As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Rep. Cheney Accuses Tribes of "Destroying our western way of life" over grizzly protection

https://nativenewsonline.net/currents/rep-cheney-accuses-tribes-of-destroying-our-western-way-of-life-over-sacred-grizzly-protections/
RIVERTON, Wyo. — On a momentous day for Tribal Nations, Congresswoman Liz Cheney (R-WY), the House Republican Conference Chairwoman, stated that the successful litigation by tribes and environmentalists to return the grizzly bear in Greater Yellowstone to the Endangered Species Act (ESA) “was not based on science or facts” but motivated by plaintiffs “intent on destroying our Western way of life.”

One of the largest tribal-plaintiff alliances in recent memory prevailed in the landmark case, Crow Tribe et al v. Zinke last September, when US District Judge Dana Christensen ruled in favor of the tribes and environmental groups after finding that the Trump Administration’s US Fish and Wildlife Service (USFWS) had failed to abide by the ESA and exceeded its authority in attempting to remove federal protections from the grizzly. Tuesday, USFWS officially returned federal protections to the grizzly

I've checked with other news sources. Her quote wasn't quite as open as this and instead:
The court-ordered relisting of the grizzly was not based on science or facts, but was rather the result of excessive litigation pursued by radical environmentalists intent on destroying our Western way of life.
But still, the implication is pretty clear considering that the native tribes (Crow Tribe in particular) were the primary plaintiffs in the case.

I'm pretty shocked by this. I mean, yeah. The Trump administration uses language like this all the time, but... In Europe this is the kind of language used by the Ultranationalists. Like, no exceptions. Ultranationalists who, if they got their way, would like to turn the clock back to 1930 when race biology and pogroms were cool and fashionable.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
-Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden

• Options
    BigJoeMBigJoeM Registered User regular
    The republican party has been the party of white supremacy since 1964.

Trump has emboldened other republicans to lose the dog whistles and be openly racist.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2019
    Gonna come down on the "our way of life is toxic and irresponsible and probably should be destroyed, Jim" side.

Also Liz Cheney is a white supremacist, that's true too.

tynic on
  • Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    BigJoeM wrote: »

Trump has emboldened other republicans to lose the dog whistles and be openly racist.

They've been the white supremacist party since 1896. Xenophobia and racism runs deep in both parties.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    BigJoeM wrote: »

They've been the white supremacist party since 1896. Xenophobia and racism runs deep in both parties.

One party threw in 100% with the segregationists in the 60s

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Obligatory irony check on a white American woman telling native American tribes that they are trying to destroy our Western way of life.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    At this point about half of the GOP is indifferent to racism and the other half are some level of white supremacist. Certainly just about all of them are willing to use racial rhetoric for political gain.

And if we're talking about native americans in particular while the Democratic party is also not great about native issues, I'd up those numbers to like 90+% of Republicans being actively hostile to any policy that remotely benefits any tribal interest.

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    It wasn't based on science, true. The subspecies as a whole and the population being protected are both classified LC.

It WAS based on the same reason almost a third of ESA protected species are covered: because of their cultural or symbolic value or iconic place in their environment, the exact opposite of what Cheney is accusing them of. Half of Yellowstone's protected species are LC, but are considered iconic to the park and surrounding lands.

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    God these people are so fucking disgusting

Like lord forbid there be any land or resource they aren’t immediately able to rape for profit

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    Last I checked Blasting a large ursinoid in the face wasn't a core tennant of western ideals.

• Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    Murdering something a Native American holds sacred totally tracks though.

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    And by Western, she clearly means the USA - since Europe is actively rewilding areas to restore bears and wolves. But obviously not the USA that the Indians and conservationists come from, it's pretty niche.
    I mean I think if you polled most Americans with the question "should wildlife within a national park be protected" I'd guess you got 70%+ saying yes.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    FYI there is a rumor in Wyoming that she is violating the residency clause to run for office. As she slips up that she just flew in and post pics from the family compound in Texas often

• Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    Yet another Republican who never realized that the Colbert Report was satire.

• Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    The entire Cheney family continues to be repellent, morally repugnant slugpeople. Nothing changes.

• Options
    JepheryJephery Registered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »
    FYI there is a rumor in Wyoming that she is violating the residency clause to run for office. As she slips up that she just flew in and post pics from the family compound in Texas often

"Something about rootless cosmopolitan liberals..."

}
    "Orkses never lose a battle. If we win we win, if we die we die fightin so it don't count. If we runs for it we don't die neither, cos we can come back for annuver go, see!".
  • Options
    GyralGyral Registered User regular
    Gaddez wrote: »
    Last I checked Blasting a large ursinoid in the face wasn't a core tennant of western ideals.
    The right to bear arms.

25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    Gyral wrote: »
    The right to bear arms.

I remember reading a whole web comic about this. The ghosts of the Founding Fathers were consulted concerning their thoughts on gun control and it turned out "the right to bear arms" was literally the right to own bear arms.

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »
    Gyral wrote: »
    The right to bear arms.

I remember reading a whole web comic about this. The ghosts of the Founding Fathers were consulted concerning their thoughts on gun control and it turned out "the right to bear arms" was literally the right to own bear arms.

Family Guy also did it.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRGp0S7qZLw
    Reasonably sure that was not the first place I saw the same joke, but its the one that comes to mind.

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Fun bit of trivia, Liz Cheney was conceived to get her dad out of the draft.

https://www.nytimes.com/2004/05/01/us/2004-campaign-military-service-cheney-s-five-draft-deferments-during-vietnam-era.html
    On Oct. 6, 1965, the Selective Service lifted its ban against drafting married men who had no children. Nine months and two days later, Mr. Cheney's first daughter, Elizabeth, was born. On Jan. 19, 1966, when his wife was about 10 weeks pregnant, Mr. Cheney applied for 3-A status, the ''hardship'' exemption, which excluded men with children or dependent parents. It was granted.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Jephery wrote: »

Wyoming is a bastion of landed gentry Republicans.

• Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    edited August 2019

https://www.nytimes.com/2004/05/01/us/2004-campaign-military-service-cheney-s-five-draft-deferments-during-vietnam-era.html
    On Oct. 6, 1965, the Selective Service lifted its ban against drafting married men who had no children. Nine months and two days later, Mr. Cheney's first daughter, Elizabeth, was born. On Jan. 19, 1966, when his wife was about 10 weeks pregnant, Mr. Cheney applied for 3-A status, the ''hardship'' exemption, which excluded men with children or dependent parents. It was granted.

Oh so a fucking chickenhawk like John Bolton

Hacksaw on
  • Options
    JepheryJephery Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Jephery wrote: »

Wyoming is a bastion of landed gentry Republicans.

Point was that, Republican politicians don't tend to be the authentic local folk they like to pretend to be. (Bush's fake Texan accent comes to mind as well)

Jephery on
    }
    "Orkses never lose a battle. If we win we win, if we die we die fightin so it don't count. If we runs for it we don't die neither, cos we can come back for annuver go, see!".
  • Options
    Hacksaw wrote: »

Bolton
    Bush
    Cheney
    Trump

What a murderers row.

• Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    I don’t think a person needs to have served in the military in order to be a politician. Nor do I think avoiding the draft in and of itself is that bad of a thing, especially if you are a pacifist or against war in general or it’s against your principles/beliefs.

But if you do all that, then advocate sending young men and women to conflicts in order to pad your bank account, you can fuck yourself with a sideways pineapple.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    RedTide wrote: »
    Hacksaw wrote: »

Bolton
    Bush
    Cheney
    Trump

What a murderers row.

Yes, but you repeat yourself.

"A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
  • Options
    I don’t think a person needs to have served in the military in order to be a politician. Nor do I think avoiding the draft in and of itself is that bad of a thing, especially if you are a pacifist or against war in general or it’s against your principles/beliefs.

But if you do all that, then advocate sending young men and women to conflicts in order to pad your bank account, you can fuck yourself with a sideways pineapple.

The good/shit President divide breaks about the same percentage wise for former military men vs lifelong civilians. Ditto for those who use the military judiciously vs not.