As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [NHL] Thread - On Dadanov’s No-Trade List

• Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    Partly it's that kapanen isn't actually very good. He had one pretty good season, and even then per capfriendly/evolving-hockey he was still negative in expected goals for - expected goals against

He is a decent third liner. This tweet is wrong, he is 24 not 23.

Or

The other, bigger, part is it's terrible asset management.

Kapanen + 1st for Kessel
    Kessel for galchenyuk
    Galchenyuk + 1st for Zucker
    1st for kapanen.

That's three first round picks! For a guy we picked in the first round!

Not including our top two picks from 2018 (53rd and 58th) were both moved, one for Zucker one for kapanen. Which were both top 5 prospects in our farm system.

Also kapanen costs 3.2m which we don't really have space for!

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    edited August 2020
    yeah, Evolving Wild rates Kapanen and Rodrigues as pretty comparable value, that Toronto also got the 15th overall pick on a stacked draft year *and* a promising prospect (I think Scott Wheeler of The Athletic had Hallander at 21st best prospect not yet in the league. edit: my mistake, the screenshot i saw was from his pre-draft rankings) is just silly

and the other parts Pittsburgh got are a guy Toronto signed in free agency and played in 5 games and a “prospect” that barely cracked the AHL squad last year

as a Leafs fan I’m thrilled but also further confused why Rutherford still has a job and is still allowed to do this stuff

UnbrokenEva on
  • Options
    Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    Ok Bolts, you won, in OT, again. I got so much to say but ... You won! Good on you boy!

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    Feeling a little better about this LV-Van series after game 2!

:so_raven:
  • Options
    Haven't posted any pettersson highlight gifs in a while, so here's five from tonight's game

• Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    Corvus wrote: »
    Feeling a little better about this LV-Van series after game 2!

i think hughes needs to get back in it for them to have a real chance. he looked very cautious again - so different from his play against the blues. fingers crossed he'll get some of that confidence back

sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    That first goal for Vancouver last night got a big 'ol cheer out of me. I'm not a Canucks fan, but Pettersson is really hard not to like when he pulls shit like that.

• Options
    So the Lightning vs Bruins game. I was playing a game with my daughter and saw we were up 3-1 so I didn’t stop playing to watch it. I finally get to turn the game on at the last few minutes of the 2nd and see the score 6-1 and can’t believe my eyes.

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular
    Ya the Bruins put in their back up goalie who hasn't played in a single NHL game ever.

Within minutes of getting in net he has to deal with Point on a breakaway. (Also Krug slammed Johnson's head into the ice on the complete other side of the rink)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVf_TJwXnJg

FFXIV: Agran Trask
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    Players in the MLB, NBA, WNBA, and MLS all did strikes and cancelled games tonight due to the shootings happening in Kenosha.

The NHL is "skating for black lives" or whatever they're calling it.

Best sport, worst league

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    Ya they had a moment of silence which is the most "Thoughts and Prayers" shit, especially in light of what the other leagues are doing. They should have 100% postponed the games.

• Options
    JayrichoJayricho Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    I hate this transition to late games now in the second round. Anyway, not really the blowout statement win I was hoping for from the Avs, since they blew a 2 goal lead again I see, but I’ll take it.

• Options
    quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    By racial breakdown, the NHL is the least affected by all this. The players don’t have to spend their time following the news because these things by and large don’t really affect them. In other words, their privilege is showing.

At best, the NHL responds to things that actually affect them in a mediocre way. So of course their response to this is incredibly underwhelming. And that’s being generous to them.

• Options
    Well NBC was nice of to put Anson Carter on the spot. Hey Anson, you’re black right? What are your thoughts on the NHL not skipping the games tonight?!?!?

Of course he’s going to say he’s ok with it as he still wants to get paid and have a job tomorrow. But he did bring up a few points. A) That the Brewers and uhm other team that was close to the area made sense to shutdown as it’s in their backyard. B) He said something about hopefully this will help to spotlight police corruption and at least get people talking about it.

So basically he said something without saying anything.

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Honestly I blame the NHLPA more than the league. They could have easily followed suit and didn't.

• Options
    Mugsley wrote: »
    Honestly I blame the NHLPA more than the league. They could have easily followed suit and didn't.

I didn't verify if it was true, but someone said the NBA union contract does not allow the players to strike, so technically what the players did was illegal

But, obviously, the NBA isn't stupid enough to punish literally every player currently in the playoffs.

Not to excuse the NHLPA, but I imagine they are similarly bound

• Options
    EtheaEthea Registered User regular
    The NBA players are doing a wildcat strike.

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    The idea that a union contract would have provisions against striking seems so ridiculous to me. I get that its one of the primary bargaining chips the unions have to trade, but its also their primary fallback option.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    Players being told to prepare for cancellations tonight, as per Elliotte Friedman.

• Options
    Please stop making me like you, Vancouver

• Options
    DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    I thought it was Boston? I mean, they didn't show up to play last night...

• Options
    shalmeloshalmelo sees no evil Registered User regular
    Burtletoy wrote: »

NEVER

(I want to take this at face value, but Brooks has been wrong about everything in hockey for decades so I'm waiting for better reporting)

Steam ID: Shalmelo || LoL: melo2boogaloo || tweets
  • Options
    Catching up on games via the Key Plays feature on YTTV. Man, the DAL-COL matchup is just the teams trading haymakers and I wish I could watch it closer to live (but it starts at 8pm for me)

• Options
    DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    Catching up on games via the Key Plays feature on YTTV. Man, the DAL-COL matchup is just the teams trading haymakers and I wish I could watch it closer to live (but it starts at 8pm for me)

It's been intense. You can see the exact moment the momentum swings and the other team just starts an onslaught.

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    Fuck Ritchie. That was a dirty ass hit. 5 min major, but somehow not a game misconduct

edit- now with video

H0b0man on
  • Options
    BullheadBullhead Registered User regular
    H0b0man wrote: »
    Fuck Ritchie. That was a dirty ass hit. 5 min major, but somehow not a game misconduct

edit- now with video

As always, Fuck the Bruins.

96058.png?1619393207
  • Options
    quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    Oh yeah, suspend the shit out of him

• Options
    I was not happy with this play. Because I’ma Lightning fan I also didn’t like the way the fight later turned out.

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Avs are done.

Deadfall on
    7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    Yeah, it appears I made the right decision to not watch the game since the Score notifications have been enough to just annoy the hell out of me already.

• Options
  • Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    I was gonna say 3-1 is far from insurmountable, but I'm not watching. Seeing that chart, though...they are not playing like a team that could make up even a one-goal deficit right now.

• Options
    edited August 2020
    I hate Perry so much.

Like I'm not sure how that's interference if Mac had the puck?

Deadfall on
    7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    Let's gooooo

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    It’s a sad state of affairs when Michael Hutchinson makes an appearance.

• Options
    And Makar with the deciding goal.

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    MyiagrosMyiagros Registered User regular
    Jayricho wrote: »
    It’s a sad state of affairs when Michael Hutchinson makes an appearance.

Still more games than than he would have seen this season with the Leafs organization.

iRevert wrote: »
    Because if you're going to attempt to squeeze that big black monster into your slot you will need to be able to take at least 12 inches or else you're going to have a bad time...
    Steam: MyiagrosX27
  • Options
    I.....have no idea how to read that chart.

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular

klingberg is thicker at the bottom

obviously

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    edited August 2020

It's showing the ratio of shots (I think it's shot attempts and not shots on goal, could be wrong on this point though) in the game between the two teams with the line gradually getting thicker as more shots happen. So the top is the start of the game and going down the line is further in the game. The Klingberg towards the bottom is marking the point in the game that Klingberg, one of DAL players, scored a goal. That graph is showing damn near the entire line on the DAL side showing that DAL has made almost all of the shot attempts in the game up to that point.

H0b0man on
This discussion has been closed.