As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Sysadmin] Routing to null

• Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    I love having a job where I can just wfh whenever.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    I enjoy when users think that the importance of their document, how long it is, or when it is due has any bearing on whether or not it can be recovered if they didn't bother to save it and word crashed on them.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    Does anyone know a good way to identify all TLS 1 devices on a given network?

• Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    edited July 2019
    Feral wrote: »
    I'm not familiar with Incommon but it sounds like a straightforward SSO implementation, if I understand it right

Shibboleth acts as an identity provider (IDP), authenticating to Incommon on the back end and offering SSO on the front end

You set up your other websites as service providers that consume SAML tokens from Shibboleth

I might have the details slightly wrong because I'm just extrapolating from other SSO platforms

Sorry, possibly wasn't clear. I have Shibboleth working right now.

What I'm looking to do, is due to college political stuff, we can't officially host our two apps (one live, one coming online), and our departmental site on the same servers. I have no effing idea why, but thems the rules (made by people who clearly don't do any sort of tech stuff).

Which means I'd have to do three shib implementations, and it's just generally a pain. There's also the fact that one of the apps I build with some nginx and Node socket functionality, and getting Shib working on Nginx is a fucking nightmare (Like, have one of the Shib Consortium guys in my phone contacts at this point and we actually gave up and just switched back to Apache with our live app).

So I'm looking to have one Apache server handle the authentication for both apps and our department site, and then have everything hosted on their own sandboxed servers because we have to make the people happy. I'm assuming I'd be authenticating, then setting my own HTTP headers and bouncing around within the internal project network to then create the sessions? But I actually have no idea if that's even a thing, or an awful idea, or what.

Mvrck on
  • Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    Does anyone know a good way to identify all TLS 1 devices on a given network?

nmap will do it with a script, but it's going to be pretty heavy handed and intrusive so could get picked up by security protections or cause performance degradation.

nmap --script ssl-enum-ciphers -p 443 <host or network>

You could also use more advanced tools like Nessus.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    I love it when a user lies to an executive, and we have a paper trail to prove that they lied.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    TroyTroy Registered User regular
    What do you all do for provisioning new/modifying users? We are in the constant free fall of trying to come up with solutions on our own, and none of them are really adequate. Something that is in the format of Form -> Approval -> Automation, though the automation bit can be handled by our back-end as long as there is decent interfacing (webhooks etc). Ideally free to cheap.

• Options
    I think I need to add a new line to my job description:

-Professional bullshit writer.

As in, I have to write bullshit so it doesn't sound like I'm calling you stupid when you are, in fact, stupid.

• Options
    RandomHajileRandomHajile Not actually a Snatcher The New KremlinRegistered User regular
    Troy wrote: »
    What do you all do for provisioning new/modifying users? We are in the constant free fall of trying to come up with solutions on our own, and none of them are really adequate. Something that is in the format of Form -> Approval -> Automation, though the automation bit can be handled by our back-end as long as there is decent interfacing (webhooks etc). Ideally free to cheap.

I wrote a thing that grabs a CSV from our employee information database and creates all of the scripts I need to create a user. I spend a minute checking it over for sanity/collisions, and then around five minutes running the scripts and provisioning the email stuff. I could automate it a tiny bit more but it wouldn’t be worth the time, especially since we rarely hire anyone new.

• Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    Was told by my boss to play nice with a vendor who complained today.
    Fortunately my boss, his boss, and his boss all know it's the vendor being ridiculous because I have offered (via email so there's a paper trail) to work with them on this problem day after day and they never responded or asked me.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    wunderbar wrote: »
    I enjoy when users think that the importance of their document, how long it is, or when it is due has any bearing on whether or not it can be recovered if they didn't bother to save it and word crashed on them.

Little do they know, the more important the document and the sooner the deadline directly impacts the likelihood of the crash in the first place.

PSN: jfrofl
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    So for those of you who have done the job search or getting hired thing recently, what do you do with your resume to get it seen? Or how did you format it?
    Should I start with experience and certifications?
    Work history?

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    So for those of you who have done the job search or getting hired thing recently, what do you do with your resume to get it seen? Or how did you format it?
    Should I start with experience and certifications?
    Work history?

Put "DevOps" somewhere in it.

Recruiters will be licking the screen when seeing it.
    J/K

Or am I!?

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    Block chain agile Dev ops.

• Options
    Radiation wrote: »
    Block chain agile Dev ops with containers.

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    wunderbar wrote: »
    Block chain agile Dev ops with containers.

Chatbot

• Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    Full Stack block chain agile Dev ops with containers.

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    I'm going to put 'half full stack developer' on my next resume and claim to be an optimist if I'm asked about it.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    zerzhul wrote: »

Full stack block chain agile DevOps with containers leveraging machine learning algorithms to hybridize cloud data.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    RandomHajileRandomHajile Not actually a Snatcher The New KremlinRegistered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    zerzhul wrote: »

Full stack block chain agile DevOps with containers leveraging machine learning algorithms to hybridize cloud data.
    Gotta work cyber security in there somewhere.

• Options
    DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    DevSecOps then...

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    Stop cribbing my LinkedIn profile.

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Secure DevOps implementing cloud native blockchain solutions leveraging AI neural netw to optimize a containerized infrastructure in our journey to true serverless agility

• Options
    Entaru wrote: »
    Stop cribbing my LinkedIn profile.

Look, we haven't even gotten to the mentor, encouragement coach, high-five giver section yet.

• Options
    Really they're secure, scalable solutions with distributed integrity models so we can enable collaborative intelligence communities to engage holistic Kubernetes for real time reporting.

• Options
    Really they're secure, scalable solutions with distributed integrity models so we can enable collaborative intelligence communities to engage holistic Kubernetes for real time reporting.

Coming after you for IP violations.

• Options
    Entaru wrote: »

Coming after you for IP violations.

CONFIGURAhelpBLE SIDELOAimED DEPLOYinthemachineMENTS

• Options
    ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All Bacons Washington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular
    schuss wrote: »
    Secure DevOps implementing cloud native blockchain solutions leveraging AI neural netw to optimize a containerized infrastructure in our journey to true serverless agility

My braine meets are melting.

• Options
    My million dollar idea. A chatbot for troubleshooting your build that asks you inane questions about your explanation, forcing you to walk back through your build to figure out what you misconfigured.

• Options
    My million dollar idea. A chatbot for troubleshooting your build that asks you inane questions about your explanation, forcing you to walk back through your build to figure out what you misconfigured.

That already exists in the form of multiple products. They're commonly refereed to as "consutlants" and "vendor support".

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular

I'm going to create a chatbot that finds answers to your questions by posting a blatantly wrong answer on Twitter and then scraping the responses.

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular

I'm going to create a chatbot that finds answers to your questions by posting a blatantly wrong answer on Twitter and then scraping the responses.

Cunningham's bot.

• Options
    You know, if your system is going to use email addresses as user names (please don't), at least support all the same characters as email addresses (spoiler: almost everything is a valid character in an email address).

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    LD50 wrote: »
    You know, if your system is going to use email addresses as user names (please don't), at least support all the same characters as email addresses (spoiler: almost everything is a valid character in an email address).

What I don't get, is, if it fails to deliver a setup/validation link to the user, who cares? That's your filter right there for if the email worked. It's not 1996 anymore, they're not going to buffer overflow the email server if you accept a tilde.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    bowen wrote: »
    LD50 wrote: »

What I don't get, is, if it fails to deliver a setup/validation link to the user, who cares? That's your filter right there for if the email worked. It's not 1996 anymore, they're not going to buffer overflow the email server if you accept a tilde.

Real talk: Skype for Business is some hot fucking garbage.

• Options
    Apparently my old boss broke one of their servers by removing an UEFI boot shim.

Hahahah.

• Options
    mcpmcp Registered User regular
    Microsoft's power bi either doesn't work, or I'm kind of dumb.

I'm willing to accept either.

I asked it how much total storage we're using in o365, and it told me 8(kb/mb/gb/tb)

The fuck does that mean

• Options
    It means 8.

You know. . . 8

• Options
    Dizzy DDizzy D NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    I really hoping they will be shaping up Teams then, because at is, it's a mixture of lots of different things, but doing none of them really well.

Steam/Origin: davydizzy
This discussion has been closed.