[Sysadmin] Windows attempts to mirror late 90's Linux technology.

1686970717274»

• Dizzy DDizzy D NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »
    What is the "sane" reason why Outlook keeps a delayed-send email in my local Outbox instead of on the server?

Depends if you're in Cached Modus or Online Modus. In Online Modus it is kept on the server. But yeah, makes no sense.

Steam/Origin: davydizzy
  • SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    edited July 31
    SMTP itself and thus Exchange doesn't have functionality for delayed send. So that ability was created purely in the Outlook client, which is why the application has to be running for it to work. I don't know what MS does to make it work for O365 accounts through the web interface front end (or Outlook in online mode), but it's not a general thing they implemented as their outlook.com email accounts don't have delayed send functionality either.

SiliconStew on
    Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
    Feral
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    I've been writing Powershell scripts to run jobs in our business automation systems, building them to return JSON output, and then passing that JSON output over to other automation systems.

This feels like programming.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.
    the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
    Carpy
  • LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Feral wrote: »
    I've been writing Powershell scripts to run jobs in our business automation systems, building them to return JSON output, and then passing that JSON output over to other automation systems.

I have some bad news for you...

Thawmuswunderbar
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    LD50 wrote: »

?

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.
  • AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular

?

yer a programmer, harry

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
    LD50DrovekThat_GuyCarpyDizzy DThawmusInfideljungleroomxBlackDragon480thatassemblyguyMugsley
  • schussschuss Registered User regular
    Aioua wrote: »

?

yer a programmer, harry

Not just that, they sound like.... microservices.

Thawmus

?

yer a programmer, harry

why is this bad news

• ThawmusThawmus Registered User regular

?

yer a programmer, harry

why is this bad news

Cuz now you gotta leave!

Or something!

I dunno, I don't make the rules. We leave that shit to fucking programmers.

steam_sig.png
    Feral
  • LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    5 years from now, you will get a call at 3 am. Someone at your old job has made a change, and now one of your automation scripts broke. Nobody's done the process manually for 5 years, and now nobody knows how to do it and they're panicing.

ThawmusFeldornMugsleyThegreatcow
    5 years from now, you will get a call at 3 am. Someone at your old job has made a change, and now one of your automation scripts broke. Nobody's done the process manually for 5 years, and now nobody knows how to do it and they're panicing.

And that's when you get to charge $500/hr consulting fees!

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    DrovekRandomHajileThawmusBlackDragon480LD50Mugsley
    schuss wrote: »

?

yer a programmer, harry

I'm scared to say this in the programming threads, but I actually like microservices.

Maybe cause I come from IT land so undocumented operational issues don't bother me anywhere near as much as undocumented piles of code.

Darkewolfe

?

yer a programmer, harry

I'm scared to say this in the programming threads, but I actually like microservices.

Maybe cause I come from IT land so undocumented operational issues don't bother me anywhere near as much as undocumented piles of code.

Oh they're fine when done right, it's just you often have devs who think functions=individual services rather than thinking through what the service mix should be for the application function and where you want your integration breaks to be.

BlackDragon480FeldornFeralCronoCola
    Coincidentally, I just looked up an old website I developed back in 2012 or so (and was still live several months ago) and just found that the company completely replaced it with a turnkey solution. (Kind of like Squarespace, but more specific for their industry, and more sophisticated with online job applications and such.)

I'm slightly sad but they literally did nothing to maintain the content or design of the old site, so I'm not that sad. I'm also not at all surprised.

• Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Oh they're fine when done right, it's just you often have [People A] who think [X = Y] rather than thinking through what [X and Y actually are] and [how they should properly work together].

FTFY

Drovek
  • lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    Love waking up to find out an update messed up Exchange. Good times. Good times.

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
    LD50
    Oh they're fine when done right, it's just you often have [People A] who think [X = Y] rather than thinking through what [X and Y actually are] and [how they should properly work together].

FTFY

Oh yeah, humans are at least 90% of most problems.