As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Shut up about [A Song of Firegames and Icethrones]

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    The Dance of the Dragons feels far more adaptable as a story than the Long Night, methinks.

In this case the role of the existential threat coming in from the north will be played by Lord Stark.

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    I'm surprised they canned one prequel to announce another. I assumed it came off the back of realising that they may have squandered most of their brand loyalty and couldn't expect all GoT viewers to switch over

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    I'm surprised they canned one prequel to announce another. I assumed it came off the back of realising that they may have squandered most of their brand loyalty and couldn't expect all GoT viewers to switch over

Speculation, but I'm guessing that GRRM wanted to do this one over the other, and for the reason you mentioned, figured having him headlining behind the camera was the best way to get the disenfranchised back.

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    I don't want to see any spin-offs at all. Make a new fantasy show, guys.

I mostly agree but if the spin-off was Arya: Pirate Explorer?

I would dive headfirst into that.

• Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    The only spin off I want is "Tyrion wakes up and realizes the last 6 months were all a dream caused by bad fish curry eaten on the boat over from esteros" and we just get someone else to redo the last two seasons.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular

Only if it's mostly about how her murder hobo skills do not translate to sailing at all

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Why didn't she put all her points into swimming? Everyone knows it's super useful.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    The pay real interest I had in the now-canceled spin-off was Naomi Watts, so I’m bummed.

If they had a Naomi Watts-only streaming service, I would probably subscribe to it.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular

Only if it's mostly about how her murder hobo skills do not translate to sailing at all

It's not like her murder hobo skills were really applicable during season 8 either.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    ColanutColanut Siedge WealdRegistered User regular
    MorganV wrote: »

Speculation, but I'm guessing that GRRM wanted to do this one over the other, and for the reason you mentioned, figured having him headlining behind the camera was the best way to get the disenfranchised back.

I would also think that the Long Night is mostly mythology, where Dance of Dragons is well defined and mostly written. GRRM and show runners would rather go with a sure thing. Also, I’d prefer to leave some mysterious history left to the imagination, though a couple of extra hints (scraps of parchment) would be cool.

• Options
    lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    Colanut wrote: »

I would also think that the Long Night is mostly mythology, where Dance of Dragons is well defined and mostly written. GRRM and show runners would rather go with a sure thing. Also, I’d prefer to leave some mysterious history left to the imagination, though a couple of extra hints (scraps of parchment) would be cool.

The show didn't have a great track record when it went off book so I'm thinking that's a big reason for it.

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    lwt1973 wrote: »
    Colanut wrote: »

The show didn't have a great track record when it went off book so I'm thinking that's a big reason for it.

Original reporting was that GRRM was co-writing this one, so I wonder if he worked out the plot arc in advance to prevent the yadda-yaddaing that ultimately tanked the unwritten portions of GoT.

I really think the issue with Long Night was going to be that D&D fucked the mythology up and it was going to have to confirm to it. Only book readers and wikiologists would appreciate the corrections, the bulk of the audience would be put off by the retcons.

Perhaps that plus the fact that whoever filled in the blanks on LN was going to be further retconning the history of any other series.

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Options
    OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    It’s also just a more familiar story to tell. It’s a different time period, but its very much “More Game of Thrones” in a way that I’m sure they find appealing.

Maybe that’s the right idea, but it’s definitely less interesting than trying something new in this world.

• Options
    edited October 2019

This brought to mind Vizzini screaming "Move the thing, and... that other thing!" and now I want to see a whole caper with Arya, Jon, and zombie-Sandor being hired to create a casus belli between the Free Cities and Volantis.

vp48pj1dl9zj.jpg

Call it "A Girl and Two Zeds"

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    I think the press release said 300 years before the events of Game of Thrones, which would be Aegon's conquest. Which is boring. Has dragons, melts everyone, the end.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    I think the press release said 300 years before the events of Game of Thrones, which would be Aegon's conquest. Which is boring. Has dragons, melts everyone, the end.

"You've heard the story...

...now, learn the history."

*huffs farts*

• Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    I won’t be bothering with any spin-offs.

Do something original HBO.

• Options

That was just a rumor based on it involving Fire and Blood. The wiki says it (vol I) covers 150+ years after that.

• Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    I won’t be bothering with any spin-offs.

Do something original HBO.

I’m not opposed to spinoffs as a rule. Better Call Saul, for instance, is great. So was Angel. Several spinoffs have been great.

But you need to not have burned up any goodwill you have with the audience. I don’t want to see more Game of Thrones. I don’t even hate it as much as “the internet” did, but I’m definitely done with it.

• Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular

I would laugh if she sailed west of Westeros and just ended up in Essos.

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    GRRM wrote:
    But… let me make this perfectly clear… I am not taking on any scripts until I have finished and delivered WINDS OF WINTER. Winter is still coming, and WINDS remains my priority, as much as I’d love to write an episodes of HOUSE.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    The_InfidelThe_Infidel Registered User regular
    TheBigEasy wrote: »
    One could argue, that GRRM and HBO have an at least equal stake in all of this. While Benioff and Weiss came at this with a "We don't know anything, but we don't care" attitude - GRRM actively agreed to hand things over to them and HBO actively gave them millions of dollars to make this show.

And if you are calling what Benioff and Weiss did - HBOs part is at least gross neglience.

Ehh? The show was the biggest hit HBO ever had, so I imagine they are just fine with their decision-making...

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Syngyne wrote: »

I would laugh if she sailed west of Westeros and just ended up in Essos.

I’d love a series set in Essos (aside from Slavers Bay which has been adequately covered).

Maybe a quick scene of “hey what’s going on in Meereen?” (Cut to a shot of Dario Nohair looking out from his pyramid over a burning city, goldenmasked corpses piled high. “These motherfuckers really really like slavery.”)

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    The_InfidelThe_Infidel Registered User regular
    I'm more and more convinced Bryan Cogman did the real hard work on this series (and, given that recent interview, was the only reason the show bore an even passing resemblance to the novels)

• Options
    MancingtomMancingtom Registered User regular
    I'll never understand why people want to do fantasy stories but take out as much of the fantasy as possible.

If you want to play with swords but think dragons are dumb, then make a period piece.

• Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    Mancingtom wrote: »
    I'll never understand why people want to do fantasy stories but take out as much of the fantasy as possible.

If you want to play with swords but think dragons are dumb, then make a period piece.

Case in point, read about Edgar Aetheling of the House of Wessex, during 11th-12th century England. This guy was repeatedly on the wrong side of succession struggles, yet somehow always managed to get back into the winning monarch's good graces. At one point he was chosen to represent England in diplomatic matters with a Scottish King who had married his sister and previously tried to help Edgar take the English throne by force. In the end, he lived to see the death at sea of the grandson of the guy that first beat Edgar for control of England. Around this time one contemporary mentions him peacefully living out his old age in the countryside. While there is a passing reference to someone of his name in the mid 12th century, most historians take for granted that Edgar did not live to be 110. But I dunno, given his bizarre luck, I almost want to believe he beat the odds there too.

TLDR; Edgar's story could pass for a missing Blackadder season, it should totally be adapted for television.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular

Any excuse to not write the books I suppose

• Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular

Playing it light with fantasy elements at first can make them seem more amazing when they do come in.

• Options

Playing it light with fantasy elements at first can make them seem more amazing when they do come in.

Yeah low fantasy is the best fantasy. Otherwise you just end up with WIZARD Deus Ex Machina all over

• Options
    DeansDeans Registered User regular

Yeah low fantasy is the best fantasy. Otherwise you just end up with WIZARD Deus Ex Machina all over

A wizard is never a plothole, nor is he a macguffin. He contributes to the plot precisely what he intends to.

• Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular

(that's not what low fantasy means)

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Shadowen wrote: »

Yeah low fantasy is when you do stuff about hobbits and dwarves.

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Nah, man, I want to see some malazan wars on TV. Soldiers throwing explosives at one another and charging horses while summoned demons clash in the air and magic is going back and forth trying to cancel one another and when one side gains advantage it's utter chaos and death and destruction on the losing side.

Magic isn't Deus ex machina unless there's no RULES.

• Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular

Yeah low fantasy is when you do stuff about hobbits and dwarves.

I hate that this made me laugh

• Options

What do you think it means? My interpretation lines up quite well with consensus from a quick Google (and the discovery there's a low fantasy wikipedia article!)

• Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    I was under the impression that low fantasy means a setting that is basically the real world plus some fantastical elements, like Dresden Files or Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Is that wrong?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AstharielAsthariel The Book Eater Registered User regular
    chrisnl wrote: »
    I was under the impression that low fantasy means a setting that is basically the real world plus some fantastical elements, like Dresden Files or Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Is that wrong?

What you are talking about is urban fantasy. Low fantasy is when there is a fantasy world, but magic does not play the most important part in it's story. A good example is First Law by Joe Abercrombie, because although there is magic, there are no more than few true wizards in the entire world, and who even cares about any wizard when you can have 10 000 guys with swords instead?

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    chrisnl wrote: »

I thought that was magical realism

• Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    Magical realism is when you sprinkle random weird magic into otherwise mundane. Like Gabriel Garcia Marquez writing the story of a family across several generations off real history but then like one of the aunts grows wings and flys off to heaven one day.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Is that unusual