As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

New added security at PAX West = Longer lines to get in now?

BluemeaneBluemeane Registered User regular
Just saw the 1.0 update, and am excited for all the news, including adding more security with metal detectors. But I am wondering the logistics of this as it is needed to 'enter the building'.

I am hoping they do not mean they will be right at the doors as that would be a nightmare of a pinch point to get in each morning, with the line becoming incredibly long as everyone is going to have stuff to empty their pockets out for small change, and metal objects. Me being a medical badge user I am really hoping they will have a separate security entrance for us as well so we aren't stuck standing painfully in the same lines as the masses to get in.

Also out of curiosity I wounder if these means medical badges/press get in at 8:30 on Friday now with the earlier opening? Will be chaos for sure as the booths were often still setting up and we were being held back last year even past the hour early mark because they were still moving large object and had forklifts n the show floor still. Hopefully they give the vendors extra time to set up, or they just plan better their setups lol

See you all in a couple of weeks!!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jj0mqt5d2a94.png

PAAAAAAAAAAAAAAXXXXXXXXXXX!

• Options
    midnamidna Greater Seattle AreaRegistered User regular
    When ECCC did it, it ran okay. Not huge lines or anything. Now, I'm not sure how effective it was. It was rather quick to go through, so it feels more like security theater than anything else. But it did go quickly.

5q5sdsqaqnv0.png

[ ] Badges [ ] time off [ ] cosplay

• Options
    BluemeaneBluemeane Registered User regular
    midna wrote: »
    When ECCC did it, it ran okay. Not huge lines or anything. Now, I'm not sure how effective it was. It was rather quick to go through, so it feels more like security theater than anything else. But it did go quickly.

But isn't ECCC still about half the size roughly as PAX West?

And do you remember if they had a secondary/special entrance for medical badge/handicap guests? I would imagine it would be on the corner at the top of the small steps closest to the Hyatt? (The North West corner under the glass canopy)

jj0mqt5d2a94.png

PAAAAAAAAAAAAAAXXXXXXXXXXX!
  • Options
    LuthyrMagnusLuthyrMagnus Registered User regular
    ECCC number of attendees would likely be similar to PAX. They did have a separate entrance for people with medical badges/obvious mobility issues.

• Options
    SkeleVaderSkeleVader Your Friendly Dark Lord of Destruction Registered User regular
    midna wrote: »

It was all theater. Several times my bad didn’t even get looked in. It was a joke. One good thing is ECCC can be used as a trial run and I’m sure they will make adjustments for Pax.

ECCC sells out, so I am sure it is a similar amount of people as Pax in the convention center.

IhtGIyi.png
  • Options
    midnamidna Greater Seattle AreaRegistered User regular
    ECCC number of attendees would likely be similar to PAX.

They are. ECCC reported 95,000 attendees over four days for 2018. PAX has about 25,000 people per day.

5q5sdsqaqnv0.png

[ ] Badges [ ] time off [ ] cosplay

• Options
    XalaraXalara Registered User regular
    It worked out well enough for ECCC. After the initial rush it was pretty easy to get in and out. Does require a bit more planning in terms of entering and exiting, but it will get better with the expansion.

Is it theater? A bit but in general it's something that insurance and high profile guests are starting to require at major cons. Never mind recent incidents.

• Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    Looks like two threads got started on this today, let's consolidate discussion to one of them.
    https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/228882/bag-searches-and-metal-detectors-questions

Geth, close this thread.

• Options
    GethGeth Legion Perseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    Affirmative zerzhul. Closing thread...

This discussion has been closed.