As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Slay the Spire] Slay the Spire 2 confirmed for EA 2025!

• Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Wyvern wrote: »
    Silent is still my favorite. You figure out in the first Act if you’re going to go poison, shiv, or power (as a general rule of thumb; decks sometimes have to adapt into some hybrid of those, but it’s generally not as strong as picking one and sticking to it).

Power decks are my favorite, but there’s a lot of crossover between poison and power as Silent. Bouncing Flask is probably my favorite card for getting poison going, with Noxious Fumes a close second. You don’t necessarily need Catalyst to make poison work, but it helps.
    What usually happens to me is that halfway through act one I've received no poison cards and no shiv force multipliers and then I spend the next half hour waiting for death and it's miserable.

I probably need to be taking a lot more direct attack cards as stopgap problem solvers, but since most of them make zero contribution towards your eventual win condition I have no idea which ones or how many.

Two or three.

Generally, act 1 is all about two things: One, trading health for advantage. Two: Finding enough Stuff to let you beat the act 1 boss (Scaling for heaxghost, Burst/AoE for Slime Boss, scaling/defense for Guardian). a sub third goal is preparing for act 2, which means finding AoE - Crippling Cloud+ is a premium card because it dunks on act 2 (it can do some work in act 1, but generally is useless in the fight you need it most - tri sentries), as is Corpse Explosion.

Goal One is how you get the other two sorted, which helps you with the next two, you need to beat up elites. So:

Strike+ is about the level of card you're looking to put into your deck (in terms of Damage/Energy) to deal with Act 1 elites. Dash is a particularly good one, Dagger Spray is (almost) a must take vs Slime Boss - but it's very weak vs Lavagulin. (If you had a Flex Pot, i'd take it though just for giving you a super powerful burst turn), All Out Attack can do some work, Die Die Die is great. Quick Slash is notable as it wearily upgrades with +4 damage, and 12 damage + Cantrip for one energy is pretty good. Deadly Poison/Deadly Poison+ can be very nice to pop in your deck - bad vs Gremlin Nob, but otherwise it's potent damage that scales. My deck that perfected all 6 bosses used a mix of deadly poison+ and catalyst to pull of it's wins, with little to no other poison sources.

I will note i dont agree with Joshofalltrades about how they're approaching silent archtypes. Generally i look at Poison as a scaling option (Can become a burst/frontloading option with Catalsty), Shivs are for Value/Burst , and powers are taken depending onwhat i need and why. (Like Noxious Fumes is a scaling Card. Wraith Form and Footwork are for solving defensive issues, and can be mutually exclusive. After Image works well with most defensive decks and helps solve for Beat of Death, as wellas being a way to lean into Shiv value).

Re: Shivs - Shiv cards are kinda shitty in general. Buuuuut when you can say, play Blade Dance+ and have it instead read "1 energy: Do 12+ damage, Gain 1 Dex, Inflict 6 Poision" like that's suddenly a very, very good card.

Also, re: your problem - The other thing to do is when you'e taking attack cards, prune out shivs aggressively. This is one reason that Astrolabe and Pandora's Box are such strong boss relics - removing strikes to replace them with (generally) better cards is a very potent option, and a deck flows much better when it's not drawing cards that read "1 energy: do 6 damage". That's... just an awful card!

Sorry i havent been streaming by the way all - I fell into a Oxygen Not Included pit + got run over by my health again. You'll defintely see a lot of me soon when the Fourth class hits!

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Well you’re the expert; I have only gotten to Ascension 17.

• Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    edited August 2019

Sorry if i came across as dumping on you!

Worth noting that all my advice also comes form the lenses of A20/Heartkills. That is to say, it's entirely optimised around "Punch the game right in the guts at the hardest difficulty." It may or not be helpful at lower difficulties!

Edit: also, dood - A17 is still a very impressive achievement!

The Zombie Penguin on
  • Options
    Drake ChambersDrake Chambers Lay out my formal shorts. Registered User regular

Worth noting that all my advice also comes form the lenses of A20/Heartkills. That is to say, it's entirely optimised around "Punch the game right in the guts at the hardest difficulty." It may or not be helpful at lower difficulties!

I dunno, is there actually some kind of switch-up of mechanics that takes place at higher Ascension that requires you to throw out previously learned lessons? I'd think something that reliably gets you an A20/Heartkill should accomplish the same at, say, A10 basically every time?

• Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    Do we know anything about the new class yet?

Also, still plugging away at ascension ranks. I’m still capped at a11 for silent and ironclad, and a14 with defect. Act 2 continues to be my kryptonite, if I can get past that I have a reasonably good chance of winning. But all those bosses ruin me pretty hard.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    I might be higher than 17, but I have been starting over on Switch which is a far more convenient platform than my laptop.

• Options
    BSoBBSoB Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    I'm playing back through a new save to get hyped for the new class.

Accidentally got the sub 20 min 'cheevo while playing ironclad on A5. Basically got 100 gold from Neow and bought a brimstone floor 2, and went "Fuck it, lets go."

Started removing defends and going all out. It turned out to be a 5 energy run, which made it all the better. I never got a Limit Break, but I killed Blue bird's second form in 1 turn.
    lh8co9lpi04b.jpg

BSoB on
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular

I dunno, is there actually some kind of switch-up of mechanics that takes place at higher Ascension that requires you to throw out previously learned lessons? I'd think something that reliably gets you an A20/Heartkill should accomplish the same at, say, A10 basically every time?

A20 Heart runs you have to take bigger risks because you need the bigger rewards. So it's not that the lessons won't transfer exactly, but that you can win more consistently at A10 by being less gambling because you don't need the "high risk high reward" as much

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    Went back to my PC save to try a couple of A17 runs and I think the Switch has made me soft

• Options
    Although I’m not sure the game is more enjoyable at higher ascensions... but maybe once I beat A20 everything else will just seem too easy

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    ffffffffffff

Almost finally got a Defect win, but literally choked at the last second. The shapes bosses were sub-10 HP and one swung for a massive 45ish hit, and I had no answers.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options

The big thing is that a17-19 introduces new, tougher movesets for everything. (Sentries give you three statuses, nob always buffs, vulns you, then starts swinging hard).

Then a20 makes it so you fight two bosses, not one.

Combined this means that as like @kime mentions, you have to take some higher risk approachs. But it also means things like you just cannot over commit to powers, or playing tons of low impact cards - you'll get crushed by time eater or awoken one if you do.

Then act 4 puts further challenges - you Have to be able to put up huge amounts of block on turn 2 + 3 in both fights, or find alternate solutions

So in a nutshell, while my advice is still applicable at lower difficulties, it's also distorted if that makes sense

• Options
    WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    This was a silly run.
    srjvm69ig316.png

I had never seen Unceasing Top really come online before. That relic is real dumb in Defect where you have a bunch of Turbos. I rapidly hit a point where turn one or two of every battle was pretty much "play your entire deck". There wasn't anything in the deck, particularly, but I got to play the whole thing! The fun was over after the shuffle, of course. Voids everywhere. I was also stuck with a Writhe for a bit.

I did not have the Echo Form, the second Biased Cognition, or the Creative AI until very, very late. Creative AI in particular was from the very last battle before the boss. Which, of course, was Time Keeper. I thought I was a dead woman at the start of act three, but I lucked out with those scaling picks. I think I had five layers of Biased Cognition up on the last turn of the boss fight. My lightning orb passive damage was like 25 (not counting Lock-On).

The secret MVP of the deck, though, was actually Discovery. My initial Neow picks were all terrible, so I wound up taking a random neutral uncommon, which was Madness, which I rapidly transformed into Discovery. Since the deck sorely lacked any big power plays, I was pretty dependent on Discovery to pull the heavy shit for most of the run, which worked surprisingly consistently. It coughs up a lot of good powers on Defect.

Wyvern on
    Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
  • Options
    Very nice!

As a hot tip for Unceasing Top - if you get it on Silent, grab Concentrate. Ideally, non-upgraded concentrate even! Then grab more concentrates. (Do NOT grab the "When you discard this card, do x" cards, they do not play nice iwht Unceasing top).

Unceasing top gives you card draw, but you often dont have energy to play the draws it's giving you. Concentrate solves that! Unceasing Top also makes Hovering Kite very takeable (Gaining more energy at cost for crippling your card draw is... awful. HK would still be nasty if it made you discard one, for instance, two is just crazy bad). Since, again, it gives you card draw. So now you can spend that extra energy.

Very fun relic when you can make it go off!

• Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    Wyvern wrote: »
    This was a silly run.
    srjvm69ig316.png

I had never seen Unceasing Top really come online before. That relic is real dumb in Defect where you have a bunch of Turbos. I rapidly hit a point where turn one or two of every battle was pretty much "play your entire deck". There wasn't anything in the deck, particularly, but I got to play the whole thing! The fun was over after the shuffle, of course. Voids everywhere. I was also stuck with a Writhe for a bit.

I did not have the Echo Form, the second Biased Cognition, or the Creative AI until very, very late. Creative AI in particular was from the very last battle before the boss. Which, of course, was Time Keeper. I thought I was a dead woman at the start of act three, but I lucked out with those scaling picks. I think I had five layers of Biased Cognition up on the last turn of the boss fight. My lightning orb passive damage was like 25 (not counting Lock-On).

The secret MVP of the deck, though, was actually Discovery. My initial Neow picks were all terrible, so I wound up taking a random neutral uncommon, which was Madness, which I rapidly transformed into Discovery. Since the deck sorely lacked any big power plays, I was pretty dependent on Discovery to pull the heavy shit for most of the run, which worked surprisingly consistently. It coughs up a lot of good powers on Defect.

Defect has the most cards that add extra energy and also the most zero cost cards.

Spinning top is amazing for defect.

• Options
    AkimboEGAkimboEG Mr. Fancypants Wears very fine pants indeedRegistered User regular
    This was by far my best Ironclad run yet. I had trouble with damage output until that Demon Form came along, but from a certain point onward I was basically untouchable.
    1C1EEC0D6DEE19FC183AE8A813F3BEAAE337DB98
    D94E83C00D2E983CF605C6334DEB19E96BEE08BD

Give me a kiss to build a dream on; And my imagination will thrive upon that kiss; Sweetheart, I ask no more than this; A kiss to build a dream on
  • Options
    akjakakjak Thera Spooky GymRegistered User regular
    I had Unceasing Top once in an Ironclad deck with lots of Seeing Red+, Flex, and Anger. It was funny.

Switch: SW-4133-1546-2720 (Thera)
    Twitch: akThera
    Steam: Thera
  • Options
    I never pick up Flex anymore... maybe it would be worth it with unceasing top + panacea

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    I never pick up Flex anymore... maybe it would be worth it with unceasing top + panacea

Really, just Panacea, which is a very good Act 1 shop gamble with any class if slightly worse on Ironclad given the returns on Wraith Form and Biased Cognition are better.

• Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    I mean, Flex is pretty decent with Orange Pellets or even Limit Break. It's arguably not the worst with Runic Pyramid either.
    It's not the best Ironclad card or anything, but Flex isn't that bad, it's just not what you want most of the time. There are plenty of cards that wind up under that banner, in my experience.

• Options
    Arithon32Arithon32 Member of the Pinquisition Registered User regular
    I recently started playing this on Xbox, and cleared The Silent and The Defect in relatively short order, but I cannot get any headway past Act 2 with the Ironclad. I've had a few decks that seem promising, but it always peters out at or near the boss.

vru37z14gk5j.png

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Arithon32 wrote: »
    I recently started playing this on Xbox, and cleared The Silent and The Defect in relatively short order, but I cannot get any headway past Act 2 with the Ironclad. I've had a few decks that seem promising, but it always peters out at or near the boss.

First off, let me start by saying your P-Chan avatar is amazing. Second, you've come to the right place. We'll have you smashing spires in no time.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Ironclad is the hardest for me

Steam profile
  • Options
    Auralynx wrote: »

Really, just Panacea, which is a very good Act 1 shop gamble with any class if slightly worse on Ironclad given the returns on Wraith Form and Biased Cognition are better.

One of the reasons i adore this game: Totally different strategies between players! I cannot remember the last time i bought panacea - I tend to prefer getting my artefact sources elsewhere.

Re: Flex - personally, for me it's a card i take when i've got Runic Pyramid and want Strength, or if i'm just desperate for strength sources and have plenty of card draw. It's main issue tends to be it's a very weak card draw (Adding a strikes worth of damage if you play 3 attacks with i in act 1 normally), but Heavy Blade and Sword Boomerang are good reasons to want any and all strength. (And they're cards i'd take early act 1 just because i had a flex potion and wanted to make an elite die). And hell, sometimes you have limit break and you need a way to prime your strength

@Kime are there any particular areas giving you grief? Happy to do a big write up on Ironclad strats etc if people are keen!

• Options
    Auralynx wrote: »

One of the reasons i adore this game: Totally different strategies between players! I cannot remember the last time i bought panacea - I tend to prefer getting my artefact sources elsewhere.

Re: Flex - personally, for me it's a card i take when i've got Runic Pyramid and want Strength, or if i'm just desperate for strength sources and have plenty of card draw. It's main issue tends to be it's a very weak card draw (Adding a strikes worth of damage if you play 3 attacks with i in act 1 normally), but Heavy Blade and Sword Boomerang are good reasons to want any and all strength. (And they're cards i'd take early act 1 just because i had a flex potion and wanted to make an elite die). And hell, sometimes you have limit break and you need a way to prime your strength

Kime are there any particular areas giving you grief? Happy to do a big write up on Ironclad strats etc if people are keen!

I haven't played in a while, so I don't remember specifics. I've also A20'd with Ironclad (can't remember if it was a heart run or not), so I can hold my own OK. Definitely took the longest to rank him up there though.

Steam profile
  • Options
    Arithon32Arithon32 Member of the Pinquisition Registered User regular
    Tried a few more times and still no luck with the Ironclad, but the Daily Run with The Silent was just the kind of Catharsis I needed. Started drafting a solid poison deck, but after a few relics ended up with a Shiv tossing monster that crushed the tower with ease.

vru37z14gk5j.png

• Options
    Arithon32 wrote: »
    Tried a few more times and still no luck with the Ironclad, but the Daily Run with The Silent was just the kind of Catharsis I needed. Started drafting a solid poison deck, but after a few relics ended up with a Shiv tossing monster that crushed the tower with ease.

Correction: Toppled the tower.

• Options
    TairuTairu Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Anyone else playing on Switch? I'm trying to figure out why my game is stuck in Offline mode.

Quick google search says that the Switch version hasn't been updated to have leaderboards and stuff yet (this was from a month or two ago), but my friend is also playing on Switch and his is fine. He plays the Daily Climb every day and mine hasn't changed in like a week.

Edit: NEVERMIND, he just had a different pre-loaded daily climb than me, but still in offline mode.

Tairu on
  • Options
    Paging @Iolo welcome to the Spire!

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    Paging @Iolo welcome to the Spire!

One of Us. One of Us. One of Us. One of Us. Caw-Caw!

• Options
    Got to Ascension 18 with my Ironclad and Silent today, maybe I’m not as bad as I thought

• Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Oh hey, have you guys heard of this game, Slay the Spire? It's pretty good!

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    kime wrote: »

For me it’s the Silent. I understand conceptually how they are supposed to deal damage... but in practice it just feels like I’m hitting everything with a wet towel.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    Sometimes you are, and other times you have, like, the card that makes something vulnerable forever* and a couple of Glass Knives and you deal like ... What, 70 damage out of three cards?
    The only big damage that lasts is grand finale, but that's it's own mini-game to make work ...

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    kime wrote: »

For me it’s the Silent. I understand conceptually how they are supposed to deal damage... but in practice it just feels like I’m hitting everything with a wet towel.

Massive amounts of card draw is what I go for with Silent. After that everything else seems to fall into place. My last run had dead branch and ninja scroll with 2 of the power cards that give me shivs every turn.

YRLxQ4J.jpg

I took 0 damage that fight.

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    Paging @Fencingsax welcome to the Spire!

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    It's beeeeen a while. I blame combintion of trippy mental health, and Oxygen Not Included (a very fun game! Where else can you drown in piss because verything went 'orribly wrong?).

You know what that means? It's ssssstream time! Link in my sig.

For those new to the thread: I regularly stream Slay the Spire with a focus on creating tutorial and educational content for it. Always happy to answer questions or explain why what i'm about to do is going to get us all killed horribly.

• Options
    MorranMorran Registered User regular
    I'm slowly working my way up through the ascension levels. A question; is the difficulty increasing in any way other than the unique modifiers per level? Like, is the only difference between ascension 5 and 6 that in one the bosses are more difficult, and in the other you heal less after beating a boss? Or, is there also a higher difficulty for e.g. slightly more life or damage for all enemies?

• Options
    AkimboEGAkimboEG Mr. Fancypants Wears very fine pants indeedRegistered User regular
    Morran wrote: »
    I'm slowly working my way up through the ascension levels. A question; is the difficulty increasing in any way other than the unique modifiers per level? Like, is the only difference between ascension 5 and 6 that in one the bosses are more difficult, and in the other you heal less after beating a boss? Or, is there also a higher difficulty for e.g. slightly more life or damage for all enemies?
    The effects accumulate. So in ascension 1 elites will spawn more often, in ascension 2 normal enemies are deadlier AND elites will spawn more often, and so on. But yes, the new effects listed on each ascension level are the only difference.

Give me a kiss to build a dream on; And my imagination will thrive upon that kiss; Sweetheart, I ask no more than this; A kiss to build a dream on
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Okay, there we go, got my first Silent win in finally. Man... this deck was incredibly silly.

EfK6Mm2.jpg

Especially when you get a bunch of strength buffs rolling in from the Shuriken and all the Shiv's and the relics. Those buffs made things like the Bane's and Riddle With Holes hit like trucks, on top of all the poison I was also doing.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch