ran the Pinny Arcade Game Show panel last year, with him hosting and myself running the show behind the scenes, such as making up all the questions, the powerpoint and providing the music and keeping score. And we plan to do this again this year - only we're going to do it better.
This year, we've decided to split the Pinny Arcade 101 panel and the Game Show panel into two separate panels, each being represented by our wonderful pin community.
Submissions are now open! While I will handle the logistics and information for the Game Show panel I am looking for someone to put their hand up to run the 101 panel. This means that they will be responsible for the panel itself and the submission process. The 101 panel will be dedicated to informing the audience about Pinny Arcade, its origins, where to get pins for that particular show, where trading opportunities will happen and any personal stories or subjects they wish to cover, so long as it pertains to the Pinny Arcade hobby.
The Game Show panel will be much the same as last year. We will host multiple rounds of pinny arcade related activities, and yes, fan favourites like "Speed Round"
and "Who's That Pinny Man?"
will return, along with a host of new ideas, as we will be retiring some rounds that didn't work as well as we'd like, and we'll also have a little more time as Story rounds will no longer be necessary due to Pinny Arcade 101 being able to take on that responsibility, should that be the route they would like to take.
So what needs to happen now? Here's the important info:
1. Do you want to be involved in the Pinny Arcade 101 panel? Excellent - comment below, message me on here or on Slack.
2. Do you want to run the Pinny Arcade 101 panel? Excellent - comment below, message me on here or on Slack.
3. Do you want to be involved in the Pinny Arcade Game Show panel? Excellent - comment below, message me on here or on Slack.
4. Do you want to be involved in both? Excellent - comment below, or message me on here or on Slack.
Whats in it for me?
Well, apart from my gratefulness and the opportunity to champion our hobby - you will get free pins
. You will get a special guest 3 day pass for PAX Aus
- these are not for sale, so if you have bought tickets, you can get a refund on the day prior to the show. And you will have fun!
That sounds great - is there a deadline?
No, not really. We are currently four months out from PAX Australia and ideally we'd like to have the names of who wants to be involved by about 12 weeks out. Panel submissions are usually completed about 2 months in advance, which gives Penny Arcade enough time to schedule days and times for all their panels, as well as which room we're in. Naturally, some panels are placed in smaller/larger rooms, depending on the expected audience. We generally run about 60-100 members in our audience. And of course, they need to print out thousands of the handbooks - which will have our panels in them, should they be approved.
So I won't put a hard date on when you must message me by. I would suggest doing so sooner rather than later though, and ideally, we're ready to go about this time next month. That's around mid-July.
So what if I don't want to be involved?
- No problem! You can still come along to the panel! In fact, our game show panel requires three members per team, so our team members will be hustling for players when the queue begins - you might find yourself on a team! You just put your name down and it goes into the hat, so you don't have to be involved if you don't want to!
- Upcoming pins! Our panels are famous for first looks at newly introduced pins. Last year we learnt about the creation of gabe pin, the PA 20th anniversary and the mario kart pins, for instance. You want to know what's coming up next? This is the place to do it.
- Need to know where to get pins, or where to trade? Come along! The Pinny Arcade panel 101 will have that information for you! They will also provide a handy-dandy print out of the pins to get at the show, where to get them, what times and where to trade, and even match the staff member to the pin! And of course, there is that always elusive Pinnypals Stamp!
And if all that doesn't interest you, what are you doing here anyway? Go enjoy the show - PAX celebrates all types of games and I'm sure you will have a great time. I always do!
There is no guarantees in life - and the same is true of PAX Aus. Just because we were accepted last year does not guarantee us a panel this year. It's highly unlikely, but we are at their mercy for the decision making process and our panel or panels may not be accepted. Also of note - we have never attempted to apply for two separate panels before. It's possible they accept one and knock back the other. That's not ideal, of course, but it's a possibility. At this point, we can only hope for the best. That said, PA are usually very accomodating and their Australian team are very professional and friendly and know how much we live and breathe for this event. But it is their event
. We can only wait and see what they decide.
TL:DR - Message me if you want to be involved in one or the other or both panels at this years PAX. Do it asap please.