As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Slay the Spire] Slay the Spire 2 confirmed for EA 2025!

• Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    lol

If you play vault against the Nemesis on a turn when it had intangible, then when vault deals damage next turn when it no longer has intangible, it still only deals one damage

• Options
    SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    w e d i d i t

8hu0ajh1p2ir.jpg
    That's over 700 cards played turn one (because I thought the achievement was 100 strength, not 50).

I accidentally broke my infinite combo right before I took that screenshot, and then forgot that block goes away at the end of the turn and almost ended my turn before shielding up again.

The combo gets launched by Meteor Strike (turn one usually involves Madness) and from there it's basically just playing cards until you're looping through the three Skim+ and basically whatever else you want.

The ice cream and the relic that lets you keep your hand meant that it would consistently fire turn two.

onel8sdsm94p.jpg

• Options
    BSoBBSoB Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    I think blasphemy needs to be changed to exhaust.

Otherwise Blasphemy, adaption, meditate, flurry of blows is a pretty easy infinite damage. if you manage to land a talk to the hand, its infinite damage and block. It does take a turn or two to set up, depending on your deck size.

BSoB on
  • Options
    MirkelMirkel FinlandRegistered User regular
    BSoB wrote: »

Otherwise Blasphemy, adaption, meditate, flurry of blows is a pretty easy infinite damage. if you manage to land a talk to the hand, its infinite damage and block. It does take a turn or two to set up, depending on your deck size.

They should just change it to "You die next turn or if you play another Blasphemy." for extra funsies.

• Options
    SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    BSoB wrote: »

That won't let you kill the heart, will it?

I think I saw something about a card that sets enemy HP to 0, tho, and that's got me v intrigued.

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Judgment instakills a target at 30 (40) HP or less

Ignores block, doesn't ignore intangible

Not a good heart solution, imo

Hysterically funny if Neow gives it to you, though, let me tell you

• Options
    edited September 2019
    Oh, the spoiler I was looking at had !M! instead of a number on Judgment so I was hoping it was based on the amount of mantra you have or something (I know very little about how the new character works, having just skimmed the spoiler).

Well, poop.

Also, having it not ignore intangible ruffles my feathers even if I guess that's technically not incorrect (looking at MTG, "setting" a life total involves gaining or losing life). It feels wrong though.

Surfpossum on
  • Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    I'm not particularly blazing the beta as some of you are, but I finished my first Watcher run today (the one I started the other day) and - while it's certainly not that fair to comment seriously on the starter card-pool and a new character entirely - I can't say I much enjoyed her. I don't like that a lot of the retain cards are really plain or just feel like Defect orbs that have to sit in your hand instead of doing fun stuff passively, and I don't like that juggling your stances are tied to cards which - beyond only a pair of starter cards - you have to find more of to even do. A lot of managing my deck felt like waiting for turns where I could not only do damage, but also actually leverage the energy that was easy to accrue on good turns. I'm kind of surprised that (and maybe there are only two of these, but ...) the cards that end your turn don't do more based on what you actually did during your turn?
    I dunno, there's definitely more than I can recall right now, but besides the euphoria of a gigantic "JUDGED" popping up from Judgement, it just feels like you're playing a worse version of the Silent's long game with the Defect's setup?

ArcticLancer on
  • Options
    It turns out Blasphemy necronomicon Ragnarok is uh, A lot of damage.

• Options
    Strawberry, Kunai and Bird-Faced Urn this time. I'm starting to like the new Bell.

Something obvious I realized during this run - when Wishing for a power, the fact it exhausts the target card isn't a problem. Also Wishing for Ragnarok when you have the Necronomicon is hilarious - sadly I wasn't in any dps stance so it only did 108 damage.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    I still need to actually complete a Defect Run.

• Options
    edited September 2019
    I love it when Neow trades me a Pandora's Box.

f8uu9k85i7vn.jpeg

It makes the first act so much more fun.

e: aw yeah, that's the stuff:

2hwddev1k7ez.jpeg

Surfpossum on
  • Options
    Surfpossum wrote: »
    I love it when Neow trades me a Pandora's Box.

f8uu9k85i7vn.jpeg

It makes the first act so much more fun.

Last time that happened I didn't even get to Act 1 boss. There was basically no block cards in the mix I got and the stuff I did get wasn't good enough to just kill everything quickly. That was pretty unlucky though.

• Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    I'm not particularly blazing the beta as some of you are, but I finished my first Watcher run today (the one I started the other day) and - while it's certainly not that fair to comment seriously on the starter card-pool and a new character entirely - I can't say I much enjoyed her. I don't like that a lot of the retain cards are really plain or just feel like Defect orbs that have to sit in your hand instead of doing fun stuff passively, and I don't like that juggling your stances are tied to cards which - beyond only a pair of starter cards - you have to find more of to even do. A lot of managing my deck felt like waiting for turns where I could not only do damage, but also actually leverage the energy that was easy to accrue on good turns. I'm kind of surprised that (and maybe there are only two of these, but ...) the cards that end your turn don't do more based on what you actually did during your turn?
    I dunno, there's definitely more than I can recall right now, but besides the euphoria of a gigantic "JUDGED" popping up from Judgement, it just feels like you're playing a worse version of the Silent's long game with the Defect's setup?

A lot of her kit feels orientated around abusing Calm right now. Jorbs was raising a goodpoint that right now it's possible her stances are TOO good - and everything else in her kit is suffering for it, as they'd be beyond broken if they weren't. Like Infinite with entering and exiting calm repeatedly are very easy to achive. Wrath is such a huge nuke. Divinity is even nuttier if you can abuse entering it somehow - Blasmphey + Runic Pyramid being the standout.

Personally, i'm enjoying her, though i'm still playing a looooot of Oxygen Not included. Quite content to let more changes shake out

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    This took waaaaay more attempts than the other two, dang. So easy to get overconfident due to the high damage output.

z05xd74m04zc.jpg
    Ice cream cone continues to be completely broken. Heart win was made possible due to the book giving me a Nightmare which I used on Wraith Form, which gave me enough stacks of intangible to survive until I got more Wraith Forms, with the book also having given me that retain card which I used to hold onto an emergency WF.

Tanking was accomplished by playing tons of Bite+ which I can never say no to when they come up.

y5rc4u3wopq9.jpg

• Options
    edited September 2019
    CiqimBO.png

I kinda liked Battle Hymn, the other cards I don't mind seeing redone.

Mirkel on
  • Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Meditate is a core part of the easy infinite calm loops, so I'm glad that's going.

Further thoughts: Nirvana would honestly be great if it just upgraded cards BEFORE you played them. That'd give it some strong niches.

Fasting being reworked is good - having no interactions wiht the watcher's kit is just bad. Clarity likewisebeing tweaked, is a good thing. Surprised on Omniscience! Thoguh even just making it Innate natively would probably make it way, way better (actually that might be a bit tooo good?).

I'm still struggling with the watcher, but frankly i still havent ground out the hours yet.

The Zombie Penguin on
  • Options
    WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    "Upgrade my entire deck in exchange for not being able to heal? I just got Coffee Dripper from the last boss anyway! What an incredible bargain! I'd be a fool NOT to do it! Let's just start up the next battle and-"

06b91ugfwzym.png

Welp, looks like this is going to be my most humiliating defeat to date. (The Consecrate was bottled in Act 1, by the way.)

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
  • Options
    WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    Ahahaha, just kitting, I totally fucking won that run. Take that, gross incompetence!
    d4vm1ol9f0zd.png
    After promptly getting pummeled down to three hit points, I pivoted onto a route that avoided as much combat as possible. One of those events got me a Master of Strategy+ (0 draw 4 exhaust). In a shop, I spent literally every last cent I had (thank you, Maw Bank) both removing a Wirehead (you can't remove bottled cards, apparently) and buying a Toolbox (start each combat with a random uncommon). Of the remaining combats, one didn't attack on turn 1, and the other two times I either got Master of Strategy in my one free slot or got a similar draw card from Toolbox and drew into block. (Boss was the twins, by the way, who I hadn't beaten in ages.)

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
  • Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    'Eyyy, snazzy. I was like, "Eh, sure, I can make another run at finally getting Neon."
    ... And then I did~

This deck probably got a little worse in the latter half of act 3 because I picked up a few things that likely didn't actually help, but it was really fun and silly how it worked. Turns out Chemical X + Reinforced Body and a bunch of deck manipulation ala Hologram and Rebound makes for some pretty great routine blocking.
    lnd383hlnkyx.png

• Options
    So I was having a grand old time on my last Ironlad run, playing doubled Perfected Strikes for 54 each, and then I got to that frigging stone head

and I realized that as the fight started to take more than two turns, the combination of snecko eye and pyramid meant that my hand was quickly getting clogged with 3 cost cards

and I was like oh

oh dear.

I drowned under a pile of my own cards.

• Options
    edited September 2019
    Yeah. Snecko and pyramid are both run winning relics. But they are not really two great tastes that taste great together.

BSoB on
  • Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    if anyone is wondering whether it's fun to judge the giant head

it's definitely fun to judge the giant head

got the nemesis, too - i got the astrolabe from the whale, eliminated 3 strikes, and got Signature Move +. I quickly removed the last strike and eruption (I eventually got wrath back from the card that retains and gives it to you for zero, and the simmering fury thing that does it start of next turn. By mid act 3 I have 3 Wishes, 3 Deva Forms, a Master Reality, and 5 apparitions. Wished Signature Move in Wrath is 160 damage turn 1! Wished Deva Forms has gotten me up to 57 plated armor!

sig.gif
  • Options
    MorranMorran Registered User regular
    Cleared ascension 4 with ironclad yesterday.

I still feel like I don't quite understand that character's build options. Every win for me needs either snecko eye or corruption and demon form?

I don't feel that the other two character builds are that dependant on specific cards or artifacts.

• Options
    Morran wrote: »
    Cleared ascension 4 with ironclad yesterday.

I still feel like I don't quite understand that character's build options. Every win for me needs either snecko eye or corruption and demon form?

I don't feel that the other two character builds are that dependant on specific cards or artifacts.

Ironclad's big thing is that Ironclad is great at doing damage, has some very good block/defensive options, and utterly sucks at doing both of these in the same turn.

Therefore, Winning with Ironclad involves trying to break that in your favour some way, somehow. Corruption and Snecko Eye are both ways to acheive that (and very good ways at that). Demon Form also - Strength ramping means Reaper is a viable stratergy. (hells, i once beat the heart on a20 wiht infinite 0 cost reapers. With no strength. That was a run alright...)

So, some things you can do with IC that are strong:

Anger+Strength - early anger is a good card anyway, Anger scales very well with strength and card draw due to being free.

Corruption + Feel No Pain - a powerful defensive engine. If you add Juggernaught to this, you can get what is nicknamed the Exodia build, which tends to crush things rather brutally.

Strength + Reaper - who cares about defending when you can just vampire back up? Worth noting that at high ascension you generally need +MaxHP to make this work, as it can take a while to ramp your strength properly

On that note: Feed. Feeding every fight fight can cause some stupid, stupid things to happen - it's very, very hard to loose when you walk into a fight with 160 hp.

Paper Phrog + Uppercut/Bash + Value cards (immolate, etc) - Sometimes you can just win by playing very efficent, very powerful cards. Paper Phrog generally makes your cards more efficient... thus.

Plus, in general you're not trying any one build - you're just mashing up together potent things.

Oh, worth noting - Fire Breathing on the beta branch is way more exciting now. Like it's actually pretty crazy strong

• Options
    Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    Spun this up for the first time in awhile yesterday, killed the heart with the defect. Calipers fell into my lap after starting with a frost build and basically only took damage in turns 1-3 of battles because after my defenses spun up it outpaced even the heart's damage output easily.

Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Barricade and body slam is also a potent Ironclad combo

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular

It's really - in keeping with Penguin's Argument - only Body Slam+ that's all that good. And also weirdly rarer than it'd look to be, IME.

• Options

I tend to ignore that as being too slow, frankly. Barricade is a card you take when you're good at making block, but not good at making block on the turns you need it. Or sometimes as spice in a corruption/fnp deck that wants to burn all it's skills up instnatly

Body Slam is just a way to convert nice piles of block into damage, but it's not particularly exiting as a combo piece. It's more something i'd take in a deck that was really good at blocking, but sucked at doing damage.

That said... Barricade turns on having Entrench (So Does Runic Pyramid). Body Slam gets a lot better with either of the above cards, and especially with both.

Meanwhile: Booo. This was a pretty classic defect run, that died in a pretty classic fashion.

[/spoiler]96B4B64D5DD95E5ECF6894871935979266140CEF[/spoiler]

Super powerful frost combo that instantly died to the a4 elites because it was just too slow. I did have the choice of buying the Dead Branch in the a4 store, but that would have ate all my gold, and Card Remove on Injury, Thorns pot for the heart, and a Defragment seemed a lot more reasonble. But i guess i shoulda leaned into the varience. Oh well!

Really just needed to have not gotten so many energy relics, and got something like Snecko Eye or Runic Pyramid instead, but all i saw were energy relics sooo...

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Ironclad anger decks are tricky. It's really easy to get clogged hands and take unnecessary damage. I think it works best if you have a combination of exhaust and draw to manage the explosion of cards (burning pact, fiend fire, etc), and a way to ensure strength scaling happens.

I think ideally you'd have Rage, Burning Pact, and Demon Form in there

• Options
    My couple of successful Ironlad runs both relied extremely heavily on Feed or Barricade; I've had a few runs where I could pretty consistently output 150ish damage turn one (Perfected Strikes hitting for 45+ each with the first one being doubled helped) but so far they've all suddenly and spontaneously imploded.

Okay yes a few of them were directly due to bad decisions on my part, but

• Options
    Drake ChambersDrake Chambers Lay out my formal shorts. Registered User regular
    Ironclad A7 win last night, keys being Corruption+, Barricade+, 2x Entrench+, Body Slam+, Runic Pyramid. Just needed to weather two turns against the big donut in order to set up Body Slams for 300+. One of the most fun runs I've had with Ironclad.

Also didn't hurt that I got Immolate from Neow. Still, I think I may lean too heavily on Corruption. I'm not sure I've had an Ironclad win without it. I'll have to go back and look.

• Options
    Ironclad anger decks are tricky. It's really easy to get clogged hands and take unnecessary damage. I think it works best if you have a combination of exhaust and draw to manage the explosion of cards (burning pact, fiend fire, etc), and a way to ensure strength scaling happens.

I think ideally you'd have Rage, Burning Pact, and Demon Form in there

Worth noting, i treat anger as an early game card i'm basically always happy to see. It's an AMAZING act 1 card. But it's often a card that's removed early in act 2 (I got Snecko), or simply becomes an okay damage soruce to leverage strength/whatever else i'm doing later on in the game. It's not actually a card i try and build around - It's more... it's good with strength, and i'm often building around strength on clad.

But there's lots of ways get Strength/leverage it. Late game, Sword Boomerang is a better payoff for strength.

• Options
    Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    Do you get anything for beating the heart with all three classes?

Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
  • Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    Do you get anything for beating the heart with all three classes?
    Three more achievements?

• Options
    Well, that's interesting - beta branch updated and now the game won't even start. :P

• Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    Mirkel wrote: »
    Well, that's interesting - beta branch updated and now the game won't even start. :P

The Spire is Slain. You Won.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Welcome to the Spire @Ed Gruberman! May your slayings be bountiful! Feel free to ask for advice on characters, cards, relics, and tactics.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    They did a hotfix already. Try again.

• Options
    Bedlam wrote: »
    They did a hotfix already. Try again.

Just when I thought I was finally free!