Options

I have never played Chrono Trigger. Is it worth playing today?

Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club ChampionA fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
See the title. It's something that I've been considering every since I saw the Android version on sale and read reviews about how terrible that port was and how it deserved better. It got me thinking that everyone I knew back when this game first came out loved it to bits, and I never got the chance to play it, and by the time I could get it on my own the SNES was two generations old.

What do you guys think? Should I play it now? (not the Android port, obviously)

I have never played Chrono Trigger. Is it worth playing today? 182 votes

Yes - Chrono Trigger is one of the greatest games of all time! You must play it, you troglodyte! You philistine! You uncultured swine!
85%
LegacyShortySniperGuyMunkus BeaverschussdarkmayoSyphonBluezipidideeRed or AliveAlucard6986TheBlackWindsee317AumniAshtonDragonEmperorSethBursarJavenDaveTheWaveRenzoff7007 155 votes
No - Chrono Trigger was good for its time but it's just kind of meh now
7%
A duck!Mojo_JojotaliosfalconRear Admiral ChocoDarkewolfeA Half Eaten OreoGroveStabbity StyleFiggyDalantiaMadicanbrynhrtmnfurbatGuildNav 14 votes
No - Chrono Trigger sucks
0%
No - you are not cool enough to play Chrono Trigger
2%
Al_watEat it You Nasty Pig.EtiowsaSeGaTai 4 votes
I vote that this is a dumb poll and curse you and your House for wasting my time
4%
dispatch.oBahamutZEROShadowfireBrodyCheeselikerKoopahTroopahMrVyngaardPolaritiediscrider 9 votes

• Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    Yes - Chrono Trigger is one of the greatest games of all time! You must play it, you troglodyte! You philistine! You uncultured swine!
    Hmm. Yeah, I think it holds up. The sprite work is nice, the combat system is decent, the music is good, the plot has some good stuff in there.

It's just a good game.

• Options
    milk ducksmilk ducks High Mucky Muck Big Tits TownRegistered User regular
    There's nothing I can say about Chrono Trigger that hasn't already been written about by people more articulate and expressive than I am, but Chrono Trigger is a masterstroke. It's a Pantheon-quality game from a "Dream Team" of developers that fires on all cylinders, and it's easily my favorite game of all time. Every element of the experience (from score and sound design, to plot and character development, to combat and exploration and more) is a 10 out of 10. I know it sounds like I'm over-hyping it, and maybe some folks will say that I am, but I don't honestly think it's even possible to over-hype this game. That's how fucking good it is.

• Options
    Here, @Inquisitor77 . You should check this out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GGb0mO4z7Y

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I wish there was a more mild-mannered 'yes' answer.

If it requires jumping hoops, don't feel the need to play it. The Steam version is based on a pretty shoddy port they did to iOS but it's better than nothing. The game is fun, and it's story doesn't get up its own ass like most time-travel narratives do.

• Options
    JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    There are... a couple of versions out there:

-Super Nintendo
    - PlayStation 1
    - Nintendo DS
    - iOS/Android
    - Steam

If you had a choice... the SNES or DS versions are the best ones. PS1 is okay if you don't mind the loadtimes, and well, everything else is still CT but not as good as the other versions.

But yeah, this is a pretty damned solid RPG that you ought to play at least once through. If you really wanted, you could try and find all the endings...

steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    It's the best. Best game.

Best game in town.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    JaysonFour wrote: »
    There are... a couple of versions out there:

-Super Nintendo
    - PlayStation 1
    - Nintendo DS
    - iOS/Android
    - Steam

If you had a choice... the SNES or DS versions are the best ones. PS1 is okay if you don't mind the loadtimes, and well, everything else is still CT but not as good as the other versions.

But yeah, this is a pretty damned solid RPG that you ought to play at least once through. If you really wanted, you could try and find all the endings...

I'm a purist, but I'll take the PS1 version over the others because it adds in some nice cinematics and otherwise leaves the experience as it was. I know everyone praises the DS version, but they added in so much content and it just doesn't feel necessary. I can't imagine pitching the Arena of Ages, like, "You know what would make the best game of all time better? A Pokemon-style battle arena", and not getting literally laughed out of the room. The DS version also takes away Frog's accent, which honestly just irritates me.

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    PS1 version also has better ending tracking, so you can remember which ones you have yet to get.

• Options
    FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular
    Chrono trigger remains an amazing game as long as you like JRPGs. Well worth a playthrough even today.

• Options
    Genji-GlovesGenji-Gloves Registered User regular
    It’s superb and deserves attention. It’s a well constructed JRPG with many things that make it memorable.

It’s still aged very well and the OST always brings back fond memories of playing it back in the day on the Snes.

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    okay, so.

I was 6 or 7 when i first rented Chrono Trigger. Back then i couldn't speak a lick of English. i popped it in my Super NES and checked out the attract mode, as i always did.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7d8kWeDfeUc

That was a revelation.

I had always liked video games. Like, i played them, i enjoyed them, video games were cool... I liked them.

but seeing that, a full-fledged movie summarized in 3 minutes? It made me understand that video games were not just Super Mario World or Donkey Kong Country. It made me reaize that they were more than that, that they could have affecting stories. It made me realize that video game could make you feel emotions, like movies. That attract mode opened my eyes to the level of care and talent that was put into a video game.

It took years before i played it again, after knowing English, and being able to beat it. i never owned it but i rented it many, many times.

Note that i knew games had stories sometimes, as FF6 was out by the time i played Chrono Trigger, i believe..... but the presentation in FF6 was drabber and didn't succinctly summazrize how powerful the story was in an attract mode.

SO While i now think FF6 is a better games on the SNES, Chrono Trigger always has been and always will be the video game that opened my eyes on what video games could be.

SO YA, i think you should play Chrono Trigger. Also Chrono Cross. And Chrono Break.

• Options
    Road BlockRoad Block Registered User regular
    Time has treated Chrono Trigger extremely kindly. The mechanics hold up extremely well and the story is of course as good as ever. It's also quite fast paced for a jrpg. A full run should take around 20 hours and yet there is so much crammed into it. No fear of needing to grind for hours here.

That said, if you get the DS version. Skip the extras.

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    I wish the randomized dungeons and superboss werent gated behind Fetch Quest Mountain.

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    The PS1 version has the animated cutscenes and the original intro. <Wags finger at DS version>

Also, you used to be able to get it on the Wii Virtual Console.

I guess the ps1 version plays fine on the PS3.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    If you have access to it without needing to buy a whole console for it, sure why not. It's a good game. The things that it's good at haven't changed much in video games at all.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    The DS version is the PS1 version only with more content and no load time bullshit.

• Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    Chrono Trigger is timeless. If it were released today as an indie game it would be very well received, still way better than most new RPGs.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    I vote that this is a dumb poll and curse you and your House for wasting my time
    Funny I just started playing through Chrono Trigger on my SNES classic recently.

Yes you should play it.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Henroid wrote: »
    The DS version is the PS1 version only with more content and no load time bullshit.

And a retranslation. Which is super subjective, I know.

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Chrono Trigger is the best game ever made

so

uh

yes you should play it

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    DibbyDibby I'll do my best! Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    rent it from blockbuster to see if you like it first--

wait, hold on-- wh-- huh? it's... not the 90's??? blockbuster doesn't exist anymore????????????

what year is this??????

Dibby on
    DNiDlnb.png
    Battle.net Tag: Dibby#1582
  • Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    CT has aged better than most any other JRPG from the era (with the possible exception of SMRPG)

It's one of if not the best RPG of all time so yes, play it.

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    redundant_pairingredundant_pairing Registered User regular
    KetBra wrote: »
    CT has aged better than most any other JRPG from the era (with the possible exception of SMRPG)

FFVI, Secret of Mana, Seiken Densatsu 3, Bahamut Lagoon all aged pretty well. I think that the 16bit era has held up pretty well in general. Namely because it did sprite based stuff really well.

• Options
    RonTheDMRonTheDM Yes, yes Registered User regular
    the music is ... good?

GOOD?!

*flips table, freaks out*

• Options
    edited May 2019

FFVI, Secret of Mana, Seiken Densatsu 3, Bahamut Lagoon all aged pretty well. I think that the 16bit era has held up pretty well in general. Namely because it did sprite based stuff really well.

hmmmm i played Seiken 3 for the first time last year and iiiiiiii kinda didn't like it that much?

90% of that game's combat was done via menu selection. like literally pop open menu select spell for party member A, open menu select spell for party member B, open menu select spell for party member C. felt like i wasn't even playing the game at that point. granted, i had all three girls as my party members so it was very spellcast heavy, but. I DUNNO.

it was okay, but i look at that what that game was and i compare it to other actiony RPGs that came later and i personally feel it didn't age supes well? i also never played Secret of Mana either, but now i kinda don't really want to based on Seiken 3.

ANYWAY, sorry, tangent~

Dibby on
    DNiDlnb.png
  • Options
    RonTheDMRonTheDM Yes, yes Registered User regular
    Secret of Mana and Chrono Trigger are brothers

They are paragons in the realm of jrpgs and I cherish them both

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    OK, sounds like there's an overwhelming consensus here...

Now for the follow-up:

Is it worth purchasing a DS/2DS/2DS XL/3DS/3DS XL in order to play this game?

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular

Now for the follow-up:

Well there are tooooooooooooonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnsssssssssssssssssssssss of other great games for DS and 3DS so yes

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

Now for the follow-up:

Well there are tooooooooooooonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnsssssssssssssssssssssss of other great games for DS and 3DS so yes

the DS/3DS library is really good, yeah

just keep in mind that the 3DS has been sunset for the Switch so there aren't going to be any new games coming out for it

but yes i would also recommend getting one, if you have any interest in the 3DS's library of games. 2DS is pretty cheap in particular since it forgoes the gimmicky 3D (never used a day in my liiiiiife).

Dibby on
    DNiDlnb.png
  • Options
    Romantic UndeadRomantic Undead Registered User regular
    What do you guys think the over/under is on the Chrono Trigger coming out for the Switch in the near future?

I mean, they did just release a whole smack of Final Fantasies, so I have to imagine someone's thinking about it.

3DS FC: 1547-5210-6531
  • Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    I'm actually playing through the DS version right now! I'm sure I must have played the original version at some point but I couldn't remember any of the details, so it was all fairly new feeling. It definitely holds up pretty well, but part of that is of how 'light' it feels - it's a whirlwind tour through a plot without the slow focus on characters some newer rpgs would have. It's also pretty light on mechanics, and mostly pretty easy combat, so if you're looking for a challenge this isn't it. (There are a couple bosses which are stupidly hard and require either some grinding or some specific knowledge of their weaknesses) But it's fun to go through, and for how convoluted the plot is, it all makes sense. I'm in the endgame stuff now, and doing what I imagine is some of the DS version extra stuff, but I haven't finished enough to have an opinion on it yet.

sig.gif
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

Now for the follow-up:

Don't forget GBA games because it has the native hardware.

• Options
    redundant_pairingredundant_pairing Registered User regular
    Secret of Mana and Chrono Trigger are brothers

They are paragons in the realm of jrpgs and I cherish them both

Very true, shame about the mana remake though.... but of course I still finished it

• Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Those Chrono Trigger fans who spent years hungering for any whisper of a hint of the game 'Chrono Break,' get ready to have your hearts broken.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3SU5dDBwCI

Before you lose your minds like I did, it's a fan-made trailer made purely for fun, and this is all there is of it. I discovered this video a few months ago, and this thread reminded me of it, and all must share my pain.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    Dibby wrote: »

hmmmm i played Seiken 3 for the first time last year and iiiiiiii kinda didn't like it that much?

90% of that game's combat was done via menu selection. like literally pop open menu select spell for party member A, open menu select spell for party member B, open menu select spell for party member C. felt like i wasn't even playing the game at that point. granted, i had all three girls as my party members so it was very spellcast heavy, but. I DUNNO.

it was okay, but i look at that what that game was and i compare it to other actiony RPGs that came later and i personally feel it didn't age supes well? i also never played Secret of Mana either, but now i kinda don't really want to based on Seiken 3.

ANYWAY, sorry, tangent~

I felt like Illusion of Gaia and especially Terranigma did what the secret of mana series did but better in every way, but I know thats probably not the most popular opinion.

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular

As someone who has recently played FFVI for the first time...

It has not aged nearly as well

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular
    If anyone tells youthat you shouldn't play CT, tell them to leave. You dont need that negativity in your life.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    I wish I had a way to play Illusion of Gaia that wasn't hooking up my snes and putting the cart in.

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    That’s a damn conclusive poll

I forgot I have a snes Classic

There goes my weekend

• Options
    Wow, really? There’s not even a shitty mobile port or obscure Japan-only collection?