As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Joe Walsh And His Amazing Technicolor Primary Against Trump (not the musician)

HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration ThreadCentrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
edited August 2019 in Debate and/or Discourse
I'm kinda shocked there isn't a thread about this so here we go.

Trump has a Republican primary challenger for 2020. It's former Congressman Joe Walsh, not to be confused with the musician of the same name.

For those unfamiliar with him, Walsh was a Tea Party advocate and one term Congressman out of Illinois (he lost to Tammy Duckworth, a notably huge improvement). He went on after that to do a conservative talk radio show (which he just lost last night by the way, though he would've had to give it up anyway in pursuit of an elected office). He's very much what you'd expect; racist comments, pro 2nd-amendment (and has gone as far as to threaten people), and my favorite, for all his family values talk, wasn't paying child support for a bit. Don't worry on that last one; legally speaking he's all in the clear and caught up. All that said, he's pretty solidly for at least a year (maybe a bit more) been critical of Trump and the administration. He has concerns about the structure of government and the laws surrounding it getting really fucked up and he thinks the best solution is to run against Trump. I can't speak to his odds just yet but he is very much playing to the moderate Republican, something that arguably exists.

So here's what this thread is about.
- Discussing Joe Walsh; people might not know who he is and what he's about
- Discussing the implications of a primary campaign against a sitting president by their own party
- Discussing the primary campaign in question
- If you're going to share Joe Walsh tweets / things he's said try to make it election specific; he certainly has no shortage of opinions but we should try to filter them
- That said to the above note, I think election issues and his comments on them are also fair game

Henroid on

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    I thought you usually had one or two challengers even against a sitting president. Someone ran against Obama in 2012.

That said, I wonder if Trump is fuming about it. I see any sign of defiance as something he doesn't care for.

• Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    I thought it was the musician. Now I am sad

• Options
    cckerberoscckerberos Registered User regular
    I don't think he'll do any better than Weld.

cckerberos.png
  • Options
    BSoBBSoB Registered User regular
    I have no idea how a primary challenge on an incumbent works.

Is there going to be a primary election? Like, is anyone going to vote on this? debates? does the GOP as a whole acknowledge the legitimacy of this challenge as something that can succeed?

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    BSoB wrote: »
    I have no idea how a primary challenge on an incumbent works.

Is there going to be a primary election? Like, is anyone going to vote on this? debates? does the GOP as a whole acknowledge the legitimacy of this challenge as something that can succeed?

absolutely pointless

if he wanted to accomplish anything he'd run third party

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    cckerberos wrote: »
    I don't think he'll do any better than Weld.
    I didn't know any other Republicans were running. Shit, I might update this thread to be about their primary if that's the case.

Sorry mods.

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Neither Weld nor Walsh will go anywhere but Wlash at least sings the song of the base

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I might be giving Walsh a lot more credit than he deserves. He gets a lot of attention in my Twitter feed (including my unending bashing of him for being a deadbeat father) and is big enough on there in my view to warrant some sort of chance.

• Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    Joe Walsh is the exact same breed of snake oil peddler that Trump and his ilk are. They're grifters all the way down.

Anybody who stumped for the Tea Party and went on to be a "media personality" is just a different side of the same coin and should be treated with the appropriate amount of disdain and scorn.

In short: Fuck Joe Walsh and whatever he pretends to stand for.

I imagine were going to see a lot of Joe Walshes throw their hat into the ring to try and get a slice of this pie and I honestly don't see any of them being worth mention. The GOP is not going to field anybody against trump because they've lashed themselves too tightly to his mast. Its him or a Democrat. A moderate republican won't get the MAGA vote and the moderate Republicans will vote trump because "at least hes not a Democrat."

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    It seems like if people wanted a deadbeat racist buffoon for a president . . .

*gestures vaguely at everything*

• Options
    edited August 2019
    Juggernut wrote: »
    Joe Walsh is the exact same breed of snake oil peddler that Trump and his ilk are. They're grifters all the way down.

Anybody who stumped for the Tea Party and went on to be a "media personality" is just a different side of the same coin and should be treated with the appropriate amount of disdain and scorn.

In short: Fuck Joe Walsh and whatever he pretends to stand for.

I imagine were going to see a lot of Joe Walshes throw their hat into the ring to try and get a slice of this pie and I honestly don't see any of them being worth mention. The GOP is not going to field anybody against trump because they've lashed themselves too tightly to his mast. Its him or a Democrat. A moderate republican won't get the MAGA vote and the moderate Republicans will vote trump because "at least hes not a Democrat."
    I agree RE: Fuck Joe Walsh.

But look at what we're facing here. Let's hypothesize his primary gets traction and he actually wins against Trump. That automatically puts Trump out from having a 2nd term, and in the general the Democratic primary candidate has a possibly easier time.

Henroid on
  • Options
    BSoBBSoB Registered User regular
    What is the path for his primary to "get traction"? in a hypothetical?

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Trump has like 90% approval from Republicans. Probably higher among those who would actually vote in a primary. None of these yahoos are getting anywhere with a challenge.

Best case scenario is that it gets enough coverage and Walsh, et al depress a non-zero number of republican voters in the general.

Trump's response will probably be entertaining, though.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    Neither Weld nor Walsh will go anywhere but Walsh at least sings the song of the base

See, that makes me think he has even less chance than Weld.

Weld's going for the establishment Republicans who are embarrassed by Trump. It's not a big enough group to win but at least we know they exist.

Who exactly is Walsh going for? The base has no reason not to vote for Trump.

cckerberos.png
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    I do find it telling, though, that the primary is coming from Trump's right. There are no Republicans or conservatives out there saying "hey, Trump is a racist asshole, I'm gonna run because this isn't who we are" because it's exactly who they are.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    DunderDunder Registered User regular
    Moderate republicans are not going to show a schism in the party by going against Trump in a primary.

• Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Dunder wrote: »
    Moderate republicans are not going to show a schism in the party by going against Trump in a primary.

Considering how much support Trump has, I'm horrified to think of what constitutes a "moderate" Republican. Are they the ones that pretend to be upset about Trump but then still 100% support him?

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    Elendil wrote: »
    I actually disagree with this; there are Republicans who feel like their party has vanished and has been replaced by a ghoulish racist turd. They deserve a shot at trying to get it back on track. Which, hey, that isn't much of an improvement and they'll still be awful toward marginalized groups.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    His entire pretend campaign is just grift

• Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    I actually disagree with this; there are Republicans who feel like their party has vanished and has been replaced by a ghoulish racist turd. They deserve a shot at trying to get it back on track. Which, hey, that isn't much of an improvement and they'll still be awful toward marginalized groups.

And that's the crux of the problem. Trump et al are basically one of if not the final iterations of what Conservatism has been all about for the last 30 or 40 years. You can't really go back to saying the quiet parts quiet again now that they've been saying them out loud for the last 2 and half years. That genie is out of the bottle. It's all or nothing from here on out and anybody trying to be subtle about it is going to fail miserably against somebody like Trump who will just come out and say whatever deranged thing it is everybody's conservative uncle has been saying at Thanksgiving for the last 9 years.

• Options
    I do find it telling, though, that the primary is coming from Trump's right. There are no Republicans or conservatives out there saying "hey, Trump is a racist asshole, I'm gonna run because this isn't who we are" because it's exactly who they are.

Weld is challenging Trump from the left. Maybe too far from the left, in fact.

Like, I'm sure that very few people here would like his positions but he was considered a moderate Republican twenty years ago (and kind of famously had his career in national politics killed by Jesse Helms).

cckerberos.png
  • Options

Weld is challenging Trump from the left. Maybe too far from the left, in fact.

Like, I'm sure that very few people here would like his positions but he was considered a moderate Republican twenty years ago (and kind of famously had his career in national politics killed by Jesse Helms).

Oh yeah, missed your post, sorry. Doesn't really have any policy positions on his website :|

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    Didn’t the GOP just straight up cancel one of the early primaries just in case Trump might have a poor showing?

• Options
    Marathon wrote: »
    Didn’t the GOP just straight up cancel one of the early primaries just in case Trump might have a poor showing?

AFAIK, none have yet but a few states have said they might.

South Carolina is the most likely as the SC GOP apparently did it in 2004 for Bush (and the SC Democrats did it in 1996 and 2012 for Clinton and Obama).

cckerberos.png
  • Options
    NobeardNobeard North Carolina: Failed StateRegistered User regular
    Why in the hell is the host of America's Most Wanted running for pres? When did he become a politician?

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    This is the “You lie!” dude right

There was talk among the banking lobby of Sanford or Kasich running, but there’s no path- Trump is super popular among a smaller party, but not so small that there’s room in the middle

Captain Inertia on
  • Options
    Nobeard wrote: »
    Why in the hell is the host of America's Most Wanted running for pres? When did he become a politician?

That's John Walsh.

cckerberos.png
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Juggernut wrote: »

And that's the crux of the problem. Trump et al are basically one of if not the final iterations of what Conservatism has been all about for the last 30 or 40 years. You can't really go back to saying the quiet parts quiet again now that they've been saying them out loud for the last 2 and half years. That genie is out of the bottle. It's all or nothing from here on out and anybody trying to be subtle about it is going to fail miserably against somebody like Trump who will just come out and say whatever deranged thing it is everybody's conservative uncle has been saying at Thanksgiving for the last 9 years.

It is actually costing them votes though. It's what helped the Democrats in 2018, it's why a bunch of GOP Reps are suddenly retiring and it's what a bunch of the GOP in general are worried about. Trump and his politics are driving plenty of voters away from the party, most notably in the suburbs.

I'm not sure there's anything for a primary challenger to Trump to capitalize on though. The kind of people who would even notice a primary while there's an incumbent in office are not the kind of voters Trump is driving away.

• Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    Don't let the racist grifter get your attention just because he's railing against the bigger racist grifter

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    There's also another Trump primary challenger, Bill Weld. And I only found out because Pierce wrote about him:
    "What happened to the rest of the Republicans like me?" Weld said. "You might call them 'New England Republicans.' We're fiscally conservative. We're concerned about taxpayers' money. But, socially, we're embracing and we're welcoming. You know, I was invited to address the Republican National Convention in Houston in the early '90's. I was a sitting governor. I summarized my political philosophy as I want the government out of your pocket and out of your bedroom. For this, I was I booed at the convention, so maybe that was a sign of things to come.

"But that is what I think, and I think there are a lot of them still out there, especially in New Hampshire, so I have high hopes for that state to launch me past Mr. Trump in an arc. And there are just a lot of people I know, old friends of mine, in the Senate in Washington, who are keeping quiet because they think it's not in their political interest to stand up just now. And I'm not rubbing their noses in it, saying, 'Louie, how can ya? Doncha remember the good old days?' because I don't ask anyone to do anything that's not in their political interests. But, as I say, if they don't stand up and be counted, they're going to be defeated."

If you are going to run against this president*, the most essential skill to have is to not give a fck, and Bill Weld always has been a master of not giving a fck. As governor, he talked freely about his love for "amber-colored liquids" and his affection for Seatrain, a 1960's electric-violin-driven rock band. He once dove into the Charles River, fully clothed, to demonstrate the efficacy of programs to clean it up. He governed according to the philosophy he stated above. He was a Republican on budget issues, but he was well ahead even of many of the mossbacked Hibernian Democrats in the state legislature on women's reproductive rights and on LGBTQ issues. (Weld signed a bill establishing domestic-partnership rights for gay couples.) Born into privilege—there are two buildings at Harvard named after his family—Weld became every Irish Catholic's favorite WASP uncle. In 1994, he was re-elected with 71 percent of the vote. He even carried Boston.
    He quit a job as assistant attorney general under Reagan's crony, Ed Meese, and then testified against Meese in a hearing investigating the latter's corruption in office. Jesse Helms blocked Weld's appointment as ambassador to Mexico and Weld engaged in a lengthy battle to get at least a hearing on his nomination, lighting Helms on fire in the process.

Of course, the main point is that Trump has gotten at times the second highest approval amongst Republicans for a President in history, second only to Post 9-11 George W. Bush. He ain't going anywhere.

(Also that's a nice quote about the endemic lack of spines in Congress).

TryCatcher on
  • Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular

South Carolina is the most likely as the SC GOP apparently did it in 2004 for Bush (and the SC Democrats did it in 1996 and 2012 for Clinton and Obama).

This feels like this shouldn't be a thing in our political system. Just because you're a republican or Democrat doesn't mean your happy with the person in office and doesn't mean you'll vote for the other side. If somebody wants to challenge the sitting president from their own party, it should be embraced.

• Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    It doesn't matter if Walsh is a serious challenger or not. If he's on TV every day trashing Trump (which seems to be the plan), Trump will not be able to resist responding. *grabs popcorn*.

• Options
    rndmherorndmhero Registered User regular
    Has a primary challenger to an incumbent president ever been relevant? Literally ever?

• Options
    rndmhero wrote: »
    Has a primary challenger to an incumbent president ever been relevant? Literally ever?

Reagan in 1976, Kennedy in 1980

cckerberos.png
  • Options
    RickRude wrote: »

This feels like this shouldn't be a thing in our political system. Just because you're a republican or Democrat doesn't mean your happy with the person in office and doesn't mean you'll vote for the other side. If somebody wants to challenge the sitting president from their own party, it should be embraced.

Practically speaking, there's no situation in which a serious primary challenge to a sitting president improves that party's chances of winning the presidency. Which means that parties will do all they can to avoid it.

cckerberos.png
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    they can try whatever they want to "get it back on track", it's not gonna work

this is gonna have no relevancy and never-trumpers are basically all phonies

if he was running third party he might actually draw enough votes to shank trump, but doing that would cause a democratic presidency and that is and always will be a bigger threat to these guys than anything trump would do

a complete pointless grift and joe walsh deserves nothing, no credit whatsoever

• Options
    LadaiLadai Registered User regular
    edited August 2019

Ted Kennedy's primary run against Carter comes to mind.

Dude won 11 states, including California, plus DC.

Ladai on
    ely3ub6du1oe.jpg
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

Reagan in 1976, Kennedy in 1980

Roosevelt in 1912 too also I think.

• Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    TryCatcher wrote: »
    There's also another Trump primary challenger, Bill Weld. And I only found out because Pierce wrote about him:
    "What happened to the rest of the Republicans like me?" Weld said. "You might call them 'New England Republicans.' We're fiscally conservative. We're concerned about taxpayers' money. But, socially, we're embracing and we're welcoming. You know, I was invited to address the Republican National Convention in Houston in the early '90's. I was a sitting governor. I summarized my political philosophy as I want the government out of your pocket and out of your bedroom. For this, I was I booed at the convention, so maybe that was a sign of things to come.

"But that is what I think, and I think there are a lot of them still out there, especially in New Hampshire, so I have high hopes for that state to launch me past Mr. Trump in an arc. And there are just a lot of people I know, old friends of mine, in the Senate in Washington, who are keeping quiet because they think it's not in their political interest to stand up just now. And I'm not rubbing their noses in it, saying, 'Louie, how can ya? Doncha remember the good old days?' because I don't ask anyone to do anything that's not in their political interests. But, as I say, if they don't stand up and be counted, they're going to be defeated."

If you are going to run against this president*, the most essential skill to have is to not give a fck, and Bill Weld always has been a master of not giving a fck. As governor, he talked freely about his love for "amber-colored liquids" and his affection for Seatrain, a 1960's electric-violin-driven rock band. He once dove into the Charles River, fully clothed, to demonstrate the efficacy of programs to clean it up. He governed according to the philosophy he stated above. He was a Republican on budget issues, but he was well ahead even of many of the mossbacked Hibernian Democrats in the state legislature on women's reproductive rights and on LGBTQ issues. (Weld signed a bill establishing domestic-partnership rights for gay couples.) Born into privilege—there are two buildings at Harvard named after his family—Weld became every Irish Catholic's favorite WASP uncle. In 1994, he was re-elected with 71 percent of the vote. He even carried Boston.
    He quit a job as assistant attorney general under Reagan's crony, Ed Meese, and then testified against Meese in a hearing investigating the latter's corruption in office. Jesse Helms blocked Weld's appointment as ambassador to Mexico and Weld engaged in a lengthy battle to get at least a hearing on his nomination, lighting Helms on fire in the process.

Of course, the main point is that Trump has gotten at times the second highest approval amongst Republicans for a President in history, second only to Post 9-11 George W. Bush. He ain't going anywhere.

(Also that's a nice quote about the endemic lack of spines in Congress).

I don't know if there's any numbers for this, but I think Trump's very high approval with Republicans, matched with his very low approval with the general public, means a lot of Republicans who don't like Trump have stopped calling themselves Republican. That doesn't mean they won't rush right back as soon as a saner candidate shows up to reclaim the party.

• Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    I fully support Walsh due to it siphoning ~statistically insignificant~ funds away from trump.