As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Tom Clancy's [The Division] 2: The Division x Resident Evil Crossover Feb 2 - 15

• Options
    NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular
    The gear balance in general seems borked to me.
    I found gloves that were identical to my current ones in every way possible.
    Except that they were 11 levels higher, and worse in every way possible.
    I just changed my 250 chest armor for a 330+ one, and it was a marginal upgrade at best.

This game has the same problem as Borderlands had, bazillion items, couple of them actually useful.
    Maybe not quite as bad, but pretty close.

• Options
    OpposingFarceOpposingFarce Registered User regular
    Nyysjan wrote: »
    I just changed my 250 chest armor for a 330+ one, and it was a marginal upgrade at best.

This game has the same problem as Borderlands had, bazillion items, couple of them actually useful.

It would probably help to have less overlap between RNG ranges with GS number. Like GS 500 values should overlap with 499 and 501, not 485-500.

• Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    Yeah, that would be nice but it would also make it feel harder to progress because the one item with the rolls you want or that's in your set that you can use is now significantly weaker than the rest of the set and the like.

I've been using a sub 500 piece for a while simply because it had the rolls I wanted in the set I was using. The RNG-frustration of the situation would be worse for everyone.

If only there was a mechanic to directly increase the gear score of an item. /ponder.

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All Bacons Washington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular
    Yeah, that would be nice but it would also make it feel harder to progress because the one item with the rolls you want or that's in your set that you can use is now significantly weaker than the rest of the set and the like.

I've been using a sub 500 piece for a while simply because it had the rolls I wanted in the set I was using. The RNG-frustration of the situation would be worse for everyone.

If only there was a mechanic to directly increase the gear score of an item. /ponder.

Seriously, I don't see how I can give up that Gila guard backpack that was sold from the DZ vendor recently. It singlehandedly gives me 33.5% additional armor!! Like...there is nothing I can get from a single piece of armor that will match that in any real capacity without some equally god like rolls, and it's an ilvl 476 item.

• Options
    Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular

Seriously, I don't see how I can give up that Gila guard backpack that was sold from the DZ vendor recently. It singlehandedly gives me 33.5% additional armor!! Like...there is nothing I can get from a single piece of armor that will match that in any real capacity without some equally god like rolls, and it's an ilvl 476 item.

My only problem is it doesn't have the talents I want on it. I've been playing around trying to get those talents on other pieces though.

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All Bacons Washington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular
    Banzai5150 wrote: »

My only problem is it doesn't have the talents I want on it. I've been playing around trying to get those talents on other pieces though.

Yeah it's pretty pad on everything else (I think like only 1% crit chance or something? I've had to make it up on other gear pieces. But hot damn as an LMG user, that extra armor is tops.

• Options
    rndmherorndmhero Registered User regular
    edited July 2019

It would probably help to have less overlap between RNG ranges with GS number. Like GS 500 values should overlap with 499 and 501, not 485-500.

The way they redid the GS system is just dumb and needlessly convoluted.

In Division 1, the World Tier of an item determined the stat values (armor value, attribute range, etc) that could roll on an item, and the collective strength of those rolls was used to assign a gear score. This meant that, within a given World Tier, a GS 285 item was always going to be "better" than a GS 260 item (better meaning it possessed higher cumulative stat rolls, not necessarily better for your desired build). When you optimized the individual stats on an item, you could watch the GS total then go up in sync. This was pretty intuitive, and it made GS useful as a shorthand for how "good" a drop was.

In Division 2, the maximum GS of the current gear you possess determines the GS of a piece that drops. That GS then determines the stat value "pool" the piece can roll from. So a GS 500 item might roll the minimum value from every attribute and still be considered GS 500, even through it's fucking trash. What's worse, they massively increased the potential range that most stats can roll in, further exacerbating the RNG element. This creates the frequent case where a GS 470 item that rolled the maximum values available from its "pool" is far, far better than a GS 500 item that rolled poorly, but there is absolutely nothing in the game itself to indicate that unless you sit down and do the math. It's just both counterintuitive and a massive step back from Div 1 from a usability standpoint.

rndmhero on
  • Options
    rndmhero wrote: »

In Division 1, the World Tier of an item determined the stat values (armor value, attribute range, etc) that could roll on an item, and the collective strength of those rolls was used to assign a gear score. This meant that, within a given World Tier, a GS 285 item was always going to be "better" than a GS 260 item (better meaning it possessed higher cumulative stat rolls, not necessarily better for your desired build). When you optimized the individual stats on an item, you could watch the GS total then go up in sync. This was pretty intuitive, and it made GS useful as a shorthand for how "good" a drop was.

In Division 2, the maximum GS of the current gear you possess determines the GS of a piece that drops. That GS then determines the stat value "pool" the piece can roll from. So a GS 500 item might roll the minimum value from every attribute and still be considered GS 500, even through it's fucking trash. What's worse, they massively increased the potential range that most stats can roll in, further exacerbating the RNG element. This creates the frequent case where a GS 470 item that rolled the maximum values available from its "pool" is far, far better than a GS 500 item that rolled poorly, but there is absolutely nothing in the game itself to indicate that unless you sit down and do the math. It's just both counterintuitive and a massive step back from Div 1 from a usability standpoint.

Yeah I have to admit I kind of dread trudging back to headquarters when my inventory maxes out and sorting through things one by one confirming whether or not they're actual stat upgrades or not. Then the inevitable hunt of "well I lose this stat, but gain this perk and how does this help my build and can I re calibrate this onto etc etc"

Turns into a 20-40 minute affair depending on how many things I have to sort through. Weapons at least are fairly easy right now as I'm pretty sure i've rolled the top end stats for my black market m60, but otherwise I either end up salvaging/selling everything after sorting through it for an interminable amount of time.

• Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    Anyone else dealing with no dialogue happening when you hover over a mission icon on the map?

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular

Yeah I have to admit I kind of dread trudging back to headquarters when my inventory maxes out and sorting through things one by one confirming whether or not they're actual stat upgrades or not. Then the inevitable hunt of "well I lose this stat, but gain this perk and how does this help my build and can I re calibrate this onto etc etc"

Turns into a 20-40 minute affair depending on how many things I have to sort through. Weapons at least are fairly easy right now as I'm pretty sure i've rolled the top end stats for my black market m60, but otherwise I either end up salvaging/selling everything after sorting through it for an interminable amount of time.

It's the 100 slots in the storage that really stressed me out.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Spoit wrote: »

It's the 100 slots in the storage that really stressed me out.

Definitely, those 100 slots fill up damn quick, worse is when I max out both my inventory AND my mod slot inventory. Then it's a massive slog of figuring out what to get rid off through 200 items of potential crap.

• Options
    Sometimes it feels like this game should have jakety sax as background music.
    Enemy is in cover, i am in cover, neither can shoot the other, so i move to get a shot, enemy moves to new, cover, i move again, they move again, i move again, they move again, and in the end we are both running around in a circle and nothing gets done.

• Options
    OpposingFarceOpposingFarce Registered User regular
    Sometimes it feels like this game should have jakety sax as background music.
    Enemy is in cover, i am in cover, neither can shoot the other, so i move to get a shot, enemy moves to new, cover, i move again, they move again, i move again, they move again, and in the end we are both running around in a circle and nothing gets done.

The fact that all factions fill their ranks with Olympic speed runners is frustrating, to say the least.

• Options
    Main problem is that i have to kill every last one of the enemy to get the activity done, and they can sometimes be several blocks away from the actual activity area.
    The running in circles i just kinda funny.

Enemy running away should count as them being out of the fight.

• Options
    Main problem is that i have to kill every last one of the enemy to get the activity done, and they can sometimes be several blocks away from the actual activity area.
    The running in circles i just kinda funny.

Enemy running away should count as them being out of the fight.

Dear god this. I was clearing a control point when an elite supply convoy walked in on me. After a hectic fight, I managed to blow everything down except for one hyena blitzer who had somehow gotten themselves 2 blocks away stuck inside a building which was the last person I needed to clear the convoy. I kept repeating the "why are running!?!" meme over and over in my head.

• Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular

There is a great couple of videos out there which give you a good guideline to stop hoarding trash. I’d go look em up but about to board a plane. Watch them and go with that info. I salvage 90% of my drops

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    darkmayo wrote: »

There is a great couple of videos out there which give you a good guideline to stop hoarding trash. I’d go look em up but about to board a plane. Watch them and go with that info. I salvage 90% of my drops

Cheers thanks. I'll do some digging.

• Options
    I don't know why Darkmayo doesn't spend $20 per mb to find this video for you.

• Options
    For anyone working on the Liberty, DZ East vendor is selling D50s this week.

• Options

Definitely get this now, even if you don't think the gun is great because you need a HE D50 make Liberty and the drops on that are famine until you get your first.

• Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular

Definitely get this now, even if you don't think the gun is great because you need a HE D50 make Liberty and the drops on that are famine until you get your first.

The Liberty is great as a holster ornament for LMGs and high capacity ARs. It is worth the time to obtain.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    And lo they are all finally done. Aside from the spectre mask giving no endless amount of grief. Adrian Shepard is now a bit more crazy, but with a lot more dakka.
    aukggygj1x5q.png

.....kinda wish I could still wear my swat helmet with it though....

• Options
    How accurate is the Divisionbuilder.com? On a lark last night I went ahead and put in my gear and stats and came out with a potential max dps of 930k with 296k armor and 92k health. Is that good? I honestly wasn't sure how to compare it to the rest of the builds or whether it's "raid viable" or not. My two lmgs and Liberty kills stuff goodfully, but I honestly don't have a frame of reference for it.

• Options
    edited July 2019
    Bit of a drought this week leading up to the TU but Episode 1 drops for people with the pass 7/23, and is available 7/30 for those without. They also mentioned this mechanic (quoting the SToG thread from reddit):
    Shepherd Reward System – Call for Backup
    • The Shepherd system is designed to encourage players to support each other and reward them for lending a helping hand.
    • Answer Calls for Backup, get endorsements from the players you help once you've finished and raise your Shepherd level.
    • You'll need to actively help for a while to raise your Shepherd level, you can't just drop in and drop out straight away. There is an "Assistance bar" that fills up when you earn XP together with the person you're helping.
    • There's a timer under the SHD tab on the mega map. Once it resets, you get a reward if you've raised your Shepherd level.
    • When you've helped enough players, you will get an icon next to your name so that other players can see that you're a Shepherd!
    • Go help other agents and be excellent to each other.
    • Shepherd-Rank can go up to level 99 and you get rewarded with Apparel Items as you level up.
    • You can unlock commendations and patches.

Seems interesting. Wonder how many people will become shepherds helping a player kill another player in the DZ ;p

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    How accurate is the Divisionbuilder.com? On a lark last night I went ahead and put in my gear and stats and came out with a potential max dps of 930k with 296k armor and 92k health. Is that good? I honestly wasn't sure how to compare it to the rest of the builds or whether it's "raid viable" or not. My two lmgs and Liberty kills stuff goodfully, but I honestly don't have a frame of reference for it.

Those raw numbers are pretty good, about where most of my builds (and "good" builds in general) sit. Some more optimization could probably get your DPS up a bit higher, but what you have is fine. The bigger thing is then what talents do you have active with that build? If you can keep spotter/unstoppable/OTR up with those numbers, that's a beast. If you have to lose talents to hit it, it's not.

Raid builds are mostly about stacking DtE with a goal of 70%+, since most of the raid is DPS checks spent dumping rounds into a bigass elite dude.

• Options
    edited July 2019

Those raw numbers are pretty good, about where most of my builds (and "good" builds in general) sit. Some more optimization could probably get your DPS up a bit higher, but what you have is fine. The bigger thing is then what talents do you have active with that build? If you can keep spotter/unstoppable/OTR up with those numbers, that's a beast. If you have to lose talents to hit it, it's not.

Raid builds are mostly about stacking DtE with a goal of 70%+, since most of the raid is DPS checks spent dumping rounds into a bigass elite dude.

Crap the link I used to generate the build is on my home computer, but let me see if I can recall some of the hight points:

-both lmgs are running unhinged/allegro
    -I have a 1pc Gila Guard bonus for Extra Armor
    -Mask is running 48% damage to elites with the 1pc Badger Tuff bonus and 41% damage to elite stat
    -I know I'm getting +40% LMG damage from my gloves, petrov chest and gunner bonuses
    -Total DTE I think is running around 70% but again I'm fuzzy on the exact numbers
    -Weapon damage is somewhere in the 30% range

I definitely don't have unstoppable/on the ropes or the "Spotter" perk. In fact I don't think I've ever seen that perk. What does it do?

I'll get the link from the builder tonight and post here.

Thegreatcow on
  • Options
    m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular

Crap the link I used to generate the build is on my home computer, but let me see if I can recall some of the hight points:

-Mask is running 48% damage to elites with the 1pc Badger Tuff bonus and 41% damage to elite stat
    -I know I'm getting +40% LMG damage from my gloves, petrov chest and gunner bonuses
    -Total DTE I think is running around 70% but again I'm fuzzy on the exact numbers

I definitely don't have unstoppable/on the ropes or the "Spotter" perk. In fact I don't think I've ever seen that perk. What does it do?

Unstoppable gives you a damage buff after killing an enemy. This is great when dumping belts of LMG ammo into clumps of enemies because they go down so much quicker. Spotter gives you a damage bonus to any enemies that have been marked by the Pulse skill (doesn't have to be you marking them). On the Ropes gives a 25% damage bonus if both of your skills are on cooldown.

So the way the synergy works is: you need lots of damage mitigation, i.e. blue pips, so find armor with Unstoppable for free damage, then run pulse and another easy to fire long cooldown skill (I usually use seeker mines for the fire and forget on them and they hit cooldown within a few seconds of deploying, though firefly works okay here too if you can target stuff). So when you have Spotter active, you have a damage bonus, then throw out your mine and when spotter wears off you have the On the Ropes damage bonus. I also try to shoe-horn in the reload talent on my holster (since I use an LMG main and large mag fast firing AR for secondary) so I don't have to deal with the LMG reload. I also keep Liberty as my sidearm for the free bullets when breaking weakpoints. I can just about solo/stunlock a heavy gunner on Challenging by breaking his belt and then shooting the head. Sometimes I might need to switch to the AR to finish him off but those free bullets are great. I also try to run Compensated on my gloves, since I have very few red pips, I had terrible crit chance so may as well get more free damage.

• Options
    m!ttens wrote: »

Unstoppable gives you a damage buff after killing an enemy. This is great when dumping belts of LMG ammo into clumps of enemies because they go down so much quicker. Spotter gives you a damage bonus to any enemies that have been marked by the Pulse skill (doesn't have to be you marking them). On the Ropes gives a 25% damage bonus if both of your skills are on cooldown.

So the way the synergy works is: you need lots of damage mitigation, i.e. blue pips, so find armor with Unstoppable for free damage, then run pulse and another easy to fire long cooldown skill (I usually use seeker mines for the fire and forget on them and they hit cooldown within a few seconds of deploying, though firefly works okay here too if you can target stuff). So when you have Spotter active, you have a damage bonus, then throw out your mine and when spotter wears off you have the On the Ropes damage bonus. I also try to shoe-horn in the reload talent on my holster (since I use an LMG main and large mag fast firing AR for secondary) so I don't have to deal with the LMG reload. I also keep Liberty as my sidearm for the free bullets when breaking weakpoints. I can just about solo/stunlock a heavy gunner on Challenging by breaking his belt and then shooting the head. Sometimes I might need to switch to the AR to finish him off but those free bullets are great. I also try to run Compensated on my gloves, since I have very few red pips, I had terrible crit chance so may as well get more free damage.

Damn that unstoppable sounds pretty darn sweet. What armor piece will it appear on? I'd like to preserve my Petrov 1pc bonus for my LMGs, but hopefully I can find something with it on it.

• Options
    m!ttens wrote: »

Damn that unstoppable sounds pretty darn sweet. What armor piece will it appear on? I'd like to preserve my Petrov 1pc bonus for my LMGs, but hopefully I can find something with it on it.

Unstoppable rolls on chest and is one of the best DPS talents for an LMG build. If you can recalibrate it onto a Petrov chest, you should. It's also nice because you don't have to do anything special to build around it. It's just there... then you shoot stuff. Done.

Spotter and OTR are a lot more of a pain in the ass. You have to have 7 yellow on your build, then change your skills to support it, then spam your skills constantly. I get that it works and buffs your total DPS, but I honestly just hate what it does to your playstyle.

• Options
    Alrighty here's my division builder. The first LMG is using the 50 mag pouch, I didn't realize I could include the one you get from gunner spec, but it wouldn't let me change it back:

https://www.divisionbuilder.com/builds/pC29EudTFIUGLiMMjWro

• Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    Update 5 should be out today, if it isn't already. Skill builds now viable/potentially bonkers, new content, I think the two new exotics and some other. I don't remember if everyone has it or if only the pass guys have it today.

will login later and blow some stuff up, hope to see you PC folks online.

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    The episodes are the only thing that should be unavailable to players w/o the pass today.

• Options
    BitTWistBitTWist Kitsap CountyRegistered User regular
    Been so busy, haven't had time to play much in the last couple weeks. Luckily tomorrow has some free time, and will get to check out all the new stuff/changes.

3DS:2552-1222-3225 / PSN:BitTwist
  • Options
    There are new achievements that are hilariously spoilery for the original campaign... like... maybe those should have been secret even though it was kind of obvious.

• Options
    Genji-GlovesGenji-Gloves Registered User regular
    Oooh I’ll have to check out the update. Heatwave event couldn’t be more on point at the moment, literally been roasting all day.

• Options
    SirialisSirialis of the Halite Throne. Registered User regular
    This apparel stuff looks awful.

• Options
    edited July 2019
    What? SOCKS WITH SANDALS is very SHD agent.

edit: feels like they were shooting for a July 4th release but missed it with the Americana gear.

Also scuba time.

Raincoat not hiding chest armor is a miss.

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    For those of us unable to log in at work, is there a link to the fashion crimes?

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    What? SOCKS WITH SANDALS is very SHD agent.

edit: feels like they were shooting for a July 4th release but missed it with the Americana gear.

Also scuba time.

Raincoat not hiding chest armor is a miss.

socks with sandals is like a required get for me since I live in the pacific northwest

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    edited July 2019
    The event page is here https://tomclancy-thedivision.ubisoft.com/game/en-gb/news-updates/352760/apparel-event-3-heat-wave but it doesn't show much beyond an amazing hawaiian-style shirt that I must have

tctd2_heatwave_960x540_353389.jpg

Snicketysnick on
    7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO