Options

[PlayStation 5] It's out now! Commence de-boxing.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    I will bet all the money that there will be a black variant, except for maybe the touchpad.
    I also hope there will be a way to permanently disable the microphone, or my PS5 is going to learn a variety of new swear words from me when playing certain games.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    I guess this means the PS5 is white?

Edit: My fave DS4 is the orange one. I don't dislike white controllers, it's just the black white and dark-blue just clash for me.

Satsumomo on
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    That shit is wild and I love it, hope they don't change it

• Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    I will bet all the money that there will be a black variant, except for maybe the touchpad.
    I also hope there will be a way to permanently disable the microphone, or my PS5 is going to learn a variety of new swear words from me when playing certain games.

That’s the first setting I’m going to disable

• Options
    ouchiesouchies Registered User regular
    That does look like a third party controller from 2002, but I get it. I am genuinely surprised there aren't some kind of paddles or bumpers on the grips though. And this design aesthetic makes me pretty worried for what the console might look like. For what it's worth, I thought the launch PS4 looked perfect: simple, understated, no superfluous details. That controller has a lot of over-designed, superfluous details.

• Options
    OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular

Pretty sure the dash-shaped button above the microphone is to disable it, but yeah, persistence across sessions will matter.

Whole thing gives me some real I, Robot and Mass Effect vibes.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Wow. That controller.

Not sure what to say. At least it's not the Sixaxis?
    I'd want direct BC of older games and/or a download library of them, rather than streaming. My internet just isn't up to constant streaming; I've tried it and the lag is ridiculous for anything that needs reactions, and I think that's true for a fairly large chunk of their user base.

Well, you'll be getting that for PS4 games. But the rest is, as far as I can tell, PS Now, which is both streaming and also the forgotten stepchild of the Playstation division.

• Options
    Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    Uhm.. I hate that D-pad by the look of it. I already dislike the D-pad location on PS controllers as it's not as easy for me to hit while going in a direction like I sorta can with the Xbox controllers. Also looking forward to buying the rubber wrap to cover up that ugly color pattern.

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Banzai5150 wrote: »
    Uhm.. I hate that D-pad by the look of it. I already dislike the D-pad location on PS controllers as it's not as easy for me to hit while going in a direction like I sorta can with the Xbox controllers. Also looking forward to buying the rubber wrap to cover up that ugly color pattern.

They'll definitely manufacture the thing in at least a few different color patterns.

• Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Zavian wrote: »
    Satsumomo wrote: »
    I'm not a big fan of the color scheme, hopefully we get an all-black version at launch.

Also hoping for clear crystal, my fav dual shock variant

6jEd5lt.png?2

Clear crystal DS4 ftw.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    I have the red crystal. A bit sad it isn't clear all the way around tho

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    So the controller will still cost $70. Dang.

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Man I love dual tone color schemes so I love that controller. Looks nice as hell.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    Looks fine to me. Seems like more of an Xbox like shape, hard to really judge via picture.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    It'll look great after a few nights of Call of Duty gives it that orange cheeto/dorito tint.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Snake GandhiSnake Gandhi Des Moines, IARegistered User regular
    I'm not the biggest fan of the Dual Shock, so I could get into the new shape. Seems like it's a little bigger.

Definitely not a fan of the color, but that's not a big deal. The talk that the new controller is losing the headphone jack is though. I use the controller headphone jack on the PS4 and XB1 all the time, so if they ditch that I will not be happy.

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    I'm miffed about them once again not using the Vita's dpad after they found near-perfection with it.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    I had to confirm that wasn't fake.

The hell is Sony thinking with that ugly ass white shell on their sexy black controllers.

I like black & white together, but that looks like something that'd be designed as a 3rd party PC controller, or for a small-company console like the Ouya. It just has this incredibly bland, shapeless "it's a controller" look to it.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    The controller looks bad to me but I also don't believe that's the retail design. The final shape and specs, sure. But I just don't believe they will be ditching the black controllers they've done since Ps2. Maybe they will have this as an option, like how the Switch had several colors? But... some people have played with the same looking controllers their entire lives, they... will not want to switch.

• Options
    I think the DS4 will still work, hence why they're including the touch pad again looks like

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Has anybody ever had White be the default option for these things? Xbox 360, I guess, right?

I feel like with Sony, black is always the default, and white is the special edition they sell you later.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    Has anybody ever had White be the default option for these things? Xbox 360, I guess, right?

I feel like with Sony, black is always the default, and white is the special edition you ignore forever.

McFodder on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
  • Options
    ronzoronzo Registered User regular

I feel like with Sony, black is always the default, and white is the special edition they sell you later.

The Wii was only available in white for like 2-3 years.

DS Lite was originally only in white too.

• Options
    ouchiesouchies Registered User regular
    I think the DS4 will still work, hence why they're including the touch pad again looks like

I was looking forward to playing some PS4 games on the PS5 for a lot of reasons, not least of which was I'd get to play using the PS5 controller. The battery in my DS4 lasts three hours max, or so it seems. It'd be neat if the DS4 works on the PS5. Maybe I should pick up an extra one before they're phased out.

• Options

Default of the original PS was grey, and the PSOne was white.

I read an online 'theory' once that made the argument that victory in the console wars tended to go to the side with the white/grey-coloured console.
    Worldwide, the NES crushed the Master System.
    16 bit is harder to judge, I think the SNES and Genesis/Mega Drive were more even. SNES is more remembered now, though.
    Saturn vs N64 vs Playstation? Victory to the grey console.
    PS2 disproved the rule, but the defence is made that it was up against two black consoles (or one black and one purple). The sad, lonely fate of the Dreamcast is not included in this argument so it doesn't break the argument.
    The white Xbox 360 had a commanding lead over the black PS3 for most of the generation if you keep it as a two-horse race, and the Wii did pretty well doing its own thing. Wii U kinda jammed itself between the generations, and recoloured itself black pretty early one, clearly sealing its fate.
    Then we had a three-way fight between black consoles.

Now obviously there are holes in this theory you could drive a truck through, but I think there's something to be said for having the one console that clearly stands out from the others in pictures, and a different colour is one way to do it.

• Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    16 bit is harder to judge, I think the SNES and Genesis/Mega Drive were more even. SNES is more remembered now, though.

~50 million for Nintendo, 30 million for Sega.

The SNES won it pretty handily.

Edit: Also
    The white Xbox 360 had a commanding lead over the black PS3 for most of the generation if you keep it as a two-horse race, and the Wii did pretty well doing its own thing.

Wii sold a smidge over 100 million units, neither the Xbox 360 nor the PS3 had cleared 90 million as of their last public sales figures.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    It depends on if you're comparing consoles of similar power and game libraries, or just time of availability.

• Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    The theory sort of holds, kind of? When iPods first launched, they showed it was available in a range of colours, but I think white was the predominant seller and was synonymous with Apple products forever after. Apple may not have as much of a lead in product sales these days but they held a commanding one for a few early years with iPod/iTouch and the first years of the iPhone.

In my work, I deal with point of sale terminals and we provide them to businesses for their retail transactions. One of our competitors launched a new device last year that has been winning customers over (for various reasons) that only comes in one colour. Guess which one.

Our response? Push out our terminals faster to keep up with them. Also now available in white available Spring 2020.

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    edited April 2020
    It depends on if you're comparing consoles of similar power and game libraries, or just time of availability.

I was just mentioning some trivia I remembered from a different conversation I had about console sales not too long ago, in case someone might be interested. Wasn't really making a comment about your point.

H3Knuckles on
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    I think white does say 'luxury product' to a lot of people, just on first glance. As that got used for things like iPods it got reinforced.
    It does help things to stand out on a shelf, though that's less applicable to consoles. I had a brief job at a SNES games magazine in the mid-90s. They had typical covers like everyone else, usually just art for the latest big game. But their cover artist had a theory and tried just the game character in front with a white background.
    He tried it for two months, and shelf sales and subscriptions went up noticeably. When they tried a survey of new subscribers, a lot of them said they just noticed it on the shelf and picked it up, so the theory had some weight. It definitely stood out more.

Then the entire editorial staff was replaced, headed by someone who was a friend of the publisher owner, I was 'let go', the magazine went back to stock game art, and managed to choke out five more issues before it got discontinued for being garbage.

• Options
    My white dual shock 4 is still going strong and doesn't have any stains or anything. I'm sure black with be an option but white is fine.

I think the only strange thing is the d-pad. Isn't that configuration bad for fighting games where you need to be able to press at an angle?

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    PS5 controller looks fine. But I really dislike white consoles as I like to have all my devices monotone so I'll wait for a black one.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    I'm not the biggest fan of the Dual Shock, so I could get into the new shape. Seems like it's a little bigger.

Definitely not a fan of the color, but that's not a big deal. The talk that the new controller is losing the headphone jack is though. I use the controller headphone jack on the PS4 and XB1 all the time, so if they ditch that I will not be happy.

I can understand how that might be frustrating but it was a bad design decision on their part. The controller doesn't have the power to handle headphones, even bad ones. If you don't have a USB headset or bluetooth, you have to use that crappy 3.5mm on the controller and get terrible sound quality. Thankfully I was able to output my sound to my PC sound card and connect headphones through that.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    H3Knuckles wrote: »

~50 million for Nintendo, 30 million for Sega.

The SNES won it pretty handily.

That gen was a tough fight for a while, especially since Genesis came out first. That's what everyone remembers. But Nintendo gradually caught up, and then Donkey Kong Country wowed everyone and Nintendo pulled even further ahead.

On controllers -- that design does look like the One controller. The Switch Pro controller too. I guess this is the design of controllers now?

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    I think white does say 'luxury product' to a lot of people, just on first glance. As that got used for things like iPods it got reinforced.
    It does help things to stand out on a shelf, though that's less applicable to consoles. I had a brief job at a SNES games magazine in the mid-90s. They had typical covers like everyone else, usually just art for the latest big game. But their cover artist had a theory and tried just the game character in front with a white background.
    He tried it for two months, and shelf sales and subscriptions went up noticeably. When they tried a survey of new subscribers, a lot of them said they just noticed it on the shelf and picked it up, so the theory had some weight. It definitely stood out more.

Then the entire editorial staff was replaced, headed by someone who was a friend of the publisher owner, I was 'let go', the magazine went back to stock game art, and managed to choke out five more issues before it got discontinued for being garbage.

I'm giving this an awesome because it's a very interesting anecdote. Shame how things turned out though.

camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    The craziest thing I've learned today is that people think the PS4 controller is "sexy" and doesn't just look like another video game controller

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    MorranMorran Registered User regular
    Any info if the ps5 has a trackpad similar to the ps4 one?

• Options
    edited April 2020
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    The craziest thing I've learned today is that people think the PS4 controller is "sexy" and doesn't just look like another video game controller

Yes and no? I never found the Playstation controllers all that remarkable aesthetically speaking, but there's definitely good and bad designs and I'd say on the whole Sony's have consistently been 'pretty good'.

H3Knuckles on
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    H3Knuckles wrote: »
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

Yes and no? I never found the Playstation controllers all that remarkable aesthetically speaking, but there's definitely good and bad designs and I'd say on the whole Sony's have consistently been 'pretty good'.

They are absolutely fine and functional and that is about all you can say about them.

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I love the design.

I feel confident that this means the console will look like Turret from Portal, which I am all for.

PSN: Honkalot
This discussion has been closed.