Options

Yap yap yap($5), silence ($9).

Spectral SwallowSpectral Swallow Registered User regular
edited May 2007 in Debate and/or Discourse
So for the last year now I've been buying a childs ticket($5) instead of an adult ticket($9) at the theater, I finally got busted today, and when I confronted the manager about WHY a child's ticket would be less since children tend to talk more, and occupy the same space. He couldn't give me an answer(I didn't really expect him to, I was just being an ass). So here's my question, what the heck can we do about it? I personally think it's all kinds of bullshit for kids to be charged LESS, what about you? Agree, disagree?

Spectral Swallow on

• Options
    ÆthelredÆthelred Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    It's nothing specific to the cinema theatre since children's prices are lower everywhere. I guess it's because.. they have less money?

Æthelred on
    pokes: 1505 8032 8399
  • Options
    CrimsonKingCrimsonKing Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Yea, I mean eight bucks to see Spongebob is like, a whole lot in kids terms.

CrimsonKing on
    This sig was too tall - Elki.
  • Options
    Vrtra TheoryVrtra Theory Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    What's the cutoff for being a kid?

How do they even get into movies?

Vrtra Theory on
    Are you a Software Engineer living in Seattle? HBO is hiring, message me.
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Children will bring along their parents so they will increase profit overall.

Couscous on
  • Options
    SiriusSirius Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Also, children probably tend to buy more candy. Just saying.

Sirius on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2007
    I think we should really take on the senior citizens benefits and discounts.

_J_ on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    _J_ wrote: »

Why? Old people deserve some succour.

Æthelred on
  • Options
    _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2007

I think fighting old people is more socially acceptable than fighting children.

I think.

_J_ on
  • Options
    edited May 2007

I think fighting old people is more socially acceptable than fighting children.

I think.

Yeah. Which is why we should protect old people. :P Especially since we've finished being children, thus they don't matter anymore; but we will definitely be old people, so we should make sure they have cool stuff. Plus, they're quiet at the cinema.

Æthelred on
  • Options
    The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2007
    The discount is designed to make it more likely for cash-strapped parents to take the kids to the movies. Its nothing to do with the kids' personal characteristics. You're also an asshole for harassing an entry-level employee. They don't get paid enough to put up with bullshit like that.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    He did say he was talking to the manager, not a ticket-clerk. I'm just wondering how he managed to get child's tickets for so long.. boyish good looks? The age cut-off is like 12 around here.

Æthelred on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    The Cat wrote: »
    The discount is designed to make it more likely for cash-strapped parents to take the kids to the movies. Its nothing to do with the kids' personal characteristics. You're also an asshole for harassing an entry-level employee. They don't get paid enough to put up with bullshit like that.

Oops, I would have sworn I typed 'manager' but yeah, that's who I bitched at. The entry levels can't do shit about it. But the manager was one of those idiots that thinks his job is the be all end all. One of those people that really thinks what they're doing makes a difference.
    I'm a manager at Target and I know for a fact nothing I'm nothing. That was the big thing, was just how the guy acted like a douche.

Spectral Swallow on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Yeah, it's a form of price discrimination, just like senior discounts. You charge less for people who are typically willing to pay less. You make more money that way.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    We've got age discrimination laws in the UK now. I wonder how they work out for this sort of thing. I think they're just for employment though.

Æthelred on
  • Options
    tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited May 2007

Oops, I would have sworn I typed 'manager' but yeah, that's who I bitched at. The entry levels can't do shit about it. But the manager was one of those idiots that thinks his job is the be all end all. One of those people that really thinks what they're doing makes a difference.
    I'm a manager at Target and I know for a fact nothing I'm nothing. That was the big thing, was just how the guy acted like a douche.

His acting like a douche probably had something to do with a grown man trying to rip his theater off.

tofu on
  • Options
    InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    tofu wrote: »

His acting like a douche probably had something to do with a grown man trying to rip his theater off.

In addition, why shouldn't he take his job seriously? I'm well aware of how meaningless my job is, but I still do the best job I can and if that means I have to be a douche to assholes, so be it.

Invisible on
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I'd consider it a job perk if I got to be a douche to assholes. :D

There are times and places to bring that sort of thing up. Doing it right after you've been scamming the theater out of money isn't it.

Phoenix-D on
  • Options
    YarYar Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    The "manager" is whatever guy drew the short straw and had to listen to fucks like you (OP) bitch that night.

Yar on
  • Options
    HooraydiationHooraydiation Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    How were you buying children's tickets? Can you pass for a child? How were you found out?

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • Options
    SavantSavant Simply Barbaric Registered User regular
    edited May 2007

Actually, as Thantanos said it is a method of price discrimintation varying by customer. Price discrimination is used to counter the normal consumer advantage from consumer surplus to increase profits.

Basically, there are people who are people who are willing to pay more than the theoretical equilibrium price for a good where the supply and demand curves meet each other, but they pay the same if the market does not differentiate between customers. But with working age adults being more likely to be willing to pay more for a movie than children and seniors, the movie theaters are able to differentiate the prices between the groups to match the optimal levels for the different price points and thus increase revenues.

More direct methods of price discrimination tend to be rather unpopular with consumers, with some exceptions including if spending more has a certain 'hipness' value associated with it. It is much more difficult for a competative market to have a scheme of price discrimination than it is for an uncompetative market.

Savant on
  • Options
    YarYar Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Um, no.

It is what Cat said. Kids don't pay for their own tickets. I, as a father of two, have to pay more to see a movie thatn a single person or a couple without kids. I'm either paying a baby-sitter, or paying for two more tickets. Also, there's a general societal tendency to view children as not quite full members of society ("minors") and hence the value of them getting to do pretty much anything isn't the same.

Yar on
  • Options
    UndefinedMonkeyUndefinedMonkey Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    If I were a parent, and I had to pay $8+ per kid just to go see the Happy Squarey Sponge Bob Feet From Madagascar Meet the Robinsons, I'd wait till it came out on video and rent it. Sure, a kid takes up the same space as an adult in a theater (and is often far more annoying... little snot-nosed horrors that they are ), but parents generally don't have as much disposable income as we do. A few bucks off per kid might make the difference between a family outing at your theater and an evening in.

UndefinedMonkey on
    This space intentionally left blank.
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    For people wondering how you can buy children tickets, if you just buy them at the internet pick up machines, you can just buy as many children tickets as you want.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    SavantSavant Simply Barbaric Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Yar wrote: »
    Um, no.

It is what Cat said. Kids don't pay for their own tickets. I, as a father of two, have to pay more to see a movie thatn a single person or a couple without kids. I'm either paying a baby-sitter, or paying for two more tickets. Also, there's a general societal tendency to view children as not quite full members of society ("minors") and hence the value of them getting to do pretty much anything isn't the same.

Perhaps the target for price dicrimination is the family, but that is not especially relevant to the point it is price discrimination varying by customer class. You can take it up with my prior economics prof if you think otherwise.

Savant on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Um, no.

You don't think making it cheaper for families to go to the movie theater is a form of price discrimination?

Hell, what Cat described is price discrimination.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Thanatos wrote: »
    Um, no.

You don't think making it cheaper for families to go to the movie theater is a form of price discrimination?

Isn't it more expensive for families to go to the movie theater by virtue of the fact that they're a family, and not a lonesome adult?

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Um, no.

Isn't it more expensive for families to go to the movie theater by virtue of the fact that they're a family, and not a lonesome adult?
    Yes. So they make it cheaper for the kids to get in, to encourage the parents to go. The idea being that if the parents had to buy 4 full-price tickets for them plus their two kids, they wouldn't go (or, at least, some of them wouldn't), but with the cheaper prices for the kids, that mitigates their costs.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Wow.

That's.

Um.

Do you go to Denny's and tell them it's your birthday, or order a kid's meal?

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    RamiusRamius Joined: July 19, 2000 Administrator, ClubPA admin
    edited May 2007
    There is a sandwich and pizza deli place near here that charges something like $2 less for a "kids pizza" than for an adult pizza, even though they are the same size. And the kids pizza comes with a cookie too.

Ramius on
    1zxt8dhasaon.png
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Heck, there are places where "Kids eat free on Tuesdays!" and so forth.

And then you have senior meals and specials. Even at McDonalds.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    If I were a parent, and I had to pay $8+ per kid just to go see the Happy Squarey Sponge Bob Feet From Madagascar Meet the Robinsons, I'd wait till it came out on video and rent it. Sure, a kid takes up the same space as an adult in a theater (and is often far more annoying... little snot-nosed horrors that they are ), but parents generally don't have as much disposable income as we do. A few bucks off per kid might make the difference between a family outing at your theater and an evening in.

Also consider the fact that theatres rarely sell out the theatre except on opening weekends of major, hotly anticipated films. By charging less for kids, they aren't displacing adults.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Um, no.

Yes. So they make it cheaper for the kids to get in, to encourage the parents to go. The idea being that if the parents had to buy 4 full-price tickets for them plus their two kids, they wouldn't go (or, at least, some of them wouldn't), but with the cheaper prices for the kids, that mitigates their costs.

I took cheaper as meaning something other than what you intended, as in cheaper versus the cost for someone with no family.

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Man, I used to hang out a the theater all the time, often really late at night when my mom had to work.

I used to have to snag a nickel or two from the wishing fountain to get enough to keep me off the street in the middle of the night so I could watch Forest Gump instead of Joe Hobo

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    The thing is why charge an adult more than a kid if, as was previously mentioned, they aren't taking up any more space? The entire thing is halfway to retarded. And the bullshit about 'Well it encourages parents to take their kids', yeah how about you lower the price to $5 for everyone? Then maybe more folks would go to the theaters, as it stands now adults are paying almost twice as much to watch the same movie, in the same theater, in the same seat.

Spectral Swallow on
  • Options
    juice for jesusjuice for jesus Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Price discrimination simply means that the producer charges different consumers different amounts for the same product. The way they discern (or "discriminate") who will pay what is irrelevant. Supermarket club cards, coupons, student/child/senior discounts are all forms of price discrimination.

juice for jesus on
  • Options
    Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Quick question, has anyone ever thrown a beverage at the screen while the movie was going on? I have seen it only once and the guy was promptly arrested from the looks of it. Just wanted to know if it was a one in a million thing or does it happen pretty often.

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    The thing is why charge an adult more than a kid if, as was previously mentioned, they aren't taking up any more space? The entire thing is halfway to retarded. And the bullshit about 'Well it encourages parents to take their kids', yeah how about you lower the price to $5 for everyone? Then maybe more folks would go to the theaters, as it stands now adults are paying almost twice as much to watch the same movie, in the same theater, in the same seat.

Because they want to make money and charging kids less gets them more money.

Welcome to the economy.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Quick question, has anyone ever thrown a beverage at the screen while the movie was going on?

Does squirting water from a squirt gun at RHPS count?

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    RamiusRamius Joined: July 19, 2000 Administrator, ClubPA admin
    edited May 2007

The basic idea is, having a tiered $5/$8 pricing based on age will increase their profits over charging $5 to everybody or charging $8 to everybody.

You might challenge them to try it and see, but playing with pricing is a tricky mental game that might alienate customers in the long term.

Here's a pretty good article which explains price segmentation. (for the software market, but still useful in a general-knowledge sort of way)

Ramius on
    1zxt8dhasaon.png
  • Options
    DesertBoxDesertBox Registered User regular
    edited May 2007

Um, because the theater wants to make as much money as possible? You know so that they can pay their employees & their stockholders, expand and make more money, etc? It's called capitalism, I believe. They set their pricing policy to what they think will maximize their profit.

ie. A 3/4 full theater of patrons paying $10 is better than a full theater paying $5. But if you can fill 3/4 of it with ppl paying $10 and the other 1/4 with ppl paying $5, that's even better.

This is like saying "why can't everything be the price I want it to be?" and that leads to communism. Do your colors run red?

I wonder what the OP thinks about the fact that every person on an airplane pays different fares than the person next to them.

EDIT: So beat

DesertBox on