Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

nVME SSD health and SMART warnings

TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane Registered User regular
edited August 29 in Help / Advice Forum
I currently have an nVME SSD as my boot drive in my computer - It's running via PCIe, and it's been relatively stable for about a year now.

Yesterday when I was running a routine backup, the backup failed with a Cyclic Redundancy Check error. This prompted me to look deeper into the health of the drive. A standard chkdsk scan didn't reveal anything untoward at all.

However, when I dug into the S.M.A.R.T. values for the drive via Crystal Disk Info, I found that the value "media and data integrity errors" had a value of 4. This is in contrast to a non-boot nVME SSD I have that reads 0 for that value.

I gather that S.M.A.R.T. works very different for nVME drives versus standard SSD and HDD drives, but I'm uncertain if this is something I ought to be concerned about. Some advice I've received is that the nVME SSD has backup sectors to compensate for these kinds of errors, and that so long as everything is running smoothly and the number of media and data integrity errors does not increase, that I have nothing to worry about - So take no action and keep an eye on it.

I've also seen advice that these errors are the harbinger of bad times ahead, and that I should not trust the drive. Advice from these folks seems to indicate that the drive should be replaced as quickly as possible.

I'm curious if anyone has any insight as to how to best approach this issue? Is this something fairly normal that I should keep an eye on, or will delaying replacement put me into a bad situation where I risk nuking my entire boot drive? Thanks for any help.

Note: I re-ran the backup after this initially happened, and the backup processed without incident the second time through. So I do have current backups just in case the worst happens!

VuIBhrs.png
TetraNitroCubane on

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    You're doing regular backups and the drive is running fine other than a momentary hiccup. Run it into the ground. Just keep a possible replacement in the back of your mind.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
    BlindZenDriverTetraNitroCubaneAridhol
  • BlindZenDriverBlindZenDriver Registered User regular
    I totally agree with Shadowfire. All storage can fail catastrophically at any time, it is rare but it happens.
    With a drive showing warning signs it is prudent to ensure no data on it is unrecoverable even more than normal, but other than that as long as it performs just use it - you can't fix it so the alternative is to see it as dead.

Bones heal, glory is forever.
    TetraNitroCubaneAridhol
  • TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane Registered User regular
    Thanks much for the help on this. I suppose I'll keep using the HDD for now, keeping current with backups and the knowledge that I might have to change it out at the drop of a hat.

It's irksome, though, not knowing what caused this. Makes me wonder if there's something amiss with the hard drive, or if it's with another component that will just damage a new hard drive after I replace it.

VuIBhrs.png