As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Heroes of the Storm] Coronavirus can't kill HotS if it's already dead #rollsafe

• Options
    tyrantula22tyrantula22 Registered User regular
    There's some good ones in the new WP video out. One of the first is 3 Imperius using their ults like Garrosh a few weeks back to pull people behind the wall, lol. At 3 minutes though, there's a Garrosh, Johanna, Anduin combo that gets pulled off really well (and video set up is great). Lightbomb Johanna, toss into enemies, dive after to follow up. I'm not going to be surprised if people start trying to emulate it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFIBkHFogP8

Battletag: Tyrantula22#1623
    Steam ID
  • Options
    DibbyDibby I'll do my best! Registered User regular
    EP9kVLqXsAI28aF.jpg
    wdgqXDp.png
    Pnp3qal.png

dawn of the jungle muradin

woulda gotten more camps but we finished the game too fuckin fast smdh

DNiDlnb.png
    Battle.net Tag: Dibby#1582
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    I don't like that damage soaked is no longer tracked. Nothing but Tank hate out there.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    I don't like that damage soaked is no longer tracked. Nothing but Tank hate out there.

Good tanks don't eat unnecessary damage, though. It's a fine line. If you just sit there and take all the damage, your team will lose the fight just by virtue of basic health bar numbers.

I still remember a game where I was playing Johanna and I juked a Hanzo arrow that then slipped past me and hit my team. In that case, I should've just popped D and ate the arrow, but the combination of muscle memory and the assumption that my team could also juke the arrow ended up with us getting team wiped.

• Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    just make it damage taken per death, obv

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    I keep coming back to ETC as my best Tank. Probably because he's easy to play and flexible for most comps. I find him especially good when my teammates start intsta-locking ranged DPS Mages. Like, OK, guess I'll boop away the dives coming your way. Also, taking the Orb quest at level 1 makes him a pseudo second healer on the team.

Basically, my whole game is just standing in between people and using E to absorb damage and heal. At 7, I can even help clear lanes faster with the AoE talent. And like, that's it. His initiation is good with his Slide, but leaves you screwed once you go in. I guess his ease of use is offset by his predictability and low health pool.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Anduin is free to play this week so I gave him a whirl. First match ever using him went pretty well I'd say, despite Diablo doing nothing but dive in constantly and complain about everyone else. Not sure how we pulled off winning the immortals either since they should have burned them down way faster.

vdbZ0Xn.png
    wimJ8Ue.png

Steam ID
  • Options
    Also, I know he's the current OP hero, but I've been doing really well with Deathwing. And I'm never any good with the current OP hero either! Got two MVPs out of 10 or so games tonight.

This was probably the best one, but it started out slightly concerning when I kept wondering how Medivh was dieing. Also Artanis was pretty bloodthirsty and kept going way to far for some kills. Luckily it was never at a moment where it cost us much. Anyways, when you do a lot better than normal, you gotta show off when you can right?

uLBkwNa.jpg

Steam ID
  • Options
    milk ducksmilk ducks High Mucky Muck Big Tits TownRegistered User regular
    I found this entire video to be absolutely fascinating lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yr6VLezAwVs

• Options
    milk ducks wrote: »

There's a really good comment analyzing it and presumably finding where the issue is coming from and how it happened. Assuming this is accurate, she basically gets a 4 second infinite shield because of stagger on Chen due to how it might be storing/calculating the different damages. I copied the comment below in spoiler since it's kinda long.
    I agree that something broke, but your test was a bit off. You walked through the edge of blizzard and took one hit so the cone and frostbolt gave shield, not the blizzard. In your test you used cone, which is the highest damage hit, as the chill applicator instead of blizzard. Watching the video at 0.25 speed, the Brew soak did end just before she got the shield and ran.
    I tested it myself in try mode. For more accurate math I cast the skills separately for shield while at max hp to get the exact shield values to add to the current hp.
    [Jaina]
    Cone of Cold: 143
    Frostbolt: 120
    341 HP --> regenerated to 364 over the course of the shield.
    263 Shield
    604 Effective HP -> 627 including regen.

[Chen]
    Breath of Fire: 114 D/S (The DoT lasted the full duration of the shield due to Chen's AAs increasing the duration by .75s per auto. The DoT was actually still on her when the shield ended, had some degen on the hp bar. Shield duration is 4s.)
    --> 456 Damage while shield was up.
    Ring of Fire: 95 D/S (The AoE of this is so small that she would have only taken 2 (during first 2 autos), possibly 3 ticks of damage from it. The aura looks like it ran out at the same time as landing with the kick, and that may or may not have registered a tick with the aura. Going to assume not so 2 ticks.)
    --> 190 Damage.
    Auto Attack: 156 (3 AAs during shield)
    --> 468 Damage
    Flying Kick: 208

TOTAL: 1,322 Damage against 627 HP
    Tim! Jaina has -695 HP. Please fix.

I went into try mode with Jaina again, removed Malf, and set enemy to Chen. Getting the dumb ass try-mode AI to use Stagger was a chore, but I finally got the results I was looking for. The shield is not displayed for Jaina either when chen was the only source of damage for the shield. Removed the tower wall so the only structure was the Keep. Toggled minions on to get Chen to come at me then toggled off when he popped Stagger.
    I hit Chen with Frostbolt to proc the chill then a single Cone of Cold for shield. I then took 3 shots from the Keep which were doing around 400+ damage, and took no damage. That's about 1,200 damage against a 143 point shield. There does seem to be a pixel of white shield while this effect is happening.
    Edit: That pixel of white is at the end of everyone's healthbar when they are below full hp apparently. Missed that. So yeah, invisible shield.

Something has broken between Jaina's Ice Barrier and Chen's Stagger. It may have always been broken, as the effect only shows up when a Staggered Chen is the sole source of shield.
    Unlike Protected(by the way), Stagger's 'Prevented' damage is stored until the effect ends at which point part of that damage is taken over time. Without knowing exactly how they coded this function I can only take a guess, but I think I'm probably spot on.

Stagger absorbed Jaina's damage and held onto it for DoT calculation after Stagger ends. Jaina's talent is still registering that she did "ability damage to chilled targets" but doesn't know how much.
    The shield is gained but the shield value is in limbo. Now, you'd think that it would know once the Stagger effect ended how much shield to generate, but there are a few issues with the way the skills/talents work in this case.
    Part of the bug lies in the way Shields and Health works. Damage is taken from Shields before Health.
    The DoT from Stagger is considered "Self Inflicted" because that DoT isn't someone else's ability damage, it's a new aggregated value. Stagger adds up the soaked damage and multiplies it by .75 or .6 with the Ox talent then self-inflicts that value in damage at the end of the effect. So the DoT isn't going to give Jaina shields because it's not Jaina's ability damage, it's Chen's. The shield isn't going to refresh itself with new damage values from the DoT.
    But Here's the main cause.
    Ice Barrier does a single check for damage when one of Jaina's abilities does damage. IsChilled = True Then AddShield(AbilityDamage*0.25) or something.
    But AbilityDamage is coming back an unknown value, not a real number, not 0. The value for AbilityDamage was "lost" and broke the calculation. Ice Barrier knows Jaina hit a chilled target and ran AddShield, so a "Shield" was applied.
    So all the server knows is...
    Jaina has Shields for 4 seconds.
    Incoming damage is taken from Shields before Health, but the Shield value is [Unknown] and the game is attempting to subtract incoming damage numbers from a valueless Shield variable, resulting in no damage to Health.
    This broken shield can theoretically absorb infinite damage.

Steam ID
  • Options
    That was my take on it, as well lol

• Options
    was ready to watch that vid til i saw it was from MFPallytime

yiiiikes no thanks not ever again after what he did

DNiDlnb.png
  • Options
    Yeah, he's an asshole.

• Options
    I'm sure that this interaction is really interesting (reading that comment is fascinating) but damn I just can't look at him the same way ever again

I loaded up the vid and saw who it was and just got this instant feeling of repulsion

Welp. That's a shame, I'm sure it's a cool vid, but.

DNiDlnb.png
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    The analysis post is cooler than the video anyways :P

kime on
    Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Every time I see a bug report in this game I question whether Blizzard has actually implemented automated testing in any way or actually reviews the results.

• Options
    Every time I see a bug report in this game I question whether Blizzard has actually implemented automated testing in any way or actually reviews the results.

Blizzard makes fun games, but their engineering practices have always seemed pretty sub-par.

Well OK. "Always" as in "since I started paying attention ~10 years ago" :P

Steam profile
  • Options
    KorrorKorror Registered User regular
    edited February 2020

Automatic testing? Unit tests? What are those again?

I work in the gaming industry (technically educational gaming now) and I've seen unit testing used exactly once. It was super useful but when your product is changing rapidly in design (compare hots at release to hots now) with poorly defined inputs (every situation that could happen in a match), there's a limit to how useful automated testing is going to be. This kind of interaction between chen's stagger and jaina's shield talent isn't the kind of thing that would be caught by test cases in any case. There's no substitute for manual QA.

Korror on
    Battlenet ID: NullPointer
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Getting rolled on Hanamura by an Abathur dive comp that just keeps scoring picks
    Come back from a level 17-20 deficit, because we refused to give up
    Soak 40k+ XP on Zagara, with 19 Mercenary caps
    They can't leave their fucking base
    We win, feels fucking good fam (with @Dibby )

v2aq8t7bwt7c.jpg

milk ducks on
  • Options
    Getting rolled on Hanamura by an Abathur dive comp that just keeps scoring picks
    Come back from a level 17-20 deficit, because we refused to give up
    Soak 40k+ XP on Zagara, with 19 Mercenary caps
    They can't leave their fucking base
    We win, feels fucking good fam (with Dibby )

v2aq8t7bwt7c.jpg

EQC4a3OX0AYQQuo.jpg

tassadar is pretty good, too

DNiDlnb.png
  • Options
    Korror wrote: »

I work in the gaming industry (technically educational gaming now) and I've seen unit testing used exactly once. It was super useful but when your product is changing rapidly in design (compare hots at release to hots now) with poorly defined inputs (every situation that could happen in a match), there's a limit to how useful automated testing is going to be. This kind of interaction between chen's stagger and jaina's shield talent isn't the kind of thing that would be caught by test cases in any case. There's no substitute for manual QA.

I see what you mean, but in this case I kind of disagree. It's even more important in games like HotS to have a system in place that gives you the most information with the least amount of work up front. Balance decisions, for example, should not be made without knowing how changing an HP or damage value might impact a particular hero's thresholds (e.g., if you increase Thrall's HP, how does that impact which heroes win in trades against him in the solo lane?).

If you are going to introduce a Stagger mechanic, then you should be willing to invest the time to set up basic scripts that will simply run through literally every single hero and every single ability against Stagger, and then validate the results. If I hit Stagger and then Jaina uses Cone of Cold, how much damage is done? What are Chen's starting and ending HP values? What were his starting and ending shield values? How much damage did you expect Jaina to actually do in that case? Is there a difference?

Maybe you don't define literally every single permutation (imagine performing the test for every single level and level disparity, or for when Stagger is used immediately vs. after 1 second), but you should have basic tests in place and a system of logging, validating, and just-plain seeing the results in a spreadsheet or query that you can then perform a basic sanity check against.

This would free up your manual QA to run the really wonky stuff like multiple hero/ability combinations or following up on bug reports, rather than having to run through a rote check of basic hero vs. hero interactions.

To be fair, it's really easy to SAY that you should do something as opposed to actually doing it. I have on idea what tools they have available to do stuff like this or how painful it is to set up. But the ROI on automating hero and ability interactions strikes me as very high in this case, because that data informs basically everything from design to balance.

• Options
    KorrorKorror Registered User regular
    edited February 2020

I see what you mean, but in this case I kind of disagree. It's even more important in games like HotS to have a system in place that gives you the most information with the least amount of work up front. Balance decisions, for example, should not be made without knowing how changing an HP or damage value might impact a particular hero's thresholds (e.g., if you increase Thrall's HP, how does that impact which heroes win in trades against him in the solo lane?).

If you are going to introduce a Stagger mechanic, then you should be willing to invest the time to set up basic scripts that will simply run through literally every single hero and every single ability against Stagger, and then validate the results. If I hit Stagger and then Jaina uses Cone of Cold, how much damage is done? What are Chen's starting and ending HP values? What were his starting and ending shield values? How much damage did you expect Jaina to actually do in that case? Is there a difference?

Maybe you don't define literally every single permutation (imagine performing the test for every single level and level disparity, or for when Stagger is used immediately vs. after 1 second), but you should have basic tests in place and a system of logging, validating, and just-plain seeing the results in a spreadsheet or query that you can then perform a basic sanity check against.

This would free up your manual QA to run the really wonky stuff like multiple hero/ability combinations or following up on bug reports, rather than having to run through a rote check of basic hero vs. hero interactions.

To be fair, it's really easy to SAY that you should do something as opposed to actually doing it. I have on idea what tools they have available to do stuff like this or how painful it is to set up. But the ROI on automating hero and ability interactions strikes me as very high in this case, because that data informs basically everything from design to balance.

They probably do something very much like that as I have confidence that Blizzard has better development practices than the small 6-10 dev game teams that I've worked with. But they probably aren't at the level of detail that are required to catch an interaction like this one.

I would not be surprised if they had something like this in psuedo code

Test_Chen_Stagger(damage, expectedHealth){
    hero = CreateHero(Chen);
    hero.ActivateAbility(Chen_Stagger);
    DoDamageToHero(hero, damage);
    WaitForSeconds(Chen_Stagger.duration);
    currentHealth = CheckHealth(hero);

if (currentHealth != expectedHealth)
    FailUnitTest();
    }

This is a very simple unit test but as a rule of thumb, I've usually heard that adding unit tests doubles or triples the amount of work that you need to do both on the initial creation and for every change you do. For example, if they change something as minor as how much damage stagger prevents, then you'll need to go back and update every test as they'll all start to fail now but that's not extremely prohibitive and it'll help catch when you inadvertently break stagger by changing some unrelated part of the code elsewhere.

What is prohibitive is attempting to test every possible interaction. The above bug was an interaction between a jaina talent and a chen ability. There are almost 1800 talents and over 400 abilities in hots and writing a specific test case for each of them interacting would require almost 2.5m test cases which is clearly not a productive use of time. Instead you'd write more general test cases and occasionally you'd probably forget in your jaina frost shields unit test to include the possibility that they could be damaging chen with stagger up and oops your shield value is returning null and that's causing unexpected behavior elsewhere.

Korror on
    Battlenet ID: NullPointer
  • Options
    General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular

The ability interaction is neat, but holy crap he's mad. It looks like he practically wants some judge to come in and invalidate the results of the match. Was the match important or is he just that bothered that the stars aligned and stole his kill?

3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    He got robbed.

But he also gets paid to overreact to shit.

So take that for what it's worth.

milk ducks on
  • Options

They probably do something very much like that as I have confidence that Blizzard has better development practices than the small 6-10 dev game teams that I've worked with. But they probably aren't at the level of detail that are required to catch an interaction like this one.

I would not be surprised if they had something like this in psuedo code

Test_Chen_Stagger(damage, expectedHealth){
    hero = CreateHero(Chen);
    hero.ActivateAbility(Chen_Stagger);
    DoDamageToHero(hero, damage);
    WaitForSeconds(Chen_Stagger.duration);
    currentHealth = CheckHealth(hero);

if (currentHealth != expectedHealth)
    FailUnitTest();
    }

This is a very simple unit test but as a rule of thumb, I've usually heard that adding unit tests doubles or triples the amount of work that you need to do both on the initial creation and for every change you do. For example, if they change something as minor as how much damage stagger prevents, then you'll need to go back and update every test as they'll all start to fail now but that's not extremely prohibitive and it'll help catch when you inadvertently break stagger by changing some unrelated part of the code elsewhere.

What is prohibitive is attempting to test every possible interaction. The above bug was an interaction between a jaina talent and a chen ability. There are almost 1800 talents and over 400 abilities in hots and writing a specific test case for each of them interacting would require almost 2.5m test cases which is clearly not a productive use of time. Instead you'd write more general test cases and occasionally you'd probably forget in your jaina frost shields unit test to include the possibility that they could be damaging chen with stagger up and oops your shield value is returning null and that's causing unexpected behavior elsewhere.

Of all the dumb engineering stuff Blizzard does, this interaction seems like quite an edge case, so I don't really blame them too much for this.

I mostly disagree with your overall assessment of the value of unit tests, but that's for another thread :P

Steam profile
  • Options
    Listen, we're going to talk about unit tests and automation in the HotS thread until I WIN THIS INTERNET ARGUMENT

• Options
    y'all are a buncha fuckin nerds

DNiDlnb.png
  • Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    At least this was a crazy edge case. This isn't nearly as embarrassing as BFA bringing back the same bugs in patch after patch.

• Options
    I mean, there's a bug reported just recently where Deathwing benefits from Kharazim's Ally buff. I feel like that is something that should've easily been flagged via automated testing. If you're introducing a new hero you can just invest the time to build up the basic interaction scripts up front, prior to final release. You're doing a ton of ongoing balance and regression testing before then anyway, so it's not like that investment is wasted.

But again, it's an oversimplification to just assume they aren't doing it. There's a strong possibility they have a ton of stuff in place and this particular test or series of tests is just broken and they haven't gone back to fix it.

• Options
    They probably do something very much like that as I have confidence that Blizzard has better development practices than the small 6-10 dev game teams that I've worked with.
    I'm pretty sure that's the size of the HotS dev team now. :(

• Options
    edited February 2020
    oh yeah i had another game today, i had diablo dailies and i was like "hmm i feel like playing someone i haven't played in a while.... maybe li-ming? haven't played her in a hot second though.... wonder if i'll be any good....."

EQChWxrVAAABb1f.jpg

POP. OFF. QUEEN.

Dibby on
    DNiDlnb.png
  • Options
    Technically Murky was the Queen that game.

• Options
    edited February 2020
    how the fuck did that little fucking frog get MVP over fucking ME

HE TOOK MARCH OVER OCTOGRAB FFS. INTO AN ILLIDAN/BUTCHER/FENIX/ZJ/ANA????? FREE KILLS????? HELLO???????????????

Dibby on
    DNiDlnb.png
  • Options
    It was a clutch pick to beat Nazeebo in Siege damage.

• Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    Dibby wrote: »

HE TOOK MARCH OVER OCTOGRAB FFS. INTO AN ILLIDAN/BUTCHER/FENIX/ZJ/ANA????? FREE KILLS????? HELLO???????????????

time spent dead is a factor and that there is three murky-deaths

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options

but..... but....... pop-off queen li-ming :bigfrown:

DNiDlnb.png
  • Options

but..... but....... pop-off queen li-ming :bigfrown:

popped off to the grave three times too many

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    Feed Queen Dibby

• Options
    edited February 2020
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tG_oKLw0kmg

Watching Fan play HotS is so inspiring and eye opening. His Samuro this game was gross (and funny), so I tried my hand at the off-brand version:

2xx6tnkv2rfo.jpg

Not bad! Split soaking for days using E to race between lanes (while healing) and R to fast clear waves. The funny part is that the enemy Lunara was absolutely wrecking me in top lane until level 10. I simply don't have the micro skills and match-up knowledge to handle her solo. But after that, our map pressure was bonkers.

Sadly, this probably only works in QM. To even further punctuate this point, I got MVP and received no votes. :biggrin:

MNC Dover on
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch