As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

How to make a 30 GB Hard Drive Laptop useable

EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
About a year or two ago, I got a new laptop. I don't use laptops for much more than the Internet while traveling and running RPGs, so I went for a small, 30 gig hard drive. Unfortunately, It also came with Windows 10, and since I bought the laptop, it apparently updated to the point where it can't run with so little hard drive space.

Given the simplicity of what I need to do with it, do I have any options for this computer? Is there a way to revert the computer to a less storage-intensive way of running? If not Windows 10, are earlier versions of Windows available?

You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    Have you tried doing the following?

https://www.faqforge.com/windows/running-low-on-hard-drive-space-shrink-up-your-windows-10-footprint/

The CompactOS option should squeeze Windows 10 just enough that you should be able to barely run it on the laptop.

You'd have to go REALLY far back in order to find a Windows OS that is smaller in footprint than Win 10, mostly because of all the patches and updates that the previous OS have undergone over the years (Windows 8 with Updates, for example, is a footprint of around 40 Gb, not including pagefile/hibernate).

Also, Windows Update saves a local copy of the Update files whenever you update, and these can be cleaned out using Disk Cleanup tool. Just do a search (Win+S) for Disk Cleanup to find it, and click the "Clean up system files" button (requires admin access, has a little shield next to it. On a personal laptop, you probably already have admin access.). I did it just now on my laptop, and it cleaned out 7 Gigs of cruft.

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
  • Options
    RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    Could also Ubuntu.

PSN: jfrofl
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    I hate to be that guy but I agree with Radiation, consider a Linux distro with just the sw you need.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    Big issue here, at least last time I tried, is that laptops tend to have very fickle drivers so Linux can be hit or miss. But it is free so if you don't mind the time give it a whirl.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    Can you upgrade the HD to a larger one? That seems like one of the simpler fixes if you can.

• Options
    Whelp, I'm an idiot. It turns out my laptop is a bit older than I expected and is running Windows 8, not Windows 10. Assuming I want to stick to Windows systems, do the same suggestions work?

• Options
    Veevee wrote: »
    Can you upgrade the HD to a larger one? That seems like one of the simpler fixes if you can.

Is that an option for laptops?

• Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular

Why wouldn't it be? It's just a smaller form factor.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    These 32GB systems sometimes don't have that option. They're not even real hard drives in there a lot of the time, so it may not be.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Smrtnik wrote: »

Why wouldn't it be? It's just a smaller form factor.
    On a laptop/chromebook that small, sometimes the SSD is literally just an integral part of the board.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    Whelp, I'm an idiot. It turns out my laptop is a bit older than I expected and is running Windows 8, not Windows 10. Assuming I want to stick to Windows systems, do the same suggestions work?
    There should be ways to compress/reduce the size of Win 8, yes.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    BlindZenDriverBlindZenDriver Registered User regular
    Running Windows 8, or for that matter Windows 7 or never, you can make Windows compress store files on the hard drive in a way where it is compressed and uncompressed automatically (A sort having files zipped and unzipped if you like). Only I am not sure if this option is available unless it was enabled when the drive was formatted, plus there is also some drawbacks in that the CPU most do more work and some think it might mean SSD's writing is more frequent which shorten their life.

Compressing folders you mostly read data from should be fine, that could be your "Program files"-folder and your "Windows"-folder, try checking the properties of a folder, click the advanced button and see if there is an compress button.

Bones heal, glory is forever.
  • Options
    deathnote666deathnote666 Registered User regular
    And here I thought I could find a way to get more room on my 5GB hard drive on my old gateway laptop running windows 2000...

I'm guessing this is one of those laptops with solid state storage, non-upgradeable?

As long as there's enough room on the hard drive to keep windows working properly, I'd say keep everything you don't need on an external storage.

• Options
    And here I thought I could find a way to get more room on my 5GB hard drive on my old gateway laptop running windows 2000...

With Windows 2000 you should be able to compress folders or at least I think so.

At one time over a couple of years it seemed like there was a rule that extra hard drives cost $450, since that is what I paid for a 400 MB, then a 1 GB one and eventually a 2.1 GB one :-)

I'm guessing this is one of those laptops with solid state storage, non-upgradeable?

There are also those laptops that are just almost impossible to take a part and then be able to put together just right afterwards. Ie. it is technically possible to replace a hard drive, but practically impossible.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Running Windows 8, or for that matter Windows 7 or never, you can make Windows compress store files on the hard drive in a way where it is compressed and uncompressed automatically (A sort having files zipped and unzipped if you like). Only I am not sure if this option is available unless it was enabled when the drive was formatted, plus there is also some drawbacks in that the CPU most do more work and some think it might mean SSD's writing is more frequent which shorten their life.

Compressing folders you mostly read data from should be fine, that could be your "Program files"-folder and your "Windows"-folder, try checking the properties of a folder, click the advanced button and see if there is an compress button.

NTFS file compression is available though unused by default. Win 10 will even start doing it on its own if your free space gets low enough.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    @EmperorSeth can you give us a model number for your laptop? That will help a ton.

At one point in time, Dell had a "super value" laptop that had hardwired storage, but you could expand via MicroSD card. I doubt your laptop is one of these, but you never know. If we had your model number, we could find out for certain.

The info should be on a sticker, on the bottom of the laptop.

• Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    Does it have a microSD slot?

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    Sorry I didn't reply lately. I didn't pull the laptop out since my session last Saturday.

It says it's an HP Stream Notebook PC 13. Is that what you mean by the model number, or can I find it somewhere else?

There is a MicroSD slot.

• Options
    Sorry I didn't reply lately. I didn't pull the laptop out since my session last Saturday.

It says it's an HP Stream Notebook PC 13. Is that what you mean by the model number, or can I find it somewhere else?

There is a MicroSD slot.

I don't know the machine, but you should be able to add extra storage using the microSD slot. They come in different sizes and some are slow while others not too bad. A 32 GB one should cost like $10, but make sure to buy from a know vendor/shop as there are fake ones out there. Bigger ones of course cost more and it may also that you're machine doesn't support the really big ones - try googling you machines name and see what others have found.

• Options
    evilmrhenryevilmrhenry Registered User regular
    Found this guide:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4A8IYOwe7EY

While the internal hard drive isn't upgradable, you can add storage via:
    * USB drive
    * MicroSD card
    * Replacing the internal WiFi PCI-e card with an internal SSD. (And getting a USB WiFi adapter.)

While you can technically run an OS off of any of these, the internal SSD is likely the only option with good performance. After adding the second hard drive, you change the boot order so that Windows boots off of the added internal SSD, and use the original drive for extra storage.

• Options
    It sounds like a MicroSD card is my best bet. I'll hit Best Buy sometime this weekend and set it up from there. Thanks to everyone for the suggestions! Sorry it took me some time to reply; I have a bad habit of only working on the laptop before the actual D&D sessions.

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    I didn't watch the video, but systems with MicroSD slots have a capacity limit. Make sure you aren't wasting money by getting a really big SD card, only to have like 64GB of it recognized.