As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WH40K] Big Preview Tomorrow!

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Im slowly eyeing admech+knights

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    MonwynMonwyn Apathy's a tragedy, and boredom is a crime. A little bit of everything, all of the time.Registered User regular

AdMech is bonkers fun and low-key one of the best monofaction armies available. Your only real weaknesses are poor morale, a complete lack of ability to deal with psykers, and that you're slow as hell. They have far and away the best troops-slot choices in the game; I still can't believe Kataphron Destroyers aren't a heavy support slot, and with the points drop on arc-rifles there's a solid case to be made that you should just be running like 8-10 units of Rangers in every single army regardless of whatever else you're trying to do. Compare this to most other armies where troops are considered a tax you pay to get CP.

My understanding is that Knights are in a less-great spot right now due to the sheer weight of fire new Marines can bring to the table.

uH3IcEi.png
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Yes but you see theyre mechs

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    I wouldn't be surprised if Ad Mech (and maybe Necrons) were included in the Tau "Greater Good" PA book set for February.

Dark horse possibility is Deathguard because both their recent books feature lore and a 2 page splat of them facing off.

• Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    I've thought about playing AdMech. Solely to run Forgeworld Metalica and wear my Ride The Lightning shirt.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    The Sister's codex seems to have removed the 'no men under arms' rules lawyering that was the original out that let the Ecclesiarchy keep a standing army post-Vandire. I rather liked that bit.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    Monwyn wrote: »

AdMech is bonkers fun and low-key one of the best monofaction armies available. Your only real weaknesses are poor morale, a complete lack of ability to deal with psykers, and that you're slow as hell. They have far and away the best troops-slot choices in the game; I still can't believe Kataphron Destroyers aren't a heavy support slot, and with the points drop on arc-rifles there's a solid case to be made that you should just be running like 8-10 units of Rangers in every single army regardless of whatever else you're trying to do. Compare this to most other armies where troops are considered a tax you pay to get CP.

My understanding is that Knights are in a less-great spot right now due to the sheer weight of fire new Marines can bring to the table.

I’m frankly shocked that the kataphron mono-build isn’t as big a deal as it should be. I played it at an event and it killed three riptides, a broadside unit and all my drones turn one.

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Norgoth wrote: »

I’m frankly shocked that the kataphron mono-build isn’t as big a deal as it should be. I played it at an event and it killed three riptides, a broadside unit and all my drones turn one.

I think its partially due to how expensive kataphrons are. I want 9 but that is a lot of money.

But a full set of Ryza kataphrons+vigilus detachment+servitors+reroll aura is a lot of damage a turn and they are tough platforms.

And you can build out a few cheap battalions around them as well for CP.

Top it off with some dune crawlers and the scorpius disentagrators you have a lot of damage for not a ton of points that can target about everything.

Mix in chickens and such as you want.

Right now I have about 1k points of ad mech. And that is a lot of models. 20xrangers/vanguard, 3 chickens, 3(4) dunecrawlers, 2xcheap hqs, 1xdominus, 1xscorpius.

I think my thing with Ad Mech its hard to decided what I want to fill in next. I want cataphrons, more rangers and vanguards (10 of each and 2 more snipers). I want priest and infiltrators. 2x more chickens, at least one more scorpius.

Maybe some 1950's robots?

Its a cool army.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    MonwynMonwyn Apathy's a tragedy, and boredom is a crime. A little bit of everything, all of the time.Registered User regular
    They're very CP hungry and have a couple real bad matchups. Flyer spam wrecks them, and anything that can get a charge off turn one is going to be tricky.

uH3IcEi.png
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    The one time I've played pure Ad Mech it completely wrecked my Dark Eldar in a couple of turns, the only harder stomp I've experienced this edition was against Imperial Fists. I dunno what the consensus is about them but I know I would be pretty nervous to play them again.

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    They're very CP hungry and have a couple real bad matchups. Flyer spam wrecks them, and anything that can get a charge off turn one is going to be tricky.

Just with how cheap they are and good planning I think you can screen out the charges with cheap rangers/vanguard. CP is dirt cheap for them still with the Rusty 17. Flyers are harder and that is where I think you have to decided between Cawl and Mars or Ryza buffs. Cawl rerolls still rock verse everything.

I think the biggest weakness of Ad Mech is they are squishy. Mega-squishy. T3 on most models. 4+/5+ with a 6++ isn't going to survive marine shooting. Especially with IF that ignore cover of shroud pslam.

Though verse flyers the icarus array dunecrawlers are now only 100 points a pop and can do work. So many guns.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    A buddy used a mix Guard / Admech against my Necron over the weekend. They killed my Seraptek Construct turn one ( :( ) and, during the entire game, every Onager rolled 3 shots for the Neutron Blaster.

It did not go well for the Necron. Poor Necron.

I am aware the Construct is not good.

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    And now that the Adeptus Mechanicus are getting a flyer of their own, certain weaknesses will disappear unless the thing is mega-points.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    We'll have to see what it actually does. From the pictures it seems like the base weaponry is just two twin stubbers, with optional stubbers for the doors. And then the front stubbers can be replaced by twin phosphor and the back with the bomb rack. It also looks small so I expect at most a 5-6 transport capacity. A flying Razorback?

• Options
    Mazzyx wrote: »

Just with how cheap they are and good planning I think you can screen out the charges with cheap rangers/vanguard. CP is dirt cheap for them still with the Rusty 17. Flyers are harder and that is where I think you have to decided between Cawl and Mars or Ryza buffs. Cawl rerolls still rock verse everything.

I think the biggest weakness of Ad Mech is they are squishy. Mega-squishy. T3 on most models. 4+/5+ with a 6++ isn't going to survive marine shooting. Especially with IF that ignore cover of shroud pslam.

Though verse flyers the icarus array dunecrawlers are now only 100 points a pop and can do work. So many guns.

The biggest problem with screening out charges is stuff like Lord's Discordant backed up by shooty dreads, where they have enough firepower to just mulch your screen and then charge all the way across the board while being tough enough to not care about the flamers. Stuff with extra range consolidate shenanigans is also a problem depending on your deployment/table. 9-12 Kats take up a bunch of space, there's just no way around that.

The points drop on Arc Rifles does make trip-Battalion way more enticing, though. I'm messing around with lists a lot, may post a couple up tonight.

uH3IcEi.png
  • Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    daveNYC wrote: »
    The Sister's codex seems to have removed the 'no men under arms' rules lawyering that was the original out that let the Ecclesiarchy keep a standing army post-Vandire. I rather liked that bit.

The Celestine audio-drama touched on this, though it left off with no definite answer one way or the other on how the church ultimately went

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    Legends, the last resting place of rules for oop models is now online for 40k

https://www.warhammer-community.com/legends/#warhammer-40000

• Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    Woah, I wasn't expecting all of the Legion of the Damned to get turned into Legends.

Hurts for DE too. Going to miss Trueborn and Blasters on Archons.

Edit: Fuck, Bonesingers are gone for Craftworlds?

Burnage on
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    What?
    Miss them how? There are rules and points for them right there…

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    What?
    Miss them how? There are rules and points for them right there…

not for competitive play

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Still I liked the options you could get for an autarch. [warp packs and other wargear options under the rule of three} in the Xenos book

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    Yay, I got my SoB box set!

I enjoy how the Emperor is literally in the command hierarchy of the Adepta Sororitas

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    No-Quarter wrote: »
    I wouldn't be surprised if Ad Mech (and maybe Necrons) were included in the Tau "Greater Good" PA book set for February.

Dark horse possibility is Deathguard because both their recent books feature lore and a 2 page splat of them facing off.

1d4 thinks it's going to be Tau vs Deathguard, yeah.

I'm eagerly awaiting the Custodes. I really think we're gonna see a return of the Sisters of Silence.

• Options
    edited December 2019
    So the Collector's Edition of Faith and Fury has a Collector's Edition specific chapter. Supposedly this will be posted on the website in the next few weeks. It had better, because to quote one person on reddit, "[this] is the BIGGEST thing I've read in 25 years of following the fluff."

https://www.reddit.com/r/40kLore/comments/e5xunk/interesting_bits_from_the_psychic_awakening_2/
    ... Wherein the Alpha Legion turns an entire planet of Imperial Civilians into psykers instantly, except they're faithful to the Emperor and inspired by the Sisters of Battle being there to defend them. Called the "Humble Saints" they can banish demons and burn heretics with a glance, and... oh yeah, did I mention they accidentally summon The Emperor Angelic, a giant fucking Greater Demon of the Emperor with a huge burning sword that is surrounded by lesser demons in the form of Golden Eagles, all of which banish demons by merely being around them?

Edit: It's also mentioned on the fandom.com wiki (search "Angelic") and behind a uh, paywalled Bell of Lost Souls article that just landed today.

KiTA on
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    Burnage wrote: »
    Woah, I wasn't expecting all of the Legion of the Damned to get turned into Legends.

That really sucks. After seeing backburner factions like Inquisitors and the Sisters of Silence get Indexes in White Dwarf I was hoping GW would throw the spookyboys a bone in the form of some new rules.

I have a full set of the models, but I'm tempted to pick up enough to fill out two 10 man squads before GW pulls them. I'd never run them because 25ppm is absolutely insane, but still.

• Options
    I am absolutely dumbfounded that the Legion of the Damned isn't a Kill Team. Seems like a no brainer.

But then again, apparently there's no Inquisition Kill Team rules, either.

• Options
    Long run theory here, theyre benching the legion of the damned for when the empreror finally kicks it and becomes a chaos god.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    boo hiss on collectors having more than artwork boo!

• Options
    KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    Looking further into successor chapters or loyalists to play, I'd completely omitted DA & BA when chapter shopping.

BA look cool, and up my alley playstyle wise, but as someone who just wants to play with new primaris stuff, a ton of their strats/relics/etc don't work with primaris.

The new book at least includes Death Company Intercessors, but still.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    You might like a White Scars successor. Somewhat similar to BA in play style.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    Long run theory here, theyre benching the legion of the damned for when the empreror finally kicks it and becomes a chaos god.

Yeah uh, you really need to read that Faith and Fury thing.

Valrak has picked it up. Wondering if Arch will next.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pLdsuY9-eA

• Options
    imperial demon models are going to be printing cash

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    You might like a White Scars successor. Somewhat similar to BA in play style.

You might be right... they look fast and stabby and less reliant on old models.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    imperial demon models are going to be printing cash
    If the rumors of the Golden Throne being Empty in 9E are true, holy shit.

Holy Demons vs Chaos Demons.

As an aside, we need True Scale Custodes. They should be a full head taller than Primaris, but aren't.

Edit:
    Is this how they fix the Grey Knights?

POSSESSED IMPERIAL SPACE MARINES?

KiTA on
  • Options
    I don't watch Arch because he is part of the ugly side of 40k

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular

I think it was Master of Mankind that mentioned the LotD being led into battle by a "giant with silver arms wielding a hammer", so my Dream of Dreams was always that they'd get some more models and we'd see a bone and flame'd up Ferrus Manus as a Lord of War.

• Options
    I'm a bit disappointed that nothing of the background in the campaign books seems to be represented in the rules in them.

Jain Zar's now part of the Ynnari, but has no rules to take her in an Ynnari detachment. Lots of psykers popping up in the imperium. Not a single unit or rules adjustment to show that. You'd think maybe the sisters of silence would get something, too, but nada. Total disconnect between story and rules so far.

• Options
    honovere wrote: »
    I'm a bit disappointed that nothing of the background in the campaign books seems to be represented in the rules in them.

Jain Zar's now part of the Ynnari, but has no rules to take her in an Ynnari detachment. Lots of psykers popping up in the imperium. Not a single unit or rules adjustment to show that. You'd think maybe the sisters of silence would get something, too, but nada. Total disconnect between story and rules so far.

Well, the rumor is we're going to get new Codexes in the future, and there may be a "8.5 Edition" with rules updates as well. So we might see them then.

• Options
    There's also some fluff indicating the Greater Good is taking form in the Warp so, gods er'ry where

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    Looking at starting a loyalist army was the worst decision...

I am riddled with indecision! So many chapters look both fun to play and effective on the tabletop.

I might just build a generic army and play whatever rules feel good that day... though BA has some really interesting conversion and modelling opportunities using Sigmarines

Khraul on
    Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6