As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Sysadmin] Routing to null

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Thawmus wrote: »
    This is why I just let users call me, and fuck ticket systems. I'd rather be able to just ask questions right away and get rid of this shit.

Telephone? Ugh. The worst.

"What does the error message say?"

"Uh something about invalid something"

"I need the exact text of the error message"

"It says 'invalid'"

"Really? Just 'invalid'? Is there anything before or after that?"

"Oh yeah there's something after that."

"What does it say after that?"

"Invalid hostname contoso.com."

"Okay, is there a button that says 'work offline?"

"No"

"Are you sure? It's usually there"

"No, I don't see it"

"It's a red button with white text that says "work offline"

"Oh there it is. Should I click on it?"

"NO YOU GODDAMN BLITHERING MORON I JUST WANTED TO KNOW FOR MY OWN CURIOSITY YES YOU SHOULD FUCKING CLICK ON IT JESUS FUCKING CHRIST"

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Many Users instinctively close their third eye to the Arcana. This is a reflex, as the very runes themselves could damage their minds.

Only Arcana belonging to the meager spells they have memorized will reveal themselves to them, and even then, commonly only when the Arcanum is part of a Pattern the User is actively Invoking. Even when told explicitly where and what to look for, they will see nothing. Only grabbing their skull and forcing their gaze over an Arcanum will reveal it. Be wary of this, however, as you may damage them irreparably.

• Options
    lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    Feral wrote: »
    Also, not only that, we have one specific major vendor whose critical website:

1) Only works in MSIE11 because it requires a specific ActiveX MSIE plugin
    2) Breaks often, usually due to network/server/loadbalancer problems on their hosting
    3) Whenever a user calls them to troubleshoot, their tier-1 support asks us to turn on Compatibility View
    4) the website actually does not work in Compatibility View, ever, at all. This advice never works.

No, we cannot go to a competitor. There is no competitor. They may not have a monopoly in their industry in the legal sense, but they have a de facto monopoly.

We could stop offering the service to our customers that relies on this vendor, but our C-level execs and our board won't take that option for strategic reasons, not the least of which is that we're under contractual obligation in some cases and we could literally be sued.

We're in the same situation. We have a customer who we need to use their website to get information from them. Their internal website runs only on IE and broke when Microsoft updated about 6 months ago so they had to compatibility view, put the site as a trusted site, turn off pop up blocker, and more to get it to run. They are a major player so there is no "replacement" for them so we are stuck. If I told you the name you would instantly recognize the company.

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    lwt1973 wrote: »
    Also, not only that, we have one specific major vendor whose critical website:

1) Only works in MSIE11 because it requires a specific ActiveX MSIE plugin
    2) Breaks often, usually due to network/server/loadbalancer problems on their hosting
    3) Whenever a user calls them to troubleshoot, their tier-1 support asks us to turn on Compatibility View
    4) the website actually does not work in Compatibility View, ever, at all. This advice never works.

No, we cannot go to a competitor. There is no competitor. They may not have a monopoly in their industry in the legal sense, but they have a de facto monopoly.

We could stop offering the service to our customers that relies on this vendor, but our C-level execs and our board won't take that option for strategic reasons, not the least of which is that we're under contractual obligation in some cases and we could literally be sued.

We're in the same situation. We have a customer who we need to use their website to get information from them. Their internal website runs only on IE and broke when Microsoft updated about 6 months ago so they had to compatibility view, put the site as a trusted site, turn off pop up blocker, and more to get it to run. They are a major player so there is no "replacement" for them so we are stuck. If I told you the name you would instantly recognize the company.

All this money these companies spend on supporting their shitty infrastructure could, instead, be used to build a better system. They are probably spending a fucking fortune on it (and also maintaining archaic systems).

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    This is why I just let users call me, and fuck ticket systems. I'd rather be able to just ask questions right away and get rid of this shit.

Telephone? Ugh. The worst.

"What does the error message say?"

"Uh something about invalid something"

"I need the exact text of the error message"

"It says 'invalid'"

"Really? Just 'invalid'? Is there anything before or after that?"

"Oh yeah there's something after that."

"What does it say after that?"

"Invalid hostname contoso.com."

"Okay, is there a button that says 'work offline?"

"No"

"Are you sure? It's usually there"

"No, I don't see it"

"It's a red button with white text that says "work offline"

"Oh there it is. Should I click on it?"

"NO YOU GODDAMN BLITHERING MORON I JUST WANTED TO KNOW FOR MY OWN CURIOSITY YES YOU SHOULD FUCKING CLICK ON IT JESUS FUCKING CHRIST"

But, as frustrating as that conversation was, it's also over at that point, right?

That's kinda my point, it's ripping off the band-aid.

DISCLAIMER: I recognize that ticket systems are useful at larger companies with more staff, but I see a lot of small companies with a small staff use them to excuse the fact that they have too small of a staff, and it is a fucking quagmire. Just call me and then go away.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    users who just mash through errors and then complain they got errors but can't communicate to you what went wrong are the worst

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    LD50 wrote: »
    Many Users instinctively close their third eye to the Arcana. This is a reflex, as the very runes themselves could damage their minds.

Only Arcana belonging to the meager spells they have memorized will reveal themselves to them, and even then, commonly only when the Arcanum is part of a Pattern the User is actively Invoking. Even when told explicitly where and what to look for, they will see nothing. Only grabbing their skull and forcing their gaze over an Arcanum will reveal it. Be wary of this, however, as you may damage them irreparably.

The DND nerds in my office are loving this post.

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    DISCLAIMER: I recognize that ticket systems are useful at larger companies with more staff, but I see a lot of small companies with a small staff use them to excuse the fact that they have too small of a staff, and it is a fucking quagmire. Just call me and then go away.

Oh, I don't like ticketing systems very much. (I just hate talking on the phone more.) They have their uses, and I will be a good boy and use them, but I think the majority of them are overwrought bloatware and they're typically horribly abused by management.

And I've very recently been in a situation like that. We bought a new ticketing system, because we identified the old one as an impediment. But multiple conversations & meetings before we kicked off that project went like this:

"Our ticket backlog is way too high. What's stopping us from working tickets faster?"
    "We need more helpdesk staff."
    "Other than that. We can't increase our headcount."
    "Uh, I dunno. That's the biggest problem. Maybe a better ticketing system, I guess? That might help a little."

It might be unsurprising to learn that the ticketing system project stalled, and never actually launched, because 1) we purchased a shitty ticketing system because 1B) nobody had time to do due diligence on it and 2) the project contributors who were dedicated to that project were pulled away to work on other projects, because we have organizational ADHD :rotate:

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    edited September 2019
    Honestly, I just want people to email the general Helpdesk mailbox.

And I want the ticketing system to parse incoming helpdesk emails and automagically turn them into tickets.

And then I just want a single dropdown for the helpdesk staff to categorize the ticket, a second dropdown for status, a button to reassign the ticket, and a text field for resolution. Nothing else. Every other feature I've ever seen has been bloat at best; bad-management-enabler at worst.

and yeah I know there are ticketing systems that work like this, but managers love to buy ticketing systems the way Best Buy advertises TVs; MORE FEATURES = MORE BETTER

Feral on

• Options
    Honestly, I just want people to email the general Helpdesk mailbox.

And I want the ticketing system to parse incoming helpdesk emails and automagically turn them into tickets.

And then I just want a single dropdown for the helpdesk staff to categorize the ticket, a second dropdown for status, a button to reassign the ticket, and a text field for resolution. Nothing else. Every other feature I've ever seen has been bloat at best; bad-management-enabler at worst.

and yeah I know there are ticketing systems that work like this, but managers love to buy ticketing systems the way Best Buy advertises TVs; MORE FEATURES = MORE BETTER

Honestly you don't even need a ticketing system for that. You need an auto-responder, a mailbox rule that parses language in the Body of the email, Slack, and a documentation wiki.

I don't have a ticketing system at all for our internal stuff. People call or email me about a problem, and I just fix it. And I write up a report throughout the day, slightly detailing my exploits, which gets emailed to two other people. Sometimes they use these details to address something they are troubleshooting down the road, or they hit me back with helpful advice about something I'm struggling with.

And if it's related to a project or a server operation of any kind, I throw it into documentation.

• Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    Came in and mail was down, somehow the log file drive filled overnight despite the backup working perfectly fine, we snapshot every hour so either the log truncation broke or we generated better than 50GB worth of logs in an hour. Tried for a soft repair and no love, and frankly, hadn't done this in years and years so went to the hard repair which I have done in the past and was never that terrible that I could recall. I now regret this, even though we're on the second to last step - reading that this might take an entire weekend to 5 days which is fairly useless. Put in a call to the backup/restore vendor to get the exact process and any tips for doing a complete restore of the DB since we've never had to, just mail items which has been trivial to do.

Incredibly stressful.

• Options
    Bendery It Like BeckhamBendery It Like Beckham Hopeless Registered User regular
    The "He promised it would be done by the time he leaves!" emails have started coming in...

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular

Some of this is trained behavior, though. Like, nobody knows what a 404 error means, but they've seen it before.

But yeah, some of it is definitely just people being willfully obtuse and ignoring what's right in front of them.

• Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    We just hired a new dev whose going to be working remotely, nothing strange about that prolly 70% of our company works remotely but this guy..works remotely from his sailboat...I guess he has satellite internet and he just sails around to different places while web dev'ing..i'm kinda jelly..

steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular

Some of this is trained behavior, though. Like, nobody knows what a 404 error means, but they've seen it before.

But yeah, some of it is definitely just people being willfully obtuse and ignoring what's right in front of them.

I think that us IT people as a whole have a tendency to overestimate the competency of a specific subset of our userbase (I jokingly call them 'Users' and keep making up arcane gibberish). Those users lack foundational knowledge necessary to understand their workflows in any real capacity. I jokingly call them 'spells' and 'arcana' because to those users, their workflow might as well be magic for how opaque the entire computer is to them. These users are completely lost in the woods, only able to navigate through their workflows by following tenuous breadcrumbs and are always in fear of straying off the path for fear they will be lost forever. It sounds like I'm being hyperbolic but I'm really not. These users can get lost in an application simply by opening up a window or dialog they are unfamiliar with. Things you would thing they would understand that are as simple as a back button will be foreign to them if it isn't that one specific back button they are used to pressing. Their experiences getting lost have only trained them to be afraid of being adventurous, which entrenches them further into their super specific workflow.

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    I use conditional formatting in Outlook and Excel. It blows people's minds.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    We just hired a new dev whose going to be working remotely, nothing strange about that prolly 70% of our company works remotely but this guy..works remotely from his sailboat...I guess he has satellite internet and he just sails around to different places while web dev'ing..i'm kinda jelly..

how the fuck do I sign up for that life

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular

My next job is going to be 100% remote.

I plan to work and travel..I am done shooting low.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Immediately stopped by my bosses this morning letting me know we've been hacked

Look into it, turns out a bunch of people got extortion emails from themselves asking them to turn over 700 dollars in bitcoin or else the hacker will release the videos they took of them looking at inappropriate websites.

Bosses are convinced we've been hacked and that's how they have somehow gotten access to the list of emails.

I'm pretty sure that's just someone using email spoofing and a list of emails from a hacked site though, right? I checked all the emails I've been given so far and every one of them has been included in a data breach soooo. Working on making sure email spoofing protection is turned on in gsuite now.

But then I get to explain how we weren't actually hacked so much as "this is the internet and email sucks and that can just happen"

• Options
    bowen wrote: »

how the fuck do I sign up for that life

How do I tell taliosfalcon that he's working with John McAfee?

• Options
    RandomHajileRandomHajile Not actually a Snatcher The New KremlinRegistered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »

Look into it, turns out a bunch of people got extortion emails from themselves asking them to turn over 700 dollars in bitcoin or else the hacker will release the videos they took of them looking at inappropriate websites.

Bosses are convinced we've been hacked and that's how they have somehow gotten access to the list of emails.

I'm pretty sure that's just someone using email spoofing and a list of emails from a hacked site though, right? I checked all the emails I've been given so far and every one of them has been included in a data breach soooo. Working on making sure email spoofing protection is turned on in gsuite now.

But then I get to explain how we weren't actually hacked so much as "this is the internet and email sucks and that can just happen"

Does it have a password in the email to scare them? That’s pretty typical if your email addresses are associated with a particular hack. Check haveibeenpwned.com and see. The Adobe hack was our worst one. If you have control of your website or DNS, you can also pull down a complete list for your domain.

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    SniperGuy wrote: »

Does it have a password in the email to scare them? That’s pretty typical if your email addresses are associated with a particular hack. Check haveibeenpwned.com and see. The Adobe hack was our worst one. If you have control of your website or DNS, you can also pull down a complete list for your domain.

No password in the email, but according to haveibeenpwned only emails, names, birthdays, and salted password hashes got out, so it's unlikely anyone actually knows passwords buuut I didn't realize I could do the full list for the domain, that's super handy! edit: And after looking at it, very scary!

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    We get piles of those emails, usually they have a snippet of an old ass password that they pulled from a list that's a decade old. I get three or four a week, it's a big thing going around again in the last few weeks. Previous manager whose account I monitor got one today, in french.

ZUT ALORS, LES BITCOINS!

Nosf on
  • Options
    RandomHajileRandomHajile Not actually a Snatcher The New KremlinRegistered User regular
    Nosf wrote: »
    We get piles of those emails, usually they have a snippet of an old ass password that they pulled from a list that's a decade old. I get three or four a week, it's a big thing going around again in the last few weeks. Previous manager whose account I monitor got one today, in french.

ZUT ALORS, LES BITCOINS!
    I occasionally look at emails that are getting caught in the spam filters here and the user’s old real password shows in the subject line...people have bad passwords, man. One of them is a dude who has had to have his PC wiped multiple times in the past and we’ve never been able to prove it was porn related even though we’re pretty sure it was... the password that he had listed on one of these extortion emails was “panties1”.

• Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    This will be my last thread running the SysAdmin thread

Let me know if you want to do it.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    5:36 of this fascinating video may be of some interest to many folks in here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0bwifBk6ZE

• Options
    I'm hesitant to talk about it much, for fear of jinxing it but...

I just got home from an interview and I think I nailed it. I'm sure some of you have followed the trials and tribulations of my time working at an msp. Well, one of my coworkers turned down a job he thought I might like. For him, it was down to the insurance for his family bring a lot more expensive. For me, a single person who makes less than him, it seemed like a no-brainer. I've had 2 somewhat informal (he was driving home) phone interviews with the corporate IT manager previously. Today I met with 2 of the local GMs to talk about the job and my resume. I would be the IT person for some car dealerships that are owned by a larger corporation. It would work a lot like my current job. I would be the local IT manager/tech monkey with high level engineers back at corporate who can remote into switches and routers if everything goes to hell. It would basically just be me, a laptop, a cell phone and a rudimentary ticketing system. I would have a home base at one of the dealerships and roam in a company car, doing my IT thing. I would schedule my day around the needs of the dealerships.

My coworker was kind enough to tell me how much the offered him. I was bold and asked for the same. I'll take the job if they come within $1/h of my asking. If that's the case I'm in for a 40%+ raise. I can think of a lot of things I can do with that extra money. Like actually have some savings outside of my retirement account.

• Options
    As soon as I got to the interview I knew I had made the right choice wearing a tie. One of the GMs was wearing a nice expensive suit/tie and the other an expensive shirt/tie. I was going in there with MUCH less expensive clothing but at least I proved that I could groom myself and tie a tie when needed. I am basically proficient at the half and full windsor and I went with the full since it's a little harder. Before I left I printed out some extra copies of my resume. It came in handy because they only had 1 copy between the 2 of them. I got to look good opening my folio with a copy ready. I think I had good answers for all of their questions and even had some suggestions for stuff that came up in the converstaoin. I emphasised how my current job is so similar to what they are looking for. So much so that I could probably be productive from day one. Things stayed casual and it really didn't feel like they were grilling me. Either I'm getting better at interviews or it was a particularly easy one. Probably both.

It's is kind of exciting and scary job hunting when you already have a decent job that you're used to. Most of my previous job hunts have been out of some form of desperation. Either I didn't have a job or the job I had was not even enough to cover my half of rent. It's an odd feeling being in a position like this. Yeah I want the job but I don't NEED it. I'm not desperate. I'm doing fine. Just not as fine as this new job could make me. When they asked me why I wanted the job I told them somewhat bluntly that it was just down to wanting to make more money. I they of all people could respect that.

I really hope I don't jinx it, getting so publicly hyped like this.

• Options
    baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular
    I opened this thread solely because the title made me think "surely that cannot be a reference to the habit my end-users have of opening slack conversations with 'Hello' and then taking five minutes to ask the actual question, while I seethe at the 'end user is typing' message"?

And behold, it was.

• Options
    No official job offer yet but I'm hoping to have one by Monday.

One of my current clients was purchased by a larger company. The larger company fucked up so hard that their IT director was fired and my company was brought back in to support them. Anyway, today they were considering changing WISP providers for a remote site that can't get wire line service of any kind (not even T1s or ISDN). Evidently they've been talking to "some guy" about their local Verizon reselling service. After a bunch of back and forth we discover that they're just offering a cheap mifi device and can't even give them a static IP.

The new IT director for the parent company just asked me why they needed a static IP address.

I can't even, right now.

• Options
    FeldornFeldorn Mediocre Registered User regular
    Nosf wrote: »

ZUT ALORS, LES BITCOINS!

Hold on, I’m adding ‘les bitcoins’ to my rule to dump these damn emails.

They’ve been coming in for months and I’ve explained a couple time how easy it is to spoof an email address. Also, you weren’t hacked but still change your password.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Gaaah, weird-ass slowdowns in the infra. Service A gets timeouts getting stuff from service B, but I can curl that same request just fine from the machine A runs on.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Echo wrote: »
    Gaaah, weird-ass slowdowns in the infra. Service A gets timeouts getting stuff from service B, but I can curl that same request just fine from the machine A runs on.

Friday, 6:30 pm. Push fix to prod, going home.

• Options
    edited October 2019
    Vendor, to me: "we need to whitelist your public IP address"

Me: "can you whitelist a range? We load balance across multiple public IPs"

Vendor's network technician: "sure!"

Me: "34.98.75.225 - 34.98.75.238"

Vendor's network technician: "oh, our firewall doesn't support that format, can you give me the subnet mask?"

Feral on

• Options
    BTW this conversation went through their ticketing system, it wasn't over the phone

If he were on the phone with me doing it in real time and he just didn't want to be arsed to calculate the subnet, fine, I get that.

But he put a note in ServiceNow or whatever asking for the subnet

• Options

Vendor's network technician: "oh, our firewall doesn't support that format, can you give me the subnet mask?"
    “Oh yeah, sure. 34.0.0.0/8”

• Options
    RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    0.0.0.0/0

PSN: jfrofl
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    So uh, there is the very real possibility that I am going to be inheriting caring for the network at my job, as currently well, no one does and it’s basically on fire.

We are looking at a small office of about 30 people. Outside of finishing getting my Network+ and training in our specific hardware (Ubiquiti). What are some good places to look into the fundamentals of getting such a network into a good place?

Like, right now it’s a disaster, a soho modem plugged into our router. No vlan segmentation between our wireless and wired network, etc. I know enough to know that things are odd but not necessarily how important certain things are like cat5e vs cat6 cables or packetshaping to give VOIP priority (we are all software VOIP phone based).

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

• Options
    RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    Not sure that you'll need to go cat6.

Take a look at how the network is setup. How is traffic flowing in and out of the office. What do you have in line? How's the firewall (dear god I hope you have one) configured?
    I imagine since its a small office, the tech budget is basically what you can pull out of the garbage. Might be worth getting into Linux and seeing what open source stuff you can pull down to help secure the network. Maybe an Intrusion Detection. Look into a patch management setup maybe. Are you the only tech person?

PSN: jfrofl
  • Options

I think there's something wrong with me, I just immediately knew that was a /28.

This discussion has been closed.