Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[Nintendo Switch] New portable only Lite Switch launching in Sept for $200!

16566676971

Posts

  • McFodderMcFodder 'SploringRegistered User regular
    Even recently, my brother in law told me he found it way easier playing Fortnite on his Switch than his XB1 or PS4 for that exact reason. Less detailed environments, easier to spot people.

    Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / NNID: Fodder185
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    it's so peculiar to dislike a whole graphical form with so many different styles
    It's like saying you dislike oil paintings or music with pianos

    but to each its own, first and foremost.

    I can sort of understand not liking sprite games if I think about it in terms of like, how I don't like pre-NES era graphics? Like Atari 2600 games. I have zero nostalgia for those, but there are people 10 years older than me that do like that visual aesthetic. ... Probably.

    BahamutZERO.gif
    DemonStacey
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited August 15
    I’m not a fan of deliberately retro 2D games. I like games that use the style, but it doesn’t sell me on a game. But 2D games can be gorgeous - like Hollow Knight and Vanillaware games. Dragons Crown and Muramasa are up with the prettiest games I’ve played, and it’s a crime they’re not on the Switch.

    -Loki- on
    BigJoeMdresdenphileDonnictonkimeChiselphaneDark Raven X
  • dresdenphiledresdenphile Watch out for snakes!Registered User regular
    -Loki- wrote: »
    I’m not a fan of deliberately retro 2D games. I like games that use the style, but it doesn’t sell me on a game. But 2D games can be gorgeous - like Hollow Knight and Vanillaware games. Dragons Crown and Muramasa are up with the prettiest games I’ve played, and it’s a crime they’re not on the Switch.

    I wouldn't say "no" to an Odin Sphere port.

    steam_sig.png
    urahonky
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    -Loki- wrote: »
    I’m not a fan of deliberately retro 2D games. I like games that use the style, but it doesn’t sell me on a game. But 2D games can be gorgeous - like Hollow Knight and Vanillaware games. Dragons Crown and Muramasa are up with the prettiest games I’ve played, and it’s a crime they’re not on the Switch.

    I wouldn't say "no" to an Odin Sphere port.

    I just played through that on the Vita a year or two ago.

    Yeah, I'd play it again.

    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Ok so someone misunderstood what I said back there and then someone else read them misunderstanding and took that as my meaning as well. So let me clarify that.

    I never said indie games don't have narratives. I know that plenty do. I was listing the things that I come to games for, narrative focus being one of them, not listing the things that indie games don't have.

    My point was that I need those things together. So a narrative focused game with pixel graphics isn't going to cut it. A game that looks better but is just narrative and walking also isn't going to cut it for me. An indie game by nature is almost always going to need to be saving that money somewhere. And I just have yet to see one where that doesn't make me lose interest in the experience. AA and AAA games can have enough budget to have an extended experience with modern visuals, narrative focus and gameplay that I enjoy in one package.

    And again, I would gladly look at any indie game that seems to offer the stuff I enjoy. I just don't tend to see that and it's not even the market that indie devs are targeting. Most people who are into the indie scene are into that scene because they really love the kind of experiences and styles that are offered there right now. Which is what I think is super cool.

    At PAX you can walk down the little indie section and it's packed with people excited to see and play these new games and talk to the devs. That's the kind of experience they are looking for.

    Nothing I'm saying here should rustle any feathers so I'm just trying to clarify what I'm saying a bit more. Nothing I am saying is a negative towards indie games, just trying to say why they rarely, if ever, tend to appeal to my personal interests.

    desc wrote: »
    ~ * ~ Week-Long Dance-a-thon Booty Ribbon ~ * ~
  • urahonkyurahonky Dayton, OHRegistered User regular
    No one's feathers are ruffled lol

  • The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat Brave Sir Robin Registered User regular
    There were definitely some ruffled feathers or this discussion wouldn't have dragged on so long.

    3clipse wrote: »
    God is dead and life has no purpose.
    MulletudeSageinaRage
  • urahonkyurahonky Dayton, OHRegistered User regular
    There were definitely some ruffled feathers or this discussion wouldn't have dragged on so long.

    Everyone was chiming in with their opinions. If people putting their opinions on the page are ruffled feathers to you then I don't know what to say lol

    dipuc4life
  • DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    No one's feathers are ruffled lol

    Well that's because they were rustled instead!

    (yea I'm gonna double down on it being rustle you can't stop me!)

    desc wrote: »
    ~ * ~ Week-Long Dance-a-thon Booty Ribbon ~ * ~
    urahonky
  • urahonkyurahonky Dayton, OHRegistered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    No one's feathers are ruffled lol

    Well that's because they were rustled instead!

    (yea I'm gonna double down on it being rustle you can't stop me!)

    LOL point taken sir!

    DemonStacey
  • ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    Ars Technica just posted a whole article on running Android on the Switch.

    Is this going to be the new version of DS' R4 problem?

    Granted, that was more for running illegal copies of games, and this is getting Android on there (to run emulators according to the article).

    RkyXDNV.pngjswidget.php?username=ArcSyn&numitems=5&header=0&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=center&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • vamenvamen Registered User regular
    DemonStacey - I don't have any specific game type I don't tend to play. I hate card games but I love Slay the Spire, so I'm all over the place. But I am with you on needing voice acting. I HATE that I need voice acting...I didn't used to. And I'm an AVID reader, but these days in game.

    Exceptions are also made there, but I often find it VERY distracting to not have it in my RPGs.

    PA Fitocracy Group: Join us to try & be healthier so we can all game for many years to come.
    Sometimes I stream but not often!.
    DemonStacey
  • DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    vamen wrote: »
    DemonStacey - I don't have any specific game type I don't tend to play. I hate card games but I love Slay the Spire, so I'm all over the place. But I am with you on needing voice acting. I HATE that I need voice acting...I didn't used to. And I'm an AVID reader, but these days in game.

    Exceptions are also made there, but I often find it VERY distracting to not have it in my RPGs.

    I totally feel you there. Like I've been playing games since I was a kid and I'm 32 now.

    So I can clearly remember when I didn't have any voice acting and when I would get lost in 8/16-bit graphics. But I just... just can't any more!

    desc wrote: »
    ~ * ~ Week-Long Dance-a-thon Booty Ribbon ~ * ~
  • DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    edited August 15
    Figgy wrote: »
    Saying you don't like indie games because you like games with narrative is like saying you don't like dogs because you like pets with longer fur.

    There are plenty of examples of indie games with narrative. And voice overs. And length. And great graphics.

    You don't dislike dogs, you just don't like short fur.

    Pet more dogs and I think you'll find some you've missed out on.

    Hell, indie games is where I go for narrative these days, for the most part. Narrative and fun dialogue and characters. Like, where else would I go, AAA games? Christ no.

    Drascin on
    Steam ID: Right here.
    Lindsay Lohan
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited August 15
    While I am really impressed and happy with Fire Emblem's full voice acting, it's not something that will ever be make or break for me. Some of the greatest games of all time have little to none. Every Mario game, every Zelda game. And to be fair the little grunt noises and things actually go a long way toward establishing the voice of each character regardless...but you know what I mean.

    And in fact I am confident that one of Fallout 4's biggest problems was choosing to have voice acting for the main character. It ruined everything...options were reduced due to the expense and storage of all those lines, dialogue was truncated and curt for the same reason, most choices led to the exact same result, you didn't really know what you were saying before you said it (because they didn't want you reading the exact line they were about to say out loud), and there was just very little in the way of real role-playing agency. Every character you made sounded kinda doofy and the same. Felt like some pre-designed guy, not MY character, like in Fallout New Vegas or other games along those lines.

    UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
    skeldarevamen
  • T-DangerT-Danger Registered User regular
    Because Astral Chain wasn't anime enough, it now has a J-Pop intro song.

    Dark Raven XkimeDemonStaceyKoopahTroopahPolaritieurahonkyMNC DoverNitsuaShadowfireBigJoeMXerinkRidleySariadipuc4life
  • DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Oh Dang.

    Some really cool info in this article.

    The writing is a little bit yikes BUT all the info about the non combat stuff is making this game sound even better than I expected.

    Getting more hyped.

    desc wrote: »
    ~ * ~ Week-Long Dance-a-thon Booty Ribbon ~ * ~
    Dark Raven XGONG-00
  • vamenvamen Registered User regular
    edited August 15
    While I am really impressed and happy with Fire Emblem's full voice acting, it's not something that will ever be make or break for me. Some of the greatest games of all time have little to none. Every Mario game, every Zelda game. And to be fair the little grunt noises and things actually go a long way toward establishing the voice of each character regardless...but you know what I mean.

    And in fact I am confident that one of Fallout 4's biggest problems was choosing to have voice acting for the main character. It ruined everything...options were reduced due to the expense and storage of all those lines, dialogue was truncated and curt for the same reason, most choices led to the exact same result, you didn't really know what you were saying before you said it (because they didn't want you reading the exact line they were about to say out loud), and there was just very little in the way of real role-playing agency. Every character you made sounded kinda doofy and the same. Felt like some pre-designed guy, not MY character, like in Fallout New Vegas or other games along those lines.

    It definitely depends on how well executed the voice acting is. You could have something that is Oscar level performances (imo) like in Heavenly Sword...
    ooooor you could have, as you said, Fallout 4.

    I definitely agree grunting and such helps. Mario is full of character because of how he expresses himself. And sure he has a few words, but it's mostly WAHOO and such, and it's charming as hell.
    Same thing with Wander in Shadow of the Colossus. Everything spoken in a gibberish language in all of those games, but it totally works.
    And I was moved to actual tears in the first 5 minutes of Ori and the Blind Forest without any voice acting.

    It's all in the execution.

    vamen on
    PA Fitocracy Group: Join us to try & be healthier so we can all game for many years to come.
    Sometimes I stream but not often!.
  • StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    my point way back when was more about the way he chose to delimit his dislikes
    as someone pointed out, people usually dislike genres or even platforms. But things like "2d", "retro", "indie", "no voice acting" are very stranger as boundaries for taste because they include infinite forms of expression and gameplay and presentation that also overlap with other similarly ontological game categories that are supposedly opposite.

    This is not to say that the person doing that is wrong or silly or anything, but it certainly piques the interest.

    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
    urahonky
  • skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    First screens and info on Cooking Mama CookStar

    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
    Stormwatcher
  • urahonkyurahonky Dayton, OHRegistered User regular
    I love that they are adding a vegetarian mode. Like... That's really cool of them.

    FrykimeStormwatchertemperature!shoeboxjeddyMcFodder
  • urahonkyurahonky Dayton, OHRegistered User regular
    Also I picked up Citizens of Space on a whim because I watched a speedrun of Citizens of Earth and it looked like an RPG that had influences from Earthbound. So far it's pretty damn great. Just about everything in the game can be tweaked to your liking: Random Battles, ease of the battle minigames, etc. VA work is top notch and the dialog is top notch so far. I'm only a couple hours into it but I'm really enjoying it.

  • Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    As a Deaf gamer if a game has voice acting, the only think I care about is is that VA subtitled. Because if it's not, then I can't enjoy the game. (Won't be buying Doom 3 for this reason...was bummed to find out it had no subtitles).

    Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
    akjak
  • vamenvamen Registered User regular
    As a Deaf gamer if a game has voice acting, the only think I care about is is that VA subtitled. Because if it's not, then I can't enjoy the game. (Won't be buying Doom 3 for this reason...was bummed to find out it had no subtitles).

    Wow, really? That's a pretty major oversight for a game to have.

    PA Fitocracy Group: Join us to try & be healthier so we can all game for many years to come.
    Sometimes I stream but not often!.
    kimeKoopahTroopahDarth_Mogstemperature!shoeboxjeddy
  • Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    vamen wrote: »
    As a Deaf gamer if a game has voice acting, the only think I care about is is that VA subtitled. Because if it's not, then I can't enjoy the game. (Won't be buying Doom 3 for this reason...was bummed to find out it had no subtitles).

    Wow, really? That's a pretty major oversight for a game to have.

    Doesn't happen very often anymore, but when voice acting first started being put in games it happened a lot. Apparently Doom3 never had subtitles and the new ports didn't add them in. :/

    Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
  • Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    As a Deaf gamer if a game has voice acting, the only think I care about is is that VA subtitled. Because if it's not, then I can't enjoy the game. (Won't be buying Doom 3 for this reason...was bummed to find out it had no subtitles).

    There is no reason that a game should release without subtitles. I'm not deaf but I find it much easier to process and follow dialog with them on and Doom 3 lacking them sucks and made me stop playing for now.

    vamenurahonkykimeDarth_MogsshoeboxjeddyLBD_NytetraynThe Zombie Penguin
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Games should have, like...audio cue subtitles. Have it say "Pinky: Gwaaargh!" on the right side of the screen, tiny text if it's further away, to indicate that a hearing player would've heard the roar of a Pinky over there and you can then turn to find it like they would've.

    Little roar subtitles at various places on the screen.

    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
    vamenDoctorArchkimeEar3nd1lKoopahTroopahStormwatchershoeboxjeddydipuc4life
  • DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    As a Deaf gamer if a game has voice acting, the only think I care about is is that VA subtitled. Because if it's not, then I can't enjoy the game. (Won't be buying Doom 3 for this reason...was bummed to find out it had no subtitles).

    I think games need more subtitle and audio options. I can hear, but I am mostly deaf in my left ear. I never know when positional audio is going to fuck me over while wearing headphones, so a mono audio option would be nice. Sometimes it doesn't even matter that I can hear, because sometimes poor audio mixing will cause music and sound effects to drown out the dialogue. And to your point, there should be an option for a more "closed caption" style subtitles for people who can't hear at all and want more than just the basic subtitles.

    vamenCameron_TalleyStormwatcherMulletudeakjakshoeboxjeddy
  • urahonkyurahonky Dayton, OHRegistered User regular
    Games should have, like...audio cue subtitles. Have it say "Pinky: Gwaaargh!" on the right side of the screen, tiny text if it's further away, to indicate that a hearing player would've heard the roar of a Pinky over there and you can then turn to find it like they would've.

    Little roar subtitles at various places on the screen.

    This reminds me of XIII back on the Gamecube or PS2. I swear the game had that happen when someone was walking around.

  • DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    edited August 15
    Games should have, like...audio cue subtitles. Have it say "Pinky: Gwaaargh!" on the right side of the screen, tiny text if it's further away, to indicate that a hearing player would've heard the roar of a Pinky over there and you can then turn to find it like they would've.

    Little roar subtitles at various places on the screen.
    i6bm3e9zfo3z.png


    Subtitles are the light.

    I do a lot of Switch gaming in places or situations where I can't have the audio on or wear headphones, I wouldn't get much out of a game if it didn't have subtitles.

    DoctorArch on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
    vamenNitsuaEar3nd1lTalithKoopahTroopahStormwatcherXerinkshoeboxjeddyMcFodderDark Raven XTeriferinGMaster7
  • DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    Yeah a portable game especially needs subtitles. Like, every game should have good subtitling, but any game that is intended to be playable in a portable way super extra especial needs subtitles, because often you will be playing it soundless because you're, you know, in a place where you can't or won't turn on the sound.

    Steam ID: Right here.
    kime
  • ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    And subtitles large enough you can read! Some games have such tiny text that can potentially blend into the background because it's not outlined well. Gives me eye strain trying to read dialog.

    RkyXDNV.pngjswidget.php?username=ArcSyn&numitems=5&header=0&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=center&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    Dirty wrote: »
    As a Deaf gamer if a game has voice acting, the only think I care about is is that VA subtitled. Because if it's not, then I can't enjoy the game. (Won't be buying Doom 3 for this reason...was bummed to find out it had no subtitles).

    I think games need more subtitle and audio options. I can hear, but I am mostly deaf in my left ear. I never know when positional audio is going to fuck me over while wearing headphones, so a mono audio option would be nice. Sometimes it doesn't even matter that I can hear, because sometimes poor audio mixing will cause music and sound effects to drown out the dialogue. And to your point, there should be an option for a more "closed caption" style subtitles for people who can't hear at all and want more than just the basic subtitles.

    This exactly. Captions are not the same as subtitles. I'd love more closed-captioned-style captioning in games!

    Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
  • ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    And subtitles you can read! Some games have such tiny text that can potentially blend into the background because it's not outlined well. Gives me eye strain trying to read dialog.

    RkyXDNV.pngjswidget.php?username=ArcSyn&numitems=5&header=0&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=center&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
    LBD_Nytetrayn
  • DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    The first thing I do is turn off subtitles but even I think it's completely insane to release a game without them. It's like almost hard to believe that something so important would be left out these days.

    desc wrote: »
    ~ * ~ Week-Long Dance-a-thon Booty Ribbon ~ * ~
  • MNC DoverMNC Dover Game Designer/Stay-at-home Dad Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Dirty wrote: »
    As a Deaf gamer if a game has voice acting, the only think I care about is is that VA subtitled. Because if it's not, then I can't enjoy the game. (Won't be buying Doom 3 for this reason...was bummed to find out it had no subtitles).

    I think games need more subtitle and audio options. I can hear, but I am mostly deaf in my left ear. I never know when positional audio is going to fuck me over while wearing headphones, so a mono audio option would be nice. Sometimes it doesn't even matter that I can hear, because sometimes poor audio mixing will cause music and sound effects to drown out the dialogue. And to your point, there should be an option for a more "closed caption" style subtitles for people who can't hear at all and want more than just the basic subtitles.

    This exactly. Captions are not the same as subtitles. I'd love more closed-captioned-style captioning in games!

    Or go one step further like my friend Rick did with the lead character Quill in the game Moss.

    Twitch Page
    Hearthstone: mncdover#1994
    Nintendo Network ID: MNC.Dover
    3DS: 1934-0659-5183
    Steam ID
    Cameron_TalleyKoopahTroopahDelduwathkimevamenStormwatcherGONG-00Ear3nd1lWACriminalshoeboxjeddyMcFodderDr. Phibbs McAthey
  • DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    That's dope.

    At the same time, I imagine that would be hard to localize for regions that don't use American Sign Language. Rather than putting down some text in a different language, you have to redo a bunch of animations.

    kimePhoenix-DMNC DoverGONG-00KoopahTroopah
  • ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    Games should have, like...audio cue subtitles. Have it say "Pinky: Gwaaargh!" on the right side of the screen, tiny text if it's further away, to indicate that a hearing player would've heard the roar of a Pinky over there and you can then turn to find it like they would've.

    Little roar subtitles at various places on the screen.

    Great germ of an idea there. I could see a game of 'FPS but you can't see the actual enemies, you just pick up audio clues' and then layering how you're describing subtitles on top of that being fun if done well. There's even genre precedent, Alien Isolation approaches it with the motion sensor but go full-in with Predators with their near-invisible camouflage etc etc. But even a black screen with just the words here and there could be effective for what I'm envisioning

  • skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
    urahonkyAbsoluteZeroDark Raven X
Sign In or Register to comment.