As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Ashura's artwork :O

AshuraAshura Registered User regular
edited May 2007 in Artist's Corner
Hello. I am Marvin Torres, a 17 year old high school senior under the alias Ashura. My friend introduced me here because he told me that I would become a better artist if I went here. Unfortunately as of now, I am not a very good artist (especially when compared to most of you Conceptart.org members), and I mostly doodle in class. Well, I would appreciate not having harsh criticism, although if you have an extreme beef on a certain drawing then go ahead and let it out. C+C is highly welcome!

Witch_Way.jpg
M4.jpg
M5.jpg
fairydrawing2.jpg
Tyranny_and_Tea.jpg
raieface.jpg

I might post more drawings later!

-Ashura, Ace Defective
Ashura on

• Options
    Synthetic OrangeSynthetic Orange Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Conceptart.org's over that way. This seems nice nice enough stuff though. Ever thought about colouring it up?

Synthetic Orange on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Conceptart.org's over that way. This seems nice nice enough stuff though. Ever thought about colouring it up?

I can't color, quite frankly. Everytime I try to color something, it turns out to be quite ugly and anti-aliased. Maybe it's because I use photoshop all the time? Should I use something else? I don't really know what else to use..

Ashura on
    -Ashura, Ace Defective
  • Options
    The One Dark KnightThe One Dark Knight Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    You have a nicely developed style :)

I like it, keep up the good work.

The One Dark Knight on
    [END]
  • Options
    Aaron LeeAaron Lee Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Ashura wrote: »

I can't color, quite frankly. Everytime I try to color something, it turns out to be quite ugly and anti-aliased. Maybe it's because I use photoshop all the time? Should I use something else? I don't really know what else to use..

Markers? Color pencils? Watercolors? Acrylics? Pastels? You can color with just about anything, and with your sketchy style, it could benefit from some analog colors as opposed to digital. I think color pencils would be especially suited to what you've got going.

As for the actual pieces, some of it's hit or miss for me. I don't get the abstract stuff at all, but like the 4th one down (pixie-esque girl) is pretty good. Could be that it's the most polished of the bunch, but it actually seems like there's something intentional going on.

Keep things up, and go purchase some Prisma Colors.

Aaron Lee on
  • Options
    GreatnationGreatnation Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Your compositions have too many strong elements competing for control, which ultimatley makes them feel jumbled.

Try using tones to seperate parts of the composition, not just line. As in, maybe a darker tone for whats behind and a lighter for whats in front.

Greatnation on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Aaron Lee wrote: »

Markers? Color pencils? Watercolors? Acrylics? Pastels? You can color with just about anything, and with your sketchy style, it could benefit from some analog colors as opposed to digital. I think color pencils would be especially suited to what you've got going.

As for the actual pieces, some of it's hit or miss for me. I don't get the abstract stuff at all, but like the 4th one down (pixie-esque girl) is pretty good. Could be that it's the most polished of the bunch, but it actually seems like there's something intentional going on.

The abstract stuff is more of a stylized concept my friend wanted me to draw for him. It's more of a alienistic world than an abstract sketch.

Markers: I never used them, are they useful in making my artwork stand out more?
    Color pencils: I haven't used colored pencils in the longest time, primarily because they're hard to use correctly, and impossible to erase..
    Watercolors: I have a problem with using these: I haven't used them for 3 years and my old watercolor paintings look very dull :x . Also, I don't seem to have the money to afford watercolor paint..
    Acrylics: I'd love to work with these, but they're too messy and too expensive..
    Pastels: Haven't used them since I was in 5th grade, and I never liked them. I've seen really awesome artwork made from using these, but I never got the hang of them. Tastes, tastes, tastes.

I'll buy prisma colors by the weekend; I can't buy them now because I am busy with final exams.
    Your compositions have too many strong elements competing for control, which ultimatley makes them feel jumbled.

Try using tones to seperate parts of the composition, not just line. As in, maybe a darker tone for whats behind and a lighter for whats in front.

Too many Strong elements? Lack of tones? Well, nobody told me that before about these.. Would you care to explain? Do I have to use a sketching pencil in order to make tones? Just to let you know, I used an office-type lead pencil, 0.7 mm for all of these, from the shading to the lines. I've been prefering these to traditional pencils used for artwork ever since I started drawing. If I have to deviate from them.. then I'm going to have a bit of trouble going professional. I will try and post more artwork this sunday.

To everyone: You see, I usually doodle (began by doodling, and improved by doodling), and I rarely create full-fledged artwork unless I have some incredible incentive to do so. I have never been criticized before, with members on other forums saying that these are flawless pieces of art, so I seem to have overshadowed alot of mistakes. I have limited money but I'll try and improve with all of your suggestions in mind.

Ashura on
    -Ashura, Ace Defective
  • Options
    couch-potatocouch-potato Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    A good majority of your shadows do not make any sense at all. Perhaps try simplifying your light source?

couch-potato on
    "We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special. "
    -Stephen Hawking
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    A good majority of your shadows do not make any sense at all. Perhaps try simplifying your light source?

Simplifying my light source? Well, I have a tendency to avoid common misconceptions with shadowing but not putting some logic of why and where light is there. Still, Would you explain?

Ashura on
    -Ashura, Ace Defective
  • Options
    Aaron LeeAaron Lee Registered User regular
    edited May 2007

The abstract stuff is more of a stylized concept my friend wanted me to draw for him. It's more of a alienistic world than an abstract sketch.

Markers: I never used them, are they useful in making my artwork stand out more?
    Color pencils: I haven't used colored pencils in the longest time, primarily because they're hard to use correctly, and impossible to erase..
    Watercolors: I have a problem with using these: I haven't used them for 3 years and my old watercolor paintings look very dull :x . Also, I don't seem to have the money to afford watercolor paint..
    Acrylics: I'd love to work with these, but they're too messy and too expensive..
    Pastels: Haven't used them since I was in 5th grade, and I never liked them. I've seen really awesome artwork made from using these, but I never got the hang of them. Tastes, tastes, tastes.

I'll buy prisma colors by the weekend; I can't buy them now because I am busy with final exams.

Well, it's nice that you have an excuse for every medium of art, but the fact is these things take practice to do well. Make a trip to your local art store and check the prices. I don't know what kind of water colors you've looked at, but watercolor sets are practically the cheapest thing you can buy. It may not be superb quality, but it's sufficient. As for Prisma Colors, they have a whole line of products, ranging from color pencils (a personal sample at work) to markers to watercolor pencils. And on acrylics, they are one of the least messy paints out there, and cleanup is a breeze.

Basically, if you want to take art seriously, you're going to have to learn to use these types of things. Learning to do all your art digitally might get you a few pats on the back over at deviantart or some such, but it's not going to take you far in the real world. I know the temptation to work with colors than can quickly be "undone" is strong, but learning to work on the fly and anticipate things going unexpectedly is sometimes the beauty of art. As Bob Ross would call them, "happy mistakes" are part of the process, so don't be turned off by the idea of analog colors being difficult to correct.

Don't take this the wrong way, we're trying to give helpful advice, and tons of excuses won't encourage us to be forthcoming with advice in the future.

Aaron Lee on
  • Options
    McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Too many Strong elements?

Lack of focal points and visual pathways, essentially. When you're planning out a peice, and especially if your'e planning out a scene (like the 5th one, with the girl and the tree) you want to make a little road for the viewers eye.
    Think of the veiwer like theyre driving a car across your picture, you want them to come in at a certain place, then follow a path to look at all the different things, then either leave the picture, go back to the start of the path again, or stop at something important in the picture (a focal point). All this path building is done with a massive array of design and composition elements (everything from your lineart, to shadows, to the behaviour objects/figures themselves)
    The problem with your scene peices is that they dont have this visual pathway, instead they have a whole bunch of broken paths, all running into each other. So when a person tries to follow a path with thier eye, they keep hitting dead ends, which is confusing and makes the image hard to understand.
    I'd recommend going and finding some art you find attractive to look at (from wherever) and pay close attention as to HOW you look at it. Where does your eye go first? Where does it go next? how does it get there? etc etc.

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
  • Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited May 2007
    Well, it's nice that you have an excuse for every medium of art, but the fact is these things take practice to do well. Make a trip to your local art store and check the prices. I don't know what kind of water colors you've looked at, but watercolor sets are practically the cheapest thing you can buy. It may not be superb quality, but it's sufficient. As for Prisma Colors, they have a whole line of products, ranging from color pencils (a personal sample at work) to markers to watercolor pencils. And on acrylics, they are one of the least messy paints out there, and cleanup is a breeze.

Basically, if you want to take art seriously, you're going to have to learn to use these types of things. Learning to do all your art digitally might get you a few pats on the back over at deviantart or some such, but it's not going to take you far in the real world. I know the temptation to work with colors than can quickly be "undone" is strong, but learning to work on the fly and anticipate things going unexpectedly is sometimes the beauty of art. As Bob Ross would call them, "happy mistakes" are part of the process, so don't be turned off by the idea of analog colors being difficult to correct.

Don't take this the wrong way, we're trying to give helpful advice, and tons of excuses won't encourage us to be forthcoming with advice in the future.

He speaks the truth. Though digital media is perfectly useful and respectable, its not the best media for learning fundamentals. The reason your photoshop color is probably coming out all gross is because, though the digital color spectrum and the traditional spectrum differ, Color and how it relates to each other is a process that requires a lot of trial, error, and studying. Color is really something to tackle with all media, you learn different stuff from different things. The only mistake you can really make is avoiding everything because your afraid of messing up.

Its not that expensive untill you get to THE HELL THAT IS GOUACHE (sorry personal grudge).

You could at least try inking some of these things.

Iruka on
  • Options
    NovusNovus regular
    edited May 2007
    It's clear you have a great deal of natural talent and imagination; it's also fairly obvious that you've had very little formal training - I don't mean this as a negative, it’s simply an observation. For example the Fairy with the bee on her shoulder is really nice; it's rounded and vibrant, it almost feels alive. From a technical standpoint there is no distinct light source(as mentioned in other posts) and the bottom of her leg is very flat, the ankle and toes in particular don't look right at all, overall I really like the piece though.

This board is a great place for serious art critique; that means people will pick apart every flaw in your work and tell you exactly where you stand. You can't get better if you don't know what's wrong. If you wanted I believe you could become a professional artist; keep in mind that like any other trade there is a substantial difference between the hobbyists and the practiced veterans, I think you're off to a fantastic start but there is definitely room to grow.

Novus on
    I'm not smart, but thanks to the internet I can pretend.
    wii Number 0648 2052 0203 3154
  • Options
    vascyvascy Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Since there's so many pictures at once, I'll just make a few comments about the dragon one...

Which is this image:
    http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y235/Ashurasonic/Tyranny_and_Tea.jpg

The dragons hand - he's holding a cup but his claws don't seem to go around the handle of the cup?
    The dragons left foot - the left most claw looks awkwardly right-angled, when it should be more diagonal like the other claws, perhaps...
    Hmm, the tale looks a little small aswell...

Probably would have looked better if the dragon was red or green rather than blue?

But yeah, looks good but probably could be easily tweaked to be even better...

vascy on
  • Options
    edited May 2007

I will strive to improve constantly, but I won't stress myself too much either since I believe it's counterproductive. I am actually a hobbyist, and I do these for fun, not for professional review. I'm open to critique, but remember that I am not going to work more than I need. I have always pushed myself to be better when I'm in the mood. I do like your suggestion with me using colored pencils. I will try to learn from my mistakes, and I appreciate your help.

I want to anticipate building a tolerance over coloring with colored pencils, hoping to find a style that matches with my sketchy style. But I'm afraid of having to work over 10 hours a day to get there. D=
    It's clear you have a great deal of natural talent and imagination; it's also fairly obvious that you've had very little formal training - I don't mean this as a negative, it’s simply an observation. For example the Fairy with the bee on her shoulder is really nice; it's rounded and vibrant, it almost feels alive. From a technical standpoint there is no distinct light source(as mentioned in other posts) and the bottom of her leg is very flat, the ankle and toes in particular don't look right at all, overall I really like the piece though.

Thank you. =) I have only taken two classes, one that was required to graduate from my high school, and one for fun. I have deviated from studying light sources and realism 5 years ago, because I got bored with it; i now just enjoy shading stuff anywhere I guess XD I really worked hard on the fairy image, trying to make it as good as possible, but I will try to improve.
    Lack of focal points and visual pathways, essentially. When you're planning out a peice, and especially if your'e planning out a scene (like the 5th one, with the girl and the tree) you want to make a little road for the viewers eye.
    Think of the veiwer like theyre driving a car across your picture, you want them to come in at a certain place, then follow a path to look at all the different things, then either leave the picture, go back to the start of the path again, or stop at something important in the picture (a focal point). All this path building is done with a massive array of design and composition elements (everything from your lineart, to shadows, to the behaviour objects/figures themselves)
    The problem with your scene peices is that they dont have this visual pathway, instead they have a whole bunch of broken paths, all running into each other. So when a person tries to follow a path with thier eye, they keep hitting dead ends, which is confusing and makes the image hard to understand.
    I'd recommend going and finding some art you find attractive to look at (from wherever) and pay close attention as to HOW you look at it. Where does your eye go first? Where does it go next? how does it get there? etc etc.

Ah, I see now. I have not really understood how I can manipulate this "road" you speak of since I was never taught that. I don't critically think when I draw (Like the pixie girl and the tree) the locations of objects and its importance, I just doodle as one does when he or she gets bored in class. I guess you're right; many people that I have shown art to get so confused that they don't understand what this or that is.
    Since there's so many pictures at once, I'll just make a few comments about the dragon one...

Which is this image:
    http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y23...ny_and_Tea.jpg

The dragons hand - he's holding a cup but his claws don't seem to go around the handle of the cup?
    The dragons left foot - the left most claw looks awkwardly right-angled, when it should be more diagonal like the other claws, perhaps...
    Hmm, the tale looks a little small aswell...

Probably would have looked better if the dragon was red or green rather than blue?

But yeah, looks good but probably could be easily tweaked to be even better...

Ah, thank you. I'll take note of that when I draw more dragons.

Ashura on
    -Ashura, Ace Defective
  • Options
    GreatnationGreatnation Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    You said you want to become a better artist, no? Then you said you don't want to stress about it and that you don't think critically about your drawings? If you will not change your mindset, you may only be able to marginally improve your technical skills, but the chances of you becoming a better artist is very slim.

You must think critically about your artwork as you do it. Why would any of us here care to give you any critique at all if there was a chance that you may just not be in the mood for improving? That is in fact what is counterproductive.

You do have potential, but before you begin mindlessly "improving" you are going to need to think long and hard about the work in front of you. You have to want it, it will not come to you.

Greatnation on
  • Options
    TheBogTheBog Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    First of all, I actually really like the look of this stuff, Ashura. You've got tons of potential, and hell, you're not half bad as is. I'd like to see more.

Yes, you should look at your stuff critically, but having fun is definitely priority one. You're not making a living off of it; you're a hobbyist. Have fun with it. Now that doesn't mean don't try to learn. There is definitely room for improvement, but the process isn't as draconian as some make it out to be.

Now for some C+C:

Pictures 2, 3, and 4 do indeed have too much stuff going on. There is no one focus. It's too cluttered and confusing. Still neat, of course. And if you insist on having so much stuff in one picture you could always do some extreme line variation to focus the viewer on one or two spots.

Pictures 1 and 5 are pretty nice. 5 especially. You could work a bit on your hands, and there are a few tangents like the cloud thingie and the right side of the hat bending right into it. And also the rabbit thing's ear is a little too close to her (her?) hair (hair?).

TheBog on
  • Options
    beelowbeelow Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    McGibs is spot on right and I totally agree with what he has said to you. Start simple next time with simple shapes and then build from that. This is the stage when you want to do a bunch of thumbnailing and planning, getting reference before going into a drawing or painting as well. Design and Composition plays a major role in achieving a sucessful image if not a beautiful image(design usually helps this). I think those things you should focus on. Design- overall piece and interesting attire weaponry, characters, vehicles, etc. I wanted to clear that up. Composition- pretty much what McGibs stated in his post. As far as your coloring issues, it will not be resolved unless you practice it. Study, Color Theory to help with that. Also as McGibs has stated look at other artworks of other individuals that you find appealing and amazing. Study their pieces. Doing life studies and color targeting will also help with getting color down as well. Draw, draw,draw and paint ,paint, paint! Most important is having fun with your learning experience!XD

beelow on
    "No one is trying to keep the secrets of good drawing from anyone, the secrets of drawing are the ones we keep from ourselves." Karl Gnass
    Spectacular:
    http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=274320
  • Options
    NakedZerglingNakedZergling A more apocalyptic post apocalypse Portland OregonRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    um isn't that first pic right out of the lullby comic?

NakedZergling on