. Ugg. Always something.

• ScoJoMoScoJoMo Registered User regular

Oh wtf. I am parking at Alewife, and I don't feel comfortable changing my plans for that at this point since its a garage that lets me overnight. I will be taking me own car and can leave anytime on Sunday so I would imagine if Im not in a rush it shouldnt be a big issue? How does using a shuttle even work, will someone be there to help a noob like me? Maybe I could take a taxi or walk or something from harvard to alewife. I have no idea how possible that is, never been to that area. Ugg. Always something.

Maybe it would be easier for you to park at the Channel Center garage? It will cost you a little more, but grab the Spot Hero app, sign up and use promo code MAR10SH for 10% off for first time users. Drive in, drop your stuff off at the Element, go to the garage and park. It's only about a half mile walk. Maybe that would be easier for you, and you wouldn't have to deal with taking the shuttle bus from Harvard to Alewife on Sunday. Bear in mind, there is only 2 stops between Harvard and Alewife (Porter and Davis Sq.), so it's not TOO bad, I guess.

• millerm277millerm277 Registered User regular

It's not that huge a deal, but it is going to take somewhat longer. There will be announcements/signs/staff. You'll board a shuttle bus at Alewife/Harvard and ride the shuttle bus for the closed stretch. It may be particularly annoying if you have a lot of luggage.

• SleepSleep Registered User regular
    Channel center is primo.

• revengeancefulrevengeanceful Registered User regular
    This is what I plan on doing as well. I have taken the shuttle between Harvard and Alewife a few times, and it's totally clear on where to go when you get to Harvard to catch the shuttle bus to Alewife. It does take about 15-20 minutes longer than the train would, and it may be a bit cramped, but it's certainly a viable option. Having said that, I plan on taking an uber/lyft from my hotel back to Alewife on Sunday just because I don't feel like dealing with that hassle. It should run about $15-20 depending on exactly which hotel you're at if you decide to take that option. Hope that helps!

This is what I plan on doing as well. I have taken the shuttle between Harvard and Alewife a few times, and it's totally clear on where to go when you get to Harvard to catch the shuttle bus to Alewife. It does take about 15-20 minutes longer than the train would, and it may be a bit cramped, but it's certainly a viable option. Having said that, I plan on taking an uber/lyft from my hotel back to Alewife on Sunday just because I don't feel like dealing with that hassle. It should run about $15-20 depending on exactly which hotel you're at if you decide to take that option. Hope that helps!

Hmm I like the uber/lyft idea! Im staying at the Element and Ive never used Uber or lyft before, Im sure its pretty straightforward though. It might be worth it to just do that to get back to Alewife. But if it just will add time its not the end of the world.

Thanks for all the info everyone and suggestions

• jayh0vajayh0va Registered User regular
    Does anyone have any rideshare promo codes? PAX has promoted some in the past, but I can't seem to find any this year.

npyymaqh3gup.png
  • nycguynycguy Registered User regular
    i honestly dont mind parking at bcec. it's 20/day and for 5 days that'd be what...$100? it's on site, the shuttles are frequent...and i usually just run to my car for food/snacks/breaks, etc...