As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

US Immigration Policy - ICE still the worst, acting in open defiance of orders given.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Ladai wrote: »
    Should be noted -- and it is pointed out in the Politco story linked above -- that this exact thing also happened back in March, but Trump vetoed it. He is expected to veto it again. According to the story, the Democrats can continue to call for a vote to end the emergency declaration every six months.

Also some vote breakdowns, from the Politico story:
    The eleven Republican senators joining Democrats to disapprove of the emergency declaration were Susan Collins of Maine, Mitt Romney of Utah, Lamar Alexander of Tennessee, Lisa Murkowski of Alaska, Rand Paul of Kentucky, Mike Lee of Utah, Jerry Moran of Kansas, Rob Portman of Ohio, Pat Toomey of Pennsylvania, Roy Blunt of Missouri and Roger Wicker of Mississippi. Marco Rubio of Florida, who previously voted to disapprove of the emergency declaration did not vote.

Sens. Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.), Cory Booker (D-N.J.), Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) and Kamala Harris (D-Calif.) — all 2020 candidates — also did not vote.

why the hell not?!

It would have put them 2 short of veto proof right?

(60 is veto proof, right?)

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Xaquin wrote: »
    Should be noted -- and it is pointed out in the Politco story linked above -- that this exact thing also happened back in March, but Trump vetoed it. He is expected to veto it again. According to the story, the Democrats can continue to call for a vote to end the emergency declaration every six months.

The eleven Republican senators joining Democrats to disapprove of the emergency declaration were Susan Collins of Maine, Mitt Romney of Utah, Lamar Alexander of Tennessee, Lisa Murkowski of Alaska, Rand Paul of Kentucky, Mike Lee of Utah, Jerry Moran of Kansas, Rob Portman of Ohio, Pat Toomey of Pennsylvania, Roy Blunt of Missouri and Roger Wicker of Mississippi. Marco Rubio of Florida, who previously voted to disapprove of the emergency declaration did not vote.

Sens. Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.), Cory Booker (D-N.J.), Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) and Kamala Harris (D-Calif.) — all 2020 candidates — also did not vote.

why the hell not?!

They are not in Washington.

And 60 is what breaks filibuster. Breaking the veto is a separate action.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    Fencingsax wrote: »

why the hell not?!

ahh

I realize they need to campaign, but I hope they don't make a habit of missing important votes

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited September 2019

why the hell not?!

ahh

I realize they need to campaign, but I hope they don't make a habit of missing important votes

Presumably, if there was an actual filibuster notice, they would fly in.

This always happens during campaigns.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    If this passed 54-41, it wasn't an important vote. If they're needed to override a veto, they'll be there.

Veto override requires 2/3rds of each house, though, so the threshold is 67, not 60.

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular

why the hell not?!

ahh

The vote went through 54-41 in a Republican majority Senate. I'm sure they would've been there if they were expecting it to be a close call.

• Options
    Also, I think this is a procedural vote that cannot be filibustered, but I may remember wrong from last time.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular

why the hell not?!

Also "veto proof" isn't a thing, exactly. If a bill is said to be veto proof it means that it was voted through with enough support that a veto would be, presumably, only for show. That if Congress voted again and voted the same way then it would override a veto. That's mainly theoretical and they'd still have to go through that override process.

All of which is to say it didn't matter that Sanders/Warren weren't there for this.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
  • Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    The timing on this screams that the GOP hates that bases in their states are being pillaged for Trump’s racist vanity project too, else they wouldn’t be trying to sneak this by Trump when he’s too busy having a temper tantrum for even Miller’s slimy tendrils to gain his attention.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular

why the hell not?!

Also, running back every time there is a vote that MIGHT pass, but probably won't, will be used as a weapon by Republicans. The afternoon of a debate, or a scheduled event, call a vote on somewhat meaningful (but not absolutely so), but one the Republican leadership have enough wiggle room they can cause to fail. Basically, a couple Senators on their side, that can vote in favor if they don't show up, and against, if they do.

So, either these four Senators have to break off their scheduled appointments to rush to Washington, and then have their vote not actually matter, or they don't show up unless it's important, and continue working to become President.

Or hell, Republicans just have McConnell cancel the scheduling vote after he's confirmed they've all arrived back in the Capitol. "Yeah, SR47 is delayed until further notice, sorry you had to rush in.". This was a storyline from late season West Wing, but I can absolutely see McConnell weaponizing it.

Because McConnell is an asshole.

• Options
    The timing on this screams that the GOP hates that bases in their states are being pillaged for Trump’s racist vanity project too, else they wouldn’t be trying to sneak this by Trump when he’s too busy having a temper tantrum for even Miller’s slimy tendrils to gain his attention.

I think it has to happen every 6 months, and last time was in March

• Options
    Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    I mean let’s be honest here. Military families in Red States are absolutely GOP voters.

There have to have been at least a few who rang up their local senator and screamed their ear off because vague support for Trump suddenly became Billy and Amber do their lessons in a leaky prefab for another year because the money that was going to their new middle school went to that fence Mexico was supposed to pay for.

• Options
    MillMill Registered User regular
    I need to see if we've gotten an official ruling on Trump's bullshit in regards to pillaging funds. I want to say that is still pending a ruling or hasn't be heard by SCOTUS yet. Getting told twice to fuck off by Congress, probably nudges things closer to SCOTUS ruling against Trump. I think when they ended the injunction, I want to say there was some bullshit about how Congress hasn't really made their intent clear. There can be no argument at this point, twice now Congress said now and each chamber is controlled by a different party.

Though so much shit happens, I might be remembering wrong. Dude has like a fucking hundred lawsuits filed against him.

• Options

Only every six months or at least every six months?

I mean, it totally could be a coincidence, but seems like it’s taking advantage of the distraction (understatement).

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options

Only every six months or at least every six months?

I mean, it totally could be a coincidence, but seems like it’s taking advantage of the distraction (understatement).

I think what basically happens is that the emergency declaration has to be renewed every 6 months, and the House and Senate have an opportunity to say "lol nope! not an emergency!" at the time. But I could have lost track somewhere.

• Options
    what was the vote count last time?

this time it would have been 58 to 42

• Options
    ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    So the White House has decided its solution to the migrant problem is to deport anyone, regardless of nationality, approaching the southern border to Honduras. There, if Washington is lucky, they will be killed in a quiet and efficient manner that American media does not have to notice.

Problem solved, everybody!

• Options
    LadaiLadai Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    what was the vote count last time?

this time it would have been 58 to 42

Last time it was 59 to 41.

Which, if you count Rubio, who voted to end the emergency declaration the last time but didn't vote at all this time, it would've been the same count this time -- 59 to 41.

Today's vote had 41 senators vote against it, not 42.

Ladai on
    ely3ub6du1oe.jpg
  • Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    Zibblsnrt wrote: »
    So the White House has decided its solution to the migrant problem is to deport anyone, regardless of nationality, approaching the southern border to Honduras. There, if Washington is lucky, they will be killed in a quiet and efficient manner that American media does not have to notice.

You have got to be kidding me. It's the source of a good chunk of asylum seekers ffs!
    Department of Homeland Security officials reached the accord with the government of president Juan Orlando Hernández, who is embroiled in allegations of government corruption and charges that he and others have been operating the nation as a criminal enterprise — Hernández has been named as a co-conspirator in a major U.S. drug trafficking case.

Oh look, I can still be shocked.

And further depressed.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

You have got to be kidding me. It's the source of a good chunk of asylum seekers ffs!
    Department of Homeland Security officials reached the accord with the government of president Juan Orlando Hernández, who is embroiled in allegations of government corruption and charges that he and others have been operating the nation as a criminal enterprise — Hernández has been named as a co-conspirator in a major U.S. drug trafficking case.

And further depressed.

One of the interesting wrinkles to the whole Northern Triangle countries issue is that the leaders don't actually want a lot of the aid the US and the UN were/are providing because it's primarily aimed at the rampant corruption that is a huge source of the problems there (which is a huge source of the migration to the US issue). Because when you are investigating massive amounts of government corruption, guess who is usually involved?

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »

And further depressed.

One of the interesting wrinkles to the whole Northern Triangle countries issue is that the leaders don't actually want a lot of the aid the US and the UN were/are providing because it's primarily aimed at the rampant corruption that is a huge source of the problems there (which is a huge source of the migration to the US issue). Because when you are investigating massive amounts of government corruption, guess who is usually involved?

Trump?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    So what's the odds that with the impeachment stuff, he actually forgets to veto the bill?

Because I feel like that's actually non-zero >_>

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Jragghen wrote: »
    So what's the odds that with the impeachment stuff, he actually forgets to veto the bill?

Miller will make sure he vetoes it, I bet.

• Options
    honovere wrote: »

Miller will make sure he vetoes it, I bet.

I’m cautiously optimistic Trump will forget to sign it.

Sure, Miller is a snake and is probably aware of what the Senate passed yesterday, but on the other hand Trump is a petulant child that takes his ire out on those around him or sulks inward when he can’t get what he wants. Miller trying to get Trump to do some actual work, even signing his name on a veto, might make Miller the focus of an enraged Trump looking for an easy target.

There’s a non-zero chance that it won’t be vetoed in time because Trump is too distracted by the impeachment and too much of a baby to focus.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular

Here's the head of ICE being a shit heel to a congresswoman, is it any surprise really?

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Preacher wrote: »

Here's the head of ICE being a shit heel to a congresswoman, is it any surprise really?

"My taxes pay your salary!"

Ahh, so the head of ICE is literally just every angry racist conservative old white dude when talking to anyone even vaguely related to the government. Good to know.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    what.
    a.
    surprise.

• Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »

"My taxes pay your salary!"

Ahh, so the head of ICE is literally just every angry racist conservative old white dude when talking to anyone even vaguely related to the government. Good to know.

....but he’s a government employee too!

Her taxes pay his salary AND she was elected to oversee him!

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    Yeah, abolish ICE. See if we can salvage some of the departments that covered sex trafficking and shit, but everything else needs to be burned down, jailed, and blackballed from government employment.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I guess ICE are griping that people in Seattle aren't turning a blind eye to their deportation shenanigans:

https://komonews.com/news/local/ice-worries-officers-are-unsafe

Key takeaway quotes:
    “Those incidents when there are bystanders who are disrupting the encounter we are attempting to conduct with the target,” said Nathalie Asher, ICE regional director.

There are witnesses of our abductions!
    They contend protesters don’t understand that they are just doing their job and upholding federal immigration law.

Ahh...the good ol' "We're just following orders!" defense.

It should be noted that the article is written by "KOMO staff" and not listed as "Sinclair Broadcasting"

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular

Reporter for The Daily Beast and The Young Turks (unfamiliar with that latter one)

Little more from the opening of NYT’s story:
    The Oval Office meeting this past March began, as so many had, with President Trump fuming about migrants. But this time he had a solution. As White House advisers listened astonished, he ordered them to shut down the entire 2,000-mile border with Mexico — by noon the next day.

The advisers feared the president’s edict would trap American tourists in Mexico, strand children at schools on both sides of the border and create an economic meltdown in two countries. Yet they also knew how much the president’s zeal to stop immigration had sent him lurching for solutions, one more extreme than the next.

Privately, the president had often talked about fortifying a border wall with a water-filled trench, stocked with snakes or alligators, prompting aides to seek a cost estimate. He wanted the wall electrified, with spikes on top that could pierce human flesh. After publicly suggesting that soldiers shoot migrants if they threw rocks, the president backed off when his staff told him that was illegal. But later in a meeting, aides recalled, he suggested that they shoot migrants in the legs to slow them down. That’s not allowed either, they told him.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/01/us/politics/trump-border-wars.html?action=click&module=Top Stories&pgtype=Homepage

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    "stocked with snakes or alligators, prompting aides to seek a cost estimate" is an amazing and terrifying line.

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Fucking what

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    It was his view that the president needed to completely overhaul the Homeland Security Department and get rid of senior officials who he believed were thwarting efforts to block immigrants. Although many were the president’s handpicked aides, Mr. Miller told him they had become part of the problem by constantly citing legal hurdles.

Ms. Nielsen, who regularly found herself telling Mr. Trump why he couldn’t have what he wanted, was an obvious target. When the president demanded “flat black” paint on his border wall, she said it would cost an additional $1 million per mile. When he ordered wall construction sped up, she said they needed permission from property owners. Take the land, Mr. Trump would say, and let them sue us.

When Ms. Nielsen tried to get him to focus on something other than the border, the president grew impatient. During a briefing on the need for new legal authority to take down drones, Mr. Trump cut her off midsentence.

“Kirstjen, you didn’t hear me the first time, honey,” Mr. Trump said, according to two people familiar with the conversation. “Shoot ’em down. Sweetheart, just shoot ’em out of the sky, O.K.?”
    They were right. On a trip to California late in the week, Mr. Trump turned to Mr. McAleenan, the Customs and Border Protection chief, with a new idea: He wanted him to stop letting migrants cross the border at all, with no exceptions. If you get into any trouble for it, Mr. Trump told him, I’ll pardon you.

Once on the ground, Mr. Trump met up with Ms. Nielsen and worked a room filled with Border Patrol agents. Start turning away migrants at the border, he told them. My message to you is, keep them all out, the president said. Every single one of them. The country is full.

After the president left the room, Mr. McAleenan told the agents to ignore the president. You absolutely do not have the authority to stop processing migrants altogether, he warned.
    When Ms. Nielsen presented her plan to Mr. Trump at the White House, he dismissed it and told her what he really needed was a cement wall.

“Sir,” she said, “I literally don’t think that’s even possible.” They couldn’t build that now even if it would work, which it wouldn’t, Ms. Nielsen told him. The designs for steel barriers had long since been finalized, the contracts bid and signed.

Pretty sure that should be impeachable.

Trump is like Homer Simpson designing a car but a racist wall instead of a car.

Couscous on
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    https://youtu.be/vf8FHTuGPaE

The President about 8 years ago.

“Maybe they’ll want a moat!”

[Audience laughter]

“Maybe they’ll want alligators in the moat.”

[Laughter continues, gets louder]

• Options
    Couscous wrote: »
    "stocked with snakes or alligators, prompting aides to seek a cost estimate" is an amazing and terrifying line.

It's the "What if we just killed all the poor?" sketch come to life.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    From that article.

The happiest he had been with Ms. Nielsen was a few months earlier, when American border agents had fired tear gas into Mexico to try to stop migrants from crossing into the United States. Human rights organizations condemned the move, but Mr. Trump loved it. More often, though, she drew the president’s scorn.

What a human piece of shit. Like we all knew he was, but wow. Happy with us firing tear gas at families.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    It’s like an Austin Powers and a Captain Planet villain came to life and had a baby, then except all the funny and entertaining bits were removed.

For fucks sakes, snakes and alligators? Am I in an Indiana Jones movie now? What’s next? Cost estimates for a literal Death Star?

steam_sig.png

This discussion has been closed.