Options

[Bad News Gone Right]: 40% chance of "where's the gone right?".

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    I've told this story before, but crows are awesome: At my college, squirrels would follow people who drop food, and once squirrels start following you shortly after crows notice and they would start following you, too. They'll take food, but they're waiting for something bigger. Because they knew eventually you'd get a fat, slow squirrel or seagull to sit still long enough for them to kill it right there in front of you on the picnic table.

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Hevach wrote: »
    I've told this story before, but crows are awesome: At my college, squirrels would follow people who drop food, and once squirrels start following you shortly after crows notice and they would start following you, too. They'll take food, but they're waiting for something bigger. Because they knew eventually you'd get a fat, slow squirrel or seagull to sit still long enough for them to kill it right there in front of you on the picnic table.

A murder of crows indeed.

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Ravens are mega crows so are bigger serial killers.

http://asktheblogster.blogspot.com/2013/03/2-ravens-or-crows-attack-squirrel-and.html?m=1
    After I watched the squirrel jump off to another branch, a big black bird landed about a foot away from the nest. It stood there, cocking its head, looking at the nest. At first I thought it was a crow, but it looked awfully large. So, I decided it must be a Raven.

As the squirrel returned to the nest, the raven hopped away. But when the squirrel ran off to get another twig, the raven boldly hopped over to the nest and looked into it. Then the squirrel returned and the raven backed away.

I thought it was odd that the squirrel ignored the bird, but it must not have felt threatened.

When the squirrel left the nest again, a second raven landed on an adjacent branch. "Two against one", I thought. But the both birds just stood on the branches, watching the busy squirrel.

When the squirrel returned one more time, and entered the nest, the two ravens attacked. With open wings, they hopped onto the nest. The first raven grabbed the squirrel by the neck, and the second raven took the tail. Then they flew off together with the squirrel trying to get free. I watched them fly until they disappeared over the trees.

"Wow" I thought! I didn't know that crows or ravens would attack a living squirrel. I knew they were scavengers and would eat a dead carcass, but I didn't know that they would hunt in pairs and kill their prey.

I told this story to my mother-in-law who is 85 years old. She grew up on a farm and told me "Oh yes, they do attack animals". She said that when she was young, her mother told her to watch the chickens and chase away any birds that would land. But, as she was watching, a big crow (or raven perhaps), swooped down from the sky, grabbed a small chicken, and flew away with it. Just like that!

• Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »

http://asktheblogster.blogspot.com/2013/03/2-ravens-or-crows-attack-squirrel-and.html?m=1
    After I watched the squirrel jump off to another branch, a big black bird landed about a foot away from the nest. It stood there, cocking its head, looking at the nest. At first I thought it was a crow, but it looked awfully large. So, I decided it must be a Raven.

As the squirrel returned to the nest, the raven hopped away. But when the squirrel ran off to get another twig, the raven boldly hopped over to the nest and looked into it. Then the squirrel returned and the raven backed away.

I thought it was odd that the squirrel ignored the bird, but it must not have felt threatened.

When the squirrel left the nest again, a second raven landed on an adjacent branch. "Two against one", I thought. But the both birds just stood on the branches, watching the busy squirrel.

When the squirrel returned one more time, and entered the nest, the two ravens attacked. With open wings, they hopped onto the nest. The first raven grabbed the squirrel by the neck, and the second raven took the tail. Then they flew off together with the squirrel trying to get free. I watched them fly until they disappeared over the trees.

"Wow" I thought! I didn't know that crows or ravens would attack a living squirrel. I knew they were scavengers and would eat a dead carcass, but I didn't know that they would hunt in pairs and kill their prey.

I told this story to my mother-in-law who is 85 years old. She grew up on a farm and told me "Oh yes, they do attack animals". She said that when she was young, her mother told her to watch the chickens and chase away any birds that would land. But, as she was watching, a big crow (or raven perhaps), swooped down from the sky, grabbed a small chicken, and flew away with it. Just like that!

An unkindess of ravens, indeed.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »

An unkindess of ravens, indeed.

Having had to spend a considerable amount of time, effort and funds to evict a family of squirrels from my attic and keep them out, I have to side with the ravens here.

• Options
    NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular
    Few things are pure scavengers.
    There are only so many corpses to go around, so it's always beneficial to be able to make your own.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    South Dakota debuted their new anti-meth campaign:

Somehow, I think this could have used a bit more workshopping.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Yeah they definitely need to tweak the slogan

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Ever since I saw this slogan it has been randomly popping up in my mind and every single time I think about it, I burst out laughing.

• Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    You think they've got merch?

• Options
    NobeardNobeard North Carolina: Failed StateRegistered User regular
    edited November 2019

I showed this to my wife and I had to explain to her that it's real and the double entendre is not intentional. She's an optimist and I love her for it.

Nobeard on
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Nobeard wrote: »

I showed this to my wife and I had to explain to her that it's real and the double entendre is not intentional. She's an optimist and I love her for it.

Some people are too pure and too good for this world.

• Options
    I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Have you ever wondered "What if Lara Croft's tits from the original Tomb Raider were a car?"

Of course not, you aren't a psychopath. But Elon Musk is so behold the Tesla Cybertruck:

EJ83HCwUEAAyuuQ?format=jpg&name=small

Now, sure, it looks goofy, but it has shatterproof wind... oh.

ETA: This is absolutely the shitty future that we deserve:

EJ8xoLGW4AEwB95?format=jpg&name=small

I Zimbra on
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Don't get me wrong but, um, the window didn't shatter? It just broke and everything stayed in place? Good luck having a flying steel ball not punch right through the windows of your own car, which would cause them to actually shatter. This is like griping that "bulletproof" doesn't mean "bullets bounce off wildly with zero damage to the target".

Anyway, hell yeah I'd rather some sweet polygon-looking truck than any of the billion-odd identical-looking vacuum-formed bland-as-fuck bodies they do these days.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    Don't you want to wait until it fully renders before you make a decision?

• Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    "I for one welcome our cyberpunk dystopia overlords"
    No I don't. Our cyberpunk dystopia overlords can go fuck themselves.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    I Zimbra wrote: »
    Have you ever wondered "What if Lara Croft's tits from the original Tomb Raider were a car?"

Of course not, you aren't a psychopath. But Elon Musk is so behold the Tesla Cybertruck:

EJ83HCwUEAAyuuQ?format=jpg&name=small

I'm pretty sure I flew this ship in Elite in the early 90s.

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    It looks like everybody's first CAD attempt in their Intro to Design class

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    I had that hot wheel

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    FANTOMASFANTOMAS Flan ArgentavisRegistered User regular
    They should have gone for polygonal wheels, 7/10

Yes, with a quick verbal "boom." You take a man's peko, you deny him his dab, all that is left is to rise up and tear down the walls of Jericho with a ".....not!" -TexiKen
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    That car screams "I hate everyone outside my car and want to make sure they're properly maimed when I hit them".

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    So Musk is going to sulk when he offers to 'let' CDPR put the Cybertruck in Cyberpunk 2077 and they tell him to screw off, isn't he?

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Don't get me wrong but, um, the window didn't shatter? It just broke and everything stayed in place? Good luck having a flying steel ball not punch right through the windows of your own car, which would cause them to actually shatter. This is like griping that "bulletproof" doesn't mean "bullets bounce off wildly with zero damage to the target".

Anyway, hell yeah I'd rather some sweet polygon-looking truck than any of the billion-odd identical-looking vacuum-formed bland-as-fuck bodies they do these days.

They literally thought it would bounce right off! That's why they did the demonstration! And they made the fucking truck!

shryke on
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    He didnt even throw it hard! And it did make a hole. It that was a smaller, high velocity projectile it would have gone right through. The better half in h thick security glass can/should be able to withstand multiple impacts from sledgehammers swung at full force.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    It looks like something you'd see drawn in crayon and stuck to a robot family's refrigerator

• Options
    OK, I actually have one nice thing to say about the Cybertruck which is that it has a pop-up camper option that looks pretty dope.

Still looks like a Pontiac Aztek on the lowest graphics settings, tho'

• Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    It's Fucking hideous and demonstrates pretty clearly tesla has no clue who the fuck is buying trucks.

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Aridhol wrote: »
    It's Fucking hideous and demonstrates pretty clearly tesla has no clue who the fuck is buying trucks.

Or how cars work.

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    I mean, there isn't really a single "truck" market. There are a bunch of different segments, and a good chunk (if not the outright majority) of people who buy trucks don't actually use them as trucks. Even in places where trucks are ubiquitous, people who buy them often do so for cultural reasons rather than the utility of everyday use (although to be fair, when you need a truck you need a truck, and in some of those places you know you'll need a truck a few times a year like clockwork).

• Options
    It looks like that vector-drawing turtle gained sentience, a 3D printer, and a need for speed

• Options
    It looks like that vector-drawing turtle gained sentience, a 3D printer, and a need for speed

How dare you try to pin this on Logo like that.

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Is this for real

• Options
    That was the little dude's name

• Options
    SF author Charles Stross makes an excellent point:
    I mean, this thing doesn't need truck nutz, it is truck nutz.

• Options
    FryFry Registered User regular
    It looks like an escapee from Tron. Mission accomplished?

• Options
    Another good point made - the bed can't carry a full sheet of plywood, showing that nobody who actually uses a truck was involved in the design.

• Options
    Another good point made - the bed can't carry a full sheet of plywood, showing that nobody who actually uses a truck was involved in the design.

Didn't you hear?

Elon Musk's next project is disrupting the sheets of plywood industry

• Options
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular

Didn't you hear?

Elon Musk's next project is disrupting the sheets of plywood industry

Wasn't that what the Not-A-Flamethrower was for?

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular

isn't that true of all non full-size trucks?

This discussion has been closed.