As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Biggest Letdowns for 2019? [chat]

• Options
    HerrCronHerrCron It that wickedly supports taxation Registered User regular
    Variable wrote: »
    but so much of the OP isn't out yet wth

Yes, but if you'll turn your attention to this six part YouTube video essay....

sig.gif
  • Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    Variable wrote: »
    but so much of the OP isn't out yet wth

he explains that

the poll is both "what will be the biggest disappointment of 2019?" and "what was the biggest disappointment of 2019 so far?" just as one poll, because why fuck around

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    One Punch Man S2
    Sleep wrote: »
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    I'm still going to watch game of thrones tho, whenever I get around to feeling like it, because I do still like the show

I doubt it will disappoint me, though. I mean, the show took a dive in writing quality already. It happened, I got over it, I moved past it, kept watching, it's fine.

Man I'm gonna let you know, I am like the most forgiving audience, but they are just totally fuckin this up.

it's not even like the major plot points are necessarily bad, this could well be martin's sketch but holy god how poorly it's filled in! the character motivations and tactics and politics are a travesty! nothing makes sense anymore, the plot armor is laid bare, there's fan service on fan service, the plot twists just make you shrug rather than gasp with delight or grin because you figured out the puzzle

it's a shame. honestly this is probably why martin can't finish. it's hard to write and the show runners are not even remotely up to the task

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Anthem
    HerrCron wrote: »
    The lack of a "None of the above" option is naught but tyranny.

Yes.

And?

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Anthem
    Preacher wrote: »

It's mainly lazyness. Jungle has to help a guy with a girl...

I'm at work.

I got paid to make that chat.

Just let that sink in.

• Options

Yes.

And?

I'm not saying guillotine
    But i'm not not saying guillotine

sig.gif
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    Anthem
    Today's work sentiment: "What day is it? Thursday? No? Fuck."

Yup, sounds about right.

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    @TL DR

I use these for running and cycling. There's a bit of a hit to quality but they do handily leave your ears open.

https://aftershokz.com/products/trekz-titanium

• Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    Also note people are saying things like plot armor and fan service with 2 episodes left one which is a big unknown. Hate machines is flowing hard.

Jubal77 on
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    I'm a pretty major disappointment, where's my recognition

• Options
    Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular
    Anthem
    god look at me, the dude who fucking bought Anthem AFTER it came out and was known to be bad

Switch FC code:SW-2130-4285-0059

Arch,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_goGR39m2k
  • Options
    Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular
    Anthem
    i was just tired of missing out on the current game

Switch FC code:SW-2130-4285-0059

Arch,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_goGR39m2k
  • Options
    Jubal77 wrote: »
    Also note people are saying things like plot armor and fan service with 2 episodes left one which is a big unknown. Hate machines is flowing hard.

I haven't seen any of it

I just want to disagree because man do I dislike "hate machine" and similar

it's just so annoying and dismissive

shit can be bad for actual reasons, saying "hater's gon hate" is pointless

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    It's Anthem

RonaldoTheGypsy on
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    japan wrote: »
    @TL DR

I use these for running and cycling. There's a bit of a hit to quality but they do handily leave your ears open.

Thanks! I haven't used conduction headphones before, but I'll peruse the reviews.

• Options

I haven't seen any of it

Eh im all for labeling things for what they are.

• Options
    But haters are gonna hate.

There's a song about it and everything.

sig.gif
  • Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    Avengers Endgame
    I'll vote One Punch Man S2 because what a bummer. It's got potato animation, low energy, and the writing is duller. Coming off such a banger like season 1. It's a parody that demands a lush visual treatment to work.

I’m almost certain they’re saving their budget for later in the season. How could you come out of something as well regarded as OPM S1 and not try to push the envelope?

The rule is generally that ep 1 and 3 get the big animation budgets, but OPM doesn’t really have to sell itself too hard.

• Options
    Anthem
    Aegis wrote: »
    Well this one isn't going to be close.

You were saying?

I'M TAPPED IN TO THE CULTURE, MAN.

• Options
    Havelock2.0Havelock2.0 Sufficiently Chill The Chill ZoneRegistered User regular
    new [chat] new [chat] what's it all ab

oh

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe
  • Options
    Anthem
    Winky wrote: »
    I'll vote One Punch Man S2 because what a bummer. It's got potato animation, low energy, and the writing is duller. Coming off such a banger like season 1. It's a parody that demands a lush visual treatment to work.

I’m almost certain they’re saving their budget for later in the season. How could you come out of something as well regarded as OPM S1 and not try to push the envelope?

The rule is generally that ep 1 and 3 get the big animation budgets, but OPM doesn’t really have to sell itself too hard.

OPM isn't even being done at the same animation studio.

I think that animation is what it is. For the season.

• Options
    I am in one of my phases where I search restlessly for a kind of game that probably doesn't exist

primarily I want a big sprawling RPG world I can dive into deep enough that I can't see the surface anymore

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    TL DR wrote: »
    japan wrote: »
    "TL DR"

Thanks! I haven't used conduction headphones before, but I'll peruse the reviews.

They work better than I expected. I mostly listen to podcasts, not music when I'm out and about so I wasn't overly worried about perfect audio fidelity, but actually they're fine.

The one thing that is a bit weird is that with the volume cranked right up they noticeably vibrate against your head. It's not so much of an issue because in really noisy environments they can't overpower the ambient noise anyway, so there isn't much need to have them turned up that high.

• Options
    Anthem
    I am in one of my phases where I search restlessly for a kind of game that probably doesn't exist

primarily I want a big sprawling RPG world I can dive into deep enough that I can't see the surface anymore

Subnautica

*ba doom tish!*

• Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    Anthem
    i was like "what fucko picked Endgame in this poll??" and then i saw porp's totp and tbh i should have known

vRyue2p.png
  • Options

Subnautica

*ba doom tish!*

Outward may have some issues but it also fits that statement a bit.

• Options
    edited May 2019

I haven't seen any of it

you're easily dismissed as fanboying, in that mode of thinking

fuck that, both sides of that

(also how does plot armor somehow not apply as a criticism until the final episode/act of a thing?)

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    It's Anthem

But that means EA is going to shoot Bioware in the back of the head soon!

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    I'm the opposite of a hater and have in fact railed against the "internet nerds" who figured out that if you are negative it's a lot easier to create content and generate clicks. I've described myself as "trying to like" the things I bother to watch.

and I still wouldn't call anyone a 'hater' or imply they were lying about their distaste for something. I may have in the past but not anymore.

and I mean sure. if you can't see the beauty of certain media I think you're a lesser being. but that doesn't mean I go around dismissing people as 'haters'.

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »
    It's Anthem

But that means EA is going to shoot Bioware in the back of the head soon!

Hey, Bioware, look at this painting

Remember Baldur's Gate II?

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    edited May 2019

I haven't seen any of it

you're easily dismissed as fanboying, in that mode of thinking

fuck that, both sides of that

(also how does plot armor somehow not apply as a criticism until the final episode/act of a thing?)

Im not the one labeling things before they are done. That is my main contention. Most of the other things are easily explained by known items. Like the showrunner pressure to shorten the last two seasons more than they wanted. The knowledge of an outline only existing to complete the show. I have been critical of parts as much as the next guy.

Jubal77 on
  • Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Star Wars EP9
    Fuck me, how have I managed to get this far with out knowing the name of Star Wars 9? And why is it such a dumb name!

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options

Subnautica

*ba doom tish!*

*googles* oh that one with the ugly terrain and the spears and backpacks

I did like the look of that one

is it out?

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    Just sent in my resignation letter

going to go lie on the floor for a bit

• Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    Avengers Endgame
    I stand with porp

• Options
    BSoBBSoB Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    Game of Thrones S8

Have you considered the meta parody of the standard ark where an anime runs out of money and has its later seasons look like dog shit.

BSoB on
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    Did you finally watch brotherhood dankey

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Anthem
    I have zero emotions about toy story 4

I'm not sure if I ever watched 3

or 2 for that matter

no I don't think I watched 2. Feel like that happened in the era where it was super obvious that disney didn't give a shit about sequels, so you were never going to miss anything if you didn't catch a sequel.
    Toy Story, it turns out, is the notable exception to this rule. All three of the current Toy Story movies are fantastic, with very little (if any) reduction in quality.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Man its kind of creepy how because I've watched videos on John Wick on the youtubes I get gun fans reviewing the pistols John uses. Uhh no youtube bad.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options

Subnautica

*ba doom tish!*

*googles* oh that one with the ugly terrain and the spears and backpacks

I did like the look of that one

is it out?

Yeah its a really clunky old school rpg. But im enjoying it so far. Its been out for a couple weeks. There are plenty of lets plays if you want to check it out. Just look for one that has voice acting turned off lol.

This discussion has been closed.