As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Sysadmin] Routing to null

• Options
    twmjrtwmjr Registered User regular
    TL DR wrote: »
    When a job listing says that the position requires "working knowledge" of a given product, what level of proficiency would you take that to mean?

"Working knowledge of SQL" in an app support position seems like it could mean any number of things. I've done some very light DBA tasks in the past and would be comfortable migrating or restoring instances or writing simple queries, but ughhhhh everything about hiring is terrible

For me, "working knowledge" equates to: Do you know what this is/what it does? Can you do some basic tasks and troubleshooting with it? Would you feel comfortable and able to expand your knowledge on this with experience and further training on it?

• Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    twmjr wrote: »
    When a job listing says that the position requires "working knowledge" of a given product, what level of proficiency would you take that to mean?

"Working knowledge of SQL" in an app support position seems like it could mean any number of things. I've done some very light DBA tasks in the past and would be comfortable migrating or restoring instances or writing simple queries, but ughhhhh everything about hiring is terrible

For me, "working knowledge" equates to: Do you know what this is/what it does? Can you do some basic tasks and troubleshooting with it? Would you feel comfortable and able to expand your knowledge on this with experience and further training on it?

Hell yeah, that's what I was hoping.

• Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    https://ssl-config.mozilla.org/

This is a must-see for anyone setting up web servers.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular

My general take on these has been: is it supported in your environment? Could you learn about it if need be? Apply and be up front about what you think you can do, let them decide. Generally a job posting is some garbage some HR person half filtered through the hiring manager and then copied from a competitor and tells you little.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Yeah, in app support context that reads as "I shouldn't have to explain how SQL works, so if you need to research something you can connect and query if given a data dictionary or similar."

• Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    ime "Working knowledge" means you know enough to be able to google troubleshoot it.

OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    mcpmcp Registered User regular
    Setup the alienvault trial.
    Piped in o365 data.
    Showed management the hundreds of login failures.
    They're cool with rolling out mfa on the quick now.
    That was easier than expected.

What siem are you guys using?

• Options
    MyiagrosMyiagros Registered User regular
    Anyone know of any search alternatives when you have a massive number of files?

Client has over 4 million files in one of their network folders which is giving me a search index database 250GB in size. I personally use a freeware program called Everything and it works great as an admin, but for regular users I would rather give them something simple to use in place of the Explorer search window.

iRevert wrote: »
    Because if you're going to attempt to squeeze that big black monster into your slot you will need to be able to take at least 12 inches or else you're going to have a bad time...
    Steam: MyiagrosX27
  • Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    Does no one know how to refactor their shit?

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    We have an FTPS server that we let some customers access if they need to send us files on an automated basis. I'm migrating it over to a new VM and I did a usage audit and found that some of the accounts for this server have never been used. Others haven't been used in over a year.

Naturally the account managers for those customer relationships are telling me that I need to migrate those customers over anyway (which includes reaching out to them and helping them log in to the new server)

How about

No

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Wow. Coworker told me that a sysadmin he knows at some other company lost 600 hosts this weekend.

The datacenter was 90 degrees C and shit died. (that's 194 in Weirdo Fahrenheit Units)

how does that even happen

• Options
    Echo wrote: »
    Wow. Coworker told me that a sysadmin he knows at some other company lost 600 hosts this weekend.

The datacenter was 90 degrees C and shit died. (that's 194 in Weirdo Fahrenheit Units)

At my old job we lost a whole data center because the cooling system went down.

One of the many reasons it's an old job.

• Options
    RandomHajileRandomHajile Not actually a Snatcher The New KremlinRegistered User regular

Man, a Watchdog device costs like $1200. How did they not know when it hit half that temperature??

• Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    $1200 for one device? We aren't made of money, you know!

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    I can whip up a couple of $8 Arduino devices with monitoring and alerting. Special deal, just $1099!

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Real talk: we might start using raspberry pis for environment monitoring

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    We have a decrepit old environment monitoring system that is way out of support

It isn't our only line of defense. The facilities team has an HVAC vendor that monitors for temperature (not moisture though) so we aren't totally fucked if our ancient enviromonitor fails

But IT has no visibility into the HVAC so that's not ideal.

Something about using Pis and open source software for this appeals to me.

• Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular

Man, a Watchdog device costs like $1200. How did they not know when it hit half that temperature??

They probably did, but that many servers we're probably talking a couple hundred thousand watts and that's going to warm up a sealed room real quick. If it was a sudden total ac failure, by the time a dangerous temperature spike was detected, individual systems may not necessarily still have enough time to automatically safely shut down servers completely before they cooked. And it's not like you can safely send people in there for manual intervention once it hit those kinds of temperatures.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    90C is.... a lot. Like, water boils at 100.

That shouldn't be possible even if the HVAC fails

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    wunderbar wrote: »
    90C is.... a lot. Like, water boils at 100.

That shouldn't be possible even if the HVAC fails

Maybe just the CPU was running at 90C? That's certainly in the realm of possibility.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Feral wrote: »
    We have a decrepit old environment monitoring system that is way out of support

It isn't our only line of defense. The facilities team has an HVAC vendor that monitors for temperature (not moisture though) so we aren't totally fucked if our ancient enviromonitor fails

But IT has no visibility into the HVAC so that's not ideal.

Something about using Pis and open source software for this appeals to me.

Wemos D1 Mini plus an SHT30 shield for measuring temperature and humidity

CHV1ZiGl.jpg

10 bucks or something.

Power over micro USB, connect to wifi, write a quick hack that tracks temperature over MQTT, have a Raspberry or whatever with Node-RED and mosquitto that sends it on to the Grafana/Prometheus data-store of your choice, set up alerting.

I call this "nice weekend project".

Here's the Node-RED dashboard monitoring my living room. (Also get something better than the SHT30, it's absolutely not 25 degrees in here.)

vbdrgdd6h8ai.png

Echo on
  • Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    90 c is real hot.

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    are we sure the building just wasn't actually on fire

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    For real though, stuff like temp monitoring is $$$$ and this is definitely in the realm of DIY for system admins.

We wanted a temperature probe for our fridge to make sure our meds didn't go outside of ranges and it was going to cost us something like $5000 for something that's just a meat thermometer and a gauge outside of the fridge that can send alerts to emails. If we wanted the cell phone card in case the power went out (likely if the fridge falls outside of a range) that added like another $3000 or something dumb.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    bowen wrote: »
    For real though, stuff like temp monitoring is $$$$ and this is definitely in the realm of DIY for system admins.

We wanted a temperature probe for our fridge to make sure our meds didn't go outside of ranges and it was going to cost us something like $5000 for something that's just a meat thermometer and a gauge outside of the fridge that can send alerts to emails. If we wanted the cell phone card in case the power went out (likely if the fridge falls outside of a range) that added like another $3000 or something dumb.

Yeah, can confirm. Unfortunately there is a specific hardware vendor that some of our research partners require us to use that outputs the historical temp data in some truly awful format.

• Options
    mcpmcp Registered User regular
    We used the room alert products by avtech at my last job. Wasn't crazy expensive, and seemed to work fine

• Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    Yeah we use room alert here, but I'm super interested in what you come up with @Feral because I need to replace the one we have because it's super old, so old I can't even update it.

Also, in cases where server room AC has failed, our server room has climbed to 120 F pretty quickly, before I get the door open and start blowing cool air into it with warehouse fans (I can bring it down to 78 or so that way). I think the big thing is that there's nowhere for the hot air coming out of the servers to go, so they're just recycling and re-heating it.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    RandomHajileRandomHajile Not actually a Snatcher The New KremlinRegistered User regular
    I guess if I was in the situation where I could lose 600 hosts to near water-boiling temperatures, I would do my best to automate shutting them down at a certain temperature long before that. Seems like something that would be worth the time and/or money to invest in.

• Options
    edited July 2019
    So in the situation where the heat was going nuts I ran an external sensor outside of one of the boxes and set it to text who was on call.

We knew about the next one before anyone else in the building.

Seidkona on
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Thawmus wrote: »
    Yeah we use room alert here, but I'm super interested in what you come up with @Feral because I need to replace the one we have because it's super old, so old I can't even update it.

Also, in cases where server room AC has failed, our server room has climbed to 120 F pretty quickly, before I get the door open and start blowing cool air into it with warehouse fans (I can bring it down to 78 or so that way). I think the big thing is that there's nowhere for the hot air coming out of the servers to go, so they're just recycling and re-heating it.

This is not a server room. This is putting your stuff in the broom closet and hoping for the best.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »

This is not a server room. This is putting your stuff in the broom closet and hoping for the best.

Oh I'll be the first to say we don't have a proper server room. There was talk of building a proper one years ago and then it fizzled into nothing due to cost.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    First place I worked in, back in 2006 (fack I'm getting old), had their servers in a converted file room. there was a rack, and newer servers that were rack mounted were in there, but the older servers were all tower servers, and were all sitting on a bread rack. Literally, a bread rack.

About 8 months later we built a proper server room in the building.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular

Oh I'll be the first to say we don't have a proper server room. There was talk of building a proper one years ago and then it fizzled into nothing due to cost.

I'm assuming, based on your original story, that the door doesn't have any sort of louvred vent for air exchanges? And I'm also assuming that's because "people complain about the fan noise".

• Options
    So I think it is well past the time where we start handing our UUIDs instead of names to new humans at birth.

• Options
    edited July 2019
    User: hey [sharepoint guy], please delete library\folder1 and library\folder2 from our sharepoint site, we don't need these folders anymore.

[sharepoint guy]: Sounds good. Deletes entire library :rotate:

That was a fun half an hour until we got it back up.

wunderbar on
  • Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »

I'm assuming, based on your original story, that the door doesn't have any sort of louvred vent for air exchanges? And I'm also assuming that's because "people complain about the fan noise".

As a counter example, our small on-site server room has no open venting as a requirement of the "electronics-safe" fire suppression system in it.

Years and years ago, I worked at a place that had their mainframes housed in a reinforced concrete bunker. The door was at least 2 feet thick and I recall it took the motors a good 30 seconds to open. Always reminded me of that giant Encom door from Tron. The first day they gave me a tour of the place and after being introduced to the techs that actually worked in that room all day, got the dire warning about how if you were ever in there when the Halon alarms went off, you'd have about 20 seconds to reach the oxygen masks before you passed out and died. Always been rather glad I've never had to work with Halon since.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    wunderbar wrote: »
    User: hey [sharepoint guy], please delete library\folder1 and library\folder2 from our sharepoint site, we don't need these folders anymore.

[sharepoint guy]: Sounds good. Deletes entire library :rotate:

That was a fun half an hour until we got it back up.

He accomplished what was asked of him. 10/10

• Options
    It's always DNS inside of the Docker container.

• Options
    Dizzy DDizzy D NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    Story from a couple of years ago. One of our customers had a large office near my hometown and a smaller office a bit further away. Usually I was at the main office, but occasionally I needed to go to the smaller office for a printer or something. Smaller office had like 20 people in it and a small server in a small locked supply room. This office was at the fifth floor in a larger building.

Arriving there in the afternoon, the receptionist greets me: "Good you are here, there is dust on the server. Can you check if it's still working?"

Sure, I'll go check. I open the door and everything is covered in white dust. The outside wall has four holes in it, each about 10-20 cm in diameter (again, this is on the fifth floor). Turns out the building next to it was being demolished and they accidentally hit our building. The server was still running (and luckily I had already moved all of its roles to VMs at our data-center as we upgraded the network line a couple of months earlier and a local server was no longer needed).

Steam/Origin: davydizzy
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
This discussion has been closed.