As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Penny Arcade - Comic - Trouble At Home

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited July 2019 in The Penny Arcade Hub

imagePenny Arcade - Comic - Trouble At Home

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• Options
    KagatoACKagatoAC Registered User regular
    Get that Real world experience started early. Now lets discuss Crunch Time.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    The response to "we had to let your little brother go" is amazing.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I also like how he clearly just came into his room to wake him up.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Jakk FrostJakk Frost Registered User regular
    Is it bad that, slight exaggeration aside, I view this as kind of good parenting? Gabe is teaching his kid what life will be like, instead of being a bulldozer parent who tells him life is grand and easy.

• Options
    marsiliesmarsilies Registered User regular
    Regarding the accompanying post and "anyone can code"....

I think when people say "anyone can code," it reminds me of the food critic Anton Ego's review in the movie Ratatouille:
    In the past, I have made no secret of my disdain for Chef Gusteau's famous motto: "Anyone can cook." But I realize, only now do I truly understand what he meant. Not everyone can become a great artist, but a great artist can come from anywhere.

So, not everyone can become a great programmer, but a great programmer can come from anywhere.

• Options
    rembrandtqeinsteinrembrandtqeinstein Registered User regular
    "fun way to learn coding"

famous last words

but really with true 4th gen language dev tools like Stencyl you really don't need to learn code except at the very highest level of abstraction

• Options
    FireballDragonFireballDragon Registered User regular
    marsilies wrote: »

I think when people say "anyone can code," it reminds me of the food critic Anton Ego's review in the movie Ratatouille:
    In the past, I have made no secret of my disdain for Chef Gusteau's famous motto: "Anyone can cook." But I realize, only now do I truly understand what he meant. Not everyone can become a great artist, but a great artist can come from anywhere.

So, not everyone can become a great programmer, but a great programmer can come from anywhere.

This to a T.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    marsilies wrote: »

And much like cooking, most anyone probably can learn to do it to an extent. Most people will probably not make the next killer app (or run a restaurant that critics rave about ), but they can probably learn to do useful tasks for their own purposes ( like being able to make a decent supper).

It ( and supporting skills like breaking down problems logically, etc) is probably as useful a skill to learn in school as finding the area under a curve.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Also much like cooking, I think everyone should learn the basics of it. In part because it makes your life easier, and in the case of coding because it'll make you understand what all of this technology around you really is, rather than mostly thinking it's magic.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    But... it is magic!

• Options
    As a professional programmer, I can definitely say it just shifts the bar for where the magic is. Like I can totally understand how digital displays work, but then I look at a analog color television and I'm like 'So these people were actual Goddamn wizards then?'

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    As a professional programmer, I can definitely say it just shifts the bar for where the magic is. Like I can totally understand how digital displays work, but then I look at a analog color television and I'm like 'So these people were actual Goddamn wizards then?'

You should look into it some time. It's actually pretty cool, and totally understandble (spoken as another professional programmer).

• Options
    ironheadironhead Registered User regular

I know that feeling. I'm a web dev. First time I ever hung out with a network security guy I couldn't tell if he was telling me about a project he was working on or if he was trying to cast some sort of arcane incantation.

• Options
    dennis wrote: »

You should look into it some time. It's actually pretty cool, and totally understandble (spoken as another professional programmer).

I've kinda sorta looked at it, but signal stuff in general gets all wobbly in my head. Give me discrete math any day.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    dennis wrote: »

I've kinda sorta looked at it, but signal stuff in general gets all wobbly in my head. Give me discrete math any day.

Oooooh, you mean the SIGNAL part of analog TV, and not just the way the displays work. Gotcha. That's totally satanic.

• Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    I remember wanting to write something that would move something IRL in response to input and it just seemed impossible to do.

But now I know you tell it to do it and it just happens, and if you tell it to do it really hard it will.

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    I remember wanting to write something that would move something IRL in response to input and it just seemed impossible to do.

But now I know you tell it to do it and it just happens, and if you tell it to do it really hard it will.

I'm going to keep repeating this in my head until the last brain cell dies.

dennis on
  • Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    F8J9a2x.png

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    ironhead wrote: »

I know that feeling. I'm a web dev. First time I ever hung out with a network security guy I couldn't tell if he was telling me about a project he was working on or if he was trying to cast some sort of arcane incantation.

If Shadowrun has taught me anything it's that the two of those are not mutually exclusive by any means.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772