As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Revolutionary Girl [chat]

CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
Crud, this is a rush job.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=HL25C0H9vVw
https://youtube.com/watch?v=GRsWNBW_Mkc
The main character is Utena Tenjou, a tomboyish teenage girl who was so impressed by a kind prince in her childhood that she decided to become a prince herself, expressed in her manner of dress and personality. She attends Ohtori Academy, where she meets a student named Anthy Himemiya, a girl who is in an abusive relationship with another student. Utena fights to protect Anthy and is pulled into a series of sword duels with the members of the Student Council. Anthy is referred to as the "Rose Bride" (薔薇の花嫁 Bara no hanayome) and is given to the winner of each duel. It is said that the winner of the tournament will receive a mysterious "power to revolutionize the world", and the current champion is constantly challenged for the right to possess the Rose Bride.

• Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    sailor-uranius.jpg?x87319

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Whoopsie

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    @winky

There are a lot of audio-only games. Blindside and A Blind Legend are two examples.

Also, there's a whole sub-field of game development around Alexa, Echo, and other voice assistant platforms. Most Alexa games are party and trivia games, but they also have a lot of adventure games (think Zork, but with dictation).

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    I want the power to revolutionize the world...

• Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    nuke this chat from orbit

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
  • Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    One page 100 you’re only allowed to talk about anime that embarrassed normies claim aren’t “really anime” like Cowboy Bebop

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    All ya'll keep posting the forbidden anime, but never a good place to watch it. Its like the ultimate tease.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Brody wrote: »
    All ya'll keep posting the forbidden anime, but never a good place to watch it. Its like the ultimate tease.

it's not a great platform, functionality-wise, but crunchyroll has a lot of stuff you can watch for free with ads

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    One interesting fact I learned from Get Lamp: A Documentary About Adventures in Text is that interactive fiction is fairly blind-friendly because it can be played with screen readers

• Options
    man i remember drawing anime styles as a preteen

draw big anime eyes

draw a vague outline of a face around it

draw jagged peaks of hair on top of it

draw a tiny triangle for a nose

anime

• Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    i feel like i made this happen

God will punish me

• Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    Kamiro wrote: »
    Chanus wrote: »

it's not a great platform, functionality-wise, but crunchyroll has a lot of stuff you can watch for free with ads

also, Hulu

Netflix too.

There's an Anime thread in SE++ if you want suggestions with discussion.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    I actually wish night in games like BotW were darker. I can barely tell it's night, except for skeletons existing. It'd be nice if it was hard to see more than a few dozen feet, or at least looked darker than, like, a cloudy day in real life.

• Options
    Cowboy Bebop: The it’s-not-really-gay-if-you’re-on-top of anime

• Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    chat i withheld my farts until after the meeting
    after I got away from the populace I unleashed it all and a bird dropped dead out of the sky
    im so sorry

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    Kamiro wrote: »

also, Hulu
    Also I believe VRV has everything from Crunchyroll plus additional stuff

• Options
    man i remember drawing anime styles as a preteen

draw big anime eyes

draw a vague outline of a face around it

draw jagged peaks of hair on top of it

draw a tiny triangle for a nose

anime

and tig ol bitties just below the chin...

*stares off into distance*

sorry what were we talking about?

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    One of my students needed to get something from the lab today, and as we started walking, said "man, I had a rough weekend. I saw Avengers and then watched Game of Thrones and it was all intense."

So I told him I also had a rough weekend, since I spent it in the south pretending my wife was my sister.

Checkmate, student.

• Options
    Shivahn wrote: »
    I actually wish night in games like BotW were darker. I can barely tell it's night, except for skeletons existing. It'd be nice if it was hard to see more than a few dozen feet, or at least looked darker than, like, a cloudy day in real life.

ehhhh from a game play perspective that sounds kind of horrible

almost as annoying as the randomly generated rainstorms that suddenly made it impossible to climb anything

that always happened over a thing you needed to climb

• Options
    Casual wrote: »
    Shivahn wrote: »

ehhhh from a game play perspective that sounds kind of horrible

almost as annoying as the randomly generated rainstorms that suddenly made it impossible to climb anything

that always happened over a thing you needed to climb

You could easily darken it a ton without it actually affecting vision too much, or change it in options. It just makes it feel less immersive. The game is great overall, and turning off the HUD makes it even better because you never know what's around the river bend, but with night not really being a thing it loses a bit of that.

• Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    the number of people just outright posting blatant spoilers on FB right now is breathtaking
    i cannot use it this month

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    wandering wrote: »
    Cowboy Bebop: The it’s-not-really-gay-if-you’re-on-top of anime

Mm. Revolutionary Girl Utena isn't gay or straight; Utena is its own weird thing.

qksdmla69h5p.jpg

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Well chanus's were more cave paintings on a wall that later scholars still aren't sure about, but yes it was anime.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    there's a skyrim mod that makes the nights like super realistic dark for a place at night with no light source other than moonlight

it's so cool

not being able to see anything or where you're going

very

very cool

• Options
    Hmm also I stayed up late learning the graphic details of a family member's rape, maybe that's part of why I recollect the weekend as rough.

• Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    If I have to see this stupid meme, somehow I've seen only posted by women on facebook, about how "women should stop trying to prove they can do everything men can do, because women were created to do everything a man can't" or some dumb shit, I will literally start to bleed out of my eyes.

I can't believe how much people can internalize sexist garbage like that just because it has a thin veneer of telling you you're super special.

/rant

and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    there's a skyrim mod that makes the nights like super realistic dark for a place at night with no light source other than moonlight

it's so cool

very

very cool

If it's that dark, how are you supposed to see the eight different nude mods also installed?

emnmnme on
  • Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular

it's so cool

very

very cool

how's not having dark vision in everquest

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »

it's so cool

very

very cool

If it's that dark, how are you supposed to see the eight different nude mods also installed?

one of the naked people following you is cortana, who generates light

• Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    I imagine the people who's photos have been meme co-opted for garbage memes must be super pissed.

They were just talking on NPR about how Marsha Brady was being used to pimp antivaxx nonsense and she was super mad about it.

and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    JebusUD wrote: »
    If I have to see this stupid meme, somehow I've seen only posted by women on facebook, about how "women should stop trying to prove they can do everything men can do, because women were created to do everything a man can't" or some dumb shit, I will literally start to bleed out of my eyes.

I can't believe how much people can internalize sexist garbage like that just because it has a thin veneer of telling you you're super special.

/rant

Every once in a while you're like "hmmm maybe we have skulls on our caps."

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular

it's so cool

very

very cool

I installed Darker Nights for both Skyrim and FO4 and deleted/adjusted it every time

Conceptually it's great but gameplay mechanics-wise nothing else in the game is calibrated for the darkness on top of it being super frustrating and garbo

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    tyrannus wrote: »

it's so cool

very

very cool

how's not having dark vision in everquest

well i play a wood elf so i see fine

also that matters significantly less than it did in 1999

not everything is 100% true to classic

• Options
    Yeah like "realistic" lighting makes for some awesome screen shots, but awful gameplay. I mean yeah night shouldn't just be a sky palette swap, but I'd take a sky palette swap over "Ok now I can't see shit and this game apparently doesn't understand what a light source is"

Its madness that all the tacticool shit you can add to a gun in Division 2 doesn't include a fucking flaslight

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    Eddy wrote: »

it's so cool

very

very cool

I installed Darker Nights for both Skyrim and FO4 and deleted/adjusted it every time

Conceptually it's great but gameplay mechanics-wise nothing else in the game is calibrated for the darkness on top of it being super frustrating and garbo

i think it had a slider for it if you install using a mod manager to make it not too bad
    also just like everything in skyrim you can make it where ambient lights like lanterns actually light up areas decently and where carrying a torch is actually helpful

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    Do you like them enough to blow them?

If you want context please see previous chat.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    realistic lighting would be great if there were more than like 4 games that actually made lighting tactical

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    zepherin wrote: »
    Do you like them enough to blow them?

If you want context please see previous chat.

why would i need context

also yes

• Options
    TTODewback wrote: »
    Eddy wrote: »

it's so cool

very

very cool

i think it had a slider for it if you install using a mod manager to make it not too bad
    also just like everything in skyrim you can make it where ambient lights like lanterns actually light up areas decently and where carrying a torch is actually helpful

back a hundred years ago when i actually played skyrim it was like five separate mods for varying levels of darkness

they might have improved upon the concept later

This discussion has been closed.