As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PlayStation 5] It's out now! Commence de-boxing.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    They launched the One X (and Pro) as a mid cycle refresh. The Series S is not being marketed to people interested in One X/Series X. It's to have a 300 dollar box on the shelves for Xmas 2020.

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    They launched the One X (and Pro) as a mid cycle refresh. The Series S is not being marketed to people interested in One X/Series X. It's to have a 300 dollar box on the shelves for Xmas 2020.

And so long as Series X is getting games, the Series S will as well... at 1080p, with upscaling, HDR, Ray Tracing.

It's honestly not a bad strategy. This could become a sub 200 dollar box in a year or two, and play the latest Madden/R* games as well as being a solid media device for the TV its connected to.

The "kids room" box that shares savegames with the 4K box in the living room playing the same games?

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    That said, I am now fiercely curious to see how Sony responds. They have been playing this dumb standoff out for months now, time to deliver.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    I think the plan with the S is to get an early headstart.

That can be risky because as the PS5 price drops it'll depreciate faster and faster.

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    I looked up some data on this just now. I'm not entirely sure which websites to trust, but it doesn't seem like 4k tv penetration is very high. One article was saying it's not even going to hit 50% in the US until 2023.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    I looked up some data on this just now. I'm not entirely sure which websites to trust, but it doesn't seem like 4k tv penetration is very high. One article was saying it's not even going to hit 50% in the US until 2023.

I can believe that, purely based on people I know. Most people won’t upgrade to 4K until their old tv breaks, and 4K is the default replacement.

I think it’s mostly movie enthusiasts and gamers who were mostly likely to make the upgrade voluntarily (I upgraded when I got my Xbox One X).

And I bet you would be AMAZED/horrified at the number of people with ‘hd ready’ TVs running at 720p who think they actually have a HD tv.

I think a lot of people simply don’t know the difference.

• Options

That might be the thing here - enthusiasts want all the bells and whistles, Dolby atmos, 4K with variable refresh support, Dolby vision, etc etc.

But lots of consoles are hooked up directly to a 1080p or 720p set using the TV speakers.

People get the new console because they want to play the new game. If they can spend 300 instead of 500+ to play the new game, and they don’t notice the difference? It’s really hard to argue that the 300 dollar box is a bad deal, especially if the price can decrease over time like any console normally does.

I think this specific machine might not be for us - folks hanging out on an ancient game forum. But it might sell like hot cakes to the masses.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    M-Vickers wrote: »
    And I bet you would be AMAZED/horrified at the number of people with ‘hd ready’ TVs running at 720p who think they actually have a HD tv.

Isn't the problem here that 720p IS "HD", while 1080p is actually labeled as FHD?

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular

That's fairly worthless speculation without a reliable source. Taking a quick look for the same info I saw one study that expected 50% in the US to happen this year (article was from January). I didn't see any data from anywhere I was familiar with and would definitely trust though.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    M-Vickers wrote: »

I can believe that, purely based on people I know. Most people won’t upgrade to 4K until their old tv breaks, and 4K is the default replacement.

I think it’s mostly movie enthusiasts and gamers who were mostly likely to make the upgrade voluntarily (I upgraded when I got my Xbox One X).

In defence of people running stuff at 720, most cable TV boxes still have it as their max output. I can either set my box for either 720p or 1080i... and I'm still not 100% sure which is the best answer (I'm 99% sure it's 720 though). And then I get to have the argument with the family when a lot of channels have enormous borders on both the sides and top/bottom with "Why have this enormous TV if it's only going to use friggin' half of it.

But yeah, the only reason I got a 4K TV was because we were "forced" to. IE: Need a new TV, 4K is the default now. And... couldn't fuckin' tell you the difference between 1080 and 4K.

There's no reason not to get one these days when you're buying a new TV. The trick is... there's no reason to buy a new TV period for so many people.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    This seems surprising to me. I'm admittedly an outlier. I buy tech that appeals to me and has a measurable positive effect, fairly early in the life cycle. Of course, I also buy near the top-of-the line so that I don't need to constantly refresh every few years. I mean, when I bought my LG OLED 2 years ago, it replaced a 15-year old HD plasma set purchased in 2004. (Funny story, about that old plasma TV - it was only advertised as a 720i set which was technically "HD" but happily synced to the 1080p signal from an external TiVo tuner and, later, the PS4.) So, of course I'm going to have a 4k set TODAY - and I'm going to use it until it literally dies or something significantly better comes along. (And 8k isn't it.)

26904.png
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Ketar wrote: »

That's fairly worthless speculation without a reliable source. Taking a quick look for the same info I saw one study that expected 50% in the US to happen this year (article was from January). I didn't see any data from anywhere I was familiar with and would definitely trust though.

That's true, which is why I look up a lot of them, and they all seemed sort of similar. The main thing I took away from it is that it hasn't even hit 50% now.

Which sort of answers that much earlier question of "I would think most people have 4k equipment by now since I had to upgrade everything when I moved and couldn't even buy a 1080p tv anymore" (paraphrasing)

It would seem that most people, right now, are not upgrading. What it will be like in the future is still uncertain.

So the Series S may end up being really popular. Time will tell.

Anecdotally I still have two 1080p monitors and I'm not super interested in getting a 4k one. I need to upgrade my computer and I'm not even sure if I'm going to aim for higher than 1080p or not. I don't really feel like I need it. I don't get new tvs, I just hook my consoles up to the monitor.

Accordingly I'm not interested in the ps5 for its 4k capability, but for it's other features.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    I can tell you that getting a 144hz or higher monitor makes a HUGE difference even if it's 1080p. 60hz is so slow now.

• Options
    M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    I can tell you that getting a 144hz or higher monitor makes a HUGE difference even if it's 1080p. 60hz is so slow now.

Hell, I’m just looking forward to 60fps in games.

Maybe, combined with the new lower-latency controllers, I can finally get good at action games.

I hope Assassins Creed Odyssey get an update, as I have some side quests and achievements still to mop up, and I’d love to do so in 4K at 60 FPS.

I’m looking forward to the first wave of Digital Foundry videos when the consoles launch, to get a real breakdown of what we’re getting for our money. I imagine they’ll have advance consoles, though, so they’re ready on day one. They seem on good terms Microsoft at the moment, and I can imagine Sony wanting them to get a PS5 early so as not to hand unopposed attention to the X and S in the early days of release.

2 months to go, I am so ready.

• Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    Consistent 60FPS across all consoles as standard would really be something great and I think that at least striving for that across all videogames would be revelatory for the gaming experience, which thankfully looks to be something the big manufacturers are gunning for. Even 20-30 frames beyond that can give a huge benefit to responsiveness and performance, though I think the benefit plateaus a bit past 3 digits, and I think the market of televisions that actually support that are even smaller than the market for 4K televisions in of itself.

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »
    That said, I am now fiercely curious to see how Sony responds. They have been playing this dumb standoff out for months now, time to deliver.

Come on man, I’m sure we’re only days away from the Knack 3 announcement.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular

Mine flips this.

Mine is 1080hz.

But the resolution is only 1x30.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    I only bought a 4k tv this year because my 5 year old tv just died out of the blue. I bought a cheap one from best buy with the fewest bells and whistles I could find because all of that stuff will be deprecated and just quit working at some point, probably before my tv dies and I need to buy a new one.

While the penetration of 4k might be only 50% in the next few years, what percentage of the video game playing demographic has 4k? I would bet it is already 50% or even higher.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    furlion wrote: »
    I only bought a 4k tv this year because my 5 year old tv just died out of the blue. I bought a cheap one from best buy with the fewest bells and whistles I could find because all of that stuff will be deprecated and just quit working at some point, probably before my tv dies and I need to buy a new one.

While the penetration of 4k might be only 50% in the next few years, what percentage of the video game playing demographic has 4k? I would bet it is already 50% or even higher.

I know this isn't a direct apples to apple comparison, but over on the PC side, 4K adoption is way, way below 1080p.

According to Steam Hardware Surveys from last month:
    1080p - 65.55%
    1366x768 - 9.53%
    1440p - 6.59%
    4K - 2.24%

Even for gamers, its been hard to justify going out and buying a 4K TV just for gaming if you already have a decent sized 1080p TV. Especially when you factor in that that you'd need to drop the cash for a Pro or X to get the most out of it. Especially when the review sites all point out that neither half-step console was super great at the 4K part.

ronzo on
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    ronzo wrote: »
    furlion wrote: »

I know this isn't a direct apples to apple comparison, but over on the PC side, 4K adoption is way, way below 1080p.

According to Steam Hardware Surveys from last month:
    1080p - 65.55%
    1366x768 - 9.53%
    1440p - 6.59%
    4K - 2.24%

Even for gamers, its been hard to justify going out and buying a 4K TV just for gaming if you already have a decent sized 1080p TV. Especially when you factor in that that you'd need to drop the cash for a Pro or X to get the most out of it. Especially when the review sites all point out that neither half-step console was super great at the 4K part.

4K adoption is low on PC for a few reasons. The biggest being there’s currently only one video card that can reliably run games at 60+ fps and it’s two thousand dollars.

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    Yeah 4K pc monitors are a whole other story, they’re a lot more expensive than 4K TVs and require way more powerful computers to run compared to say wanting to watch 4K sports, movies or console games

I am a bit surprised by how few people have 1440p monitors tho. I’d guess that would increase faster than 4K monitor adoption

• Options
    Like I said, not apples to apples, monitors are currently priced at what TV's were about 3-4 years ago (for the good ones).

Also, while you need a 2080S or 2080ti to get 60+fps, to get something similar to the consoles you would only need a 2060/5700xt/2070S, because you only need to hit a stable 30fps or to match the pro/X

I mostly brought it up to show exactly how poor the adoption rate is. Without the data, I would have assumed something closer to 10-20% adoption. I would assume something similar with TV's, as the big mover for a lot of people the last few years is that the larger sizes keep getting more and more affordable. Going from 40 to 55, or 48 to 65 inches is a much more noticeable jump for most people.

I would hazard a guess that the PS5/XSX will be a important factor in driving more people to upgrade, rather than a ton of people going "finally, something that fully uses this"

• Options
    StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    edited September 2020
    This is super interesting to me!! I had to replace my (really old) 1920x1200 monitor the was damaged in the move - it had two or three vertical lines that didn't work and I'd been suffering along using it until funds became available for a frivolous purchase like a new monitor - and, again, the cost difference between a 1080p screen and a 1440p screen was minimal so why not get the "better" one??

I was moving up from a 22" to a 27" and it made sense to have more pixels since the screen was getting bigger too.

Stupid on

26904.png
  • Options
    Stupid wrote: »
    This is super interesting to me!! I had to replace my (really old) 1920x1200 monitor the was damaged in the move - it had two or three vertical lines that didn't work and I'd been suffering along using it until funds became available for a frivolous purchase like a new monitor - and, again, the cost difference between a 1080p screen and a 1440p screen was minimal so why not get the "better" one??

I was moving up from a 22" to a 27" and it made sense to have more pixels since the screen was getting bigger too.

I think its mainly high refresh rates and panel types.

you can get a decent TN/VA @ 120/144hz for like $160, IPS for $180.

1440p/120-144hz is going to be high 200's for TN, and 300-350 for IPS.

if you just stick to 60hz, the cost isn't too bad.

• Options
    ChrysisChrysis Registered User regular
    Japanese amazon has a bunch of 3rd party PS5 products listed with a delivery date of November 20th.

Tri-Optimum reminds you that there are only one-hundred-sixty-three shopping days until Christmas. Just 1 extra work cycle twice a week will give you the spending money you need to make this holiday a very special one.
  • Options
    Drez wrote: »

Mine flips this.

Mine is 1080hz.

Those 30 pixels are smooth as fuck though.

• Options
    McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    Initially I wasn't sure what to make of this twitter thread (likely spoilers for an announcement in the PS5 showcase)
    but given the first letter of each it seems we will be seeing some God of War....2? 5? Sequel to the 2018 version.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
  • Options
    CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    McFodder wrote: »
    Initially I wasn't sure what to make of this twitter thread (likely spoilers for an announcement in the PS5 showcase)
    but given the first letter of each it seems we will be seeing some God of War....2? 5? Sequel to the 2018 version.

Pretty sure that's actually about the previous God of War. If you zoom in on the whiteboard the story layout starts with (I guess last GoW spoilers?)
    Mother dies before the start.
    First scene is at a house with Kratos stalling and kid pushing to go.
    Second scene is in a forest.

So either the next GoW is identical to the last one or that's the last one he's talking about.

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    McFodder wrote: »

Pretty sure that's actually about the previous God of War. If you zoom in on the whiteboard the story layout starts with (I guess last GoW spoilers?)
    Mother dies before the start.
    First scene is at a house with Kratos stalling and kid pushing to go.
    Second scene is in a forest.

So either the next GoW is identical to the last one or that's the last one he's talking about.
    The first letter of each tweet spells ’RAGNAROK IS COMING' :)

McFodder on
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Drez wrote: »

Mine flips this.

Mine is 1080hz.

Those 30 pixels are smooth as fuck though.

7A2zHLd.png

• Options
    What time is this thing supposed to happen today?

• Options
    6 hours from now (which is 4am for me so I'll catch up over breakfast later)

• Options
    https://www.playstation.com/en-us/ps5/

Here's the site for those who are lazy (like me)

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    Maybe don't start the very first video with "footage captured on a PC emulating the PS5 experience"?

I guess it's Final Fantasy, so whatever!

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Is this Final Devil May Fantasy Cry or Final Dark Fantasy Souls?

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Final Witcher of Thrones.

• Options
    That really didn't spark the kind of excitement I would have hoped or expected from a mainline FF game announcement. :(

It didn't help the character models looked lower quality than FFXV's.

Maybe VII Remake was too good, and my expectations were too high. It just seems like this should have looked better than VIIR or XV, and it didn't really feel like it did. Also, random dialogue that wasn't super coherent didn't help.

Game could be great! Trailer/reveal wasn't.

• Options
    edited September 2020
    This looks good, but man, what I'd give to have this gameplay but with Into the Spider-verse visuals. Feels like a huge missed opportunity.

EDIT: i know I'm just being bitchy, but jesus they've managed to make "spiderman holds things together with his webs to save people" feel tired at this point.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    GSMGSM Registered User regular
    1800s Hogwarts... and everything looks the same.

(except the bathrooms)

We'll get back there someday.
  • Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    I would play this despite having no interest in the books or movies.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
This discussion has been closed.