Options

[PlayStation 5] It's out now! Commence de-boxing.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Not to mention sales aren't dependent on excess stock with digital. If something stops selling, drop the price and it'll start selling again. This is why you'll see the same games going on sale over and over and over and over. There's zero risk.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    All I know is that if I keep getting some kinda day 1 discounts for physical games then that's already all I need to keep going that route.

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    All I know is that if I keep getting some kinda day 1 discounts for physical games then that's already all I need to keep going that route.

Those programs (like the one at Best Buy) were by and large killed off though.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Yeah but new releases go up for 8-15 bucks off pre-release all the time. I had a pre-order for Cyberpunk physical for Xbox for 48 bucks, but cancelled because I game share

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular

Those programs (like the one at Best Buy) were by and large killed off though.

The Amazon one got gutted but still exists.

Basically if even 10 games I want get it over the entire life of the PS5 (assuming $100 premium for disk version) then it has already paid for having the disk drive right there.

• Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    Anyone remember when they tried to curb used game sales by adding a one-time-use key in the game which would unlock additional content, or completely lock you out of multiplayer if you didn't have it?

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Digital pricing still gets really weird and hinky in places. For example, checking all retailers that sell the physical discs, the likes of Dragon Quest XI, Builders 2, and Heroes 2 are all in the $20-$30 range (this is all going to be in CND numbers BTW). Those aren't sale prices, or 50% off!!! or anything. Those are the brand new, normal prices for those games, and they're the same across all physical retailers. Those 3 games on the PSN store? Are all still at the full 100% price of $79.99. Now... they go on sale. I've seen them go on sale. So it's not impossible to get them for the same comparable price. But they're still being sold for full price, with every sale being XX% off said full price. And right now, there ain't no sale. So if you wanted any of games right now, you can either pay $30 for a disc at any retailer... or $80 for the digital version. Or watch them like a hawk until the next sale (which is generally 3-6 months or so)

There are other games out there that do the same thing, so it's not a S-E thing. 3-4 year old games that have never had their prices officially and permanently lowered like their disc versions have, and are still $79.99 full price. And probably never will. So you're basically at the mercy of hoping and praying they'll go on sale, and a decent sale to boot. A personal example, I've had Danganropa V3 on my wishlist forever. It's still officially listed at $79.99. It has gone on sale a bazillion times, and is so again right now. It's also never ever been more than a 50% cut, making it $40. I have no desire to spend even that much on it, but I fear if I ever want the game, then that's the price I'll have to pay. Now that's... "fine". It's their game, they can charge what they want for it. Doesn't stop the optics around it being really weird. That these 2/3/4 year old games are still officially being sold for full price on the digital store.

Just to give a positive example of the system working though, I've also had the Assassin's Creed games on watch for forever. They're also "officially" being sold for full price, and they also go on sale every few months. Never low enough that I wanted to snap at though. This month however they finally dropped low enough, and I grabbed the complete editions of both Origins and Odyssey.

I'm not worried about some pricing apocalypse or anything should physical media be completely abolished. But there are already a few bad/lazy apples out there clearly not giving much of a fuck. I don't think things would get much worse, but there'd be zero incentive to get better either.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    Pailryder wrote: »
    ronzo wrote: »
    Rehab wrote: »
    M-Vickers wrote: »
    My biggest fear in all digital future would be the end of regular sales.

Given you can buy a lot of games for less than half price after 6 month, and less than that after a year, on disc (either new or pre-owned) what incentives would publishers have for massive sales when there is no disc competition to digital sales ?

Yeah, they act as a good incentive now as a way to persuade people over to digital from buying physical but in a future where there are only digital games being sold I wonder if those sales happen with the frequency they do now. That is a legitimate concern.

Again, steam exists. Uncountable numbers of indie games never got and will never get a physical retail release. Steam the platform has literally been having more and more sales year over year than less. Publishers and devs want you to buy their product, and if they can't get you for full price, then they will get you for a discount.

Steam is not the only place to buy games on pc. Sony is the only place to buy games on a disk free playstation.

i think you can buy ps4 digital games on green man gaming, maybe some other places?

Any deal like that is ultimately through Sony. Green Man isn't generating their own codes, they have some kind of deal with Sony.

i don't see this "much" differently than steam being the platform that codes get activated on for PC. Yes, developers can generate codes but it all comes via the Steam API. Sony hasn't opened it up that much but the concept of master platforms is the same.

• Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    Its not very different because GMG, Humble and the like aren't real Steam competitors. GOG, Epic, and Battle.net are.

• Options
    PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    and that would be like MS or nintendo. again if the platform is the company (valve, sony, ms, gog, epic, activision) then where you buy the codes doesn't really matter to the platform, but it matters in that different stores will have different sales to generate revenue for their own needs. GMG, GoG, Valve, Humble, whatever are all trying to get your dollars, even if a cut is always going to Sony, or MS, or whoever. So sales will continue as long as there is profit for those resellers.

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    The Astrobot game is going to be pre loaded on PS5, which is pretty neat.

• Options
    Commodore75Commodore75 gothenburg.seRegistered User regular
    Kyougu wrote: »
    The Astrobot game is going to be pre loaded on PS5, which is pretty neat.

I assumed that the talk about the PS5 focusing on value, as opposed to price, meant that they would throw in a couple of games or peripherals, while keeping a high price.
    Personally I'd prefer good games, so this is nice to hear.

• Options
    metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    What's the source on that news?

• Options
    metaghost wrote: »
    What's the source on that news?

It was quietly announced at the same time as the latest presentation but somehow didn't get noticed much.

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    John or one of his writers must not realize it's not a launch title

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    MorranMorran Registered User regular
    New interview with Arkane about deathloop.

https://www.vg247.com/2020/06/30/deathloop-interview-ps5-dishonored-persona-dark-souls-cluedo/

Sounds really cool!

"Deathloop interview – a strange blend of Dishonored, Persona, Dark Souls and… Cluedo?"

• Options
    Yeah that game looks pretty insane in a good way

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    I wasn't super sold on the trailer, but Arkane have earned at least one purchase from me on faith.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    Deathloop looks so damn good. Thanks for sharing that interview.

• Options
    MorranMorran Registered User regular
    The first reveal trailer left me completely cold, since i thought it was some kind of coop-only thing.

However, since i know understand it to be freeform Dishonored + majora's mask I'm pretty hyped!

Really looking forward to ps5 release - not only to play the new, shiny games but also to catch up on the titles i missed by skipping this gen - Dishonored 2 and Prey being high up on that list!

• Options
    M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    Morran wrote: »
    The first reveal trailer left me completely cold, since i thought it was some kind of coop-only thing.

However, since i know understand it to be freeform Dishonored + majora's mask I'm pretty hyped!

Really looking forward to ps5 release - not only to play the new, shiny games but also to catch up on the titles i missed by skipping this gen - Dishonored 2 and Prey being high up on that list!

They’re both great, with Prey being extra good if you played any of the old System Shock games, which it felt like a real love letter to.

• Options
    Yea Prey was damn awesome. Really had that immersive sim feel that we don't get quite enough of.

And Dishonored 2 was more of Dishonored which means it was more greatness.

• Options
    Yeah I hope they do a "remastered" version of Prey on the PS5 because I will absolutely buy it again for the 5th time.

• Options
    So potential bump up in price of next gen games.

Which gives me 2 thoughts:

1) grabbing PS4 versions that get free upgrades becomes better.

2) another reason to not go with all digital version of new consoles.

The extra $10 is certainly not any sort of make or break decision maker for me personally but when all else is equal I'll always take saving a few bucks.

• Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    If there's a price discrepency between current and next-gen those upgrades won't be free. NBA 2K which you seem to be referencing wants $100 up front to buy PS4 and PS5 versions at once, with no upgrade path announced yet. EA's Madden on the other hand is offering free upgrades "for a limited time," which to me suggests that PS4 and PS5 versions of the next Madden won't differ, which further suggests that they are probably $60. Other companies have committed to actually using Xbox smart delivery and likely the Sony equivalent for some titles, which means free upgrades forever, likely no price difference and maybe not even a separate PS5 disc. I don't think we are going to see a standardized approach to moving across generations here, nor do I think everyone is ready to charge $70 out of the gate.

rahkeesh2000 on
  • Options

The extra $10 is certainly not any sort of make or break decision maker for me personally but when all else is equal I'll always take saving a few bucks.

What's the source on that?

Granted, this is extremely believable. We haven't had a game price bump since the launch of the 360/PS3, and AAA game development costs have gone absolutely apeshit since then.

• Options
    cloudeagle wrote: »

What's the source on that?

Granted, this is extremely believable. We haven't had a game price bump since the launch of the 360/PS3, and AAA game development costs have gone absolutely apeshit since then.

New NBA game is $10 more on next gen consoles.

Thus why I just say potential.

Maybe this is one of those gens where various publishers charge different amounts like in the old days. Maybe it's something they are doing alone and then maybe others will follow later. Maybe they try it, it doesn't go well and it gets reverted.

A whole lot of what ifs! But it is the first sign.

• Options
    I've said it before but if I have to pay $10 more and never see any sort of microtransactions in my game then I'll gladly pay the $10.

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    I've said it before but if I have to pay $10 more and never see any sort of microtransactions in my game then I'll gladly pay the $10.

That's not the deal, though.

• Options
    reVerse wrote: »
    urahonky wrote: »

That's not the deal, though.

Damn you capitalism!

• Options
    My sole hope is that the extra $10 makes single-player experiences that come to an actual end more appealing to AAA developers.

• Options
    M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    My sole hope is that the extra $10 makes single-player experiences that come to an actual end more appealing to AAA developers.

I doubt it.

Micro transactions seem to be a philosophy more than anything.

If a developer sees a game as a way to make money year after year, their more expensive game will still have micro transactions.

If a developer sees a game as a way of making a single chunk of cash to fund their next game (plus expansions, if they choose) then they’ll keep doing so.

It’s no surprise that the greediest developers/publishers see a new generation of consoles as a way to squeeze more cash out of players, because they NEVER make enough money. As Jim Sterling likes to repeatedly point out, for the likes of EA, it’s not enough to make lots of money - you have to making ALL the money.

• Options
    Yeah, it's not "pay $10 more for complete in box products" it's pay $10 more with all the loot boxes and season passes and "just cosmetic" DLC and so on. The carnival isn't going to change its pricing, they're just hoping to get more at the door as well.

But screw em. Just wait a few months and that price will go DOWN.

• Options
    Leave it to EA and Activision to fuck things up going into the next gen

• Options
    Yeah to be clear I know that game companies will always find a way to fuck us. But 4 years ago I was okay with paying $70 for a new release of a game if it meant no lootboxes. But as you've said: That won't be enough. They'll get the increased cost and also increase the cost of lootboxes and keep raking in that sweet, sweet gambling money. It's a fucking racket and there's nothing us as consumers can do.

• Options
    I mean, we can just wait and not buy games at launch/digitally. When you buy physical these days, you can usually lock in a discount before release. I've seen Cyberpunk up for 50$ if you pre-order from Amazon.

In the end, it's why programs like Game Pass are so good, and Sony desperately needs an adequate answer to the program.

• Options
    Yeah I'm pretty lucky that I still have the Gamer's Club card from Best Buy for another year. I'd like to say that I can wait for a price drop but I'm a consumer whore and need it now (even if I don't play and finish it immediately).

• Options
    LilnoobsLilnoobs Alpha Queue Registered User regular
    Consumers gave up their power once they fell for the propaganda that games can't be resold or refunded, making them exceptions to already established protections. That train is long gone.

• Options
    Lilnoobs wrote: »
    Consumers gave up their power once they fell for the propaganda that games can't be resold or refunded, making them exceptions to already established protections. That train is long gone.

I don't think this is right, the opposite has been happening the last three years. Digital games have been required to have some kind of return policy of late, something they were just skating by without (see also, sales tax).

This discussion has been closed.