As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Jets 'n' Guns available for free - Today only!

RoshinRoshin My backlog can be seen from spaceSwedenRegistered User regular
edited June 2008 in Games and Technology
Yep, the shooter Jets ' n' Guns is available as a free download. The catch is that it must be downloaded and installed today.

http://game.giveawayoftheday.com/

s1.jpg

steam_sig.png
Roshin on

• Options
    Lord JezoLord Jezo Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    A a shooter fan should I have heard about this game before this post?

Lord Jezo on
    Clipboard03.jpg
    I KISS YOU!
  • Options
    thunderclumpthunderclump Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I can't remember whether this game has any link to Tyrian at all, or if I always imagined it did.

However, this has basically just fucked my day of revision.

thunderclump on
    421629-1.png
  • Options
    ZellZell Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I can't remember whether this game has any link to Tyrian at all, or if I always imagined it did.

However, this has basically just fucked my day of revision.

The developers were heavily inspired by it.

Zell on
  • Options
    SonosSonos Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    this game looks infinitely better than the 360s free give away on arcade.

Sonos on
    Sonovius.png
    PokeCode: 3952 3495 1748
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Man, will someone download this then send it to me when my internets are fix'd? (I am on a library PC atm...)

LewieP on
  • Options
    redfenixredfenix Aka'd as rfix Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    This game is hard as something considerably hard.

redfenix on
  • Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    LewieP wrote: »
    Man, will someone download this then send it to me when my internets are fix'd? (I am on a library PC atm...)
    you need to install it today too for it to work, and the installation requires net access

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    bastards

LewieP on
  • Options
    zhen_roguezhen_rogue Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Why do you have to install it today as well?

Is there some sort of online registration/unlocking mehcanism that must be satisfied in order for your game to work?

zhen_rogue on
  • Options
    LCDXXLCDXX A flask of wood and glass Terre Haute, INRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2007
    zhen_rogue wrote: »
    Why do you have to install it today as well?

Is there some sort of online registration/unlocking mehcanism that must be satisfied in order for your game to work?

I wanna know this, too. Because I can download it right away... installing it right away is another matter.

LCDXX on
    XBL: LCDXX | PSN: LCDXX | Steam: LCDXX
  • Options
    Fartacus_the_MightyFartacus_the_Mighty Brought to you by the letter A.Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Download it, install it, then move the installed files to the machine of your choice. Hopefully it'll be that simple for those of you who can't download it onto your main PC immediately.

Fartacus_the_Mighty on
  • Options
    redfenixredfenix Aka'd as rfix Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    It seems to connect to the site for time confirmation on install.

So, a later install will be fucked.

redfenix on
  • Options
    zhen_roguezhen_rogue Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    redfenix wrote: »
    It seems to connect to the site for time confirmation on install.

So, a later install will be fucked.

Confirmed, I just installed it.
    The setup.exe file validates your installation online, and then activates online after installation is complete.

Therefore, if you d/l this, you really must install it within the next 16 hours.

zhen_rogue on
  • Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    This is probably the most fun I've had with a PC SHMUP since Raptor.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Maybe I'm not getting it. It seems like a gimped version of Darius.

This sells for $30?!

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    ZellZell Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    No, it doesn't. The gold version which is 90 MB does. And I don't see the comparison to Darius, except them both being side scrolling shooters.

Besides, it's free today and only 75 MB, there's not much reasons not to try it.

Zell on
  • Options
    RavenlockRavenlock Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    For those who are confused: Game Giveaway of the Day does this every day - that is, they give away a game that usually costs monies. Usually it's not a very good game, but on occasion they give away something really pretty sweet. This one looks decent, I'll probably check it out when I get home.

But yes, you have to install it that day or it doesn't work. The setup file has been modified such that it connects to GGOTD's site and gets confirmation before it'll install. Either that or there's an activation.exe that needs to be run in order to write the correct registry keys for the game to run - and again, it connects to GGOTD's site for confirmation. If you try to do it the next day, you're S-O-L.

For indie developers it's a pretty good deal; they give away their product for one day and a certain, fairly small segment of their potential audience either becomes (1) fans who might buy their other games, or (2) word of mouth on the "free" game to tell other people after the giveaway is over that they should buy it.

Bad news is, so far they only have a couple of regular contributing developers - Alawar Entertainment shows up all the time, for example - so the offerings get kind of repetitive. I can't count how many days it's been a breakout clone or a Zuma ripoff.

But occasionally, it's good, so I stick them on my RSS reader and check every day to see what's there. www.giveawayoftheday.com does the same thing, but with productivity software.

Ravenlock on
    Steam ID: Ravenlock
    XBL / GFWL Gamertag: Ravenlock80
    Wii System Code: 3019 1654 2730 1955
    <Whore> Listen to me rant on the Immortal Machines PC Gaming Podcast! </Whore>
  • Options
    NeedleNeedle Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Not bad. Really not bad. And even if you don't want to play it, I'd say its worth downloading for the soundtrack alone.

11 hours left.

Needle on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Sick, I totally forgot about this site. :^: to you sir.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    JobastionJobastion Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    <3 Roshin. I got Alien Shooter when it was posted last time around. Sometimes it's a great site.

Jobastion on
    Recommended reading - Worm (Superhero Genre) & Pact (Modern Fantasy Thriller) |
    Backlog Wars - Sonic Generations | Steam!
    Viewing the forums through rose colored glasses... or Suriko's Ye Old Style and The PostCount/TimeStamp Restoral Device
  • Options
    ShujaaShujaa Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Caddish Unfair Attack of Xoxx' Stellar Bastards

best subtitle ever? I think so. Also, Colonel Troubleman appears to be your boss.

And yeah, it's very Raptor-esque :D

Shujaa on
  • Options
    rayofashrayofash Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    This game gave me a BSOD and shut down my computer!

The fudge was that!? The game was loading, then the screen went blue and a bunch of text flew by and my computer shut down (as if the power to it had been cut). And it all happaned in less than a second! If I had blinked I would have missed it.

I'm not going to try this game again, a Blue Screen of Death on Windows XP is very very bad.

rayofash on
  • Options
    ShujaaShujaa Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Not even for the United Space Ship Impotence?

Shujaa on
  • Options
    NorayNoray Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Played it... very meh. I liked the music! That was about it. After 2 minutes I was like... 'wait a minute, I could be playing DoDonPachi instead. c ya'

Noray on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Well after d/ling and trying it for awhile i have to say i'm pleasantly surprised. I wouldnt pay for it but its damned good for free =) And its so nice watching your body count rise astronomically as you blast little men out of space with giant balls of plasma :lol:

taliosfalcon on
  • Options
    Marty81Marty81 Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    This doesn't install any spyware or DRM shit on my computer, right?

Also, Machinae Supremacy did the soundtrack - it can be DL'd for free at their website.

Marty81 on
  • Options
    PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Marty81 wrote: »
    This doesn't install any spyware or DRM shit on my computer, right?

Also, Machinae Supremacy did the soundtrack - it can be DL'd for free at their website.

I have no idea if it does or not, but the last time I installed a game from their site (Alien Shooter, which really wasn't that great anyway), my PC began to sporadically restart itself every couple hours. Once I uninstalled the game, everything worked fine again.

I don't know if it was that game or something to do with how that site distributes the games, but someone here had a problem with their PC restarting when they tried to run this game. Not the same problem (maybe, it might take a while to find out, if we ever do), but it's similar.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    I've installed this and alien shooter, i've had alien shooter installed for..well..i can't remember when it was free but quite awhile and havent noticed any problems, my weekly virus and spyware scans haven't picked up any problems either. its a pretty popular website i think there'd be an uproar if they were ever discovered to install spyware

taliosfalcon on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I see I was a bit late on the whole Machinae Supremacy soundtrack thing, but the site is here. Too bad you can't just download them all in one bundle. :s

I haven't run into any technical problems, by the way. Everything was fine when I had the demo and everything is fine when the full game is installed.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    ArugulaZArugulaZ Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    FUCK YES. Thanks much to the person who posted this... you just saved me thirty dollars! Now I just have to cross my fingers and hope that it will run on my laptop...

ArugulaZ on
    JR

Same old site, great new look! Check out The Gameroom Blitz at:
    http://www.lakupo.com/grblitz
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    I'm glad I saved the music before deleting the game. This is a great soundtrack!

rayofash on
  • Options
    PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2007
    Download it, install it, then move the installed files to the machine of your choice. Hopefully it'll be that simple for those of you who can't download it onto your main PC immediately.

Circumventing the terms of use and violating the copyright.

Just because it didn't cost you nothin' doesn't mean it's cool to start making copies. At least don't give copies away to others, anyhow.

Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
  • Options
    PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2007
    rayofash wrote: »
    THIS GAME GAVE ME A BSOD AND SHUT DOWN MY COMPUTER!

The fudge was that!? The game was loading, then the screen went blue and a bunch of text flew by and my computer shut down (as if the power to it had been cut). And it all happaned in less than a second! If I had blinked I would have missed it.

I'm not going to try this game again, a Blue Screen of Death on Windows XP is very very bad.

Oh fuck off

It's probably just a driver incompatibility on your part

Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
  • Options
    StregoneStregone VA, USARegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Needle wrote: »
    Not bad. Really not bad. And even if you don't want to play it, I'd say its worth downloading for the soundtrack alone.

11 hours left.

You can downlaod the whole soundtrack straight from the artist.

Stregone on
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Of course I'm at my parent's place without my computer the day they give a decent game away.

I bookmarked that site after they gave away Alien Shooter, it's been worth it. I wasted an hour on a Mahjong game and a few on a Diner Dash clone.

captaink on
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    While randomly looking to see if there was any news on the supposed PSP port of Cave Story, I see this game was made by the same company thats "working" on the PSP game.

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    pheezer FD wrote: »
    rayofash wrote: »
    This game gave me a BSOD and shut down my computer!

Oh fuck off

It's probably just a driver incompatibility on your part

No u!

rayofash on
  • Options
    SkyGheNeSkyGheNe Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I'm a video game music lover and wow - this ost is amazing. Reminiscent of the megaman series, but hella more complicated.

SkyGheNe on
  • Options
    skaceskace Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I just beat Jets n Guns. I feel guilty about not paying anything for it.

skace on
    http://picasaweb.google.com/skacer | Shiren:5413-0147-4655
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RavenlockRavenlock Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    skace wrote: »
    I just beat Jets n Guns. I feel guilty about not paying anything for it.
    Don't. Just spread the word and if you really want to give them your $$, buy another of their games. Or the gold edition.

By downloading it and liking it enough to talk about it, you validated their putting it on the site. That's the best result they could ask for. :^:

Ravenlock on
    Steam ID: Ravenlock
    XBL / GFWL Gamertag: Ravenlock80
    Wii System Code: 3019 1654 2730 1955
    <Whore> Listen to me rant on the Immortal Machines PC Gaming Podcast! </Whore>