Options

[Sonic thread] Let's Get Ready to Sonic Rumbllllllllllllllllllle!

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    So is that like a whole mode or is everything gonna have skins?

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
  • Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    TIL that if you use the individually-mapped "super transformation" button in Sonic Mania, you can use it to boost your Mach speed in the Special Stages. Just push it twice for instant Mach 3!

The devs are fully aware and don't plan to patch it out.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Can’t wait to play new Sonic game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0eZls9-jiY

• Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2023
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0RKj6vFe3k

Talks about a cancelled Sonic mobile game from the makers of Leap Day, the Sonic Chronicles sequel(s?) that never was, and of particular interest to me, getting to the bottom of that whole "Sister Sonic" version of Popful Mail for SEGA CD from way back in the day.

I hope someone digs up some screens or videos or something of that version someday, because I'd looove to see it.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    I think my biggest criticism is that the prototype tracks sound more appropriate for a bonus stage than for a regular game stage.

• Options
    You can mod the music back into Origins. So, problem solved.

Origins Plus seems to work fine now. I have not ran into any glaring bugs. I did have a weird thing in Sonic CD where I ran into a wall after traveling to the future, but I think that was normal.

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »

Origins Plus seems to work fine now. I have not ran into any glaring bugs. I did have a weird thing in Sonic CD where I ran into a wall after traveling to the future, but I think that was normal.

That only works on the PC version, problem not solved at all.

• Options
    Krathoon wrote: »

That only works on the PC version, problem not solved at all.

Well you got to mod your Switch. There may be a way to do it without modding it. I will have to check into it.

They got the sound files packed up on the Switch version. You could only do it on the digital version and not the cartridge version.

I don't think you can write to the cartridges. You may be able to dump a cartridge.

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Sonic Frontiers finally getting story dlc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMbtrz3ut9w

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    edited August 2023
    Hyper Sonic Super Sonic 2 confirmed.

Apparently there are other hints that this Story DLC is a reworking of stuff around the end boss, if the trailer didn't make that obvious. Also supposed to cram in payable Tails/Knuckles/Amy but I bet in this context, it could be a very restricted and simple implementation.

rahkeesh2000 on
  • Options
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    I think Ill survive the wait

• Options
    edited August 2023

Someone says they've released the Digital Deluxe content separately before, though? I don't remember if they did.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    Am I reading that right? The digital deluxe only gets you a rabbit skin?
    Edit: I can see now that's not what they meant, but they could do better than a tiny x in a large box.

rahkeesh2000 on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited September 2023
    New short for the new game. The animation's fantastic.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    edited September 2023
    Edit: wrong thread

Cool the Sega keeps making these promotional animations.

Arteen on
  • Options
    So is that supposed to have voices?

• Options
    So is that supposed to have voices?

Classic Sonic doesn't do voices

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    But when you drag to a solid 5-minute thing it starts feeling odd without, yeah.

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    It’d be nice if the 3D sonic team hired writers and directors to do their in game cutscenes like that. Instead of the awkward stand and talk they’ve been doing since sonic 2006

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User, Moderator mod
    Since 1999 really

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    But when you drag to a solid 5-minute thing it starts feeling odd without, yeah.

Especially when Eggman "talks," several times.

Ah well, the animation's so well done I can't get too worked up about it.

• Options
    I mean, they probably want these to appeal to as many people on as little a budget as possible. Going the silent route, they don't have to pay for voice actors in however many languages, nor worry about subtitles for however many as well. That probably helps keep the cost down so we can keep getting more. And it's not like it's hard to follow them without, either, so that helps.

• Options
    Yes let's keep the budget down for that $60 game. Just shovel it straight into Sega shares instead.

Works for Nintendo and Gamefreak well enough I suppose.

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited September 2023
    I don’t mind it here and this isn’t a response to the animation directly, but keeping costs low has kind of been the problem with sonic for a long time. Like Jesus Christ this is a billion dollar property, outside of Pokemon games it feels like the cheapest profits vs costs ip around. Sonic could be a massive game franchise but I guess they lucked out with the movies and they can keep being as budget as possible forever with their games

Prohass on
  • Options
    Fair points, but I mean, this is just a YouTube short. Not like it's an in-game cinematic.

...though it occurs to me they'd probably treat those the same way.

• Options
    Fair points, but I mean, this is just a YouTube short. Not like it's an in-game cinematic.

...though it occurs to me they'd probably treat those the same way.

Like silent is fine but characters clearly talk in this

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Shorts without speech are not new? The animation conveys the emotion behind the speech so it doesn’t need actual dialogue. Animation has done this for like a century to convey a certain mood.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Sterica wrote: »
    Shorts without speech are not new? The animation conveys the emotion behind the speech so it doesn’t need actual dialogue. Animation has done this for like a century to convey a certain mood.

Oh, absolutely. It just looks weird when Eggman "talks" with lip flaps and everything.

• Options
    Kind of think Classic Sonic would've settled better with a Mario-amount of speech. Just a few zingers here and there, without getting into the long talk-fests of Adventure. Sonic CD was sloooowly starting to push there, with "yes!" and "I'm outta here" and Amy's yips. But no Generations had to establish that everyone's completely mute, to the point that they *took out* voice from Sonic CD in Origins.

• Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    I love all the talking in the Sonic Adventure style games, just due to all the funny redubs.

https://youtu.be/n__GJuqLb00?si=IG5yZNe0Y7oJmEIS

• Options
  • Options
    Sonic Frontiers update is out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rftdA_pA8co

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    Haven't played much but I am a bit worried because so far the new characters feel awful to control.

While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    I installed, played for a bit, then uninstalled. I enjoyed Frontiers, tepidly, but I think I've had my fill on that game. This DLC is just more Frontiers.

Most concerningly, the DLC seems to take place on an existing island. Different puzzles, but same landmass and biome. And the new characters all feel awkward to control and are not suited to the environment the way Sonic is. And for some godawful reason the new characters all start at level 1 and need to unlock basic abilities like the cyloop and parry. Those can be acquired fairly quickly but its an awful first impression.

• Options
    At least it's a free update

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    It took me quite a while to figure out how to start it! For whatever reason, my save file (previously 100% as I'd unlocked all the achievements) had plopped me down halfway through the third island, with a ton of progress undone. I initially thought maybe this was like, the start of the new stuff, and all my percentages were wack cause they'd added so many little thingies to pick up? No! The save was seemingly randomly generated lol.

If anyone else was wondering; you need an endgame save with access to Ouranous Island to start the new stuff - it's a very poorly signposted warp ring on the east side of the map with a swirly black icon. If you download a 100% save file from elsewhere it should start you in the right spot.

Oh brilliant