As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Shadow's going to need a gun. Lots of guns, in Sonic 3 [Sonic thread]

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    The movie was really good. I would accept it as the origin story.

That would make the Sonic in the video games actually be from the future.

This has to have a really video gamey sequel with
    full on Eggman.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    The movie is looking to make 64mil for its opening weekend. That is a four day weekend, but its three day is looking to match or just beat Detective Pikachu which would make Sonic the best opening video game movie. Considering this is Sonic I find that both impressive and kind of hilarious.

Jeff Fowler, movie’s director, tweeted a big thank you to fans and says the Blue Blur has a bright future.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Axen wrote: »
    The movie is looking to make 64mil for its opening weekend. That is a four day weekend, but its three day is looking to match or just beat Detective Pikachu which would make Sonic the best opening video game movie. Considering this is Sonic I find that both impressive and kind of hilarious.

Jeff Fowler, movie’s director, tweeted a big thank you to fans and says the Blue Blur has a bright future.

Assuming no executives hold a grudge over the last-minute redesign, a sequel's damn near guaranteed.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    QuiotuQuiotu Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »

Assuming no executives hold a grudge over the last-minute redesign, a sequel's damn near guaranteed.

This probably has a better chance of becoming a full movie series than say the Detective Pikachu movie. Pokemon is more popular IMHO, but that was the only story that isn't 'collect all the animals, win all the shinies'.

Problem with a Sonic series is the longer it goes, the more time spent in the Sonic world, the more CGI characters and backgrounds, the more expensive the movie. There will inevitably be some point of diminishing returns where it's not worth the budget. Sonic is not going to be the next Marvel or Harry Potter.

wbee62u815wj.png
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    I think they can do a Pokémon Trainer movie. It wouldn’t be all that different from most sports movies, if they want low effort. I’d say they should pull a Rocky and have the Trainer lose at the end.

Or it could be more like the shows where the real plot is separate from the initial Pokémon training premise. That probably would be a better choice if they wanted a continuing series.

Personally I’d be down for more of a wider range of movies that take place in the same world. You could have the Pokémon Trainer story, Detective Pikachu (not sure how’d they pull of a sequel, but it’s never stopped Hollywood before) and a Pokémon Ranger movie.

Basically I just want more of those movies. :razz:

Edit- Oh a Detective Pikachu sequel is already in the works. I guess I shouldn’t be surprised.

Axen on
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    I guess Jim Carrey shaved his head. Was he wearing a wig earlier in the movie?
    I kinda wish Sonic ran up the building, but maybe he wasn't comfortable with that yet.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Considering all the CGI I don't think Carrey literally had to shave his head

• Options
    Quiotu wrote: »

This probably has a better chance of becoming a full movie series than say the Detective Pikachu movie. Pokemon is more popular IMHO, but that was the only story that isn't 'collect all the animals, win all the shinies'.

Problem with a Sonic series is the longer it goes, the more time spent in the Sonic world, the more CGI characters and backgrounds, the more expensive the movie. There will inevitably be some point of diminishing returns where it's not worth the budget. Sonic is not going to be the next Marvel or Harry Potter.

I’d have given all the money in the world if the end credits scene had Mario come out of the shadows to talk to Sonic about the Olympics Initiative.

• Options

I’d have given all the money in the world if the end credits scene had Mario come out of the shadows to talk to Sonic about the Olympics Initiative.

But it's CG Bob Hoskins and de-aged John Leguizamo

• Options
    edited February 2020

But it's CG Bob Hoskins and de-aged John Leguizamo

Is it crazy that I think this would be even more awesome?

Edit- Dammit now I want “Super Mario: Into The Mario-Verse”

Axen on
  • Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular

There's still time to do this with Shadow at the end of the Mario movie.

• Options
    Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    Considering all the CGI I don't think Carrey literally had to shave his head

I mean, Bald caps and makeup are a thing.

We saw it Saturday. My 3 year old loved it. I had fun. It was a fun movie! I can't imagine what it looked like before the redesign. Kudos to the studio for going through with that.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
  • Options
    That was a fancy bald cap if it was. It had stubble.

• Options
    Oh, Sonic hit 70 million during the weekend. First they thought maybe 45, then they upped it to 55, then 64mil on Saturday was the highest prediction. So I'm sure the studio is very happy.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited February 2020

I mean the DP team has said they have several ideas for new movies in this world.

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular

I mean the DP team has said they have several ideas for new movies in this world.

At first, I interpreted "DP" as "Deadpool."

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    I loved the SEGA logo at the start of the movie. SEGA needs to make a new console.

• Options
    Krathoon wrote: »
    I loved the SEGA logo at the start of the movie. SEGA needs to make a new console.

Highly doubt this'll ever happen. Though they still make peripherals for the Dreamcast which is neat.

• Options
    Yeah. SEGA is more software now. I think they should make retro games and release a collection of the 32x games.

• Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Krathoon wrote: »
    Yeah. SEGA is more software now. I think they should make retro games and release a collection of the 32x games.

They need to gradually replace the tower of power plastic cases with functioning minis.

s-l640.jpg

rahkeesh2000 on
  • Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    While I'm glad the Sonic movie was decent and is doing well in theaters I'm still a bit disappointed that they weren't more ambitious with it. "Sonic goes on a road trip with a cop to San Francisco" isn't quite as interesting as the premises of pretty much any other media adaptation in the franchise.

It makes me a bit more convinced that the upcoming Mega Man movie probably won't please me no matter what the filmmakers do, even if it ends up being a decent kids movie. To me one of the biggest appeals of the Mega Man franchise is that it's bright and cheery on the surface with an undercurrent of darkness, seeing as ultimately the setting of the franchise is a house of cards that keeps being destroyed and rebuilt over multiple generations and thousands of years.

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    Okay, I just saw a couple of tweets that instill a lot more confidence in the Sonic the Hedgehog sequel than I had before.

szvgh5rjy0nk.png

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »
    While I'm glad the Sonic movie was decent and is doing well in theaters I'm still a bit disappointed that they weren't more ambitious with it. "Sonic goes on a road trip with a cop to San Francisco" isn't quite as interesting as the premises of pretty much any other media adaptation in the franchise.

To be fair, there's a LOT of Sonic stories that are complete garbage, plus most video game movies are pretty crappy. I'm glad they kept it simple and got the Sonic and Robotnik fundamentals right before moving on.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    https://youtu.be/pGfG0JqJl-w

Sequel to this from like ten years ago
    https://youtu.be/pVI6Agm1-kY

• Options
    There really needs to be a sequel to the movie. Carrey better not weiner out.

• Options
    edited February 2020
    He seems pretty up to it in interviews, invested in the growth of the character.
    Okay, I just saw a couple of tweets that instill a lot more confidence in the Sonic the Hedgehog sequel than I had before.

szvgh5rjy0nk.png

Interesting.
    Sonic having an owl parental figure gets into some deep-cut early lore, too.

I honestly don't think the higher-ups expected the reactions this movie has gotten to the degree they would think to risk more.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Re: Sonic’s origins in the movie
    I wonder how long it’ll take for there to be Smash Bros fan-art of Sonic and Samus as drinking buddies, stemming from their shared bird-parent tragedies.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Thing is, most of the big plots from Sonic games I can think of tend to involve the Chaos Emeralds. I can see studios not currently wanting to do a story revolving around the collection of sixseven gems with incredible power.
    (Were those originally an infinity stones reference in the games? Especially with there only being six of them in the first game? I didn't get into comics until way after I played Sonic, so I never made the connection. Or Star Wars, so the Death Egg felt like a totally original idea to me.)

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    The chaos emeralds were almost certianly a dragon ball reference given they unlock super sonic

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    Chaos Emeralds have been banned from Sonic plots since... Colors? Maybe 06. They didn't even appear in most of the cartoons. There's all sorts of things that have been done and can done with Sonic that don't reduce to DBZ.

• Options
    homogenizedhomogenized Registered User regular
    The chaos emeralds were almost certianly a dragon ball reference given they unlock super sonic
    Except they were in the original game which didn't have Super Sonic.

• Options
    edited February 2020
    The creators of Sonic have stated in an interview a while back that some of their influence for Sonic came from the Marvel comics of the time. So it certainly isn't outside the realm of possibility.

That said, honestly, the idea of "collect X amount of Y to do wondrous things" is hardly a unique concept to Sonic or Marvel or DBZ or to anything really.

edit- Though if I were a betting man, I'd say the Chaos Emeralds are a reference to the Infinity Stones.

Couple things to keep in mind.

1) Prior to the MCU the Infinity Stones were called the Soul/Infinity Gems. There were six of them.
    2) Originally there were six Chaos Emeralds.
    3) The word "Emerald" in Japanese is often used as the generic term for precious stones in general (ie: gems) and not specifically emeralds.

Axen on
  • Options
    Chaos Emeralds have been banned from Sonic plots since... Colors? Maybe 06. They didn't even appear in most of the cartoons. There's all sorts of things that have been done and can done with Sonic that don't reduce to DBZ.

They were part of the plot in Mania, sort of, in that you needed them to reach the final boss and see the true ending.

Before that, they were similarly instrumental in Generations.

• Options
    edited February 2020
    Yes, two self-consciously throwback games. The general rule now is not to lean on them for new modern Sonic stories, with them relegated to a side-bonus if anything.

rahkeesh2000 on
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    So, they weren’t story important in 3 of the 5 games since Colors. Well, that’s a majority, but not exactly an overwhelming one.

The portable version of Colors had a super-Sonic true final boss, IIRC.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    I'm reasonably sure there would have been a Super Sonic vs Phantom Infinite final showdown in Sonic Forces if they'd finished the dang thing. As is, Infinite gets shuffled off stage with one of those crook things, never to be seen again.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Super Sonic wouldn't have worked with the Avatar teamwork theme at all, since only Hedgehogs can go super with the chaos emeralds. (this is apparently canon directly confirmed from the team.) Blaze needed a whole separate set of emeralds from an alternate universe to do her not-quite-super thing.

I guess there's a similar problem with colors, Super would've undermined the theme of the wisp powerups helping you beat the final boss.

Most of the time Super just seems to be an excuse to get Sonic flying around in outer space anyway. So as long as you like every single showdown being some variant of that...

• Options
    Super Sonic is rad and a whole game based around the mechanic would be really cool

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Most of the time Super just seems to be an excuse to get Sonic flying around in outer space anyway. So as long as you like every single showdown being some variant of that...

Depends on whether every single showdown can have a music track on the level of Live and Learn.

• Options
    edited February 2020
    I got tired of the Chaos Emeralds with their nonsensical incorporation into 06, anyway. I'd rather see other Macguffins, such as the Time Stones, with the Chaos Emeralds re-emerging every now and then.

That is one thing I liked in the Storybook Series: Not only were other Macguffins, but other super forms as well, like Darkspine Sonic and Excalibur Sonic.

LBD_Nytetrayn on