As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Shadow's going to need a gun. Lots of guns, in Sonic 3 [Sonic thread]

• Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    H3Knuckles wrote: »
    Donnicton wrote: »
    A few of the in-development fan games showcased in SAGE 2020 are looking real good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9RXRu64UKM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xd1eQyE55f0

The palettes for the level backgrounds in that first video are really dull and dreary. Also the animations for the bosses are not great. And I can already tell I'm going to have difficulty with depth perception on the special stage. But the level design & the music seem pretty good.

The second video looks way better. Like, the difference between the Sega Master System Sonic 1 and Sega Genesis Sonic 3. But one thing kind of stood out to me; in addition to Sonic, Tails, & Knuckles, this one has playable Nack/Fang, and an OC. No Amy, Blaze, Rouge, not even Cream, Marine, or Sticks... it's kind of weird to be getting someone's original character but not a single playable female character. I never got to play the Rush games that introduced Blaze, but she's really popular, and Amy Rose had some fun moves with the hammer in her Sonic Advance outings, I wish she got more rep in these kinds of projects.

I think most fans really don't like Amy because her role in almost every game is pretty awful. Her hammer stuff was cool though, but that's also pretty different from the rest of the characters.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular

No word on whether he willingly left or was replaced or what.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »

No word on whether he willingly left or was replaced or what.

On one hand, this sucks since I really liked his Sonic. On the other hand, it's not like we're getting new Sonic games anyway.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    edited January 2021
    Oh yeah the Whitehead widescreen full-rebuild mobile ports of Sonic 1 and 2 have been decompiled. You can finally run them on PC as well as some homebrew'd consoles (Switch/Vita) if you have the app files. CD was also done this way but the game has always been available on Steam.

Some gameplay footage if you want a preview:

https://youtu.be/fPq8S4Dk-hU

rahkeesh2000 on
  • Options
  • Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    I want them to put out a tweet saying "A word from Sonic on the departure of Roger Craig Smith:"

And then there's a video attached of Sonic talking, but there's no audio.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    Roger Craig Smith's thank you to his fans

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Netflix's new Sonic show is called Sonic Prime and comes in 2022

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    That probably solves the mystery -- Sega likely decided Sonic needed a refresh for the show and recast the character.

• Options
    skeldare wrote: »
    Netflix's new Sonic show is called Sonic Prime and comes in 2022

So is First Person what the Sonic franchise has been missing out on all these years?

• Options
    Apparently the cartoon is going to be some sort of multiverse thing, because everything has to be a multiverse nowadays.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Seems weird they'd do a multi verse thing at the same moment they cut loose the most recent VA for sonic. I'd be down for a show that pulled together all the different Sonics together if they got back the old voices for them.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Apparently the cartoon is going to be some sort of multiverse thing, because everything has to be a multiverse nowadays.

Ken Penders death glaring from some nearby bushes

• Options
    The recent Sonic movie already shows a multiverse. It doesn't automatically mean anything like crisis on infinite Mobiuses or the like.

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Announcing recasting of voice actors and such now doesn’t give me much hope they spent all that much time on the 30th anniversary game. Which is pretty bad when you consider the last main Sonic game was the 25th Anniversary game.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited February 2021
    If this is a multiverse thing I would fucking lose it if they brought back the Cosmic Interstate from the Archie comics to link them.

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »
    If this is a multiverse thing I would fucking lose it if they brought back the Cosmic Interstate from the Archie comics to link them.

They literally cant.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Fine then call it the *rolls dice* Celestial *draws a card* Freeway

• Options
    Shenl742Shenl742 Registered User regular
    I bet that the multiverse concept will just boil down to "Here's Cowboy World Sonic! Here's Caveman World Sonic! Here's Steampunk Sonic" etc.

FC: 1907-8030-1478
  • Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Sonic will fight Cinos, his evil double, while Metal Sonic and Metal Sonic and Shadow and Double Shadow and Manic and Sonia look on.

• Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited February 2021
    I'm guessing 'Double Shadow' is Mephiles or whatever from 2006?

Also, you forgot Silver Sonic (the robot hedgehog from STH2, not the hedgehog expy of Future Trunks from DBZ), Mecha Sonic (the robot from S3&K), and Shard (the Archie Comics' Metal Sonic that turned good and got a gold on black paint job). :P

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    Will they actually touch Sonic Boom Sonic?

• Options
    H3Knuckles wrote: »
    I'm guessing 'Double Shadow' is Mephiles or whatever from 2006?

Also, you forgot Silver Sonic (the robot hedgehog from STH2, not the hedgehog expy of Future Trunks from DBZ), Mecha Sonic (the robot from S3&K), and Shard (the Archie Comics' Metal Sonic that turned good and got a gold on black paint job). :P

Double Shadow is my original character, do not steal.

• Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    Apparently someone working on Sonic Prime answered a question on Twitter concerning which other Man of Action show it would be most like in tone: Mega Man Fully Charged or Generator Rex. The response was something along the lines of "Generator Rex, or maybe even more so".

• Options
    What are either of those like? Genuine question.

• Options
    Looks like Amy is no longer going to be voiced by Cindy Robinson

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    I mean they could always not bring Amy back at all.

• Options

You need a yandere or Sonic simply doesnt work

• Options
    edited February 2021

You need a yandere or Sonic simply doesnt work

Yeah, Tails. Knuckles is his rival. Dr. Eggbotnic is the antagonist.

That’s all you need, if you’re going for a minimalist cast. Obviously you can have her, and anybody else, just saying.

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    Sounds like they're redoing the entire cast. Has Eggman's VA said anything?

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    It seems like he's at least going to be in Sonic Prime

Though he then said this

skeldare on
    Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    It seems pretty clear Sega cleaned house huh?

Kinda shitty

• Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    There will be no voice actors, Sonic Prime will be a silent cartoon.
    Please download this sheet music to play along to Sonic's latest antics.

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    oh like how the comics would want you to pull out your Genesis controller to help move the plot along.

• Options
    Lego has apparently approved a submission for a Sonic Mania Lego set, which includes landscapes (with a loop and an extra life monitor), Dr. Eggman, a big-ass Egg Robot Eggman fits into, and TWO Hard-Boiled Heavies, with alternate build modes that include the Tornado plane and three more Hard-Boiled Heavies. Don't even look at it if you don't want to give Lego all your money. Seriously, don't.

• Options
    Do they still need to get Sega on board before this can actually become a thing?

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Do they still need to get Sega on board before this can actually become a thing?

Nope, SEGA's already on board it sounds like.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Well, Transformers Prime was absolutely great, so maybe it's a hopeful sign.
    Shenl742 wrote: »
    I bet that the multiverse concept will just boil down to "Here's Cowboy World Sonic! Here's Caveman World Sonic! Here's Steampunk Sonic" etc.

Yes, it'll be this.

na8mvw9sbq5b.jpg

See, two of the three are right there in the middle next to Samurai Sonic.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    That is an amazing time capsule of the time period.

So we've got: metallic sonic, biker sonic, astronaut sonic, mummy sonic, Hulk (tm) sonic, pirate sonic, batsonic, jester sonic, cowboy sonic, samurai sonic, cavesonic, magician sonic, Wolverine (tm) sonic, Beetles (tm) sonic, Viking sonic, diving sonic, naval officer sonic, drunk sonic, punch-drunk sonic, farmer sonic, wizard sonic (not to be confused with magician sonic), chef sonic, Three Musketeers (tm) sonic, napoleon sonic, drifter sonic, sailor sonic (not to be confused with naval officer sonic), fancy sonic, Sherlock Holmes sonic, a couple hiking sonics, mobster sonic, suit-wearing sonic, (not to be confused with fancy or mobster), french(?) sonic, army sonic (not to be confused with navy sonic), artist sonic, and finally skiing sonic.

Pretty sure at least half of these themes were episodes in Star Trek or Power Rangers at the time.

don't ask me why I spent the time to transcribe that. I don't know either.

Enlong on