As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Shadow's going to need a gun. Lots of guns, in Sonic 3 [Sonic thread]

• Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    So apparently Ken Penders is claiming on Twitter that he's in talks to try and reprint the entire run of Archie's Sonic comics, even the ones made years after he quit.

• Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    Super Sonic wouldn't have worked with the Avatar teamwork theme at all, since only Hedgehogs can go super with the chaos emeralds. (this is apparently canon directly confirmed from the team.) Blaze needed a whole separate set of emeralds from an alternate universe to do her not-quite-super thing.

I guess there's a similar problem with colors, Super would've undermined the theme of the wisp powerups helping you beat the final boss.

Most of the time Super just seems to be an excuse to get Sonic flying around in outer space anyway. So as long as you like every single showdown being some variant of that...

S3&K had Knuckles using the chaos emeralds to become Super Knuckles. If you collected the super emeralds, you could also use Super Tails and Hyper Knuckles. Has the original source material been deemed non-canonical?

• Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Frem wrote: »
    Super Sonic wouldn't have worked with the Avatar teamwork theme at all, since only Hedgehogs can go super with the chaos emeralds. (this is apparently canon directly confirmed from the team.) Blaze needed a whole separate set of emeralds from an alternate universe to do her not-quite-super thing.

I guess there's a similar problem with colors, Super would've undermined the theme of the wisp powerups helping you beat the final boss.

Most of the time Super just seems to be an excuse to get Sonic flying around in outer space anyway. So as long as you like every single showdown being some variant of that...

S3&K had Knuckles using the chaos emeralds to become Super Knuckles. If you collected the super emeralds, you could also use Super Tails and Hyper Knuckles. Has the original source material been deemed non-canonical?

Going by Mania, it's apparently a difference between the Classic and Modern worlds.

Oh, and if I recall correctly, they said that in Modern that it's not just hedgehogs who are able to go Super, but specifically male hedgehogs.

I love this franchise, I really do, but sometimes the people calling the shots come up with some really needlessly stupid things.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    Hyper forms are also not considered canon to the Classic universe even. There's no such thing as super emeralds apparently.

• Options
    I think Mania might have retconned that with them looking drained or shattered in Knuckles' campaign.

maxresdefault.jpg

Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular

Going by Mania, it's apparently a difference between the Classic and Modern worlds.

Oh, and if I recall correctly, they said that in Modern that it's not just hedgehogs who are able to go Super, but specifically male hedgehogs.

I love this franchise, I really do, but sometimes the people calling the shots come up with some really needlessly stupid things.

The entire worlds concept seems to exist just to shit on Mania

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options

The entire worlds concept seems to exist just to shit on Mania

I honestly don't see how.

• Options
    I think Mania might have retconned that with them looking drained or shattered in Knuckles' campaign.

Interesting catch. The super emeralds look drained in the S&K special stage select before you capture any, but they aren't cracked.

hqdefault.jpg

• Options
    So, ol' plumber-boy got a bunch of attention on "Mar10 Day," including some sort of LEGO reveal, but something else happened that day...

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Haven't they already done Sonic something? I remember the mini fig

Still very cool

• Options
    HiT BiTHiT BiT 🍒 Fresh, straight from Pac-man's Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    Haven't they already done Sonic something? I remember the mini fig
    Yes, they made a LEGO Dimensions Sonic level pack:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfX6KJUQoW8

HiT BiT on
  • Options
    Sonic also has a fun idle dialouge for Bart Simpson referencing the one episode where he shoplifts

• Options
    edited March 2020
    The Sonic stuff in LEGO Dimensions was great.

1a1.gif

So many great LEGO versions of Sonic characters we never got... but maybe this will change that.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
  • Options
    If dimensions hadnt flopped I think we would have.

Really the only miss they had was the Simpsons in general. I guess Back to the futures open world was a mess too

• Options
    edited March 2020

Meanwhile, in Canada, there is a bid for SEGA to bring Canuck the Hedgehog to life for Canada Day:

https://twitch.tv/clip/CredulousFunnyChowderOSsloth

LBD_Nytetrayn on
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Of course it's jack septic guy as the voice

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Forgot to post this here when it went up, but I recently had the pleasure of interviewing the producer of Sonic & SEGA All-Stars Racing (and Transformed) for the game's tenth anniversary.

Still a favorite of mine, and I would love to see a re-release of it and Transformed on modern consoles.

• Options
    That sure went digital pretty fast. Assuming it has something to do with all the quarantinin' goin on.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    That sure went digital pretty fast. Assuming it has something to do with all the quarantinin' goin on.

No real reason not to, if you're not going to be seeing anything from cinema tickets. The sooner it's available, the more people suffering cabin fever will go for it.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    klemming wrote: »

No real reason not to, if you're not going to be seeing anything from cinema tickets. The sooner it's available, the more people suffering cabin fever will go for it.

Well I figured usually you shoot for parity with physical release.

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Some Studios are actually going to be releasing theatrical movies straight to streaming. Off hand I believe Universal will be charging $20 USD for a 48 rental.

Honestly this is something I think Studios should've been doing a few years back at least.

I know I'd pay $20 in a heartbeat to watch a brand new movie in the comfort of my own home.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    $20 for a 2 day rental sounds pretty garbage, but I can see why studios would enjoy that.

rahkeesh2000 on
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    $20 for a 2 day rental sounds pretty garbage, but I can see why studios would enjoy that.

I mean I pay more than $20 just going to a movie theater for 2ish hours. And at movie theaters they expect you to wear pants.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Axen wrote: »

I mean I pay more than $20 just going to a movie theater for 2ish hours. And at movie theaters they expect you to wear pants.

No using your phone, no outside food or drink, no going pantsless... theaters are just a bunch of fascists.

XJKSGfo_d.jpg

LBD_Nytetrayn on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Axen wrote: »
    Some Studios are actually going to be releasing theatrical movies straight to streaming. Off hand I believe Universal will be charging $20 USD for a 48 rental.

Honestly this is something I think Studios should've been doing a few years back at least.

I know I'd pay $20 in a heartbeat to watch a brand new movie in the comfort of my own home.

Yeah, Onward's going straight to Disney Plus next week.

It's possible we'll come out the other side of this with better attitudes toward digital.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    So that whole “news on the 20th of each month” hasn't amounted to much so far.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Last I heard, it was supposed to be at SXSW, but they're having to replan in lieu of its cancellation.

Not really sure this is the time to drag anyone for such happenings.

• Options
    Best versions of Sonic 1 and 2 on a console today.

• Options
    President RexPresident Rex Registered User regular
    Since I got it on Vudu (actual purchase for $20-ish; renting isn't available until April 28th), the Sonic movie was better than anticipated. I mean, my expectations were ridiculously low. So low I'm surprised they didn't die in a pit. But it's adequate.

The sheriff makes very questionable decisions as a character, but the plot is otherwise functional. I would be willing to support a second movie with Carrey developing end credits Robotnik. Less of the early movie Robotnik and the bar scene.

Now ...where is my Sonic Generations sequel? Also, how is Sonic Generations 8.5 years old. That doesn't sound right.

• Options
    That was Forces.

Turns out Classic Sonic doesn’t hold up that well when an actual 2D game was released months prior.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    I suppose that's true. I'll take Sonic Mania over Sonic Forces. I'm willing to settle for Sonic Hypermania.

• Options
    Sterica wrote: »
    That was Forces.

Very true. And contraversial opinion here but I think Forces might be my 3rd favorite 3D game because of it.

It's not great but I've found 100%ing it far more palatable than playing through Lost World's jank mechanics even once. Its utterly lacking in the ambition the Adventure games showed at the time (including World Adventure/Unleashed) but the slow cutscenes and non-speed gamestyles therein bore me to tears these days. And I call Heroes bottomless pit: the game. Forces level design is utterly lacking but I still think "boost" style being the best "3D" mechanic to date shines through.

• Options
    I think most people liked the gameplay, but felt the level design was real bad and Classic Sonic felt tacked on.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Classic controlled like dogbuns in Forces. I went back to Generations after and he felt way better. I got no idea what the hell happened there, to go backwards on that.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    Sterica wrote: »
    I think most people liked the gameplay, but felt the level design was real bad and Classic Sonic felt tacked on.

So, it's like the Sonic Advance games, then?

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
  • Options
    That's a quality Robotnik voice.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    A few of the in-development fan games showcased in SAGE 2020 are looking real good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9RXRu64UKM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xd1eQyE55f0

• Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Donnicton wrote: »
    A few of the in-development fan games showcased in SAGE 2020 are looking real good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9RXRu64UKM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xd1eQyE55f0

The palettes for the level backgrounds in that first video are really dull and dreary. Also the animations for the bosses are not great. And I can already tell I'm going to have difficulty with depth perception on the special stage. But the level design & the music seem pretty good.

The second video looks way better. Like, the difference between the Sega Master System Sonic 1 and Sega Genesis Sonic 3. But one thing kind of stood out to me; in addition to Sonic, Tails, & Knuckles, this one has playable Nack/Fang, and an OC. No Amy, Blaze, Rouge, not even Cream, Marine, or Sticks... it's kind of weird to be getting someone's original character but not a single playable female character. I never got to play the Rush games that introduced Blaze, but she's really popular, and Amy Rose had some fun moves with the hammer in her Sonic Advance outings, I wish she got more rep in these kinds of projects.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png