As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Online Employment Applications

SeñorAmorSeñorAmor !!!Registered User regular
My boss wants to start taking applications online, and I've been tasked with finding a suitable medium for doing so. I don't feel like creating an online form for doing that (and having to deal with the hassle of storing peoples' information), and I'm sure there are already sites that do this for you. I am unfamiliar with such sites (I haven't had to search for a job for nearly 20 years), so I was hoping some of you kind folks were aware of some 3rd party application processing sites. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

I'm hoping this won't be prohibitively expensive for the few applications a year we get.

Thanks in advance.

• Options
    DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular
    Our recruiter uses a system called Crelate which does have a monthly fee but I think it handles taking applications online and all that fun stuff. I just see the bills so am not sure how good or poor it is.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    What volume are you looking at here?

• Options
    SeñorAmorSeñorAmor !!! Registered User regular
    Probably a handful a year. We're a smaller company and I was hoping there was a free option or maybe one that charged per submission or something.

• Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    Not sure at the cost but have you looked at using LinkedIn? Their “Easy Apply” might be just what you need if you were wanting to keep it simple.

• Options
    Yeah, LinkedIn or just making a webform -> an email account on your server would be my suggestion for just a handful of jobs a year/ small volume.

If you are hiring 2-3 a month the other options become more viable.

• Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    Please don't create a form that asks you to input every job you ever had (plus dates) when the information is contained within the resume.

• Options
    Suggestion would be to have a simple form with:
    [job description above form, include "STATEMENT OF PURPOSE, resume and cv/resume required to be considered]

Name [ ]
    Have you read the job description? [CHECK BOX]
    I am submitting the following (check boxes):
    Statement of Purpose []
    Resume []
    CV/Resume []

[Attachments area]

This allows you to weed anyone who doesn't put all three documents immediately as they lied on their application, and gives you an easy mill to ensure everyone has the three (or more) documents you need.

• Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    Please don't create a form that asks you to input every job you ever had (plus dates) when the information is contained within the resume.

I changed jobs a few months back and am convinced this made my job hunt last months longer than it needed to because I still liked my old job well enough to not want to spend two hours doing a single application.

• Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    I did one application once that asked me to list every software project I ever worked on. Which is about 30 at this point.

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    SeñorAmor wrote: »
    My boss wants to start taking applications online, and I've been tasked with finding a suitable medium for doing so. I don't feel like creating an online form for doing that (and having to deal with the hassle of storing peoples' information), and I'm sure there are already sites that do this for you. I am unfamiliar with such sites (I haven't had to search for a job for nearly 20 years), so I was hoping some of you kind folks were aware of some 3rd party application processing sites. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

I'm hoping this won't be prohibitively expensive for the few applications a year we get.

Thanks in advance.

I used to do IT for a staffing & recruiting company. We used a bespoke webform, which I don't recommend (and you don't want to do that anyway.)

I'm not aware of any sites or services that are just online job applications. Most of this field are full platforms, where online applications are just one feature out of many. The usual terms of art are "Applicant tracking system," "Talent management system," or "HR management system." However, many are very affordable and you just don't use the features you don't need.

In fact, you might already be using one! Payroll services companies like ADP, Paychex, and Paycom also offer online job boards. Find out who is handling your payroll, and check on their website. They might offer an online job board, too. For example, from Paychex's website: https://www.paychex.com/hiring/recruiting-applicant-tracking

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    If you do end up dipping into the hosted ATS/HRM model, look into services like Zoho Recruit, greenhouse.io, Workable, and BreezyHR. I'm not recommending any of these, exactly, just giving you some key players to start your research on.

But really I'd start by diving into the payroll service you already use and seeing if they have an offering.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.