As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Shadow's going to need a gun. Lots of guns, in Sonic 3 [Sonic thread]

1161718192022»

• Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    Dream Team does have full controller support. I think that's actually mandatory for all Arcade releases, as they have to be usable on Apple TV. As well as KBaM support for Mac computers.

• Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    Yeah, they talk about the controller support in the review stuff there, and you can see stuff like "X" button on the mapping screens, which I don't think you'd normally see in touch screen controls.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    I'm more triggered than I should be about a Genesis style soundtrack with mode-7 style graphics. Triple Trouble was great so I imagine this will be as well.

• Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    Eh, Knuckles Chaotix for the 32X (the Genesis add-on) had Mode 7-style rotation, scaling, and pseudo-3D in its Special Stages, so it's at least plausible.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    Kupi wrote: »
    Eh, Knuckles Chaotix for the 32X (the Genesis add-on) had Mode 7-style rotation, scaling, and pseudo-3D in its Special Stages, so it's at least plausible.

Should've said BC Racers. Chaotix special stages are mostly simple polygons like virtua racing.

There's a lot of youtube videos of this game running way too fast in emulators. On real hardware the game is a bit jank as seen below. Only the SNES really pulled off that kind of smooth 60 FPS scaling experience back in the day. Who knows, maybe there could be an "original framerate" option at some point to mimic the 32x/CD feel.

https://youtu.be/Wx8nsVagWWE

• Options
    I'd point at Sonic CD's special stages, myself.

https://youtu.be/gM9qWkxHBao?si=UIIQvwsAqLyGyFds

• Options

What self-respecting CD game is gonna use the CD's 3D abilities and not feature that awesome redbook audio?

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Sonic 1's special stages had mode-7-like sprite rotation and scaling didn't they? Or was it just rotation

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options

What self-respecting CD game is gonna use the CD's 3D abilities and not feature that awesome redbook audio?

Probably too many. SEGA CD's capabilities were vastly underutilized.

Granted, that was probably among the least underutilized, but still...
    Sonic 1's special stages had mode-7-like sprite rotation and scaling didn't they? Or was it just rotation

I think just rotation.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited December 2023
    the sonic 2 special stages definitely did a bit of sprite scaling and rotation and some primitive 3D polygon looking effects for the tube, though the 3D might have been a visual trick, but it looks real pretty much like real 3D rendering to me? but still not sure if they could do both rotation and scaling at the same time on the same sprite on base genesis hardware.

https://youtu.be/yZGJ0s70xRk

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilolCcB8Om8

Just some good ol' fashioned sprite work.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    Yeah and the TLDR on Sonic 3 Blue Sphere was that it was mostly a static background that they cycled the pallette on.

There's earlier versions and romhacks of the Sonic 1 special stage that make the rotation smoother, they decided on something jerkier for the final release for whatever reason.

The 16-bit drift just looks like mario kart though, and that's just super ironic given how brazenly Sega mocked it (because their system couldn't do anything like that!)

https://youtu.be/bun8tA_ksZw

• Options
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    So is that new, or just Generations+?

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »
    So is that new, or just Generations+?

A remaster of Generations with a new Shadow campaign.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited February 1
    im all for remasters, re-releases and frontiers style "good try" rough drafts, but man I wish i lived in a world where sonic could stand shoulder to shoulder with modern ratchet and clank or mario

i mean i know why that isnt the case, decades of money and talent have built up at nintendo and insomniac in a way sega would be hard pressed to match. I just hope all of this is laying the ground for something bigger

Prohass on
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited February 1
    I think the basic design concepts behind Sonic might just not be very good, at least for something that's supposed to be a mainstream mascot platformer? He's sort of a fundamentally disabling character, in that he makes a ton of possible gameplay ideas just not work. You could throw Mario into a turn-based tactical cover shooter and he'd do okay, but it'd feel wrong for Sonic.

jothki on
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited February 1
    jothki wrote: »
    I think the basic design concepts behind Sonic might just not be very good, at least for something that's supposed to be a mainstream mascot platformer? He's sort of a fundamentally disabling character, in that he makes a ton of possible gameplay ideas just not work. You could throw Mario into a turn-based tactical cover shooter and he'd do okay, but it'd feel wrong for Sonic.

I dunno I think thats a cop-out. theres tonnes of games where you have zippy fast combat, where a character dashes between or around enemies, with fast traversal in between, into, and out of, combat. The issue I think is just money and under-investment in the teams. These arent teams with a tonne of experience making top tier games and they certainly arent given the money to try and get there

Prohass on
  • Options
    edited February 1
    LBD_Nytetrayn on
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    What's a Shadow Generations campaign even going to be? His emo modern self interacting with his emo past self, and both finding the other utterly insufferable? :)

Or better yet, genuinely do that, but make the past self the one with the gun, and have modern Shadow go "The fuck was I on back then?!".

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Looks like they didn't forget about the Knuckles series: https://youtu.be/1kETt59yn6A?si=GeULhyykuimyK6IO

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    So my 7 year old is obsessed with Roblox. He's been playing a game on there called Sonic Speed Simulator. Has to be the most impressive Roblox game I've ever played. It's actually pretty good! It's Gatcha like all Roblox games, but you can get a shit-ton of characters to play as. Anyone else played this?

Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
  • Options
    HiT BiTHiT BiT 🍒 Fresh, straight from Pac-man's Registered User regular
    edited March 25

It looks like gameplay of the upcoming (as-yet unannounced) Sonic The Hedgehog mobile game 'Sonic Toys Party' has been leaked.
    The following video comes from YouTube channel @sonic_show, who has the scoop on this.

HiT BiT on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    So, in Sonic 3, Shadow will be played by... Keanu Reeves?

Also Jim Carrey as Robotnik is back.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    cloudeagle wrote: »

Shadow's going to need a gun.

• Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    Lots of guns.

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Sincerely, I hope they do some sort of mash up of the Death Egg and Sonic Adventure 2's storyline for this.

• Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    My reflexive response was "I don't know that I can see Keanu Reeves playing a villain", but it's basically guaranteed that Shadow switches sides in the third act, so "broody antihero" is probably a better description, and that's in Reeves's wheelhouse.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    "What about you, Shadow? Are you pissed off?"
    "...Yeah."

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    cloudeagle wrote: »

Shadow's going to need a gun.
    Dirty wrote: »
    Lots of guns.

Congratulations, you two are the new thread title.

Better than where I was going to go with it...
    Shadow: "I know Keanu..." Sonic: "Show me, Faker."

Actually, I only came up with the "Faker" part after I already changed it, so it might not have even been all that.

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Rumor has it movie Maria will be a anthropomorphic dog.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Sterica wrote: »

"Maria" will be the name of his motorcycle.

• Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    edited April 18
    Sterica wrote: »

Did someone say Sonic-loving anthropomorphic dog?
    Korone had a voice role in the JP dub of the Sonic 2 movie, after all...
    oiqu3n2hfsff.png

Opty on