As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Slay the Spire] Slay the Spire 2 confirmed for EA 2025!

• Options
    HiT BiTHiT BiT 🍒 Fresh, straight from Pac-man's Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    Welcome HiT BiT to the Spire! We've been waiting for you my friend.
    This game is 1000% more addictive than you've read. Good luck!
    See, aftEr reachiNg the 3rD map on my first playthrough and dying at the Hands of a tricky Enemy group I can objectiveLy assert that People are right when they say that this game can be quite addictive.

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2019
    HiT BiT wrote: »
    See, aftEr reachiNg the 3rD map on my first playthrough and dying at the Hands of a tricky Enemy group I can objectiveLy assert that People are right when they say that this game can be quite addictive.

You defiNitely run intO sOme tough fights oN thE thIrd floor. Saving potions Can OvercoMe the spike In power the New enemies Gain. Good luck!

MNC Dover on
    Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Missed a letter I think

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    kime wrote: »
    Missed a letter I think
    F U :|

• Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    HiT BiT wrote: »

Sir! It appears you're trying to SHIRK YOUR SPIRE SLAYING DUTIES.

We do not accept such behaviour around here.

There will be... consequences.

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Act 1:

"Well, nothing in this first relic set is that good, but I have a Periapt, so let's go Calling Bell..."

Act 2:

"Oh, okay, that seems pretty effective, especially with the Necronomicon. Hey, a Snecko Eye, let's grab a Corruption."
    511DAC7C5743A448ED3A4EC9EC304E3C11E9BD4E

Act 3:

"I heard you were trying to mitigate Snecko Eye problems with a Corruption. You know what? Have a Dead Branch. Enjoy your heart kill. Also, a Prism, just because!"

E: Now with correct screenshot.

Auralynx on
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Super jealous of that run! Maybe I’ll have to steal your seed...

Wait, that sounded super creepy just now.

• Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Super jealous of that run! Maybe I’ll have to steal your seed...

Wait, that sounded super creepy just now.

Get your own seed, Geez.

• Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Auralynx wrote: »
    Act 1:

"Well, nothing in this first relic set is that good, but I have a Periapt, so let's go Calling Bell..."

Act 2:

"Oh, okay, that seems pretty effective, especially with the Necronomicon. Hey, a Snecko Eye, let's grab a Corruption."

Act 3:

"I heard you were trying to mitigate Snecko Eye problems with a Corruption. You know what? Have a Dead Branch. Enjoy your heart kill. Also, a Prism, just because!"

I love and hate this because every time I try similar with Calling Bell (having a relic or two that invites curses), it winds up shitting like 2x Normality + 1x Regret or Pain (the ones that deal damage for holding or playing cards) at me and my run is just over. :P

ArcticLancer on
  • Options
    McHogerMcHoger Registered User regular
    Just had a really fun Ironclad run where I got a really early Whirlwind and bought a Chemical X at the first store. After how long I spent trying to ascend the Defect from 5 to 6, it felt really good to ascend with the Ironclad on my first go.

• Options
    Act 1:

Act 2:

Act 3:

I love and hate this because every time I try similar with Calling Bell (having a relic or two that invites curses), it winds up shitting like 2x Normality + 1x Regret or Pain (the ones that deal damage for holding or playing cards) at me and my run is just over. :P

Hey, after the next patch that wont be an issue! You'll just get an unremovable Injury in your deck instead!

• Options
    Arithon32Arithon32 Member of the Pinquisition Registered User regular
    FINALLY! Toppled the Tower with the Ironclad. Snecko Eye allowed some great Spot Weakness and Limit Break shenanigans that ended with me smashing the Awoken One for over 250 health in one Heavy Blow.

BRING ON ASCENSIONS!!!

vru37z14gk5j.png

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Act 1:

Act 2:

Act 3:

Most such plays end up burning you if you're not already set up to enable them. This one came with only one Pain I cleared pretty quick - 1 less to start woth was no big deal since I had the Limit Break+ already.

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Act 1:

Act 2:

Act 3:

I will totally savescum a bad Calling Bell roll, especially if the run is looking good.
    Don't hate! I ain't got time to play by your rules!

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
  • Options
    BSoBBSoB Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    My fastest loss ever was definitely a neow trade my starting relic get a calling bell.

BSoB on
  • Options
    That's a good story, but it's like, an A18(ish?) rite of passage to at some point die to Jaw Worm because of stupid draws. :P

• Options
    I mean, getting the Du-Vu Doll off the bell is obviously a good sign in and of itself, as well.

• Options
    edited September 2019
    FOURTH CLASS IS AVAIL ON BETA BRANCH.

THIS IS NOT A DRILL.

The watcher is here.

BSoB on
  • Options
    and I died to the guardian on A0.

HOW I DO DAMAGE?!

• Options
    MirkelMirkel FinlandRegistered User regular
    edited September 2019
    I got to Collector, then entered Wrath without a backup plan and got slapped for 72. The damage options do seem really lacking so far, it's a real pain in the ass to kill anything. Even if I had gotten to Act 3 I have no idea how I was supposed to be scaling there.

Mirkel on
  • Options
    I got an A0 win by getting a retain damage card that buffs itself up, a power that puts me into divine mode once every 4 turns, and a shit load of block.

Talk to the hand is an awesome card BTW, it's debuff is permanent. So it's like having a rage that lasts forever.
    10rawky16ost.jpg

• Options
    The Watcher has a 1-mana "Reprogram your whole deck" card (when upgraded) haha.

Steam profile
  • Options
    I'm just having breakfast now and sorting a few things, but once i'm done i'll be kicking my stream live for some A20 Watcher goodness. Gonna start things off with a patch review and go from there! I'll post once i'm ready to go, hopefully look forward to chatting with you all <3

• Options
    Hahahaha there's a card, "Gain Divinity, DIE NEXT TURN" :P

Anyways, a rundown of the basics of the Watcher from what I've seen, if anyone was curious.
    Main mechanic is Stances, you enter a stance via cards and they last till you change them by default.

Wrath Stance doubles the damage you give AND take.
    Calm Stance gives you two mana when you LEAVE it.
    Divinity Stance gives you three mana when you enter it and triples your damage. However, Divinity Stance only lasts one turn, and you can't get it directly besides the card I posted above. You have to gain Mantra from cards that say they grant it (usually 2-5 per card that gives it), and 10 Mantra transforms into Divinity automatically.

Watcher has a decent amount of Retain cards, which stay in your hand until used (not the first time we've seen this mechanic, but the first it's been tied to specific cards I think).

Some interesting cards too besides just those.

Steam profile
  • Options
    Grrrrr. I cannot get my save file edits to stick with the watcher. And the internet is being useless or giving me troll replies =/

Super frustrating! Stream delayed until i'm not spitting tacks and have figured this out

• Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    I'm just having breakfast now and sorting a few things, but once i'm done i'll be kicking my stream live for some A20 Watcher goodness. Gonna start things off with a patch review and go from there! I'll post once i'm ready to go, hopefully look forward to chatting with you all <3

Don't you have to unlock A1-19 still?

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    This new Watcher character is a lot to grok all at once. Is there like an easy seed that would help teach the mechanics?

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    The easy seed is...just die a lot.

• Options
    Burtletoy wrote: »

Don't you have to unlock A1-19 still?

Yeah, i've edited my save file so that i just start with A20 and all the cards unlocked. Frankly, playing on A0 is confusing

• Options
    edited September 2019
    I have a new favorite combo.

The card Alpha, gives you beta, the card beta gives you omega which is a "deal 50 damage a turn" power.

The card wish finds any card in your deck and plays it twice.

7k0hkc90hl0d.jpg
    That is one sad Chosen.

BSoB on
  • Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    Gremlin Nob FUCKS the Watcher

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Watcher has a lot of “holy shit that’s good” cards

• Options
    Honestly, my inital tinkering indicates its' a class with a ton of potential, a lot of issues in wanting to be VERY combo based in a game that's not always combo friendly, and She has the worst starting deck of the four. Her draw/calm stance seems like it should have an Energy shaved off, and her 2e attack would be vastly improved if it said "Enter Wrath, Deal [M] Damage" rather than it's current order

That and it seems she's just got a learning curve that's closer to a learning cliff, there's no art for the cards yet... etcera.

• Options
    and She has the worst starting deck of the four.

Still two cards less than the actual worst starting deck.

• Options
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    and She has the worst starting deck of the four.

Still two cards less than the actual worst starting deck.

?

All the other classes have solid starter decks. Ironclad has Bash, which is just an amazing upgrade. Silent gets Survivor and Neutralise, which are relevant for the entire run 90% of the time. Neut is also a good upgrade, and Survivour's at least solid. Defect has Zap which is just an amazing upgrade, and Dualcast while often a late-game remove is a work-horse in the early game, giving you powerful spike damage/block.

The other thing that's killing The Watcher's starter deck is she has 2 2 cost cards, on a very energy starved budget. Clad has enough issues just playing Bash, and Bash is way less conditional to play.

• Options
    Survivor is a bad shrug the shoulders/leap.

Neutralize is a fine card.

1 extra strike and 1 extra defend, two of the worst cards in the game, is bad.

(I'm glad you've come around on dualcast :D)

I only looked at watcher for a minute and yes, 2 energy costs is bad in early game, but watcher also generates a free energy card to help?

• Options
    WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    I played a couple of rounds as the Watcher. At first glance, she seems...bad.

Vigilance is absolutely atrocious, and Eruption is basically Bash except if you don't win the turn you play it you instantly die. Eruption is really only playable under Calm, and your only source of Calm is basically never playable, so right off the bat your whole starting deck does basically nothing.

I just haven't seen any cards that make swapping back and forth between stances practical. How do you get out of Wrath after you enter it? If you leave it up you die. If you do a short combo and then terminate it with one of the "leave your stance" cards then you generated no block that turn and you probably die. Crescendo exhausts, so you can't even afford to leave it, really. And if you can't afford to cancel Calm into Wrath more than once or twice a battle without either dying or hobbling your deck, then what are you doing with the rest of your Calms? Using a stance-exiting card on a Calm is usually pointless because you don't have the card draw to spend the energy effectively. You can't cancel a Calm into a Calm, so you can't afford to have too many of them anyway.

I kind of like the whole concept of Retain and Scry in a combo deck in theory, but when you get right down to it Well-Laid Plans is a single card that does that as well or better than the Watcher's entire library, and Silent has other things going for her on top of that.

I dunno, maybe I'm missing something.

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
  • Options
    Duke 2.0 wrote: »
    Gremlin Nob FUCKS the Watcher

First try against nob as watcher

Eruption 9 + strike 6x2 + miracle/upgraded strike 9x2 = 39 damage

strike 6x2 + follow-up 5x2 (extra energy) + strike 6x2 + crush joints 9x2 = 52 damage

Zero damage fight with only commons (but probably luck to draw the eruption on turn one)

• Options
    NogginNoggin Registered User regular
    I was able to try it thanks to a reddit tip; you can copy all files from “preferences” into “beta preferences” to unlock it, as long as you’ve won with defect anyway.

It’s pretty cool, but especially confusing with placeholder art.

Meanwhile, I’ve been back at the regular game, trying to go for the bonus on A0 before trying ascensions. Ironclad was probably my least favorite before, but it’s growing on me.

Battletag: Noggin#1936